Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by kewl0210
New Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: Magazine Sales

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Magazine Sales

Detective Conan is still running -though I'm not sure how popular it is right now- so it's not like Shonen has no more hit series. As Negative Syndicate mentioned, the drop is probably because the other two magazines have a number of popular series running- it's the difference between having one star player on your team versus a strong line-up.

Negative Syndicate

I think the only way for Sunday to survive is bring bunch of famous authors from their publisher or outside, rather than giving a chance to newbies.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Circulation has been steadily shrinking for fifteen years, this has nothing to do with a single title or "hits" or anything like that. With a few exceptions every magazine has seen major declines in circulation since the mid 1990's, not just Sunday. Sundays decline has been more pronounced due to the heights it has fallen from though.

Talking of hits based on tankobon sales is completely ridiculous. There is no magic number for what constitutes a hit, the only thing determining a hit is profit margins. That is the only thing publishers (or any business) look at. No one expects every series to be one of the top ten in sales, what is expected is that they recoup the money invested and earn a profit for the publisher. 99.9% of manga never even approach, don't even come close to, the type of sales held up as hits in this forum. The reason they survive is that such a hit is not necessary to make money for the publisher. To even believe that the continued existence of a magazine is dependent on finding a major hit is ridiculous and makes no business sense. Shounen Sunday is a fifty year old brand and the flagship of the second largest publisher in Japan. They are not going to discontinue because some imaginary line has been crossed. That is not how business is done, not when the name of the brand alone is valuable. Even if all they do is let it straggle on into irrelevance the home of classics like Detective Conan, Touch, and Urusei Yatsura will likely not be closed because of circulation numbers. Maybe they will try changing direction or style, maybe not, but Shounen Sunday is not Young Sunday or Monthly Young Jump, it is part of Shogakukens identity. Talk of survival or cancellation without being able to see the money makes no sense.

And Conan is a mega-hit, one of the most popular manga ever. After 17 years every volume is still among the top fifty sellers, the anime is one of the top rated on TV, it gets periodic movies, and there is a massive amount of merchandising available. Detective Conan is an iconic manga and massive media franchise, a major hit by any definition. There is more to being a hit than tankobon sales, but Conan moves a massive amount of copies anyway.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

I too think Shonen Sunday should approach more veteran mangaka like they did with FMA's mangaka.
    Also more anime adaptations.
    Though, its easier said than done lol

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member ruggia's Avatar
    Country
    South Korea
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by perroloco View Post
    I too think Shonen Sunday should approach more veteran mangaka like they did with FMA's mangaka.
    Though, its easier said than done lol
    It sort of is what they have been doing in recent years. Most of the new series from Sunday these days are come-back series of major/minor hit mangaka. It's actually harder to find a new manga from a complete newbie these days
    COME VISIT EXTRA-SCANS
    we won't bite...well, at least I won't
    MaoYuu, Musunde Hiraite, and much more!!!
    Like us? THEN COME JOIN!!!

Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by ruggia View Post
    It sort of is what they have been doing in recent years. Most of the new series from Sunday these days are come-back series of major/minor hit mangaka. It's actually harder to find a new manga from a complete newbie these days
    Not exactly: 9 out of 12 2008 series are by not well known authors, 8 out of 10 2009 series are by not well known authors, 6 out of 8 2010 series are by not well known authors, and 6 out of 10 2008 series are by not well known authors. Plus, even with those known authors, some of them are not really big power house for Sunday.

Sunday is still majorly focusing giving a chance to newbies or not well-known authors. I'm not saying this method is bad, but I think they should focus on getting famous authors for its magazine sale increase. For example, Sunday did manage to increase (just little bit) its circulation on January to March of this year; I think the increase was caused by Arakawa's joining to Sunday.

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

I also think is interesting that a Pokemon manga is being run on Sunday.
    Pokemon Reburst and also Pokemon had a Special Issue of sorts in the north american Shonen Jump.. Maybe it was Shogakukan way of trying new waters for their Pokemon franchise, see if it gets more readers..

Negative Syndicate

Quote Originally Posted by perroloco View Post
    Pokemon Reburst and also Pokemon had a Special Issue of sorts in the north american Shonen Jump..
    Wow, Pokemon released in north american Shonen Jump? Is that possible?

I'm saying this because Shogakukan has right to released any manga-related Pokemon media, but Shueisha doesn't have it. Thus, it is impossible for Pokemon to release in north american Shonen Jump since Shueisha don't have right to release Pokemon.
    Last edited by Negative Syndicate; November 15, 2011 at 09:13 PM.

Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

Sorry, maybe my post was not correctly written since it might have given the impression some pokemon manga was released on the US Shonen Jump, which isn't the case.

What happens is this, Shonen Jump USA is made by Viz Media which is owned by both Shueisha and Shogakukan, now SJ USA isn't doing as hot as it used to (In fact it will end in april 2012 IIRC) so I assume that in order to gather to more audience they included LOTS of articles about Pokemon in an issue of SJ USA.

I had bought SJ USA from first issue (IIRC December 2002 or 2003?) to lik 2008 and from what I gather I hadn't seen any non-Shueisha property even on adds.. but my mind might be playing games with me.. Perhaps Inuyasha anime adds were added or something like that, but I can't remember..
    Here's a vid with what it was on the issue.

Negative Syndicate

Based on video, it is not about releasing Pokemon's manga, it is about an information for Pokemon Best Wishes.

---------- Post added at 11:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 01:14 AM ----------

http://news.ameba.jp/20111116-157/

There is currently poll about most favorite weekly shonen manga magazine. The current results are:

Shonen Jump = 81.6%
    Shonen Magazine = 9.5%
    Shonen Sunday = 6.8%
    Shonen Champion = 2.3%

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Circulation has been steadily shrinking for fifteen years, this has nothing to do with a single title or "hits" or anything like that. With a few exceptions every magazine has seen major declines in circulation since the mid 1990's, not just Sunday. Sundays decline has been more pronounced due to the heights it has fallen from though.
    Can you elaborate on the bolded part? Sales in all publication has definitely been going down in recent years, but I don't understand why Sunday is doing this badly in comparison.

Regarding hit series: I can see why the heads of a magazine wouldn't care much about creating a big name for every series, but readers won't buy a magazine if nothing attracts them to it. (My definition of a hit btw is something that has a sizable fandom and is relatively known to the public; I actually wasn't thinking of sales/money at all.)
    Last edited by Asarii; November 18, 2011 at 01:53 AM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I forget the exact numbers but in 2007 Sunday's circulation was close to a million copies a week. Sunday had already fallen out of the top five at that point, now it has fallen out of the top ten in circulation.
    Last edited by Kaiten; November 18, 2011 at 02:59 AM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Estranho's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Does anyone knows the circulation of Shonen Champion? I'm curious about it.

Negative Syndicate

Magazine Circulation from October to December on 2011:

Kodansha:
    Monthly Shonen Magazine = 755,000
    Weekly Shonen Magazine = 1,472,084
    Magazine Special = 64,000
    Monthly Shonen Sirius = 12,000
    Monthly Shonen Rival = 52,000
    Afternoon = 91,667
    Evening = 133,667
    Morning = 311,000
    Morning 2 = 26,000
    Young Magazine = 686,667
    Nakayoshi = 175,000
    Bessatsu Friend = 77,967
    Kiss = 95,400
    The Dessert = 82,500
    Dessert = 65,334
    Be Love = 128,129
    Aria = 12,000

Shueisha:
    Ultra Jump = 63,000
    Weekly Shonen Jump = 2,845,000
    Jump Square = 350,000
    Saikyo Jump = 300,000
    Weekly Young Jump = 675,834
    Grand Jump = 280,000
    Super Dash & Go! = 45,000
    The Margaret = 108,000
    Bessatsu Margaret = 225,000
    Margaret = 75,000
    Ribon = 210,000
    Office You = 86,400
    Cookie = 80,667
    You = 138,900
    Cocohana = 130,000

Shogakukan:
    Corocoro Comic = 733,334
    Sunday GX = 20,667
    Weekly Shonen Sunday = 565,584
    Shonen Sunday Super = 13,667
    Bessatsu Corocoro Comics Special = 145,000
    Gessan = 43,667
    Ikki = 11,000
    Big Comic = 426,334
    Big Comic Original = 672,834
    Big Comic Spirits = 241,417
    Big Comic Superior = 169,834
    Shojo Comic = 165,000
    Cheese! = 86,000
    Ciao = 637,500
    Betsucomi = 80,000
    Puchi Comic = 102,334
    Flowers = 33,000

Shodensha:
    Feel Young = 31,434

Hakuensha:
    Young Animal = 158,334
    Young Animal Arashi = 134,000
    Hana to Yume = 179,000
    Bessatsu Hana to Yume = 61,167
    Lala = 157,667
    Lala DX = 69,250
    Silky = 49,500
    Melody = 49,450

Kadokawa Group Publishing:
    Shonen Ace = 67,667
    Dragon Age = 29,334
    Gundam Ace = 118,000
    Asuka = 28,334
    Ciel = 38,000

Leed-sha:
    Comic Ran = 208,967
    Comic Ran Twins = 134,367
    Comic Ran Twins Sengoku Bushou Retsuden = 85,950
    Last edited by Negative Syndicate; February 11, 2012 at 06:50 PM.

19. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Can someone please explain the difference between Margaret and the Margaret. I keep seeing The Margaret on these circulation listings, it always has a higher circulation than Margaret but as far as I know The Margaret does not exist, it and Margaret (a very old, venerable Shoujo magazine) are one and the same. Shueisha Media Guide only lists one Margaret, along with it's monthly sister magazine: Betsuma (Bessatsu Margaret) and bi-monthly Deluxe Betsuma. All of Shueisha's shoujo/josei magazines should be listed here: http://adnavi.shueisha.co.jp/mediagu...mic/index.html It should be:

Ribon/Mascot Comics:
    • Ribon - Young teen, competitor of Ciao and Nakayoshi.
    • Cookie - Older Teen, competitor of Cheese and Dessert.
    Margaret Comics (Flagship Line)
    • Margaret - Aimed at middle school age readers. Bi-weekly competitor of Shojo Comic and Hana to Yume.
    • Betsuma - Aimed at high school age readers. Monthly competitor of LaLa, BetsuComi, and Betsufure.
    • Deluxe Betsuma - Bi-monthly companion of Betsuma.
    Josei Magazines:
    • You - bi-weekly
    • Cocohana - monthly, formerly titled "Chorus"
    • Office You - OL magazine
    • Cobalt - Light Novel anthology, marketed to teenage girls.

New Reply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast