Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 48

Thread: Attention to International Scanlators!

  1. #16
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zidane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Outer Heaven
    Country
    Antarctica
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    I find all of this pretty amusing. You do realize that 95% of the uncredited cases happen with Naruto / Bleach / One Piece? Not like there were 20 different spanish scanlators for Saru Lock, but there sure as hell are for Naruto, if not much more.
    And in those 95% of the cases, it'd be so very simple to fix the problem.

    Let's be somewhat honest here, Sleepyfans (for Bleach / Naruto) and Binktopia (Naruto / One Piece) are currently the dominating groups here. And we get around 15 uncredited international releases weekly. This week there were around 30 probably. Obviously english scanlation groups have no copyrights either, we are pirating the industry somewhat (though I still believe we also serve it to some dagree), but it's the complete disrespect to the people that's shocking and inacceptable.

    People who put hours of work into one release, Raw-Providers buying the mags, Jap-Eng translators giving international scanlators the opportunity to even translate and publish at all (easily the most credit-worthy part of the job), and Scanlators, cleaning the shitty WSJ raws, allowedly with sometimes huge discrepancies of quality. (About the anterior comment on international scanlators simply erasing bubbles: it's the damn truth in most cases. And those who take pride in redrawing out the english text, et cetera... well why not take the next step and clean the raws yourself then? Redrawing is definetely the most difficult skill to aquire, if you can that, it's simple to clean on your own rather than rely on a cleaned version as a base for your scan.)

    Point of this all, for the big 3, I know of only 2-3 (mainly french) groups that actually clean their speedscans themselves, so all the other 50-60 international "groups" are completely addicted to the english groups. Just show some respect to original scanlators and follow their (in most cases really simple) requests. Sleepyfans: they don't seem to have any contact to the outside world (why would a onemanga-scanlating group even want that) - but just for the respect, do mention them as the original scanlators. Binktopia: please, oh please just put in our credits page. It's so simple of a request. I do think that our raw providers, our translators and our cleaners deserve at least that if you decide to use our scans. If the status quo remains, we'll simply start to throw in HUGE watermarks on our scans, like around 5-10 (lost count) international groups already do. Yes, they put huge and ugly watermarks on the edits we spend our spare time on. Or we'll just follow Eagle's example (Japflap), we just won't allow our scans being used at all anymore.

    And Lsshin your point is kind of senseless here. Yes, underground sites that exist by the thousands will still break the "rules" and just publish whatever. But mangahelpers is controllable, and has admins (friends) that do care for scanlators "rights" and wishes, and for this I'm honestly thankful. Keeping mangahelpers free from stealing is the thing that can be done here, let's not care for other sites for the moment.

    For the end of my rant, I have a suggestion to make, unokpasabaxaki was the initiator of this on IRC. How about a "mangacops" usergroup? Designated and spunky fans who check the big 3 anyway(let's limit it to that for starters), could at least start reporting, maybe even get some kind of position to contact the affected groups. International stealing happens, like I stated before, on a daily basis. I'm not even mad about it, just disappointed that it still happens. And I'm sure that simple, direct contacting (for first-timers) and explaining to them that what they do is wrong (possibly in their native language, make mangacops as international as possible), would fix the problem in most cases. Give them some staff forums, a thread where they can make a list of groups and how often they were stealing / got contacted to change their behaviour. I'm pretty lenient about consequences, it's okay to just tell first timers. Warn those who do it a second time. And for the third time, exclude them out of the community? I realize that a new usergroup would just mean more work for you guys, especially keeping track of what the "cops" do and if they do it right. It's just a suggestion, take it with a pinch of salt.


    Quote Quote:
    A rule which isn't fair in somebody's opinion doesn't turn out being fair in any amount of time...
    Nobody doubted it's fairness up to this point. It hasn't changed, obviously the leechers (or one leecher) just learned to type.

    Quote Quote:
    I don't need to give anyone any example: I have evrey right to state whatever opinion I have without having to prove anything to anyone. Anyway I already stated that I wouldn't have problems in giving my translations and/or raws to whomever want them. If I would scanlate a manga I would do this for the sake of the manga community, not for showing off my translation skills or something.
    Scanlators who whine about copyright infringments are a nonsense in itself, a curse to the scanlation world: if this nonsense is where the scanlation world is going to it's better if it will cease to exist entirely.
    You do have every right to say whatever you want. But without giving further explanations and examples, we also take your comment as such: utterly worthless.
    An opinion without reasons to it is no opinion at all. You clearly don't know how to debate. And your further talk in conjunctive is especially worthless. "I would do this...", "I would do that...", it's just that, talk. Worthless talk. And I take it personally if you call Japflap a curse. Actually, I take it as a joke. You do know that those guys even delete their old scans to not have any problems with copyrights? Their efforts are endless, and they do respect the original author. Heck, their whole website is worshipping Kishimoto. Just taking it as an example. Other groups who don't allow their scans being used at all most likely have damn good reasons to, too. You are in no position to judge them.
    Last edited by zidane; August 31, 2009 at 08:53 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  2. Thanks 10 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #17
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner etineski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Manila
    Country
    Philippines
    Age
    32
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    33
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    reading it now..although am not a scanlator.. good enough for information.. I might provide scans sometime this year... thanks for this!

  4. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
  5. #18
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member drakend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Country
    Italy
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    Quote Originally Posted by zidane View Post
    For the end of my rant, I have a suggestion to make, unokpasabaxaki was the initiator of this on IRC. How about a "mangacops" usergroup? Designated and spunky fans who check the big 3 anyway(let's limit it to that for starters), could at least start reporting, maybe even get some kind of position to contact the affected groups. International stealing happens, like I stated before, on a daily basis. I'm not even mad about it, just disappointed that it still happens. And I'm sure that simple, direct contacting (for first-timers) and explaining to them that what they do is wrong (possibly in their native language, make mangacops as international as possible), would fix the problem in most cases. Give them some staff forums, a thread where they can make a list of groups and how often they were stealing / got contacted to change their behaviour. I'm pretty lenient about consequences, it's okay to just tell first timers. Warn those who do it a second time. And for the third time, exclude them out of the community? I realize that a new usergroup would just mean more work for you guys, especially keeping track of what the "cops" do and if they do it right. It's just a suggestion, take it with a pinch of salt.
    MANGA COPS? WTF is this thing? LOL!
    What about forming the Scanlator Industry Association of America?
    Suing rogue internatioal scanlation group is an option as well: I'm very curious what the judge will say!

    Quote Quote:
    Nobody doubted it's fairness up to this point. It hasn't changed, obviously the leechers (or one leecher) just learned to type.
    Leechers don't have anything to do with that. We're talking about native language scanlation groups, so I don't see where you're coming out from with this leecher thing. Besides what about explaining who is the leecher who has learnt how to write? Just curious, but perhaps you want to avoid being suspended for personal offences...

    Quote Quote:
    You do have every right to say whatever you want. But without giving further explanations and examples, we also take your comment as such: utterly worthless.
    I was referring to bax's statement in which he said I should start my own scanlation group myself and then distributing my work for free. I wasn't talking about examples about my opinions.
    I don't need to show that kind of proof to anyone to support my idea: it was pretty clear, perhaps you should read with more attention.
    Not to mention I explained my reasons as well, but one should read what I wrote to know...

    Quote Quote:
    An opinion without reasons to it is no opinion at all. You clearly don't know how to debate. And your further talk in conjunctive is especially worthless. "I would do this...", "I would do that...", it's just that, talk.
    I clearly state that groups cannot whine about copyright infringments over something they don't have any rights to begin with, and the spreading of native translated manga is in the interest of the scanlation community. So groups cannot forbid anything, they can only ASK to be given proper credit as a form of courtesy. That's my opinion, I wrote it again for you. Now you can share it or not, but don't go telling around it's worthless while it points out undeniable truths.

    Quote Quote:
    Worthless talk. And I take it personally if you call Japflap a curse. Actually, I take it as a joke.
    I don't care about Japflap, I was talking in general: scanlators who whines about copyright infringment are a curse to scanlation world, which is based on free translations made by fans for other fans, in order to spread the joy of reading manga. Not in order to have copyright infringment complains!

  6. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
  7. #19
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity -Ren Boy-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    Scanlators can't complain because they too are breaching copyrights by posting scans of their favourite manga on internet for free when publishers are losing money because now fans are not buying volumes.


    Just saying
    Last edited by -Ren Boy-; August 31, 2009 at 12:39 PM.

  8. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
  9. #20
    Banned MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Location
    ⎳█
    Country
    North Korea
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    7,519
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    Quote Originally Posted by -Ren Boy- View Post
    Scanlators can't complain because they too are breaching copyrights by posting scans of their favourite manga on internet for free when publishers are losing money because now fans are not buying volumes.


    Just saying
    Well groups like Binktopia in their credits page do say to support the mangaka/publisher when available in their area as a sort of disclaimer, I don't think it's too much to ask for them to insert the credit page of the initial group in their intl.scans, and if they do more than just replace the text, they can have 2 credit pages. Though do readers actually take notice of that page(s) is another question...

  10. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
  11. #21
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zidane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Location
    Outer Heaven
    Country
    Antarctica
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,492
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    Quote Quote:
    MANGA COPS? WTF is this thing? LOL!
    What about forming the Scanlator Industry Association of America?
    Suing rogue internatioal scanlation group is an option as well: I'm very curious what the judge will say!
    This site is mangahelpers, mangacops was just a proposal for a usergroup name, which would look out for stolen scanations. I think I explained it pretty fine, don't just pick out one thing to laugh about it, like I said, learn to debate.

    Quote Quote:
    Leechers don't have anything to do with that. We're talking about native language scanlation groups, so I don't see where you're coming out from with this leecher thing. Besides what about explaining who is the leecher who has learnt how to write? Just curious, but perhaps you want to avoid being suspended for personal offences...
    Fucking right. Your first sentence is quoted for the truth. As for your curiosity, obviously I meant you with the leecher.

    Quote Quote:
    I was referring to bax's statement in which he said I should start my own scanlation group myself and then distributing my work for free. I wasn't talking about examples about my opinions.
    I don't need to show that kind of proof to anyone to support my idea: it was pretty clear, perhaps you should read with more attention.
    Not to mention I explained my reasons as well, but one should read what I wrote to know...
    I realize that you were quoting bax. And I also read you saying this:
    Quote Quote:
    I don't need to give anyone any example: I have evrey right to state whatever opinion I have without having to prove anything to anyone.
    The stupidity of that line was just so enormous, I had to comment on it indvidually.

    Quote Quote:
    I clearly state that groups cannot whine about copyright infringments over something they don't have any rights to begin with, and the spreading of native translated manga is in the interest of the scanlation community. So groups cannot forbid anything, they can only ASK to be given proper credit as a form of courtesy. That's my opinion, I wrote it again for you. Now you can share it or not, but don't go telling around it's worthless while it points out undeniable truths.
    And I have clearly stated that while we don't whine, we make requests. Not following those requests will result in warnings, eventually in exclusion from this community. Regardless of how morally wrong you think it might be, this is how it works here. Groups can forbid it on mangahelpers. Stealing won't be tolerated. As soon as that happens, mangahelpers goes into my little blackbook along with narutofan and bleach exile. Again, as a mere leecher I don't see you in any position to judge what's right and wrong here. You haven't taken any effort in providing scanlations or translations to the community. You don't matter.

    Quote Quote:
    I don't care about Japflap, I was talking in general: scanlators who whines about copyright infringment are a curse to scanlation world, which is based on free translations made by fans for other fans, in order to spread the joy of reading manga. Not in order to have copyright infringment complains!
    Yeah, and of course you know best because... oh well, read what I just said above.
    _______________________________________________________________________

    Quote Originally Posted by -Ren Boy- View Post
    Scanlators can't complain because they too are breaching copyrights by posting scans of their favourite manga on internet for free when publishers are losing money because now fans are not buying volumes.
    Just saying
    First of all, this is utterly off-topic.
    And also, you're only seeing one side. Not only are many manga's not even licensed and won't ever make it to the US market, but also, to some dagree, online scanlations made manga far more popular. It is arguable how much damage we cause in comparison to how much good we do. I dunno about the common leecher, but I for one got into manga because of free scanlations. And now I have a few douzen volumes of my favorite mangas, and planning on buying more.
    Ask yourself why huge sites like onemanga (ranked among the top 250 sites of the whole web) still exist and aren't being taken down for storing licensed material.
    Last edited by zidane; August 31, 2009 at 01:48 PM.

  12. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
  13. #22
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Saint Markus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    U.S.A.
    Country
    United States
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,122
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    well should any scanlation group be aware of the "illegal" traffic of copyrighted images licensed by the creator and official group. this whole thread is completely backwards and really has no weight to carry and further than legal group that allows this place to hold threads and downloads of content that would by law be considered "illegal". there's no real defense for a scanlation group's scanlations to be redone and distributed by someone else when their guilty of the same "illegal" action. not being ignorant, just stating a fact when you take something from a magazine and scan it and then make it available for free to everyone online. this isn't my opinion by the way just a fact as everyone else has already stated in their own fashion.

    peace.

  14. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
  15. #23
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    east..
    Country
    Malaysia
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    i'm with drakend in this..
    truthfully, i kinda like mangahelpers 2/3 yrs back..
    we hv more fun then..

  16. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
  17. #24
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity -Ren Boy-'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,671
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    It is like a drug dealer running to police saying someone stole their drugs.

    just saying

  18. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
  19. #25
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner getsuryuu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Country
    Colombia
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    17
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    I´ve being translatin manga about two years (and by my english, you guys can realise, I´m not from an english scanlation group...) (Irrelevant information, I know XP)

    I obviously know since I started with it that tis is a hole ilegal action. The english groups don´t have de copyrights, an we neither, but I´m agree with Zidane, If we (all the scanlation groups) haven´t translated (or scanlated) a lot of manga, Most of the people would only read Naruto, bleach, an probably, One Piece also.

    BUT!... the scanlation groups don´t have the moral right to ask to credit them for their work. They did it for free, they don´t have the copyrights of these mangas, the credit pages (or the mention of the "original" group) its only a mere courtesy matter. In my group, we do becouse we recognize the time they spent in it, most of the case, we even ask to the "originalk" group, but if they sai no, we give them the credit and translate anyway, becouse it´s a mere courtesy matter.

    And, yes, they can stop scanlating the manga, it woul obviously be hard, but no the end of the world.. in this scanlating "world" there is a lot of "crow groups" that when some group stop of working in X manga, they re-take it (not only english groups..)

    I really don´t see the difficulty of giving some credit to the english translation group, and to the japanese RAW scaner, but as I´ve being saying it´s just a matter of courtesy, and obviously a very simple rule of MH (fair or unfair, legal or ilegal, bit it´s a rule).

  20. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
  21. #26
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AscE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    Quote Originally Posted by -Ren Boy- View Post
    It is like a drug dealer running to police saying someone stole their drugs.

    just saying
    I can't decide if this is a thread for discussing the clear policy of this site as stated by bax, discussing the issue of ethics in an arguably unethical setting or a place for people to pull random metaphors outta their asses in attempts to distract others from the fact that their opinion causes them to come off as incredibly selfish and unappreciative.

    Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    I clearly wrote that I have no problems with making the credits to the original scanlation group: it's a given imho and a sign of politeness. I was referring to groups which forbids to use their translations and/or raws to localize a manga. I clearly stated that, but perhaps you missed that part...
    Yes but the foundation of Mangahelpers and most manga sites (not NF) rest upon mutual respect and integrity for each other's works. Let's say a translator reserves a translation for a certain group. He's still posting the translation so people who want to can read it (possibly before that group's scanlation is out) in order to benefit the community as a whole. You start disrespecting his wishes and he could go and stop translating, or just stop publicizing his translation. In the end, nobody really wins because you found this "law" to be "unfair".


    Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    I don't need to give anyone any example: I have evrey right to state whatever opinion I have without having to prove anything to anyone. Anyway I already stated that I wouldn't have problems in giving my translations and/or raws to whomever want them. If I would scanlate a manga I would do this for the sake of the manga community, not for showing off my translation skills or something.
    Scanlators who whine about copyright infringments are a nonsense in itself, a curse to the scanlation world: if this nonsense is where the scanlation world is going to it's better if it will cease to exist entirely.
    Saying you have the right to state whatever opinion you want without proof is kinda like stamping the seal of incredibility on your forehead. I have no idea why anybody would actually admit to that. Nobody is actually being as radical as complaining about copyright infringement on their scanlations (lolwut?). People who put hours of their week into delivering scanlations just wish to have some of their rather simple policies adhered to. It's the same thing when you buy/use any product/service. You abide by the rules set out by the provider. You buy a car and you're expected to get insurance, you go to a restaurant and you're expected to wear clothes. Nobody (other than nudists I guess) ever complains about these "oppressive laws."

    Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    It's in the staff full rights to enstabilish what position to take... anyway when a place becomes too much strict and oppressive it's time to migrate somewhere else!
    Yes, how dare the staff take a position which respects the people who put hard work into providing a service rather than oblige those who don't. I for one am outraged.

    This is kinda like saying repealing the Alien and Sedition Acts were oppressive cause it no longer gave the government the freedom to do imprison whoever they wanted. This is like saying the First Amendment to the constitution is oppressive because it does not allow me to beat people for opposing views (boy that would be fun right about now). This is like saying international laws against genocide are oppressive because...well, now I can't commit genocide. What a grave injustice! (See? I can make wild metaphors too.)

    On an unrelated note: The Society of Anti-Anarchy-Un-Freedom-Fighters(maybe) will be meeting on Saturday to discuss how to make all these wrongs in the world right. Oh yeah, and somehow bypassing the wishes of scanlation groups in order to cater to the wishes of those who don't put in as much time and effort is also on the agenda.

    ...Did I mention we have punch?

  22. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
  23. #27
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    Country
    Mexico
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    Just voicing some opinions, since I already mentioned that I'm in favor of crediting the scanlators, but against the prohibition of using their work when no other scanlations or RAWs are available.

    MangaHelpers may have had it as a rule since 3 years ago, but an imperfect rule up till now because it wasn't enforced, so hence the reason why complaints should start now. I see no point in complaining about a rule that isn't being enforced, so that's why you didn't see people complaining before.

    Quote Quote:
    This week there were around 30 probably. Obviously english scanlation groups have no copyrights either, we are pirating the industry somewhat (though I still believe we also serve it to some dagree), but it's the complete disrespect to the people that's shocking and inacceptable.
    You aren't pirating it somewhat, you are pirating it completely... As some international scanlators seem to be pirating the English scanlators (completely or somewhat, may I ask?).

    Quote Quote:
    About the anterior comment on international scanlators simply erasing bubbles: it's the damn truth in most cases. And those who take pride in redrawing out the english text, et cetera... well why not take the next step and clean the raws yourself then?
    I've got a question. Would you be willing to unselfishly release to the international scanlators your raws? I mean, this could in fact solve many problems. None of the English scanlating groups release their raws when they get them. The ones that are so kind enough to do so, make them public just minutes before publishing their "cleaned" version. Now, if you made them public as soon as you get them, you would motivate every single scanlating group into cleaning their own RAWs because they would still need to wait a couple of hours for the "finished" version. You would also be helping the entire Manga community by acting in this unselfish way.

    My scanlating group would in fact be very interested in this, seeing that we started recently cleaning by ourselves the RAWs, but of course, we need to wait for them to be posted in MangaHelpers because it isn't in our possibility to buy them and have someone scan them. Be sure that due credit would be given. So, we think it would be very polite and generous of you if you would be open to the idea of sharing your RAWs.

    Why not be generous to the whole community, and have the "courtesy" of being open towards this? (Note, I am not sure if you already are open to giving your RAWs to other groups).

    Quote Quote:
    Point of this all, for the big 3, I know of only 2-3 (mainly french) groups that actually clean their speedscans themselves, so all the other 50-60 international "groups" are completely addicted to the english groups.
    Again, the English scanlating groups motivate this because they don't make their RAWs public [of course, you have the right to not do it, as well as some International scanlators (think that they) have the right to decide whether to include or not your credit's page]. And still, though the first part of your comment is not a generalization, the second part surely is.

    Quote Quote:
    First of all, this is utterly off-topic.
    And also, you're only seeing one side. Not only are many manga's not even licensed and won't ever make it to the US market, but also, to some dagree, online scanlations made manga far more popular. It is arguable how much damage we cause in comparison to how much good we do. I dunno about the common leecher, but I for one got into manga because of free scanlations. And now I have a few douzen volumes of my favorite mangas, and planning on buying more.
    Ask yourself why huge sites like onemanga (ranked among the top 250 sites of the whole web) still exist and aren't being taken down for storing licensed material.
    Hmmm, I believe you too are only seeing one side of this three-sided coin. How much damage do the international scanlators do in comparison to the good they do? (Like someone said, if an English group decides to stop scanlating a manga for whatever reasons they have, another group will surface as has happened in the past). You persist in seeing this only from the point of view of an English scanlating group, but not from the point of view of an International scanlating group. You justify the English community using Japanese manga, but won't dare to think of it from the point of view of the International Scanlators. Of course, I believe credit should be given, and am completely in favor of this, but I think that if a group denies you permission, and no other scans or raws are available, then the International Scanlating group shouldn't be prohibited from using the scans even if they are giving the corresponding credit.

