Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: International Manga After Naruto and Bleach

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Weapon_X's Avatar
    Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

International Manga After Naruto and Bleach

I just wonder what will happen when Naruto and Bleach end...in America and Europe I mean. OP is not popular outside Japan whatsoever, but Naruto is #1 with Bleach coming #3 (Death Note#2) And the sales according to Viz for the volumes is 4 million...
    ..: Greatest Doujutsu Prodigies :..

Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Manga similar to Naruto or Bleach

VIZ will be making a huge OP push this January, releasing 5 volumes a month between then and June. If they are not already, the latest chapters will be running in U.S. Shonen Jump. Bleach has lost a lot of ground in the states already, Rosario to Vampire is just as popular now. Naruto could be hard to replace, it's sales really are that much higher then anything else. VIZ will manage, they've diversified enough, have enough popular series that the blow should be lightened a bit. They've done a great job with their Shojo Beat line; Vampire Knight and Ouran are very popular. Otomen is now one of their best selling manga. Black Bird volume 1 made the New York Times graphic novels charts without benefit of scanlations past volume 2. Kimi ni Todoke volume is also doing pretty well. If their push for seinen works, that would be big.

Tokyopop is in much bigger trouble. Their only hit is Fruits Basket, U.S. serialization already ended and it is their only remaining hit.

Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: International Manga After Naruto and Bleach

I believe now that VIZ licensed bakuman it's going to be a huge sealler in america.

Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Will Psyren be released by Viz? Because I see Bleach selling but with OP I just don't see it being sold Internationally. Internationaly it's all about action and stuff like that, you go anywhere and most people would know about Naruto and Bleach rather then OP. Also in the UK, OP doesn't air on TV only Naruto and Bleach do.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Psyren has not been licensed. Toriko and Bakuman will be the next Shonen Jump titles, out sometime in 2010.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Casterly Rock
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Weapon_X View Post
    Will Psyren be released by Viz? Because I see Bleach selling but with OP I just don't see it being sold Internationally. Internationaly it's all about action and stuff like that, you go anywhere and most people would know about Naruto and Bleach rather then OP. Also in the UK, OP doesn't air on TV only Naruto and Bleach do.
    Well, here in the states Naruto was taken off the air nearly a year ago and its popularity is still strong and One Piece is only on Funimation (I think) and not many people get that.

One Piece is more popular here (manga wise) than people thank. The sales have been hurt because of the slow release, but Viz wouldn't make such a push to release them all so fast if there wasn't a demand for them.

Bakuman and Toriko will probably have a good chance of getting pretty popular. Hunter x Hunter and D. Gray-man sell pretty well too I think. And I think there is a lot of interest in Prince of Tennis as well as Slam Dunk tough I could be wrong.

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Bakuman any good? I've never tried it but i know it's the same author as Death Note and apparently there isn't any supernatural stuff going on in Bakuman, is it?

Hell even Death Note is more popular then Bleach in the UK and I think it's in America as well. But the sales of Bleach,Death Note etc don't compare to the Naruto ones...Naruto airs a lot of Jetix, keep repeating the same episodes and also the dvd boxsets get sold preety easily as well. Same with the manga...

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Death Note was more popular then Bleach when the anime was on TV. Since the anime ended Bleach past it.

Bakuman is an extraordinary series. Well written, intelligent, fast paced, a wealth of information about the manga industry and Jump specifically. While not an action series it has all the suspense of Death Note. You will care how popular Ashirogi - sensei's Akamaru Jump one shots were! My avy is from Bakuman. And yes, I think it is much better then Death Note.

Country
    England
    Post Thanks / Like

Even the Death Note is more popular then the Bleach manga still...

Aw man, it's not action like Death Note. Forget reading it then

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ruggia's Avatar
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    ! My avy is from Bakuman. And yes, I think it is much better then Death Note.
    i agree on that too. I consider Bakuman as a MUST read series regardless whether one likes it or not. its extremely "educational". and i like it much better than death note.

i doubt Bakuman will get popular internationally though. western people don't know much about manga serializations to make it into a hit.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

The "by the creators of Death Note" sticker they will paste to the front will go a long way. Even Ral Grad has done decently in the states. It has a big online following, should translate into good sales. I wouldn't expect a Naruto, or even Bleach, level hit.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    The "by the creators of Death Note" sticker they will paste to the front will go a long way. Even Ral Grad has done decently in the states. It has a big online following, should translate into good sales. I wouldn't expect a Naruto, or even Bleach, level hit.
    Yea, and I bet all the people who read even a little manga will find it facinating. The story is real good and I think the first chapter and volume are easily relatable. I hope it does well at least I fricken love bakuman.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member cleodux's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

OP is not popular outside Japan?... are you sure about that? lol. I don't know about America or Europe, but surely in Asia OP is well known. The anime is airing on the same week in Taiwan at least (and other Asian countries). Manga volumes and chapters are up to date. Other popular manga include Naruto, Bleach and Reborn

I hope Gintama become more popular at least in Singapore. haiz...

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ruggia's Avatar
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cleodux View Post
    OP is not popular outside Japan?... are you sure about that? lol. I don't know about America or Europe, but surely in Asia OP is well known. The anime is airing on the same week in Taiwan at least (and other Asian countries). Manga volumes and chapters are up to date. Other popular manga include Naruto, Bleach and Reborn

I hope Gintama become more popular at least in Singapore. haiz...
    to be more specific, OP is not that popular in U.S. compared to how it does in other places. OP sale in U.S. isn't even in top-10 best selling mangas, and its not as successful as other places, thanks to lack of volumes, and possibly 4kids dub.

it could all change next year.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Mushashi's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

it is pretty popular, but half its readers are 12 years old and had no idea that the series was already way ahead and made, they thought they were reading it just as it was coming out. i remember when they did the huge push with naruto it increased popularity greatly the same will happen with op

New Reply