Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply

Thread: Bittman Presents: One Piece - Chapter 555 Review

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member bittman's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Exclamation Bittman Presents: One Piece - Chapter 555 Review

Bittman Presents - Chapter 555 Review

Introduction:

It’s your heart stopping as your friend does not believe in you…or because of the shockwave.

Hey Mangahelpers =D

I had a good bludge this weekend, and so I didn’t even start this until first thing Monday morning even though I had nothing better to do. Funny that. Didn’t get around to that second review either, perhaps this week I could be so lucky (lucky, lucky, lucky~). Review is kinda late, apologies. Added more images, but they’re all crap, thinking about making them better took more time than it should have. Apologies for that too.

In other manga related news: To-LOVE-Ru finished this week. I shall mourn thy loss of shameless ecchi and bitch about the manga-ka’s second finishing-arc failure in a row. Bleach again used 19 pages for 1 plot point and Naruto is making unimportant characters important. So I guess I’ll stick with One Piece which never goes limp on me.

Scan from Binktopia, who I used to always use when I downloaded them back in the day but the convenience of onemanga is too good to ignore. And anyone who puts Nami in a bikini in their credits page deserves to be looked at. Regardless, let’s get cracking shall we?

Chapter Breakdown:

Truly a face only a mother could love. A blind mother.

Again ignoring the cover arc this week…even though it has Nami on it...in short shorts. Maybe I should- no bad pervert! Focus!

So our chapter begins on a scale of epic proportions with giants and Oars-chan on the move. Amusing how Oars-chan is often titled as “Little Oars Junior” when there’s nothing little or junior about the monolithic demon that he is. As Oda’s caption states “A Giant among Giants!!”, and I’d love to know exactly what race Oars-chan hails from and who on Earth (or whatever planet they’re on) runs the sweatshop for their clothes. Probably China.

Little Oars-chan lifts a battleship to menace with his swollen eyebrows reminiscent of a boxer who’s taken too many to the face. Amusing, because nothing can really reach his face easily, let alone disfigure it in that way. His expressions and look is similar to the original Oars (Oz), but quite obviously includes a nose, both of his eyes and some more clothes. It’ll be a bit hard to compare the two, when one is a zombie without flashback, but they generally appear to keep the same demonic theme to them with upturned horns and a chain of three skulls on beads. The three skulls on beads interests me, because it would have been just as easy for Oda to put more or less skulls on Oz and not do it on beads. Perhaps it’s just him being lazy with character design, but perhaps it’s a defining trait of initiation for the whatever-the-hell-race they are from.

The Battle(ship) Axe! An everyman’s tool to communicating with lesser giants.

So Oars-chan uses the battleship as a temporary axe on the Giant Squad who are practically useless against the force with which the battleship was slammed against them. Even then, I’m reminded of Saul’s assault against a battleship during the Ohara buster call back in the day and feel that these giants just aren’t what they used to be and perhaps my misread of a Giant Squid would have been more interesting in the end. That said, who knows what rank these Giant Squad giants are, for the only known ranking giant as of now is John Giant who we’re yet to see attack alongside his fellow giants, which is a shame because he certainly appears to be a bright giant. That and his name is basically John Smith, making him the most generic generic since generic was genericed.

With Oars-chan’s full power on display, a rectangular blade in/on hand and some more stressed and sweating marines, Whitebeard and Oars-chan have a quick exchange whilst Whitebeard rushes his men to reinforce Oars’ position (Kamasutra #53). Partially shaven Santa Claus is no fool and his experience in many battles shines here in realising that Oars Jr is basically on a suicide run, but at the same time it’s not something he can really stop. This is part of what I expect will be the winning factor the World Government has over the Whitebeard armada: unity. Sure, Whitebeard has a massive crew and a ton of New World allies, but in the end they are a group of scattered pirate crews. The marines will hear an order and typically obey before they can blink. Some of the Whitebeard allies could flee if things turn bad, some may not listen to his words of warning and tactics and some might outright be there to stab him in the back. You can’t discount all this having a possibility of happening, we are talking pirates here, not Jack Sparrow and Will Turner clones. Honour is secondary to booty, and pirates love big booties.

…comment goes here…brain and hormones don’t work at same time, sorry…

So as tonnes of testosterone are on show via a giant demon, some lesser pirates try to overcompensate by flinging their testosterone at the one femininely dressed girl within the crowd. Because let’s face it, the Oars Junior’s Junior needs to compensate for nothing when even compared to the puny giants as they fail to deflect his overhead slash. So a pirate has to compensate elsewhere, such as displaying some trophy booty they plundered and purloined. Hahaha~ Loins! Quite clearly these are pirates where a sexy time with Hancock is in the back of their mind, though doubtfully non-existent. With a vibrant display of her Mero Mero powers combined with the famous Kuja archery skills and a great display of her long, salacious, smooth, athletic legs…sorry I lost my train of thought. Man those are some great legs. Curses to the cursed man who blocks further view of those great legs.

Oh no matter, we get a full page of her legs on the next double spread. So it appears Hancock’s attitude has not changed at all, I actually expected her to be a bit more fearful of the ever increasing power of the world government’s pimp hand as the leader of the Kuja nation and ex-Tenryuubito slave, but it appears other than Luffy she has undergone no real change concerning her view of men. Interestingly, her views are fairly typical of an abuse victim in the lack of trust for men, seeing them all as her enemy; but at the same time she still thinks of herself as grand and above all of them as opposed to losing their sense of self worth as you may argue her sisters have done with their dramatic change in appearance from the flashback. That said, I still expect some sort of moment either now (or in the future) where she sheds an amount of sweat and obeys without question. Fear is a powerful tool; I will be surprised if the World Government doesn’t throw a Tenryuubito warning at her sometime in the future to stop her in her tracks.

Still, moving on from her personality, we see some more of her attacking repertoire here. We could have assumed that perhaps she could simply do her typical Merrow Merrow Merrow (Mellow Meadow) attack and have more stoners than Amsterdam in an instant, but instead she unleashes a Slave Arrow and some great kicks (I’ll focus this time, I swear). Firstly, things to note about the Slave Arrow attack are that she was not only able to fully and partially stone people, but she was also able to petrify cannonballs fired in her direction. Unless I’m greatly mistaken, cannonballs have no lust of which to speak of, yet here they are petrified. Secondly, Hancock is a kicker by nature; so I snicker thinking of Okama Sanji v Hancock. Her Perfume Femur (which translates to something like…Smelly Leg Bone?) reminded me of Sanji’s Party Table attack. And finally about her four pages of power display, we are yet to see a fraction of her King’s Haki or the snake. Couldn’t care less about the Haki honestly, but the Snake makes me want to make a pun about her fear of the dreaded one-eyed snake. Oh wait, I just made the pun.

Kuma explodes onto the scene!

KABOOM! Oh dear god Kuma passes the greatest amount of wind seen since the World Heavyweight Farting Championships. Yeah, I’m not above a fart joke…not much I am above really except everyone reading this. Especially you George! (happy to know I’m freaking out all the George’s out there). So out of nowhere Kuma appears, he does like appearing out of nowhere, but if you can teleport why wouldn’t you. You’d never be late for anything, what’s to hold you up when you can be anywhere in an instant? Still, Ursus Shock hey? How did the Strawhat’s live that again? Right here I’ve just seen an attack so great it basically went through the largest being in the One Piece world, destroyed tons of ice and sent shockwaves for kilometres around. Sure, unlike the other Shichibukai we’ve seen this attack before and so Kuma’s not being original here, but by lord why would he need to be original when there’s actually a target large enough to take half the brunt of his compressed air bomb? Against the Strawhat’s it practically knocked out everyone save Zoro and Sanji (and Brook, but I don’t know if skeletons can be concussed…). The more I look at it the more I think “My god, is this an unstoppable attack?” Love to hear a single theory of what exactly could tank this attack and still feasibly battle against Teddy Bear.

As you can all see, Oars Jnr is the newest Strawhat pirate.

What follows is a testament to Oda’s greatness. With a soft thud the strawhat of Oars Junior lands beside him, torn from his broken body by the force of Kuma’s blast. With a dazed glance towards the fallen conical straw hat as he feels his consciousness fade, Oars-chan remembers a young pirate captain passing him the large hat. Ace’s kindness parallels our airheaded protagonist’s as Oars junior enjoys shade from the heavy sun that only clouds used to be able to provide. It’s no small hat Ace made, even more of a feat when he is made of fire, and no reward to his kindness was required. Even as the weather changes with rain and snow falling over Oars-chan, he remains safe under his hat of friendship.

So what, that is the most simple story of friendship I’ve ever seen Oda do and I may be called gay for this (but that’s ok, I can’t be insulted), but this is what makes One Piece great. So the girls are sexy? So the attacks are unbelievably awesome? So the comedy is good? That all matters (especially the girls), but it would just be some emotionless manga about shinigami without this. In a total of one page of flashbacks, scattered amongst the struggles of Oars-chan, we are made to feel sorry for this character. You don’t need to know any more of his backstory, heck he didn’t even need a sad backstory. Yet here we are all with a tear in our eye (well if I am, you should all be ShamWOW’ing your tears) as Oars-chan’s chances of success falter before his very swollen eyes.

An extra note of Oda awesome: Ace learned to make this in the Wano Country. Samurai Ryuuma. Thanks for playing.

Doflamingo’s manly coat proves to all that being evil is fashionable.

Our beloved Little Oars-chan Junior takes a few cannon fodder cannons in his dazed state as he becomes nothing more than the biggest target on the whole battlefield. Resolving himself to his fate, Oars smartly decides that so long as he can help the battle in the long run others should be able to wipe his ass and save the friend who, with so little, gave him so much. Ok, enough soppy words, time to imagine the size of the toilet paper required to wipe Oars-chan’s ass. Because right here he decides that taking out a Shichibukai would be a good idea, and he picks on my new favourite bad guy.

Doflamingo looks to take an attack which makes any of Luffy’s 3rd gear attacks a total joke, yet the crafty Doflamingo orchestrates his escape by…flying? He then laughs…and cuts off the leg of Oars-chan? Honestly speaking, we’ve just seen Doflamingo’s power on display for the third time in this manga series, yet we can only guess. No-one has run through the manga for so long with an ability still unexplained. I can predict, like many others, that Doflamingo is a puppeteer who uses strings to both control bodies and slice. If he was a puppeteer we could also hypothesise that he simply threw some strings onto Oars-chan’s horns and pulled himself up and over the giant with a Herculean pole vault effort. Though I’m with the group that believes it’s a string devil fruit, there’s nothing to say that he doesn’t just use strings as a weapon or they’re not haki related. Heck, there’s really no evidence to tie it to strings other than string/wire often being used in much popular culture as an attacking tool whilst often associated as the tool which allows a puppeteer to orchestrate his puppets.

Oda is definitely going out of his to make Doflamingo a bad guy. If you don’t believe me, let’s go back to the 7,000+ view review I did way back in the day and look at his ownership of the Slave House. Let’s go further back and look at his punishment of Bellamy for his failure. Let’s go even further to his first appearance where he shows no fear threatening high ranking marine officers or even Sengoku himself. Doflamingo is quite possibly one of the last few remaining long-term “EVIL” guys in One Piece. Right now the only other character on the Evil Knights of the Round Table is Blackbeard and his crew. Most other enemies in One Piece that the Strawhat’s will most likely come across have either already been defeated (Croc / Moria), have a nice or honourable side (Kuma / Mihawk / Shanks) or are actually on the “good guys” side (Smoker / Admirals). Doflamingo on the other hand is undefeated, fight’s for nobody other than himself and is a major prick. Heck, right now Doflamingo is the quite possibly the most evil character in One Piece with Blackbeard being more greedy than unnecessarily evil. Blackbeard is just as likely to fight for justice as he is to kill someone for no reason, but Doflamingo is definitely something else. What I’m trying to get at here is that when you combine Doflamingo’s evil laugh with his evil ways and his gay fashion sense, you get a bad guy. And as all us good guys know, Bad guys always win.

If only Oars had Haki. Then he could knock out everyone, punch logias and make a nutella sandwich in five minutes.

