Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast

Thread: General Manga News and Announcements

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Newkerzy's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: General Manga News and Announcements

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...kekkaishi-more

One question..... is this gonna be free??? they'd better make it free, otherwise scanlations will never stop. If anything they'll need a good deal with the readers with the "free" option.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

@Newkerzy - http://twitter.com/#!/debaoki/status/94476164881580034

Read more of her tweets from comic-con to get a mini transcript of the manga panels.

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Newkerzy View Post
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...kekkaishi-more

One question..... is this gonna be free??? they'd better make it free, otherwise scanlations will never stop. If anything they'll need a good deal with the readers with the "free" option.
    They have not announced yet. Most likely the basic features will be free with a pay premium service. I have a hunch that anyone who wants to read Naruto, One Piece, or Bleach the day they come out will have to pay while the latest issue of Comic Beam will be free. If I am correct it will be good for people like me who read a lot of obscure manga. It is possible they could allow a specific number of chapters a week to be read for free, with a premium service for anyone who wants unlimited (or less limited) number of views.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, you mean similarly to mangastream.... whereas MS deletes the previous chapters, they have the older chapters on premium service. Hmmm... yeah, that would definitely work. Or maybe they have an early subscription system, with the early subscribers getting it first through payment while the non-subscribers get it a few days later. Or maybe it could work like this, the non-subscribers get it on the same day or a few days after it hits the stands. While subscribers get it on the same day as early subscribers in Japan.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

So... nobody knows Jmanga has just been launched??

Would U.S. netizens review the site?? I'd like to the reviews and all that as I'm an international netizen.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Would U.S. netizens review the site?? I'd like to the reviews and all that as I'm an international netizen.
    I've tried it out. The interface is decent. The amount of titles are pretty good for launch day. The prices are bad though. $8.99 per volume. I can get a paperback copy for that price from Amazon, and Viz Manga and Dark Horse are selling digital volumes for like $4.99.

The Manga Critic
    and Manga Worth Reading give a more in depth review.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, as I expected. The prices are horrible, and shows that they know next to nothing about competing . But since this is only in its preliminary stages, we'll just have to see. Frankly, I believe that Akamatsu's J-comi format is the way to go. Hell, Akamatsu even says that the amount of revenues he's gained from the site is no different than when he publishes his manga in print. That's not a bad thing, really. And oh, let's not forget just how many popular mangas can gain in their revenues.

Let's say for every hit on the site or manga series, the author gains $1 for each hit. Let's look at Naruto's statistics on MF, shall we?? it has 14-15 MILLION hits every month. Multiply that by 12, and Kishi would approximately get 180 MILLION dollars a year. And if I remember correctly (from Bakuman), mangakas earn LESS than that per year (not including tankobon sales if I'm correct). That's a hell lot of money and it would be stupid, I believe, to NOT follow Akamatsu's format. And more over, they practically pay next to zero if there's a fan willing to voluntarily translate their mangas.

And BTW, I have a question, what is the magazine anyways?? do they release the most recent chapters of a manga in Japan or what???

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Yup, as I expected. The prices are horrible, and shows that they know next to nothing about competing . But since this is only in its preliminary stages, we'll just have to see. Frankly, I believe that Akamatsu's J-comi format is the way to go. Hell, Akamatsu even says that the amount of revenues he's gained from the site is no different than when he publishes his manga in print. That's not a bad thing, really. And oh, let's not forget just how many popular mangas can gain in their revenues.

Let's say for every hit on the site or manga series, the author gains $1 for each hit. Let's look at Naruto's statistics on MF, shall we?? it has 14-15 MILLION hits every month. Multiply that by 12, and Kishi would approximately get 180 MILLION dollars a year. And if I remember correctly (from Bakuman), mangakas earn LESS than that per year (not including tankobon sales if I'm correct). That's a hell lot of money and it would be stupid, I believe, to NOT follow Akamatsu's format. And more over, they practically pay next to zero if there's a fan willing to voluntarily translate their mangas.
    IIRC, Akamatsu says that he isn't interested in using his format for ongoing manga in THIS INTERVIEW. I haven't read it in a while, but I remember him saying something like using his method for ongoing series would put editors and the traditional way of publishing out of business. That's not to say it wouldn't work.

Quote Quote:
    And BTW, I have a question, what is the magazine anyways?? do they release the most recent chapters of a manga in Japan or what???
    Are you talking about the free little "magazine that JManga is offering each week? If so, it is just sample chapters of random manga that they pick. Not the most recent chapters. I think it will be a long time before JManga offers the most recent chapters online in a timely manner, if at all. THIS INTERVIEW with the JManga creators from Comic-Con makes it seem like mass simultaneous worldwide releases would be next to impossible for them to do.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Galactic Tomahawk's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Are these gonna be series or oneshots?

If it's a series I'm interested in Raiku's.
    Last edited by Galactic Tomahawk; August 18, 2011 at 11:07 PM.

Horrible Person 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member xi0's Avatar
    Country
    Pyke
    Post Thanks / Like

I think the site is really below expectations. The price-point has already been mentioned, but the reader is just awful. The image quality is decent, but they didn't even bother joining double pages together. That, and they only offer previews and no free books to read. Marvel's website at least offers some free comics to read. A poor effort in my opinion.

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by MattC302 View Post
    IIRC, Akamatsu says that he isn't interested in using his format for ongoing manga in THIS INTERVIEW. I haven't read it in a while, but I remember him saying something like using his method for ongoing series would put editors and the traditional way of publishing out of business. That's not to say it wouldn't work.

Are you talking about the free little "magazine that JManga is offering each week? If so, it is just sample chapters of random manga that they pick. Not the most recent chapters. I think it will be a long time before JManga offers the most recent chapters online in a timely manner, if at all. THIS INTERVIEW with the JManga creators from Comic-Con makes it seem like mass simultaneous worldwide releases would be next to impossible for them to do.
    Actually, I already knew that. But I was just simply pointing out how the revenues isn't that all different from traditional ones. (although it would be nice if he did serialize Negima on that site)

As for mass releases around the world, if they're going to take scanlation teams seriously, then it should be no problem. Although, they will certainly have to be very active in our community so that they know which scanlation teams are the best and which translators are good. Perhaps MH can play a part in that.

BTW, I just love this part of the interview:

Quote Quote:
    Q: Everything about JManga sounds amazing, and I'm just loving it – but how much is it going to cost?

(Lots of nervous looks as the publishers look to each other, wondering who's going to take that question)

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

As for mass releases around the world, if they're going to take scanlation teams seriously, then it should be no problem. Although, they will certainly have to be very active in our community so that they know which scanlation teams are the best and which translators are good. Perhaps MH can play a part in that.
    It is not unusual for online translators to be hired for legitimate translations, legitimate graphics work is so anonymous that it's hard to say if any scanlators have ever graduated. Because they have the master copies, publishers don't really need any cleaning done. They mostly need typesetting, maybe the occasional redraw. They don't appear interested in binding double pages online though. Ultimately they could hire graphic design interns for $10 an hour rather than outsource to scanlators.

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galactic Tomahawk View Post
    Are these gonna be series or oneshots?

If it's a series I'm interested in Raiku's.
    As I read it - I can read French - 5 manga adaptations in 5 different magazines
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Morocco
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.manga-news.com/index.php/...i-san-en-pause

Sei-Onii-san will take A break

---------- Post added August 23, 2011 at 11:23 PM ---------- Previous post was August 20, 2011 at 04:53 PM ----------

Second Anime Movie of Gintama Announced : http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=319111

Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Here's another different manga site:

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/inte...lobal-releases

This one accepts contributions from the scanlation community.

The 7 Dragons Of Fiore

New Reply
Page 12 of 47 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 14 22 ... LastLast