    So, English scanlators are allowed to "steal" the Japanese manga when it isn't available in their country... But the International scanlators aren't allowed to "steal" (Even if they give credit) from the English groups when they are the only ones that have the scans and raws... It's just this last part that I think is contradictory by itself.

    There are also huge international sites that don't care if the english groups aren't being credited, and yet they too aren't being taken down for not crediting the English groups.

    Quote Quote:
    It's the same thing when you buy/use any product/service. You abide by the rules set out by the provider.
    Would you agree that those rules include (Japanese manga publishers' rules) not scanning the manga and publishing it on the Internet... Right? And yet none of use are obeying that rule...

  24. Thanks 10 Member(s) thanked this post
  25. #28
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Snowolf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    123
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    Well said, this definitely needed bringing up. Thanks!
    lj fan. doctor who/fringe/house/bones/chuck/etc obsessor. tv geek.

  26. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
  27. #29
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member drakend's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Country
    Italy
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,621
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    Quote Originally Posted by zidane View Post
    This site is mangahelpers, mangacops was just a proposal for a usergroup name, which would look out for stolen scanations. I think I explained it pretty fine, don't just pick out one thing to laugh about it, like I said, learn to debate.
    LOL you remained without arguments so you're taking it on the personal level now? Is this the strength of your reasons?

    Quote Quote:
    Fucking right. Your first sentence is quoted for the truth. As for your curiosity, obviously I meant you with the leecher.
    Another personal attack! You have lots of topics supporting you, don't you?
    Anyway what I'm isn't relevant in this discussion: we're talking about crediting the work of other scanlation groups, not if drakend is a leecher, an editor, a translator or whatever...

    Quote Quote:
    The stupidity of that line was just so enormous, I had to comment on it indvidually.
    I can state my opinion about scanlation groups and the crediting issue without being into one of them: that's what I replied to bax. He said to set the example and giving the translations and raws for free, but I replied this isn't related in any way in order to express my opinion.
    I reworded it, I hope it's more clear now...

    Quote Quote:
    And I have clearly stated that while we don't whine, we make requests. Not following those requests will result in warnings, eventually in exclusion from this community.
    And I said asking for giving credits is legitimate, but asking to not use your translations/raws is not.

    Quote Quote:
    Regardless of how morally wrong you think it might be, this is how it works here. Groups can forbid it on mangahelpers.
    Oh yeah, but the world isn't only mangahelpers and the net is so big... so the possibilities to copy scanlations will always be there!

    Quote Quote:
    Stealing won't be tolerated. As soon as that happens, mangahelpers goes into my little blackbook along with narutofan and bleach exile. Again, as a mere leecher I don't see you in any position to judge what's right and wrong here. You haven't taken any effort in providing scanlations or translations to the community. You don't matter.
    It isn't relevant. I'm a person with his own ideas and I have evrey right to state that without hearing bullshit like "you have to set the example by forming a scanlation group giving out the translations". No I haven't to do this...
    Anyway you can't argue with me on the arguments I moved so you're trying to attack me personally by saying I'm a leecher, I have no idea what I'm talking about and so on! Can't you do better?

    Quote Quote:
    Ask yourself why huge sites like onemanga (ranked among the top 250 sites of the whole web) still exist and aren't being taken down for storing licensed material.
    Because fansub/scanlation is good free advertising for companies, but this doesn't change the fact you cannot claim copyright over something you don't have any right to begin with. That's the harsh reality...

    Quote Originally Posted by AscE View Post
    outta their asses in attempts to distract others from the fact that their opinion causes them to come off as incredibly selfish and unappreciative.
    I appreciate the work of scanlation groups and I'm very thankful for it. What I don't appreciate is the nonsensical restrictions, because the only purpose for doing a scanlation is to spread manga among people, so limiting it is pure nonsense.


    Quote Quote:
    Yes but the foundation of Mangahelpers and most manga sites (not NF) rest upon mutual respect and integrity for each other's works. Let's say a translator reserves a translation for a certain group. He's still posting the translation so people who want to can read it (possibly before that group's scanlation is out) in order to benefit the community as a whole. You start disrespecting his wishes and he could go and stop translating, or just stop publicizing his translation. In the end, nobody really wins because you found this "law" to be "unfair".
    As I stated more times: giving credit is good courtesy, denying the right to use existing translation is nonsense.

    Quote Quote:
    Saying you have the right to state whatever opinion you want without proof is kinda like stamping the seal of incredibility on your forehead.
    Without proof? What proof? Someone said that if I don't start a scanlation group by myself giving out translations and raws I have no right to state my opinion. Another rude dude said i'm a leecher and other personal attacks. I only replied I don't need to do any of this in order to state my opinion, because it isn't related to the current thread. That's quite simple.

    Quote Quote:
    I have no idea why anybody would actually admit to that. Nobody is actually being as radical as complaining about copyright infringement on their scanlations (lolwut?).
    It was a metaphore in order to underline the absurdity of denying the authorization in using existing scanlations.

    Quote Quote:
    People who put hours of their week into delivering scanlations just wish to have some of their rather simple policies adhered to.
    As I've already said... giving credit is good, denying authorizations to use existing scanlations nonsense.

    Quote Quote:
    It's the same thing when you buy/use any product/service. You abide by the rules set out by the provider.
    Yeah too bad the scanlator didn't buy the right to translate and distribute anything, so he cannot ask anything. Anyway I think giving credit for a translation is a sign of courtesy and respect for the work of others.

    Quote Quote:
    Yes, how dare the staff take a position which respects the people who put hard work into providing a service rather than oblige those who don't. I for one am outraged.
    The staff can do whatever they like, the world doesn't finish here in mangahelpers...
    Last edited by drakend; August 31, 2009 at 04:47 PM.

  28. Thanks 5 Member(s) thanked this post
  29. #30
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner AscE's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    4
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Attention to International Scanlators!

    A few things I guess...

    About raw sharing, we don't because we have a high standard of quality. We do share our raws with HQ groups such as M7 but for the most part, we don't enjoy seeing scanlations with poor quality and therefore don't feel very compelled to stimulate the process of making such scans. I'm well aware that many members of the manga community couldn't care less about quality, but we do, that's our stance and our reasoning.

    Quote Originally Posted by luar View Post
    Would you agree that those rules include (Japanese manga publishers' rules) not scanning the manga and publishing it on the Internet... Right? And yet none of use are obeying that rule...
    Sure...but as far as I'm aware, most scanlation groups haven't been approached by Japanese manga publishers requesting them to stop...And the second most groups get a C&D, they do just that. The difference here is, International scanlation groups are being asked to stop.

    Quote Originally Posted by luar View Post
    Hmmm, I believe you too are only seeing one side of this three-sided coin. How much damage do the international scanlators do in comparison to the good they do? (Like someone said, if an English group decides to stop scanlating a manga for whatever reasons they have, another group will surface as has happened in the past). You persist in seeing this only from the point of view of an English scanlating group, but not from the point of view of an International scanlating group. You justify the English community using Japanese manga, but won't dare to think of it from the point of view of the International Scanlators. Of course, I believe credit should be given, and am completely in favor of this, but I think that if a group denies you permission, and no other scans or raws are available, then the International Scanlating group shouldn't be prohibited from using the scans even if they are giving the corresponding credit.

    So, English scanlators are allowed to "steal" the Japanese manga when it isn't available in their country... But the International scanlators aren't allowed to "steal" (Even if they give credit) from the English groups when they are the only ones that have the scans and raws... It's just this last part that I think is contradictory by itself.
    As many stated, many publishing companies look the other way on these things because it in fact is beneficial to them. People are being asked to stop stealing here, I'm quite sure most/all scanlation groups are not still scanlating series that publishing companies have personally asked to stop.

    Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    And I said asking for giving credits is legitimate, but asking to not use your translations/raws is not.
    You realize the ultimate result of such attitudes would be most/all groups not releasing their raws/translations to the public if people don't respect their wishes. It continues to perplex me how you could possibly think this is beneficial to anybody. Maybe thousands of people not getting raws/translations because some people were to stupidly stubborn to respect the wishes of others is a good thing...Who knows anymore right?