Little Stumpy Junior takes a final desperate lunge at his friend Ace-Gun (not to be confused with aces from Top Gun) but is impeded by the final Shichibukai who had not taken action. Gecko Moria returns in style with his shadow powers on proper display and to give all the people who think Luffy can K.O him any time of the week a big middle finger. Moria’s giant penis extension penetrates Oars through the chest, but not through the heart like some predicted (heart’s on the other side of the body. I passed 8th grade Science~ And you didn’t~ Please don’t hurt me~). Not much to say about Moria that I haven’t already said before, though I suppose a few people have suddenly gone “Oh right, he is actually quite strong” whereas before they probably thought Franky could beat him. Moria is a mid-long range fighter typically, as his shadow powers can easily give him range on things, yet against Luffy he was typically close range via Oars-ojisan and Shadows Asgard. Perhaps some of you will finally realise that Shadows Asgard was not a good move in the same way that me not trying to hit on the drunk chick in Prague was not a good move.

So the chapter closes with the Tsuno Tokage, a blade of shadow and lizard, and the final look Oars and Ace share as their star-crossed love story comes to a tearful close. I just wanted to make a final note about Moria’s attitude, in that I’m a bit disappointed that he didn’t suddenly turn from his zombie ways after losing Thriller Bark. I guessed his loss to Luffy was also a blow to his delusion that an army of zombies could have helped him and that he no longer needed a close array of nakama. I sort of feel sorry for Moria knowing he’ll never have friends again, but then I remember how ugly he is.

Nevertheless you can’t help but feel for Beer Belly Jnr, even though his contribution will in no way be forgotten as he was able to provide the push that granted the Whitebeard pirates entry to the plaza and New World pirates to the bay. He does look pretty dead though, and will doubtfully participate in the rest of the battle other than to serve as a jumping castle for Mihawk, who is thus far useless to the entire battle (funny really, since he’s probably the strongest Shichibukai there). Its possible Oars-chan will somehow live passed this battle with a stump thrown on his leg to make him more pirate than Crocodile. Then maybe Oars-chan will join the Strawhat’s, but betray them when he realises that Blackbeard’s master plan was to bring back the last female Oars. And then maybe Oars and Oarsette will betray Blackbeard, have tons of babies, conquer the world and adopt Marco as his talking parrot.

Main Chapter Points:
    • There’s a race of Oars’s somewhere, he’s not just an unplanned pregnancy gone wrong.
    • Little Oars-chan Junior~! T__T
    • OhmygodHancock’slegsaregreatIwishIhadlegslikethose
    • Doflamingo: A bad guy? In my One Piece?

Summary and Rating:

This chapter was chock-a-block with goodness, and the first chapter in a while that actually featured all 18 pages, even though 8 (*2 = 16) of them were doubles. The chapter gave an unparalleled focus to a sub character we all know as Little Oars Junior, but I fondly know as Oars-chan, for him only to be fodder to the Shichibukai’s powers. We get some more flashbacks of Ace’s road as a Spade Pirate and his kindness to a giant stranger whose motivation was simple yet evident to all. We got Whitebeard being tactical and we got a great display of the Shichibukai’s powers.

So what do I give this chapter?

10/10

“Whoa? Full marks?” I hear you exclaim whilst wondering exactly how the chapter was that good. To this I ask you, where is the chapter’s fault? Sure, it’s not exactly about the death of Going Merry. Sure, it doesn’t have the suspense and drama of Robin’s betrayal. Sure, it doesn’t have the energy and passion behind Luffy’s defeat of Crocodile. But I’ll be damned if, for a chapter that’s goal was nothing more than “Show off the Shichibukai”, you can find anything that could be done better. And if you can, I don’t care; I’m probably damned for the sin of lust anyway.

Predictions:

Oars-chan~ I shall miss making puns about your large growths.

Well I actually somewhat predicted this week, though I didn’t think it would feature Oars-chan as heavily, we did get a rare display of Doflamingo’s power and some general grandstanding from the Shichibukai.

Next week is a little more difficult though, but in general I suppose Whitebeard will personally feel responsible for Oars’ loss and take centre stage in the battle whilst more of the general chaos erupts around him with marines and pirates going at it far closer to Ace’s podium than anyone probably expected thanks to Oars’ push. Since Mihawk hasn’t gotten as much screentime as others, he’ll probably get some, though Oda might save it for later chapters. There’s also a definite lack of admirals and lesser marines this chapter. But in short, I expect next week’s cliffhanger to be either Whitebeard taking centre stage or the Jailbreak League’s arrival on the outskirts.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

Spoiler: My one current One Piece prediction show

2. Thanks 20 Member(s) thanked this post
    Intl Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lord Rayleigh's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Bittman Presents: One Piece - Chapter 555 Review

That review fas fantastic, truly. Thanks !

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Well I can't say anything but LOL, your reviews are funny but you make good points I think that they are by far the best reviews.. (that I've read)

And I agree with your 10/10

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Raysen_ht's Avatar
    Sky... if u look carefully u will find me
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

OMG!!! This review is too awesome to be allowed!! GREAT JOB Bittman-kun

Let me point out a few (very few) parts that made me Lol:
    ..."runs the sweatshop for their clothes. Probably China."
    ..."reinforce Oars’ position (Kamasutra #53)"
    ..." Oars Junior’s Junior needs to compensate for nothing "
    ..."Truly a face only a mother could love. A blind mother."
    ..."Ok, enough soppy words, time to imagine the size of the toilet paper required to wipe Oars-chan’s ass"
    ..."and adopt Marco as his talking parrot" <-- funniest thing ever!!!

There are more (too lazy to get them all...)!!

About Oz's race and the skull necklece:
    I agree with you that there is a race of super giants somewhere (poor Droggy and Brogy... if only they knew about this, their fight could end ), but imo, the necklece is like a crown, its given to the strongest one. What do you think of that?

About pirates unity
    I guess you have a point here... i didnt consider that. But don´t you agree that if the pirates have any brain at all, they will follow WB lead?? I mean, Oars did ask WB not to stop him (meaning that WB could stop him if he wanted to...), i bet most of the pirates will do the same. Sure, some of the pirates could betray WB (although i dont think that will happen)

About Hancock
    getting past her super sexy, smooth, long legs... she is still playing around, but she seems very strong! I desagree with you on the fear thing, i'm prepared to bet that she will betray the MH once Luffi arrives.
    I didnt see petryfied cannonballs... she just dodged them. Also, how do you know the snake is a weapon?? It could simply be a pet right?!

About Kuma
    I think this was a stronger version of the Ursa shock he used against the SH... And no, i cant think of any feaseble way for someone to take the attack and keep fighting (unless the totally cheap Logia's cant be touched thing...)

I really liked the way you described Oars relation with Ace... it truly is a testament to Oda *claps* greatness

About Doflamingo
    I´m going with the string theory for now too... He is my favourite antagonist at this point... everything about him is so over the top. From the way he dresses, to the stuff he does, everything about him is exagerated (even his bounty... its still the largest known bounty of OP)

About Moria
    I still cant believe that Luffy beat him... he is so versatil! and now that we have learned that he can pierce stuff with his powers... why the hell didnt he use that against Luffy??
    I´ve allways had a crazy idea that that thing isnt really his body. He has stichis (cant spell this...) all over his face... I think he might be inside that thing.

Prediction
    I think that when Iva arrives, she/he will restore WB to his prime.

*sorry for the "review like" post...*
    A melhor thread, com as melhores pessoas, os melhores assuntos na melhor língua
    ___________Portuguese thread v.14 Entre e conheça!!__________

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Rayleigh View Post
    That review fas fantastic, truly. Thanks !
    Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by beastboy View Post
    Well I can't say anything but LOL, your reviews are funny but you make good points I think that they are by far the best reviews.. (that I've read)

And I agree with your 10/10
    and cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Raysen_ht View Post
    OMG!!! This review is too awesome to be allowed!! GREAT JOB Bittman-kun

Let me point out a few (very few) parts that made me Lol:
    ..."runs the sweatshop for their clothes. Probably China."
    ..."reinforce Oars’ position (Kamasutra #53)"
    ..." Oars Junior’s Junior needs to compensate for nothing "
    ..."Truly a face only a mother could love. A blind mother."
    ..."Ok, enough soppy words, time to imagine the size of the toilet paper required to wipe Oars-chan’s ass"
    ..."and adopt Marco as his talking parrot" <-- funniest thing ever!!!

There are more (too lazy to get them all...)!!

About Oz's race and the skull necklece:
    I agree with you that there is a race of super giants somewhere (poor Droggy and Brogy... if only they knew about this, their fight could end ), but imo, the necklece is like a crown, its given to the strongest one. What do you think of that?

About pirates unity
    I guess you have a point here... i didnt consider that. But don´t you agree that if the pirates have any brain at all, they will follow WB lead?? I mean, Oars did ask WB not to stop him (meaning that WB could stop him if he wanted to...), i bet most of the pirates will do the same. Sure, some of the pirates could betray WB (although i dont think that will happen)

About Hancock
    getting past her super sexy, smooth, long legs... she is still playing around, but she seems very strong! I desagree with you on the fear thing, i'm prepared to bet that she will betray the MH once Luffi arrives.
    I didnt see petryfied cannonballs... she just dodged them. Also, how do you know the snake is a weapon?? It could simply be a pet right?!

About Kuma
    I think this was a stronger version of the Ursa shock he used against the SH... And no, i cant think of any feaseble way for someone to take the attack and keep fighting (unless the totally cheap Logia's cant be touched thing...)

I really liked the way you described Oars relation with Ace... it truly is a testament to Oda *claps* greatness

About Doflamingo
    I´m going with the string theory for now too... He is my favourite antagonist at this point... everything about him is so over the top. From the way he dresses, to the stuff he does, everything about him is exagerated (even his bounty... its still the largest known bounty of OP)

About Moria
    I still cant believe that Luffy beat him... he is so versatil! and now that we have learned that he can pierce stuff with his powers... why the hell didnt he use that against Luffy??
    I´ve allways had a crazy idea that that thing isnt really his body. He has stichis (cant spell this...) all over his face... I think he might be inside that thing.

Prediction
    I think that when Iva arrives, she/he will restore WB to his prime.

*sorry for the "review like" post...*
    Whoa, something for me to reply to in my own thread? Wish I had more comments like this. So anyway:

Oz + skull necklace: Crown to the strongest? Interesting thought, yet Oars and Oars Junior have one, and unless Oars Junior went through Thriller Bark to steal Oars Senior's, there are at least two in existence right now.

Pirate Unity: It's not so much that I see them betraying him, and in general yes they'll follow. But I imagine it could turn into something like Lelouch v Cornelia (Code Geass) where the rag-tag group disobey their superior for their own personal gain somewhere along the lines.

Hancock: Nah, I'm totally against the betrayal for Luffy thing. If she wanted to do that she could have just broken into Impel Down with him, she would have been practically unstoppable. She might do something for Luffy in the shadows again, but outright obviously helping him I doubt. And Hancock's Snake can't be a pet, she kicks pets.

Doflamingo: See, bad guys get all the love.

Moria: If you look against Luffy the battle went like this -
    playing around with Luffy > testing out Oz > knocked unconscious by Nightmare Luffy > using Shadows Asgard to buy time
    Even if he is Gecko Moria, Shichibukai extraordinaire, he had practically already lost and brought himself into a conscious state again feeling he could still clench victory if the sun removes his greatest threats. And once he did Shadows Asgard, attacks like this were beyond his mental capacity when his full willpower was directed at keeping the shadows in his body. Luffy would probably not beat him in a 1-1 fight where they both start at full health.

EDIT: And Iva restoring WB to his prime? Haha that would be interesting to see, but as it is he appears unstoppable. God imagine him in his prime.
    Last edited by bittman; September 01, 2009 at 06:24 PM.

Sorry readers: taking a break from my One Piece reviews. Though I love doing them, One Piece Reviews are actually not near the top of my to-do list. Perhaps one day I'll return and do them properly.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kakashi65's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

heey nice review, your jokes are awesome
    about Doflamingo, what do you think, will there be a fight between
    Buggy vs. Doflamingo
    I mean, Buggy is one of the guys who can´t be cut, indeed he hasn´t a chance to begin with, but i really think it would be funny

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Romanov D Paul's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey that was great indeed, the style of your rewiew is perfect for the manga man

About Oars Jr. though, I remember reading somewhere that Oars himself actually was "simply" a member of a particulary big and evil giants tribe, even if he was even bigger and badder then the rest of his friends. Seems like the grandson inherited it all except that he's truly seeming to have a good grip on friendship.

And about the drunk chik in Prague yea man, that sure was'nt a good move at all...
    Last edited by Romanov D Paul; September 02, 2009 at 07:56 AM.
    "When in the end we'll reach our goal, then tell us how much our efforts were worth of"
    R. Rolland, "Jean-Cristophe"

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kakashi65 View Post
    heey nice review, your jokes are awesome
    about Doflamingo, what do you think, will there be a fight between
    Buggy vs. Doflamingo
    I mean, Buggy is one of the guys who can´t be cut, indeed he hasn´t a chance to begin with, but i really think it would be funny
    Yeah I jokingly mentioned this recently during last weeks spoiler discussion. It's possible that Buggy might actually be able to delay Doflamingo for a moment or two with his ability, but the general degree of strength between them both is different.

Quote Originally Posted by Romanov D Paul View Post
    Hey that was great indeed, the style of your rewiew is perfect for the manga man

About Oars Jr. though, I remember reading somewhere that Oars himself actually was "simply" a member of a particulary big and evil giants, even if he was even bigger and badder then the rest of his friends. Seems ike the grandson inherited it all except that he's truly seeming to have a good grip on friendship.

And about the drunk chik in Prague yea man, that sure was'nt a good move at all...
    Hmm, don't remember reading that anywhere, but I don't think that's possible. Between the horns, red skin and triple size difference it's a bit of a stretch.

And...shut up about the drunk chick! *gets drunk to erase memories* Truth is I got embarrassed since I was trying to pick up a hot Asian chick instead, and then this one came up. Was either go with drunk stranger or keep trying for a good thing. Funny how neither worked out...

.......where's that bottle of Absinthe I smuggled back?

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gecko Moria's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

In terms of evil, would you consider the Tenryubito and perhaps Akainu to be up there with Doflamingo? I don't consider Blackbeard to be all that evil, he's quite like Luffy actually: a man with dreams. Though his methods of attaining those dreams are different from Luffy's.

Of course, a excellent review (might not agree with your 10/10 rating however).

Thanks to ~Coffee~ for the avatar and signature.
    Everything is possible: The impossible just takes longer.

One Piece|Gecko is bored, go post something~|The Tennis Thread

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah, forgot about the Tenryuubito, but I didn't forget Akainu.

Tenryuubito - Sure, they are one of the few "evil" people in the manga. That said, is Lufy gonna fight them? Only if he takes up politics. The Tenryuubito are more likely to fight Vivi than Luffy.

Akainu - evil in the same way Lucchi is evil. They both fight for what they believe is the right side, though their methods are typically looked down upon. Yet at the same time, they have the eventual peace of the world as their driving motivations. Even if the road to peace is bloody, if the goal is peace can we truly judge them as evil?

Blackbeard - I would almost agree with you, except there's that whole killing Thatch thing. Unless it turns out to be a horrible accident, then he's a bad guy. I imagine Teach 100% knew the rules of the ship, and always planned to kill whoever got the fruit in the first place. He betrays anyone and everyone and though he's a dreamer, peace is not on his agenda.

This is my easy rating system, it's called educated guesswork of their personalities:

"If the entire world stood in front of <person's goal>, would they hesitate in wiping them out on the way?"

Akainu - yes, since if no-one stood with him, there's no-one to be loyal to
    Blackbeard - no, only out for himself
    Tenryuubito - no, only out for themselves, though they have no real goals either
    Doflamingo, no, only out for himself

Something like that.

15. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Romanov D Paul's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Take a look at this page and read the Trivia in the end, seems like I remebered it well, since the source is fan's question to Oda. And I totally understand you, choosing is a difficult matter when it comes to girls, mix it up with alchool and u're done for!
    "When in the end we'll reach our goal, then tell us how much our efforts were worth of"
    R. Rolland, "Jean-Cristophe"

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member d3death's Avatar
    Country
    Afghanistan
    Post Thanks / Like

just noticed this...

first of all..
    THANKYOU.. for starting OP reviews...

just one suggestion: your review font is a bit difficult to read...

New Reply