Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Ao Haru Ride

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Ao Haru Ride

Ao Haru Ride

Episodes: 12
    Aired: Jul 08, 2014 to ?
    Producers: Production I.G, TOHO animation
    Genres: Comedy, Drama, Romance, School, Shoujo, Slice of Life

Synopsis
    Yoshioka Futaba has a few reasons why she wants to "reset" her image & life as a new high school student. Because she's cute, she was ostracized by her female friends in junior high, and because of a misunderstanding, she couldn't get her feeling across to the one boy she has ever liked, Tanaka-kun.

Now in high school, she is determined to be as unladylike as possible so that her friends won't be jealous of her. While living her life this way contentedly, she meets Tanaka-kun again, but he now goes under the name of Mabuchi Kou. He tells her that he felt the same way as she did when they were younger, but now things can never be the same again. Will Futaba be able to continue her love that never even started from three years ago?
    Last edited by Skyguardian; July 02, 2014 at 12:54 PM.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ao Haru Ride

A very nice first episode. It's been so long since I read the manga that I don't remember the story well. Uchida Maaya was fantastic as Futaba.

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

What a burn from the old "love" Kou right after he helped Futaba... She is indeed shallow. Just trying to fake relationships and a different personalty so she won't be bullied anymore.
    Geez girls can be really annoying huh?

What can I say this was a promising start. One can only hope that this won't end with some half-assed confessions.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

A Kimi ni Todoke-like art, though the story seems slightly more on the gloomy side at the moment. This could be good drama.
    As for the "burn", if Futaba wasn't a nice girl, she'd have replied with "I don't want to hear that from a guy who changed his freaking name altogether".

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Leoat12's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Nice first episode, it seems an interesting shoujo. The characters are interesting as well, so we have a deal.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

This one is going to be interesting, also because I'm already liking the main characters.
    I wonder if Mabuchi really doesn't love anymore Futaba....I guess that we will have to wait for more episodes to know it.
    Some girls are really bitches though...

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I finally watched the first episode, and I liked what I saw. It stuck to the manga pretty well from what I recall (although I haven't touched it for about 6-7 months).

The visuals were pretty nice--I like the watercolor affect some scenes had. Then again, I usually don't doubt Production IG when it comes to animation quality.

I was a little worried at first about Kaji Yuki voicing Kou, and I know of some mention of his concern to deepen his voice, but I think he did a pretty good job with the character. I think he channels Kou pretty well and his laid-back/nonchalant/cold attitude. And of course, Maaya Uchida is great for Futaba.

Looking forward to the next ep for sure. I've been waiting for a good, animated shoujo.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    I was a little worried at first about Kaji Yuki voicing Kou, and I know of some mention of his concern to deepen his voice, but I think he did a pretty good job with the character. I think he channels Kou pretty well and his laid-back/nonchalant/cold attitude. And of course, Maaya Uchida is great for Futaba.
    Honestly, Yuki Kaji's voice is best for the old, bright Kou. Unfortunately that high voice didn't really suit the new him well. Especially knowing the actor who played him in the movie, Masahiro Higashide, also has a deep voice from what I remember in xxxHolic. But that is something fairly minor which I'm sure I can overlook along the way.

When I heard of AHR's adaptation to anime and movie, I was instantly worried about how the plot would be played since even the manga is still on-going and we only had like, few plot twists with solutions which didn't feel complete yet. But I guess it means we don't need to think about the ending too much and should just go with the flow. This is a story about forgiving, moving on, and appreciating what you have in life, so that's something to look forward to. I'm a sucker for this kind of artwork design and the soundtrack/BGMs are not bad either so hopefully this anime will execute the rest with beauty!

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Futaba needs to be herself before she expects Kou to like her. His change is understandable because he underwent troubles during the three years; however, Futaba is merely creating a mask so people would like her. It seems as if Kou would indirectly help her get rid of that fake persona. (I haven't read the manga.)

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    The visuals were pretty nice--I like the watercolor affect some scenes had. Then again, I usually don't doubt Production IG when it comes to animation quality.
    I LOVED the watercolour touches during the flashback scenes. It was a nice touch, and I wouldn't have minded if they kept it throughout the episode.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    Futaba needs to be herself before she expects Kou to like her. His change is understandable because he underwent troubles during the three years; however, Futaba is merely creating a mask so people would like her. It seems as if Kou would indirectly help her get rid of that fake persona. (I haven't read the manga.)
    Spoiler show
    Last edited by naruto-niichan; July 11, 2014 at 09:55 AM.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Spoiler show
    Spoiler show

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Good first episode. Their relationship degraded because of her and she created a persona to have "friends". My favorite part was the scene with Mabuchi asking to the grandma to apologize, what she did was unacceptable, likewise Futaba should have apologized to him when they were younger...

I like the art and the music, IG never disappoints.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally Futaba abandoned her facade, thus realizing what's more important, and started going back to how she was in the past.
    Loved this episode and Kou should just admit that he's still in love with her. XD
    As for the rest, I'm glad that Futaba will soon have true friends (and possibly a boyfriend).

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

They meet each other so often now, she lost two "friends" and won a new one. I understood why I got confused in the first episode, Tanka and Tanaka-sensei are like two peas in a pod.
    How can someone detest Yuuri?

I wonder what she will tell him next ep.

Quote Originally Posted by Zasz View Post
    Finally Futaba abandoned her facade, thus realizing what's more important, and started going back to how she was in the past.
    Loved this episode and Kou should just admit that he's still in love with her. XD
    As for the rest, I'm glad that Futaba will soon have true friends (and possibly a boyfriend).
    It's likely that he loves her but nothing he did implies that he is still in love for the moment IMO, even that hug.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Demonspeed View Post
    It's likely that he loves her but nothing he did implies that he is still in love for the moment IMO, even that hug.
    I just said that out of frustration.
    While it's true that at the moment none of his actions imply anything, it's also true that there is a residual love for Futaba in him.
    I guess that it will be up to Futaba to make him fall in love with her once again.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast