Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/25/14 - 8/31/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 (2)
New Reply
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast

Thread: Shippuuden dub to air on Disney

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Shippuuden dub to air on Disney

Don't most of you watch the show on the Internet anyway (the Japanese version with English subtitles)? Why is this such a big deal? (Just curious to find out)

The English dub of the first Naruto series was censored quite a bit, removing the violence and sexual jokes, and yet you were thinking that the Shippuuden series wouldn't be edited?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity CBlitz's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukisama View Post
    Don't most of you watch the show on the Internet anyway (the Japanese version with English subtitles)? Why is this such a big deal? (Just curious to find out)

The English dub of the first Naruto series was censored quite a bit, removing the violence and sexual jokes, and yet you were thinking that the Shippuuden series wouldn't be edited?
    sometimes dubs can turn out better than the source material (see FMA dub). But really I'd rather watch stuff on TV than on my laptop. Besides the Naruto dub was pretty good

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonBlitz View Post
    sometimes dubs can turn out better than the source material (see FMA dub). But really I'd rather watch stuff on TV than on my laptop. Besides the Naruto dub was pretty good
    Dubs rarely ever turn out better than the original. (I liked the FMA dub a lot, but I wouldn't say IMO it was better, maybe equally as good though. )

The Naruto dub compared with the original also wasn't that amazing in quite a few people's opinions. I have seen so many complaints about Naruto's voice actress in the dub. Also, "believe it" for "dattebayo" just doesn't really carry over as well IMO. In terms of censorship, there wasn't that much to censor, since the violence in the first series is a lot less. The most violent thing was Haku getting stabbed, which had removed most of the blood.

Adult Swim picking up the series wasn't going to happen realistically. In terms of Disney's practices and standard over Cartoon Network's own, we don't know yet since we haven't seen the series, and in the end we will never really know whether CN would have called for different edits since CN no longer has the license for the broadcast of series. So, why not just wait and see what happens.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member weehoo107's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout286 View Post
    ...Well...let's just sit back..relax and watch as every naruto fan alive go insane or happy about this little stunt Disney pulled.

Just think about it...More censors...No blood..Certain scenes may be cut out.
    Example would be Naruto's Four Tail Transformation, or Sasori's death. Cartoon Network kept in some blood.
    examples would be

Spoiler show

Quote Originally Posted by Tsukisama View Post
    Don't most of you watch the show on the Internet anyway (the Japanese version with English subtitles)? Why is this such a big deal? (Just curious to find out).....
    what I have a problem with is that if Disney botches this up, then respect for Naruto in general will go down. there are alreday a bunch of people who don't even bother to pick up the Manga cause it's full of "ninjas' and the kid on the front cover is in an orange jumpsuit. Judging a book by it's cover is bad enough, but when someone puts out an extremely censored, kid-friendly anime of it?

even the Naruto fans who only watch it on TV may give up on it.
    Last edited by weehoo107; September 10, 2009 at 07:11 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

what I have a problem with is that if Disney botches this up, then respect for
    Quote Quote:
    Naruto in general will go down. there are alreday a bunch of people who don't even bother to pick up the Manga cause it's full of "ninjas' and the kid on the front cover is in an orange jumpsuit. Judging a book by it's cover is bad enough, but when someone puts out an extremely censored, kid-friendly anime of it?

even the Naruto fans who only watch it on TV may give up on it.
    ehhh, I don't think they're gonna mess with Shippuuden's formula that much. I hope it doesn't become anything like 4kids One Piece dub, thank god Funi saved it.

Quote Quote:
    The Naruto dub compared with the original also wasn't that amazing in quite a few people's opinions. I have seen so many complaints about Naruto's voice actress in the dub. Also, "believe it" for "dattebayo" just doesn't really carry over as well IMO. In terms of censorship, there wasn't that much to censor, since the violence in the first series is a lot less. The most violent thing was Haku getting stabbed, which had removed most of the blood.
    The beginning was mediocre, subsequent arcs were handled very well. Besides Naruto only said "Believe it" for the first couple arcs. Then they cut it from the script.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by CrimsonBlitz View Post
    ehhh, I don't think they're gonna mess with Shippuuden's formula that much. I hope it doesn't become anything like 4kids One Piece dub, thank god Funi saved it.
    I also am not expecting huge edits from Disney. Viz Media, the one who has the English license and does the dubs, seems to be happy about the partnership, and they hopefully wouldn't alienate their fan base too much, but again, as they state in the article posted in the first post, their target audience is boys 6-14; so, that is about whom they really care, and the series will be made accordingly. Since the first dub was also to that audience though, you should expect around the same level of content.

Quote Quote:
    The beginning was mediocre, subsequent arcs were handled very well. Besides Naruto only said "Believe it" for the first couple arcs. Then they cut it from the script.
    "Believe it" was toned down a lot after the Chuunin exam, although I don't recall Naruto saying it ("dattebayo") that much in the original Japanese that much after that point either. So it wasn't like it was something that was really much of a big deal after a certain point anyway. The point I was saying earlier was that I wasn't fond of the translation. I would have preferred him saying "dattebayo" to "believe it."

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Blackout286's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I hate to see how Disney handles Hidan and Kakuzu.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member [Cross]'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, think about it this way. Since they've acquired marvel, they might be trying to bring in the slightly older crowd to the whole deal whilst giving them some naruto that is of a more mature tone. Also remember that they used to air the old x-men animated series, which had its own moments of mature tone. They have quite a lot to work with, and are more likely to give the series better treatment than CN (reality lol) ever would have in its current state.

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Blackout286
    So..So much stuff is going to get cut out and censored....so very badly.
    You didn't see the PL version, and I think it was based on Cartoon Network censored version of anime "Naruto", that's just.. I mean, for children it looks cool ^^'

Quote Originally Posted by weehoo107
    examples would be
    hmm, your probably seeing far into it - it wasn't even shown in the original Japanese transmission of episodes with Itachi - they can be a little censored in that version <half-joke>

what I have a problem with is that if Disney botches this up, then respect for Naruto in general will go down. there are alreday a bunch of people who don't even bother to pick up the Manga cause it's full of "ninjas' and the kid on the front cover is in an orange jumpsuit. Judging a book by it's cover is bad enough, but when someone puts out an extremely censored, kid-friendly anime of it?
    No, no, I think it's always good when more kids will see it, like in this example, Disney channel. I can compare to the pl dub when it was first aired: just overall record of people being on the probably most popular "Naruto" pl forum after the airing of first episodes - and later you see comments like: "I firstly seen "Naruto" on that and that channel, but later I typed on google Naruto and found out that the version on that canal was crap and now I'm watching episodes with subtitles" and similar; it's a really good way to actually get more attention.. but only on younger audience <but always sth> xD

But I actually don't watch any of those so.. I have no idea what I'm doing here xd But really though, you make some funny comments like if it was REALLY the end of the world; Naruto anime is just a cartoon for children, even more censored than original 'masterpiece' manga, so it shouldn't be an issue that such firms like Disney buy it and do it even more censored <ahh, crap, what I'm saying xd>
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity DARK's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Naruto is officially a "cash cow" if VIZ and/or TV Tokyo are selling it to Disney.

Wow, it's going to air on Disney XD?! One of the least seen channels ever. More people watch it on Cartoon Network and Disney. I understand if CN decided not to air the show, but why place it in an even worse hellhole?

Digimon: Data Squad (the last dubbed anime to have aired on that channel) was more strictly edited by Disney/Jetex than ANY instances of censorship Naruto dealt with on behalf of Cartoon Network.

Disney is targeted towards YOUNGER kids. Even on Jetex, they had STRICT censoring conditions. That means no blood, no mention of kill/death, etc. Cartoon Network kept those censoring conditions. This is basically screaming out little kids to bury their faces in the sandbox again.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member [Cross]'s Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Not exactly, supposedly, Disney XD has been receiving higher ratings than it's predicessor, and I believe that Disney is trying to bring more boys with their acquisition of marvel and now of Naruto. They are going for an edgier toon disney are settling for action/comedy.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member weehoo107's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    But I actually don't watch any of those so.. I have no idea what I'm doing here xd But really though, you make some funny comments like if it was REALLY the end of the world; Naruto anime is just a cartoon for children, even more censored than original 'masterpiece' manga, so it shouldn't be an issue that such firms like Disney buy it and do it even more censored <ahh, crap, what I'm saying xd>
    lol, that wouldn't be the end of the world, that would be hell freezing over xD

maybe I'm over-reacting, but everytime I heard "Disney' uttered, I shudder. It's just automatic.

yeah, but what if their parents look at the real thing and forbid them from watching the real thing?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity DARK's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by [Cross] View Post
    Not exactly, supposedly, Disney XD has been receiving higher ratings than it's predicessor, and I believe that Disney is trying to bring more boys with their acquisition of marvel and now of Naruto. They are going for an edgier toon disney are settling for action/comedy.
    But is it really suitable to air something geared towards teens (to be specific, 10-18) on a channel for kids (6-9)? I really cannot imagine placing Naruto Shippuden on a channel that regularly airs Suite Life and Phineas and Ferb. Just a complete contrast.
    Last edited by DARK; September 10, 2009 at 08:54 PM.

Intl Translator MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted juUnior's Avatar
    Country
    Poland
    Post Thanks / Like

lol, that wouldn't be the end of the world, that would be hell freezing over xD
    haha XD

maybe I'm over-reacting
    No, no, wihu 007 <>, it' not maybe, you're just over-reacting xd

Quote Quote:
    yeah, but what if their parents look at the real thing and forbid them from watching the real thing?
    hmm, you think parents would do sth like that? Yours did sth like that to you? It's a different matter. The point is that kids can try to find more info on Naruto on the internet, and it can lead to "conversion" <seeing the real thing xD> starting by seeing the "kids cartoon" on tv.
    ..:: I LoVe I's ::.. [Naruto] Share your thoughts on: Boobies

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    maybe I'm over-reacting, but everytime I heard "Disney' uttered, I shudder. It's just automatic.
    bah back in my day, when you heard Disney, you would be filled with joy!!!!

Quote Quote:
    hmm, you think parents would do sth like that? Yours did sth like that to you? It's a different matter. The point is that kids can try to find more info on Naruto on the internet, and it can lead to "conversion" <seeing the real thing xD> starting by seeing the "kids cartoon" on tv.
    indeed, I dont think many parents are hardcore enough to look up random animes to see if they're appropriate

New Reply
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 12 ... LastLast