Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 752 by cnet128 , Bleach 587 (2) , Gintama 501 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: Least favorite AG character, and why?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Chiyuuka's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Least favorite AG character, and why?

Simca. useless b- uh...female dog.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member dirtywork's Avatar
    Country
    Mongolia
    Post Thanks / Like

no fucking way ... Simca is coolest female character and all male storm riders love her thought

Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

1) Ohama - As an African-American I find this expy doubly offensive.

2) Kanon - Good catch dirtywork. I forgot all about that prick. He thinks he's great because he's Ringo's tuner but all he is a poser who wishes he could be Babyface.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Atobe the king's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

"1) Ohama - As an African-American I find this expy doubly offensive."

Lol same, hmmm there's a lot of people i find useless but at this point idk who i flat out hate...well i don't like Nike but he's not my least fave.
    When's Prince of Tennis Smash Hit 4

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity warbandit66's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ZERO PHOENIX View Post
    1) Ohama - As an African-American I find this expy doubly offensive.

2) Kanon - Good catch dirtywork. I forgot all about that prick. He thinks he's great because he's Ringo's tuner but all he is a poser who wishes he could be Babyface.
    This is in no way meant to be confrontational but in what way is Omaha offensive? Ridiculous yes, offensive? I don't quite see it. Please explain.
    Jiraiya: His hair are the best

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by warbandit66 View Post
    This is in no way meant to be confrontational but in what way is Omaha offensive? Ridiculous yes, offensive? I don't quite see it. Please explain.
    All right I will. And please, do not take my responses to be in any part confrontational.

You asked in what way is Ohama offensive. First and foremost Ohama's physical and verbal expressions are exaggerated characterizations of African-Americans. I don't say this to be confrontational but I know that people don't pay attention to as many nuances as I do so I'll ask, have you ever examined the way Ohama moves? His movements are comically dance-like, feeding the stereotype that all black people have rhythm. A dancing n*gga was a mainstay of prejudice propaganda papers and was used to make African-Americans appear to be little more than entertainment for WASPs. Not only that but based on the way his body moves alone we are forced to look at Ohama not as a character or parody based on an existing president, but we are lead to look at him as another stereotyped n*gga if you get my drift. Ohama's movements and manner of speech are reminiscent of comics from the 1950s and 1960s in which the features of African-Americans (speech, thought, interactions, movements) were exaggerated for comic effect. Shall I continue? Of course.

You ever notice how Ohamily is typically louder than the other characters? Even dealing with typical situations in Air Gear, have you not noticed that Ohamily as a character has been more gun crazy, more violent than the other characters? Of course it's obvious to everyone that Ohama has her body, yes this is true. However, this only enforces the negative aspects of Ohama or rather, the aspects of African-Americans that the Japanese are familiar with are acted out through Ohama which manifests through Emily's actions. Emily (the body) has been louder, more violent, and more boastful, borderline arrogant given that Ohama is in her body. As a Japanese girl Emily was hesitant to fight, she was meek. But of course she was willing to go to blows for her friends. With Ohama in her body this isn't the case. Shall I elaborate upon the significance of this?

Since the 1800s there was a widespread belief that Blacks were the servants of the devil. If a white woman got with a black man she had the devil in her. This was a double entandre before they became popular. Anyway, for the more racist poles of society (even today) Blacks symbolize evil and Satanic possession. Is Emily's body not possessed by a Black man? And has she not become more violent as a result of being possessed by this Black Man? On the surface the President just switched bodies with a Japanese girl. Beneath that surface however is the fact that a Japanese girl got more violent and more arrogant as a result of having her body "taken" by a Black man.

Add on the meticulously (sarcasm) crafted spoofs of Obama's "Yes We Can" platform and not only is the Ohama expy offensive to African-Americans but it's offensive to Americans in general. In Air Gear, we've seen "Yes We Can" invoked when Ohamily turns violent and starts blowing shit up. Oh! Great is not only making fun of African-Americans by embracing stereotypes (Blacks are loud, crazy, violent, gun nuts) but he's also emphasizing those stereotyped aspects of Americana (Americans are loud, crazy, violent, gun nuts).

Now a typical reader, and I'm not saying this to be insulting, but a typical reader has no knowledge of these things. A typical reader sees the expy as funny. A reader such as myself however, knows the history behind what some might consider comedy. When you take Ohamily apart it's not a joke, it's not in good fun, it's offensive. But I'm a pretty laid-back guy and I know that as a Japanese person O!G is entirely ignorant as to what Blacks have had to endure for some 400+ years. So I'm lenient. He's not a racist he's just ignorant. I'm not hating on O!G as a writer or Air Gear as a title, but I'm not going to pretend I don't see blatant prejudice in a title just because I read it.

Would anyone else like to be heard?
    Last edited by ZERO PHOENIX; July 14, 2011 at 11:45 AM.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity warbandit66's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

You explained your stance very well and I have to admit there have been many times when I have seen O!G use ridiculous stereotypes and nicknames when referring to black or dark skinned characters and have felt angered by it.
    Jiraiya: His hair are the best

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Atobe the king's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well mangaka typically stereotype a lot of ethnics backgrounds including whites and other asians (generally in a humerous of negative light), for example the portrayal that americans are all Aryan in appearance, brash arrogant and cut throat, or that other countries are devious while nippon is portrayed as pure. I wont say any one ethnicity gets it worse than anyone else, but some are really blantant (lolbobfromTT). But yeah zero summed it up better than i'd have the patience to.
    When's Prince of Tennis Smash Hit 4

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Don't forget that whole, The world will see me as "FUNKY FRESH" line that OG had Ohama spew out of his/her mouth. That and OG made him into a pervert who likes to be in the body of a 14 year old girl.

OG gets credit for not making him sound like a ebonics spewing rapper or talking about smoking weed.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Carnevil View Post
    Don't forget that whole, The world will see me as "FUNKY FRESH" line that OG had Ohama spew out of his/her mouth. That and OG made him into a pervert who likes to be in the body of a 14 year old girl.

OG gets credit for not making him sound like a ebonics spewing rapper or talking about smoking weed.
    Nothing but the best from Carnevil. True that. I'll give O!G credit in that regard.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member dirtywork's Avatar
    Country
    Mongolia
    Post Thanks / Like

well well simca might be die... simca haters must be happy now hm...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner evolwizard4's Avatar
    Country
    Guam
    Post Thanks / Like

Simca after the hair cut. She got less cool after she got it.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner misc-13's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Ringo and Simca

why are they such bitches!!!!!
    they are sooooo annoying and useless!
    i hate damsels in distress!!!!
    Last edited by ghostexiled; September 10, 2011 at 10:32 PM.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Storm King's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate Sora he loves Rika and then brainwash her so he can do whatever he wants to do with her.And he looks like a Cyborg to me with his air trek from knee to toe.

Ikki (Storm King) and Kururu (Pledge Queen) are such a lovely couple

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Sora is pretty adept at trolling the good guys.

Hes gonna troll Kiric in the tower and getting a kiss from Rika seriously pissed me off, which would piss Kiric even more.
    [IMG]http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb57/Jonas64/Kilrik.jpg[/IMG]

New Reply
Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 LastLast