Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply

Thread: Free Naruto RPG?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Free Naruto RPG?

I'm refering to tabletop roleplaying games. Are there any free fanmade Naruto tabletop systems where you can actually play your way from genin to the top, explore the Naruto world and encounter/create new and unique jutsus? It could be cool since the Naruto world is open for that kind of game (and have much freedom) and I'm sure a big part of the fan community are roleplayers. If there are no good free Naruto RPGs, would you want one? I'm experienced with many different games and systems and could create a balanced game system for a Naruto RPG if you people would support the idea.

The basic ideas I have is that it would be mainly set in the time after the kyuubi attack to before Naruto's generation would join the academy. That way the world could be rather static and RPG groups can explore all parts of the world or encounter anyone because they haven't been killed off in the story yet. It would also support different timelines to anytime during the manga's storyline to way back in the Uchiha vs Senju time.

The game system would be a unique one to fit a new way of fighting (ninjutsu fighting and chakra control). I can't give further details on this yet but I have plenty of ideas of how it could work. The goal would be to make it easy to learn and use. I can imagine a combination of White Wolf's successes system with other influences.

I'm sure there are already Naruto RPG out there but I haven't found anyone to test and I've only heard bad news about those that roam the Internet. If you want me to write this system, please post ideas of how it could work in this thread. It would also be completely free and non-commercial because it's a fanmade game based on a copyrighted world. The finished texts would be uploaded as PDF files and I'd like to use fanart to spice up the pages.

Are there any interest for this project? Would you play it? Would you support it? If not, I won't make it.

Edit: Forum for Naruto RPG: http://narutorpg.findtalk.net/portal.htm
    Last edited by Ekorren; October 29, 2009 at 01:38 AM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Kozar927's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Free Naruto RPG?

While if their isnt I am sure supportive of your idea. Im a fan of tabeltop RPGs and it sounds like you can make a preety good one. I would love to follow your progress
    I need a new sig. Someone make me one plz

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for the reply. I've made notes about character creation and the fighting system and I'm pretty happy with how this turns out. I was wondering if anyone will be interested in "beta reading" (so to speak) preview chapters of the system when I'm done with some drafts? I would also like some inspiration in the terms of jutsus that I can implement and how they'd work. I made a test jutsu (Fire Style: Great Fireball Jutsu) and tested it with the system I had drafted (in a few hours or so) and it works moderately for one day of ideas. It's very easy to learn and use and still kind of unpredictable (ones chakra control can buff or nerf jutsus depending on the outcome of the rolls). I believe one who's familiar with tabletop would like this system.

Like mentioned earlier, I'd like some inspiration of original jutsu to implement (apart from those in the databooks) with names and visualization (I can add the stats). Also some kekkei genkai and family clan jutsu that are not in databooks but seem logical (with the story) and balanced. This is to add some variety to character customization. Wouldn't be fun if everyone used jutsu or joined clans which are part of Naruto canon.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner antonyredeemed's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

count me in ...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds interesting, but most people prefer a graphical adventure over text now days. Keep in mind I said most, not all.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Sachsenhesse's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

actually there is one, just in german ^^

www.narutogame.de if you can read german, enjoy :P

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Unfortunately I can't read German. I did study it for two years though. Didn't pay attention. ^^

I appreciate your support. I might have a full draft (alpha version) of the character creation soon. If you want to read it when it's done (another day or two), send me your e-mail in a PM and I'll send the documents. I'd also appreciate if anyone confident in English (it's my second language) could correct my grammar or perhaps even rewrite some of it to sound more fluent.
    Last edited by Ekorren; September 24, 2009 at 09:42 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member kakuro's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

http://www.Narutod20.com this is a really good site and the free PDF book has a little bit of everything,from the Mubi clan from Samurai Deeper Kyo, to some of the swords and techniques from Bleach,to Hiten Mitsurugi style from Rurouni Kenshin.Hell even the Kamehameha is in there. However it is still strictly a Naruto game and has all the jutsu from the series and much, more though all most all of them are original. however the book it's self is very,very,very LONG and nothing is numbered with the exception of the chapters at the beginning and those are in roman numerals making it very hard to navigate(remember the full reader search is your best friend). still it's a very fun system and has many, many classes and jutsu to choose from, and if you don't like something in the book alter it and make your own. I do that all the time for the puppeteer class by making all my own weapon components. the guys on the forum are semi-friendly and are willing to help out new players and there is even a thread specifically dedicated your own stuff. take a look and enjoy ^_^. sorry for the long post I should have your first post more clearly but if you'll add in a puppeteer class then definitely count me in. I've got a ton of ideas for jutsu as it is.
    Last edited by kakuro; September 23, 2009 at 07:23 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Naruto d20 looks pretty good. I've made a new system though inspired by that in the World of Darkness series. Never really liked the d20 system. I hope you'll like this one.

And yes, I've added a puppeteer as one of the archetype classes and I'm going to work on a system for creating your own puppets. I'm also pretty much done with the character creation now. It's very wide with unlimited customization but still very simple and fast. I hope you'll like it. It's inspired by that of the Swedish RPG Noir.

First alpha draft of the character creation might be done today or tomorrow.

First draft of the character creation is done. Currently working on the fighting system. I think I've discovered a really good system. It's not very complex but still uses the aspects of chakra control efficiently. Even hand seals are present to some extent. The battle is still very well-paced and easy to visualize.

I could need some respons to the draft of the character creation though. Send your e-mail in a PM if you want to read it.
    Last edited by Ekorren; September 25, 2009 at 11:19 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

may count me in for beta-testing. Been playing tabletops since 5th grade in school, first AD&D, then mostly different Russian systems, which I'm sure you're unheard of, currently mostly "system-less" games.
    Last edited by hirou; September 28, 2009 at 04:32 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ameya730's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

count me in i love RPG's and i love naruto so its a match made in heaven

there are a couple of ideas i would like to say i would love for the story revolve around clan wars in konoha and then set up the story

since it is after the kyuubi attack you can say that the presence of naruto as the demon fox kid has caused uneasiness in the village and its causing clans to protest against sarutobi and his decision to keep naruto alive. some clans support him and some go against him.

someone is causing all these unrest and it is your job as the jounin of the village to find out the source of these problems you could have anywhere between 2 to 4 players and you could choose from kakashi's generation of jounin as members of your team

i dont know anything about programming and stuff so the most i can help you with is story and fleshing out characters

for example you could choose your character from the various clans or someone who does not belong to any particular clan.... this would be similar to how humans are the basic class and then you have elfs dwarfs gnomes etc

count me in for beta testing
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hirou View Post
    may count me in for beta-testing. Been playing tabletops since 5th grade in school, first AD&D, then mostly different Russian systems, which I'm sure you're unheard of, currently mostly "system-less" games.
    I've currently written about 40 pages of rules, jutsu stats and character creation. You can almost create a full character from what I have this far. 2/3 of a character sheet is done too. I need someone to test the character creation to see what works, what doesn't and what I need to remove or flesh out. If you're up for it, just send me your e-mail in a PM and I can send you some early PDF drafts.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Russian Federation
    Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs Up Re: Free Naruto RPG?

Recieved your e-mail yesterday, but had no time to test. I'll try to do it on the week-end and send you the results. But still, from the first glance, you've done a great job. Looking forward for jutsu chapter

Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

I have created a forum for this project:
    http://narutorpg.findtalk.net/portal.htm

If you want to follow the production, you may register there.

New Reply