Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo
New Reply
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Shippuuden dub to air on Disney

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member AkatsukiNoTobi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shippuuden dub to air on Disney

Remember when Disney got into anime back in the day? Remember how they censored the hell out of Sailor Moon? Yeah...just remember back then.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity DARK's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Found out that their targeting demographic is for 6-14 year olds. 6 year olds?! OK, parents, would you want your kids to be exposed to crazy psychopaths that blow people/buildings up? Especially in some "sand" town that is somehow represented by Arabs? I don't think little kids nor their overprotective parents would judge openly for this.
    And even though he is featured rather late in the series, you want your kids to be exposed to Hidan?! A man that stabs himself and loves it? He is choking up blood. We have men that smoke cigarettes.
    Also, most people do not have Disney XD (you have to buy IO or something to watch it). Why put it on one of the least watched channels of all time? Hell, even Sci-Fy (which was notoriously known for airing dubbed "mature" anime) would be a better fit than the "too kiddy" demographic Disney XD holds.
    Last edited by DARK; September 10, 2009 at 08:58 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity CBlitz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by DARK View Post
    Found out that their targeting demographic is for 6-14 year olds. 6 year olds?! OK, parents, would you want your kids to be exposed to crazy psychopaths that blow people/buildings up? Especially in some "sand" town that is somehow represented by Arabs? I don't think little kids nor their overprotective parents would judge openly for this.
    And even though he is featured rather late in the series, you want your kids to be exposed to Hidan?! A man that stabs himself and loves it? He is choking up blood. We have men that smoke cigarettes.
    Also, most people do not have Disney XD (you have to buy IO or something to watch it). Why put it on one of the least watched channels of all time? Hell, even Sci-Fy (which was notoriously known for airing dubbed "mature" anime) would be a better fit than the "too kiddy" demographic Disney XD holds.
    well CN did a pretty good job with the original Naruto, so lets see what Disney does

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity kyubisharingan's Avatar
    Country
    Jamaica
    Post Thanks / Like

Hope im not the only one expecting a "4Kids"-like Naruto.....They already ruined One Piece for me....dont make Disney turn the naruto dub i look forward to on Saturdays the same way...
    もし僕と別れたら、一番いい人と別れるから、よりいい人を選ばなくちゃいけない。
    まだ。。。日本語習ってる

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member slmcknett's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukisama View Post
    "Believe it" was toned down a lot after the Chuunin exam, although I don't recall Naruto saying it ("dattebayo") that much in the original Japanese that much after that point either. So it wasn't like it was something that was really much of a big deal after a certain point anyway. The point I was saying earlier was that I wasn't fond of the translation. I would have preferred him saying "dattebayo" to "believe it."
    Apparently somebody hasn't been paying attention. He finishes like every one of his sentences with 'ttebayo. He does it like twice an episode (maybe more depending on how much screentime he has that week).

英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Parts of this thread seem to fault Disney for being incapable of handling Naruto prematurely. Some people here also seem to hold skepticism toward or grudges against Disney for unclear reasons or shortcomings that are small, fractal mistakes in millions of triumphs that this company has endured.

That Walt Disney struck a merging deal with Marvel, a company very left-field of Disney's core soft-character market, means Disney is beyond another big contender in entertainment media business but remains so incredibly stable, aggressive, and adaptive it will absorb brand images going against its foundations to strengthen, grow, and evolve.

Perhaps some of you stereotype Disney into a children's demographic, even if by the target audience age group, despite the fact that many of it's classic animations have mature themes, albeit to youngsters they're subtle enough to consider the cartoons natural works of adults that serve a family-oriented audience.

Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs, Beauty and the Beast, The Lion King, Toy Story, Wall-e, all of those films possess, though to some refutable degree, culturally significant and socially reflective mature themes in entertaining art form. But we aren't talking about feature length films when you speak of Shippuuden's series, this show is like snack food for the eyes.

How Disney works with Shippuuden should arguably be worth my gamble as there may exist some fiber or useful weight in the snack food, though much of the meaning may already be vague to grown audiences, especially if its themes inferrably or speculatively exist. One issue I see however, is that Viz is the dubber of USA's recent Naruto series and that probably means Disney will guide no part of the voice acting for Shippuuden.

Shippuuden's voice would otherwise feel in good hands, seeing as Disney holds commendable history with Japanese animation company, Studio Ghibli and it's renowned director, Hayao Miyazaki. With applaudable technical skill, Disney manages the translation of Miyazaki's work to our theatres and arguably preserves well the emotion of Japanese anime films outside of their native tongue.
    Last edited by ornis; September 10, 2009 at 11:29 PM.

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

The only thing that we can do is to wait and see what happens. If Disney fucks up then don't watch it , not watching it will make ratings drop and have the show pull hopefully someone will pick it up. (hopefully adult swim)

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Bohemia22's Avatar
    Country
    Czech Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

Shippuuden and Disney? What the hell. Sora fillers will suck even more than they did in the original (lolworthy voice acting, massive censore and who knows what else). And I thought that was impossible.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity nat's Avatar
    Country
    Bermuda
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering they're gonna dub shippuden, I don't see where the problem is.

It's not like Shippuden is an amazing animation and deserves prizes. At least it gets more exposure on Disney XD (What a silly name).

So why not?
    Besides you're all gonna still watch it subbed .
    If you hate Sasuke, click here

Tricked you

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity CBlitz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by nat View Post
    Considering they're gonna dub shippuden, I don't see where the problem is.

It's not like Shippuden is an amazing animation and deserves prizes. At least it gets more exposure on Disney XD (What a silly name).

So why not?
    Besides you're all gonna still watch it subbed .
    roughly 4 episodes deserve prizes. The rest can burn in Gai vs. Gai hell

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mythsoul's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

well....I'm cool with it.....I dont really liked the translated voices anyhow.....they sound kinda annoying.....that believe it crap from the first part....was extremly annoying....most of us well keep our naruto fix as we are doing it now......

1st - Manga ,2nd - the subbed episodes that come out weekly that to me are the best .....the voices of all the characters feel better........so translated episodes will be for the masses that have no idea about the manga or the episodes from Japan

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by slmcknett View Post
    Apparently somebody hasn't been paying attention. He finishes like every one of his sentences with 'ttebayo. He does it like twice an episode (maybe more depending on how much screentime he has that week).
    Hmm... Maybe I wasn't (when you hear something a lot that you don't mind, you don't really notice it as much), but still my problem was more with "believe it" and not "dattebayo," which whenever I catch notice of it sounds rather adorable.

Anyway, I agree with MythSoul. Most of the people I know who really care about the dubbed episodes are those who only watch those and don't care about the original Japanese. The people who watched the first American dub series will get something roughly on the same level of content, and to them, it won't be that big of a deal. For those who already watch the Japanese version, you're still probably going to watch the Japanese version, and if you know people who think little of the American dub, introduce them to the Japanese version.

Also, I don't know if they still air it, but around Halloween, Disney would always show Hocus Pocus and in that movie, Billy the zombie gets his head knocked off and he keeps talking. So, we might get to see Hidan's talking head in the pit, but the dub will probably cut out part of the actual beheading, which wouldn't be terrible.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Lelo's Avatar
    Country
    Lebanon
    Post Thanks / Like

im just happy ill get to see it in HD.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

mmh, disney to air shippuuden, i can see why our american fanbase is mortified by the idea. i also watched: the lion king, jungle book, aladin and all the others in my childhood. but i don't think it's fair to condemn the idea only because it's disney.

clearly that company is evolving like someone already said in this thread.
    after the corny fairy tales movies of the nineties stopped selling, disney moved on to computer animated movies
    (i believe toy story and antz was made by disney)
    they acquired pixar(also computer animation)

and now recently they moved into the American comic industry by purchasing marvel comics.

clearly the announced airing of shippuuden on their channel is part of a bigger plan.
    and i wouldn't write them of just yet based on the silly image we all have of them

(mainly because of the lion king and such titles, although granted i thought their more recent work Narnia blew as hell also, but that was clearly an cheap attempt to copy harry potters success, at which they failed miserably)

perhaps this collaboration will work out better than any of you expected, i mean there does seem to be potential and good synergy between the two(viz and disney) to elevate naruto to a new heights in America.

at least you guys get naruto on cable(or used to get it n e way, as i understand disney is a pay per view channel)
    over here in the Netherlands and most of the other European country's the fans are doomed to have to roam the internet for their weekly fix.....sigh, how unfair the world is...sob

lol nah just kidding

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Essence's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ok disney buying shipuuden has its pros and cons. the pros is that naruto will be even more popular than it is now with marketing and all kind of disney money making idea.The cons is that there will be a lot censored, for example when killer bee did a number on sasuke chest, when pain nuclear attack konoha. all the great moments of gore will cease to exist in the disney dub. but still i'm really not that concern about it, since we all have options here. we can watch the disney dub which will strip us down to our innocence or the sub where theres a little bit of gore and profanity, either way we have choices.

New Reply
Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast