Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 506 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Translation help

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Eshvoide's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Translation help

I'm trying to get information about this character:

(in case you are wondering, this is from the Zoids: Generations 'Original Story' artbook)
    Thank you for your time.

Considering that the scan I made makes it difficult to see the stroke count on the kanji, I decided to see how well I translate this now that I have a nice new "Kanji Learner's Dictionary". I know I'm probably DEAD wrong on the translations.

There are four sentences...
    - A person in hiding tries to make to her to a small village near the outskirts of the boundary, she has been living her life in a ZOIDS since she was little.
    - (the 2nd sentence just lost me, and it's not really making any sense to me)... uh, the village chief took her in to raise her in a bright and cheerful environment, but one she would try to figure out where she belonged?
    - At a young age, she received a pale blue LIGER-ZERO and she used it actively to patrol a nearby field. (I have NO idea what souga is.)
    - Belonging to a tribal family, she had a connection to the person in charge?

Damn, this is hard.

This was my translation... the stuff in parentheses are kanji translated)
    - (hide) (person) ta chi no (make) tta (vicinity) (boundary) (small) sa na (village), ka ge ri ni (little) (woman)
    - (village) (chief) de a ru ha ku ku ru no mo to de, (element/plain) (straight/fix) sa to (bright/clear) (cheerful/clear) (pleasant) (active/life) sa o (picture) ni (depict) i ta yo u ni ma ssu gu (raise) tta ga, (village) ni ha (same) (world/age) (substitute/generation/change) no (child/noun suffix) (offer) ga i na ka tta ko to mo a ri, (world/age) (question) (know) ra zu ka ra ku ro (stubborn) (solid/firm) sa o (hold) chi (combine/fit) wa se te i ru.
    - (very young) i (summit/recieve humbly) ka ra (pale blue) i LIGER-ZERO, SOUGA to (joint) ni (field) o (drive) ke (patrol) ru (life/born/student) (active/life) o (send) tte i ta.
    - SOUGA ha (house/family) (tribe/family) no yo u na (connection/barrier/getaway) (person in charge).
    Last edited by Eshvoide; September 28, 2009 at 12:55 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk...I have a workstation.

Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member cmertb's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Translation help

It is hard to make out at this resolution. I suggest you search by radicals, not by stroke count. E.g., here's the first sentence: 隠者たちの作った辺境の小さな村、カゲリに暮らすゾイド乗りの少女。

The translation should be IMO: A ZOID riding girl who leads a gloomy life in a small frontier village built by recluses/hermits.

Here's a helpful link I used: http://www.edrdg.org/cgi-bin/wwwjdic/wwwjdic?1R

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not a translator here (well, probably because I haven't found anything I want to translate^^), but hope this helps you.

ミドリ
    隠者たちの作った辺境の小さな村、カゲリに暮らすゾイド乗りの少女。村長であるハククウ元で、素直さと明朗快活さを絵に描いたようにまっすぐ育ったが、村には同世代の子供がいなかったともあり、世間知らずからくる頑固さを持ち合わせている。幼い頃から蒼いライガーゼロ、ゾウガと共に野を駆け巡る生活を送っていた。ゾウガとは家族のような関係。

I didn't really translate it, its more like a paraphrase:
    A young zoid rider living in the small, remote village of Kageri. Living with the village leader, Hakukuu, she was raised to be quiet and cheerful, but as there were no other children around her age, she grew up to be stubborn and didn't really understand the world around her. Every since she was young, she enjoyed a life of playing in the fields with her blue Liger-Zero, Zouga. Zouga is like family to her.

And since I know absolutely nothing about zoids, that's the best I can do.

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Eshvoide's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by cmertb View Post
    It is hard to make out at this resolution. I suggest you search by radicals, not by stroke count. E.g., here's the first sentence: 隠者たちの作った辺境の小さな村、カゲリに暮らすゾイド乗りの少女。

The translation should be IMO: A ZOID riding girl who leads a gloomy life in a small frontier village built by recluses/hermits.

Here's a helpful link I used: http://www.edrdg.org/cgi-bin/wwwjdic/wwwjdic?1R
    Yes, sorry for the resolution. I'll try to make things bigger next time. I had to go back to the book multiple times to actually see those obscure lines, but sometimes it didn't help at all.

Kodansha Kanji Learner's Dictionary
    My kanji dictionary seems to determine the kanji by... left/right (隠) (for example, stroke count that 'beta' looking character then guess the stroke count of the next), up/down (暮) (the line with the two dashes on the very top, then guess the stroke count of the bottom), enclosure (辺) (the L type shape that seems to be in the lower left corner of the 'chikara' or 'ken' type kanji), or solid (少) (with no relation to the other three, everything is placed in here)... the dictionary also tells me say look up kanji # so so if it's an incorrect classification, though one thing I have noticed that my dictionary really doesn't show what happens to the kanji when paired up with some others, because I know there are a few out there were if you add another kanji, the meaning changes drastically...

I started to use that link when someone showed it to me. I could use some radicals with certain ones, but the others I was more of... what do I put with what to get this?

Thank you for your help.

Quote Originally Posted by abcd9146 View Post
    I'm not a translator here (well, probably because I haven't found anything I want to translate^^), but hope this helps you.

ミドリ
    隠者たちの作った辺境の小さな村、カゲリに暮らすゾイド乗りの少女。村長であるハククウ元で、素直さと明朗快活さを絵に描いたようにまっすぐ育ったが、村には同世代の子供がいなかったともあり、世間知らずからくる頑固さを持ち合わせている。幼い頃から蒼いライガーゼロ、ゾウガと共に野を駆け巡る生活を送っていた。ゾウガとは家族のような関係。

I didn't really translate it, its more like a paraphrase:
    A young zoid rider living in the small, remote village of Kageri. Living with the village leader, Hakukuu, she was raised to be quiet and cheerful, but as there were no other children around her age, she grew up to be stubborn and didn't really understand the world around her. Every since she was young, she enjoyed a life of playing in the fields with her blue Liger-Zero, Zouga. Zouga is like family to her.

And since I know absolutely nothing about zoids, that's the best I can do.
    Wow, you're translation seems much better than mine. I know kanji is a big help when doing translation because it sorta to me is like keywords, but not knowing sentence structure (from what I heard, it's like Latin: subject, predicate, verb). I'm slowly taking Japanese by myself since my school doesn't teach it, and I'm slowly plodding through the pages of the japanese for beginner type books.

Argh, katakana really threw me off. I thought certain katakana(s) had a kanji (like village in this example) depiciting it was a name of a city. But I guess if someone said amerika so fast, I would say... what?

Thank you for your help as well.

---

ZOIDS is a series that features characters that ride these gigantic robotic creatures representing what looks like animals called 'Zoids'. The series of Zoids she came from is not in either the anime or manga releases of the series. The artbook (shown below) seems to show the series in a 'novel' format.

I forgot to add a picture of the artbook it's from. Midori is on the front cover.
    Last edited by Eshvoide; September 28, 2009 at 10:35 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
    A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk...I have a workstation.

New Reply