    Also, how is asking people not to use a translation illegitimate? That part isn't even illegal. I can translate anything I want to. I can even post a translation to anything I want to. That doesn't violate any sort of copyright law. So...yeah, there is absolutely zero hypocrisy in a translator asking people not to steal their translation, the facts are:
    1) He's put in the time and effort personally, not everyone else.
    2) His translation isn't illegal in any way, so in fact, the translation is his property.

    Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    Oh yeah, but the world isn't only mangahelpers and the net is so big... so the possibilities to copy scanlations will always be there!
    What some more fun metaphors? Here we go! You're basically stating that MH shouldn't care about international scanlatiors taking the works of English scanlators because we'll never be able to stop the problem as a whole. While we're at it, we should stop trying to stop the spread of AIDS, stop fighting poverty, admit defeat against world hunger and stop fighting crime altogether. Hmm...for some reason, I just can't get myself too excited for your utopia.

    Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    It isn't relevant. I'm a person with his own ideas and I have evrey right to state that without hearing bullshit like "you have to set the example by forming a scanlation group giving out the translations". No I haven't to do this...
    Anyway you can't argue with me on the arguments I moved so you're trying to attack me personally by saying I'm a leecher, I have no idea what I'm talking about and so on! Can't you do better?
    Well it's kinda relevant...you're not the one who's having his wishes ignored. You're the bystander that someone mistakenly gave an internet connection.

    Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    Because fansub/scanlation is good free advertising for companies, but this doesn't change the fact you cannot claim copyright over something you don't have any right to begin with. That's the harsh reality...
    Once again, nobody is claiming copyright to anything. I know you're speaking metaphorically but using that term is out of place. People aren't claiming copyright to their scanlations, they're requesting for people to have the decency to oblige to their wishes.

    Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    I appreciate the work of scanlation groups and I'm very thankful for it. What I don't appreciate is the nonsensical restrictions, because the only purpose for doing a scanlation is to spread manga among people, so limiting it is pure nonsense.
    I'm curious as to how these "nonsensical" restrictions have personally insulted you to such a level that you have decided to come make an ass of yourself on a forum frequented by thousands.

    Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    As I stated more times: giving credit is good courtesy, denying the right to use existing translation is nonsense.
    Which as most scanlators say...is something they don't agree with. And seeing as how your weekly manga fulfillment is kinda in their hands, one would think you would agree.

    Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    Without proof? What proof? Someone said that if I don't start a scanlation group by myself giving out translations and raws I have no right to state my opinion. Another rude dude said i'm a leecher and other personal attacks. I only replied I don't need to do any of this in order to state my opinion, because it isn't related to the current thread. That's quite simple.
    That wasn't me dismissing your opinions because you're not a scanlator, that was me pointing out how ridiculous it is to claim to have a valid opinion without having to back it up.

    Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    Yeah too bad the scanlator didn't buy the right to translate and distribute anything, so he cannot ask anything. Anyway I think giving credit for a translation is a sign of courtesy and respect for the work of others.
    Basically what you're saying is people have the right to step and spit on scanlators because the scanlators didn't pay for the right to scanlate. What I'm saying, and what you don't seem to be realizing is that scanlators put in time each week to do this and they don't have to, and if you keep spitting on them, they probably won't want to anymore. So let's weigh the options:
    We could either respect the wishes of scanlators and have manga goodness each week...
    OR
    We could say "FU!" to scanlators and spend the rest of our time running around the forums arguing about things such as this. (Ever notice how these topics never come up on a Thursday or Friday? You're welcome.)

    Quote Originally Posted by drakend View Post
    The staff can do whatever they like, the world doesn't finish here in mangahelpers...
    This is very true...and since you keep repeating this as a disclaimer, I'm not sure why you haven't stopped complaining about the rules of a site you're at the mercy of which really doesn't personally affect you in any way...If you truly believed the MH staff could do whatever they wanted, you never would've posted in the first place. This is a pretty petty attempt at being condescending...

    Oh, and since I have to compensate for your excessive use of smileys and my lack of them, here are a few to sum up what replying to you has been like.



    Good day.

  30. Thanks 10 Member(s) thanked this post
Thread Closed
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts