Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: How will Oda handle the timeskip?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

How will Oda handle the timeskip?

I am actually really interested in this. Now that we know of the length of the timeskip and we know never to underestimate ODA, will be make a big leap? Or small jumps?

Will he do the classic timeskip, and next chapter will just show them all meeting up, and some chapters in the future will show flashbacks?

Will he do the gradual timeskip and each chapter will show 1-2 pages per strawhats progression like 3 month skips. I find this not so likely as it would take away from the effect of the huge change 2 years will make.

I want to know, and with the 3 week hiatus it's hard to tell. I wonder how much the physical appearance of any of the strawhats will change. How strong will ussop get? Or will he still be the weakest in comparison, how will they all power up? Can luffy even think of any new ways to stretch his devil fruit like the way with gear third?

I know this 3 week hiatus is for Oda to collect and design, and I can not wait.

Discuss!

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: How will Oda handle the timeskip?

This are the things that IMO will come of the timeskip:

1.- New character designs. Most significant one will be ussop IMO who will have develop a body physique similar to that of his father and along with that significantly improved physical capacities. I think'd he'll show a degree of super strength. His kabuto will show a significant change too. It will be improved. I have high hopes that he will start using stars the size of cannon balls and he'll have no issues whatsoever carrying several of them in one hand. Luffy will also have a more toned up body and perhaps a few more scars. Zoro probably too. Sanji will turn into something like grey from FT except that he will unconsciously suddenly put on women's cloth(lol). Chopper will also become more muscular and perhaps show a more mature form in his hybrid form.

2.- I think we will see the strawhats end their trainings and from then we will see each of them travel to SA and meet up there. Perhaps zoro will get lost.

3.- Strawhats will no longer be considered rookies or supernova. If I do recall, ace was able to fight on par with jimbei even though he was extremely young. I think fighting people of that caliber will be something which is no longer out of the strawhats reach. At least, I think each of them will be capable of taking a pacifista on their own (at least the top 3 should manage that much)
    Last edited by kkck; August 26, 2010 at 12:05 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tret16's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

1. I got to admit, i'm more interrested in seeing how Usopp is goin to turn out. Like i have said before in a previews thread, all that fat has got to go somewhere, and i think that it's goin to play a big part in his muscle mass. I think that's the main reason why Oda made it a point to make him fat right before the timeskip and then also made a point to make Usopp say that he was goin to workout to get stronger. So i'm ready to see a much more buff Usopp and also like kkck said, more heavy duty shots and also new weapon to go along with those shots.

2. The way i see Oda getting the crew back together is that they will infact all meet up a SA and then find out by the ones guarding the ship that they could stop them from taking the ship. This will lay a good ground for the crew to get reaquinted and also get there names noticed once again after such a long abscence from the marnes eyes.

3. I believe that throughout the entire ordeal of getting there ship back, we are goin to see bits and pieces of each strawhats training which i think is what Oda needs time to think about...

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kidopitz27's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

ussop will be like his father not too fat though and i hope ussop will have dreadlocks under his handkerchief hat that would make him look cool with his big guns (i watch OP strong world and ussop attack turns into dragons and phoenixes thats too cool )

zoro i think will have long hair (i really wish him to have one) more scars from his training

chopper will create new medicine and maybe a new way to control his monster form and create bullets for ussop like sleeping bullets or laughing bullets

nami be like in OP strong world just by a glance she knows if there is a storm coming maybe new gadgets to harness the weather

robin will learn something about the reason why the revolutionary is formed maybe from dragon himself (maybe the revolutionaries know the location of what robin is looking for) maybe that is why the WG is looking for them (that why the CP9 want robin)

well for brooke i wish he can become like in OP strong world using his sword as a bow for his violin to induce a sleeping tone to the enemies (like he can make a tone to power up his nakamas)

franky well a super cyborg with lots and lots of weapons and new information about ships

lsanji (poor sanji no girls for 2 years) that will make him crazy when sanji will see robin and nami

luffy on the other hand will be stronger and maybe he will incorporate his haki on his gears maybe we will see a higher gears after that 2 years

OMG TWO VILEPLUME

100% sure that Zoro already surpassed mihawk! 10/06/10

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

1. It will show people thanking their respective mentors and saying stuff like "thanks to you, i'm now 100x stronger then before. wait for me guys" as they head out to SA.

OR

2. Sanji will arrive first and wait for the rest. Become lovey dovey again when he sees Nami and Robin again. Chopper will cry and say his not sad. Zorro will be last cos he got lost again. So basically, someone will arrive first, wait for the others and show their appearances. Chapter will end with last person arriving and setting out to sea as the SH.

I hope it'd be a double manga. fingers crossed

Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lord Rayleigh's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

We can also think that after this 2-year timeskip, the time will flow quicker than before between each arc/travel. Even if Oda will not make another major timeskip, I think that when Luffy will become Pirate King, he will be more than 19.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well he should be around 20 after the timeskip since they were traveling for quite some time. But that's also one of the problems I facing with the timeskip.
    Wasn't Luffy supposed to beat Roger somehow? If Luffy's journey takes longer than Roger's he lost in this aspect and so he didn't surpass him but maybe that's just what Oda's trying to accomplish. Roger as a living legend...forever. Or maybe we here that Roger actually had such a timeout like the Straw Hats are having now. Another possiblity would be that Roger was a beast before starting his journey but for all we know he could be have been weak compared to the end of his journey despite his advantage in age.

The panda-bears rocking all over the world!

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Well he should be around 20 after the timeskip since they were traveling for quite some time. But that's also one of the problems I facing with the timeskip.
    Wasn't Luffy supposed to beat Roger somehow? If Luffy's journey takes longer than Roger's he lost in this aspect and so he didn't surpass him but maybe that's just what Oda's trying to accomplish. Roger as a living legend...forever. Or maybe we here that Roger actually had such a timeout like the Straw Hats are having now. Another possiblity would be that Roger was a beast before starting his journey but for all we know he could be have been weak compared to the end of his journey despite his advantage in age.
    That is not quite the case. In fact, it could not be further from the truth. Roger was roughly the same age as WB and WB was stated to be in his 70s when he died during the war. That means roger was in his 50s when he became the pirate king. On top of that, we have a reference that roger was a rookie of sorts in brook's time.
    http://www.cloudmanga.com/One_Piece/506/#9
    In other words, it took roger at least 30 years of traveling to become the pirate king.

9. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Oda is smart...I doubt we will see a progression or an instant flashback. Those will occur in action, when they fight someone really strong and they need to take out their triumph card.
    I'm expecting that we wont see them together until the end of the next chapter, and we will see first bites of the world in 2 years. Mugiwaras will be all in cloaks that cover them all, only to take them out when they are on the Thousand Sunny. <3
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    That is not quite the case. In fact, it could not be further from the truth. Roger was roughly the same age as WB and WB was stated to be in his 70s when he died during the war. That means roger was in his 50s when he became the pirate king. On top of that, we have a reference that roger was a rookie of sorts in brook's time.
    http://www.cloudmanga.com/One_Piece/506/#9
    In other words, it took roger at least 30 years of traveling to become the pirate king.
    Ohh I thought I read that he conquered the grandline in three years. I've interpreted the rookie-statement of Brooke that he was just a beginner that time and Brooke didn't get to know what happend afterwards. But right now I got to say that there is a problem in my thinking and that's probably the three years statement...don't where I got that from...and I'm to busy to look but I thought something along those line has bee said in the manga.
    If Roger needed more time than three years one of my mainpoints against the timeskip would be gone and that would be a good thing

The panda-bears rocking all over the world!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that Oda will show us the last minutes of training from each character and then he will set them off to the journey to SA,thats because all of them,or maybe almost all of them are quite distant from there....I dont think that he will make any chapters from in the training but ,it will tell us what kind of training everyone did through battles like flashbacks.....

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, roger's final voyage, the one where he actually sailed from one end of the grand line to the other, did take 3-4 years. Thing is, before that voyage roger was hardly a rookie, I would think by then he was already incredibly infamous. Basically, luffy right now is trying to become the pirate king even though his current power level is not above that of cannon fodder while at the time roger started his final voyage he already had roughly 30 years of experience as a pirate. There is a huge difference here.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Skyrius's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's true. Which is also why I think that, instead of toppling Roger's legacy, Luffy's just going to create his own. It certainly suits him better XD

On the matter of the time skip though, I honestly have more theories than I can count. However, I trust Oda to show up every single one of them. I've always loved One Piece from the moment I picked it up, and I don't think that'll change, time skip or not.

Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dice View Post
    Wasn't Luffy supposed to beat Roger somehow? If Luffy's journey takes longer than Roger's he lost in this aspect and so he didn't surpass him but maybe that's just what Oda's trying to accomplish.
    Didn't Rayleigh imply that Roger and his crew did too much too quickly though? That Luffy and his crew should take it slowly, attheir own pace, in order to perhaps reach different conclusions and learn more in their journey?

As for the timeskip, I think the most important changements will be in the world around the crew than amond the crew itself. Changements in the command chain of the Marines, a new generation is rising to power both in the Marines and among the pirates, new Shishibukai are appearing, etc. Big, big shifts all around.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I would like a quick training chapter with almost no dialog, but with 9 characters that will be difficult to handle, so there will probably won't be any.
    Also let's not forget that there is not only the Strawhat, we need to learn what the world has become in 2 years : Shichibukai, Blackbeard, Supernovas, Marines... There is place for another chapter with that.
    And what happened on the thousand sunny, the reaction of Vivi to the disappearance of her friends. All this thing should be shown before the big moment : the crew reunion and the depart to Fishman island

Thread Closed
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast