Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Pactio Cards: Database & Discussion (Based On The Manga)

MH Senpai 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Pactio Cards: Database & Discussion (Based On The Manga)

One of the most important points of this manga is the Pactio cards & the artifacts which we see appear along with it. I have seen many places around the net but i never found a correct amount of info regarding the pactio cards. So after collecting many info form many sources (including the manga story itself), i was finally able to create this database based on the pactio cards appeared in the manga till now. I am creating this thread for the sole purpose that people would find it easy to find the info's about the pactio cards they wish to search about.

Along with acting as the database for the pactio card info's, this thread will also be used to discuss about the cards as well as for speculations of future pactio cards to appear in the manga & the artifacts along with it.

Database:

Information about Pactio:
    Spoiler:  show

Here is a Scan which explain the parts of the pactio cards,

Pactio Cards of the people who have made the contract with "Negius Springfieldes (Negi Springfield)".

Other Pactio Cards which appeared in the Manga,

Dead Pactio Cards which appeared in the manga,

Mistake Pactio Cards made till now in the Manga,

Backside of the Pactio Cards which contains the Master's Name,

Announcement:- If anyone wishes to get more in-depth info about any type of Artifacts (be it pactio ones or non-pactio ones) or any other things relating to the Negima World (like spell info, abilities, etc), you can check “Vetus”.

Note:- Thanks to all the people who are helping me in making this thread better. I wouldn't have been able to do this much without your help.
    Last edited by Shadow Limiter; June 28, 2011 at 11:36 AM. Reason: a few minor corrections (more updates later)

2. Thanks 23 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kuranzyan's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Pactio Cards: Database & Discussion (Based On The Manga)

Name: Cagurazaca Asuna (Asuna Kagurazaka)
    Nickname: Bellatrix Sauciata
    Bellatrix translates to warrior woman.
    I can't find the exact meaning of Sauciata at this point.

Name: Mijazaci Nodoka (Nodoka Miyazaki)
    Nickname: Pudica Bibliothecaria
    Pudica: feminine form of Pudico, which in turn means modest.
    Bibliothecaria is translated to (female) librarian.

Name: Sacurazaci Setuna (Setsuna Sakurazaki)
    Nickname: Galdiaria Alata
    I can't find the meaning of Galdiaria at this point.
    Alata translates to wing (through an annoying chain of words ending at alare).

Konoka Konoe:
    Nickname: Regina Medicans

Regina translates directly to Queen.
    Medicans: 1. healing, curing
    2. medicating
    3. dyeing with color

As you can see, Medicans is a bit harder to translate, but seeing the nature of her artifact, it's relatively safe to say it's the first option.

Name: Ajase Jue (Yue Ayase)
    Nickname: Philosophastra Illustrans
    Philosophastra translates to false / charlatan philosopher.
    Illustrans: translates to explaining / enlightening.

Name: Saotome Haruna (Haruna Saotome)
    Nickname: Fictrix Comica
    Fictrix translates to fictional.
    Comica apparently translates to comic, but in regards to her artifact it's safe to say it's supposed to be something along the line of "drawing/design".

Name: Hasegawa Cisame (Chisame Hasegawa)
    Nickname: Idolum Virtuale
    Idolum translates to:
    1. An insubstantial image; a spectre or phantom
    2. A misconception or fallacy
    Virtuale translates to, obviously, Virtual.

Name: Asacura Cazumi (Kazumi Asakura)
    Nickname: Reportatrix Denudans
    Reportatrix translates to (female) reporter
    Denudans: To strip / Lay bare. Regarding her hobby, it's probably more about revealing secrets than the idea you probably had pop up in your mind, heh.

Name: Nagasa Caede (Kaede Nagase)
    Nickname: Speculatrix Clandestina
    I cannot find the meaning of speculatrix at this point.
    Clandestina translates to undercover, which in Kaede's case the term actually goes a step further. Everyone inside her artifact is "under cover".

Name: Gu Fei (Ku Fei)
    Nickname: Pugilatum Exercens
    Pugilatum translates to boxing, the martial sport.
    Exercens translates to something along the lines of exercise which, given her overall activities in the manga fits her like a glove.
    Last edited by Kuranzyan; August 27, 2009 at 01:53 PM.

4. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Denmark
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kuranzyan View Post
    Name: Nagasa Caede (Kaede Nagase)
    Nickname: Speculatrix Clandestina
    I cannot find the meaning of speculatrix at this point.
    Clandestina translates to undercover, which in Kaede's case the term actually goes a step further. Everyone inside her artifact is "under cover".
    I get Speculatrix to Spy or Watcher ...

6. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the help Kuranzyan & Devilen. I will be adding them in the first post soon.

Edit:- So based on what you two say, those names could be formed like this,

Pudica Bibliothecaria - A Modest Female Librarian
    Regina Medicans - Queen of 'Healing/Healers'
    Philosophastra Illustrans - 'Truth & False' Enlightener
    Fictrix Comica - A Fiction Designer
    Idolum Virtuale - A Virtual Phantom
    Reportatrix Denudans - Secert Revealing Reporter
    Speculatrix Clandestina - Undercover Watcher
    Pugilatum Exercens - A Martial Sport 'Exerciser/Practioner'

- I have found some of them by myself (see if these are correct),

Actrix Timida - A 'Shy/Timid' Actress
    Bibliothecarius Ironicus - The Ironic Male Librarian
    Magistrulus Magi - A Magistrate Magician
    Joculatrix Monachans - The Amusing Sister/Nun

- If the above ones are ok then the only ones left would be,

Armiger Milliplex - 'Weapon/Arms' Carrying ???
    => Milliplex feel like Multiple to me here so which would mean "Multiple Weapon Carrier" for the meaning of 'Armiger Milliplex'

Bellatrix Sauciata - Warrior Woman ???
    => Though i have not founded any true meaning for 'Sauciata' till now i found another word a bit similar to it which is 'Saucius' which means wounded, hurt. And if we take the consideration that in Asuna's pactio card she looks to be wounded in her left leg & arm and also that she had great suffering in her past because of which her memory was erased, i think the word 'Bellatrix Sauciata' would mean "The Wounded Warrior Woman"

Galdiaria Alata - ??? Wings
    => 'Galdiaria' feels to be the feminine form of the word 'Gladiator' to me. And if i take that into consideration then the word 'Galdiaria Alata' would mean 'A Female Gadiator with Wings' or 'A Flying Female Gladiator'

- I am only guessing those name there & took help from 'wiktionary' so it maybe wrong.

- If these ones look correct to you then i would add them in the first post.
    Last edited by Shadow Limiter; August 28, 2009 at 03:25 AM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

I'd put them like this:

Pudica Bibliothecaria - Shy / Modest Librarian
    Regina Medicans - Queen of 'Healing'
    Philosophastra Illustrans - Young Philosopher
    Fictrix Comica - Fiction Designer
    Idolum Virtuale - Virtual / Illusionary Phantom
    Reportatrix Denudans - Uncovering Reporter
    Speculatrix Clandestina - Hidden Observer
    Pugilatum Exercens - Martial Sport 'Practioner'

Actrix Timida - 'Timid' Actress
    Bibliothecarius Ironicus - 'Sarcastic' Male Librarian (Not sure if sarcastic would be the right word here... something along deceiving/'playing a trick' would be more fitting, regarding Albireo's artifact.)
    Magistrulus Magi - Magistrate Magician
    Joculatrix Monachans - Amused (or something of that manner?) Sister/Nun

Armiger Milliplex -
    Armiger translates to someone who has the right to bear a coat of arms or a weapon, a Knight of sorts.
    The best translation of Milliplex would be "something divided by thousand" or "thousand separate which make/become one".
    Combined it would mean something along the line of "A man who bears/carries a thousand weapons/blades."

Name: Sacura Mei (Mei Sakura)
    Nickname: Puella Genista
    Puella means girl.
    Genista apparently means broom (the plant species), so I'm not sure if it's a play on words by Akamatsu or not, seeing as her artifact is in fact a flying broom.
    "Flying Broom Girl" or "Girl with flying broom" would be the best way to interpret this one.

For Galdiaria, I'd say protector/guardian fits Setsuna more than gladiator. "Winged guardian"

Latin rarely makes use of "A", "An" or "The" articles, and removing those from the nicknames gives them a more unique touch. Other than this I have nothing to give any comments on, do I?
    Last edited by Kuranzyan; August 28, 2009 at 08:00 AM.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the big help "Kuranzyan".
    So do you have any other suggestions to what i can add there to help improve it.

Edit:- About the meaning of "Bellatrix Sauciata", "Wounded Female Warrior" sounds more appealing than "Hurt Female Warrior" to me for some reason (what do you think).
    Last edited by Shadow Limiter; August 28, 2009 at 09:58 AM.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, wounded sounds better even in my opinion, but given her character and her background I'd say "Hurt" or "Scarred" would make more sense.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member AstroNerdBoy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kuranzyan View Post
    I'd put them like this:

Bibliothecarius Ironicus - 'Sarcastic' Male Librarian (Not sure if sarcastic would be the right word here... something along deceiving/'playing a trick' would be more fitting, regarding Albireo's artifact.)
    Why not just use "ironic" for "ironicus?"

Quote Quote:
    Joculatrix Monachans - Amused (or something of that manner?) Sister/Nun
    Just me, but why not just use "jocular" for "joculatrix?" Just curious.

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AstroNerdBoy View Post
    Why not just use "ironic" for "ironicus?".
    Sarcastic feels a lot better in context to Imma's personality here (as mentioned by Kuranzyan also).
    Quote Quote:
    Just me, but why not just use "jocular" for "joculatrix?" Just curious.
    As i wanted to keep the meaning as easily understandable as possible. I used the word Asumed (which is also suggested by Kuranzyan) which is easier to understand & also fits Misora's character aswell.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member dragonis37's Avatar
    The thin line between Everyday Insanity and Utter Madness.
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Albireo Imma
    Astralitas (Astral Sign): Crux Septentrionalis

I solemnly swear to edit my posts for little or no reason.

15. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Limiter View Post
    Thanks for the help Kuranzyan &
    Galdiaria Alata - ??? Wings
    => 'Galdiaria' feels to be the feminine form of the word 'Gladiator' to me. And if i take that into consideration then the word 'Galdiaria Alata' would mean 'A Female Gadiator with Wings' or 'A Flying Female Gladiator'
    The Latin for "gladiator" is actually "gladiator, -oris," it's 3rd declension so if there were a female form it probably wouldn't change. Maybe gladiatrix... "Gladiator" itself comes from the Latin "gladius," which means sword. The -arius suffix, as well as the -ulus suffix if we ever run into it, is an archaic adjectival form meaning "[person] of the X," e.g. with the gladi- root, "gladiarius" would mean "man of the sword" or "swordsman" (well, it really means "____ of the sword," but with no other modifiers and a masculine ending, you have an assumed "man"). To prove I'm not just making this up, there's a moth called the Swordsman Dart, Latin name Agrotis Gladiaria. Alatus/alata/alatum means "winged," so I'd go with "Winged Swordswoman."

Pupa Somnians is Dreaming Doll/Puppet. I figure it's referring to Chachamaru being a robot with dreams/desires and therefore sentience and an independent will. So my own take, and it's my first post, so go ahead and take it with a grain of salt:

Bellatrix Sauciata - Wounded Warrior (Scarred and Hurt are fine, too)
    Pudica Bibliothecaria - Chaste Librarian (or Modest, whatever)
    Gladiaria Alata - Winged Swordswoman
    Regina Medicans - Healing Queen
    Fictrix Comica - Comic Creator or just --Mangaka-- ("Fictrix" literally translates as "maker," from "fio," the English "fiction" means "a created [story]," a "made-up" story, as opposed to a "true story")
    Idolum Virtuale - Net Idol, basically
    Reportatrix Denudans - Investigative Reporter, basically
    Speculatrix Clandestina - Hidden/Unseen/Invisible Watcher/Spy/Scout, or just --Ninja--
    Pugilatum Exercens - Martial Artist, basically. This is about as close as you can get to the concept in Latin. Exercens means exercising/training/practicing, but when using the word you'd really be talking about training for the "exercitatus," the army, so the word carries a martial tone (drilling, maybe?). Pugil is a late Latin word meaning boxer, but it derives from "pugnare," to fight, so "fighter" is a legitimate translation, and it specifically refers to fighting with the "pugnus," the fist, so there's a connotation of it being an empty-handed fighter. "Drilling boxer." "One training for real combat in empty-handed fighting" -- that's somewhat loose though. Me, I probably would go with "martial artist" as a liberal translation, but I get you're looking for literal translations. I like your choice of Martial Sports Practitioner.
    Pupa Somnians - Dreaming Doll/Puppet
    Philosophastra Illustrans - Enlightening Little Philosopher (Philosopha + -astra (a diminutive suffix, like -ito in Spanish), Philosophaster has come to mean a pretend philosopher, but it doesn't necessarily have to translate that way, and I doubt it was meant that way. I think it's probably because of Yue's height, though that's just my feeling)

Bibliothecarius Ironicus - Dissembling Librarian (I prefer this translation to amused or sarcastic or ironic because "dissemble" means to feign, to fake, to put on a false appearance/semblance, which seems to fit the Colonel's abilities, the fact that members of Negi's group have trouble believing his smiles or his promises are true, as well as somewhat covering sarcasm/mockery; but dissembling might not be the word most people would choose if they want to make it easy to understand, and the other words do still fit)
    Armiger Milliplex - The Man Who Bears a Thousand Blades ([The Man] bearing (-ger; gero, gerere; to bear) a thousand (milli) units (-plex) or arms/weapons (armi), which for the Romans would've almost certainly been bladed weapons)

Random trivia on Albireo: I looked up the supposed astrological meanings of the planets/signs, and I think I've pretty much figured out what they're all supposed to represent except for Crux Septentrionalis and Sol (is there another thread explaining that stuff?). Anyway, I still don't know what the Northern Cross is supposed to signify about the person the way Neptune is related to the arts, etc., but I did find out it was a smaller part of the constellation Cygnus, and that the star that's the "head" of Cygnus is named Albireo. Well, someone else has probably pointed that out before, just thought it was sort of cool.
    Last edited by gatitcz; April 26, 2010 at 05:38 PM.

Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

I have updated the first post with pactio card pics.
    These are the ones which i had, if any one has anything else to add here please tell me, i would try to add them. And also if anyone has any more pactio card pics, i would appreciate if they would give them to me so i can add them in the first post.

Edit:- Added the Mistake Pactio Cards in the first post.

Updated few of the Artifact Description in the first post.
    Last edited by Shadow Limiter; December 16, 2009 at 02:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Re: Pactio Cards: Database & Discussion (Based On The Manga)

Two more I found about a week ago

Negi
    Spoiler show

Kaede
    Spoiler show

You can add 'em to your first post i u want
    Last edited by mau2100; December 16, 2009 at 03:41 PM.

19. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Thanks for the pics "mau2100". I have added them in the first post for the time being until i get better versions of them.
    Also if you have read the first post completely, do you have any idea that i can add in it (like more explanations about the artifact or something else).

Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

I think "Idolum Virtuale" should be "Virtual Idol". That's what Chiu is anyway. "Idolum" stands for "False God", "Illusion", yes, but I doubt that was Akamatsu's intention when he wrote that card.

Also, "Magistrolus" should be the diminutive form of "Magister" - Thus, "Little Mage Teacher". Or "Little Master of the Mages", since its "Magi", the plural, and not "Magus" over there.

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 ... LastLast