Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Popularity Polls

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Doumo's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Popularity Polls

This thread is intended to be about the popularity polls in general and on how much they influence the plot...

First of all let's look at the numbers:

Weekly Shounen Jump sells 2,700,000 copies a week...
    the Popularity polls counts at least 200.000 coupons sent each time...
    this makes them less then the 10% of the readers.

If we were speaking of a normal poll it would be a really good sampling, but
    there' s something that isn't written in those numbers...

How many of Jump's readers are really shounen ?
    That's really a point that we have here, since those that started reading One Piece when they were shounen should be now about 24...
    same for Naruto fans that should be 22...
    have they stopped reading the manga because the were not more shounen ? I think this's unlikely to happen.

Now my point is:
    Were you one of them would've you sent a coupon to vote your favourite character ?
    It's an embarassing thing to buy a shounen magazine if you're not a shounen anymore...but you can always subscribe it...
    but sending a coupon to a redaction with your name and etc...is a bit too much in my opinion...
    what's more is that "sending a vote to a shounen magazine poll" is a stupid thing to do for an adult to start with...
    so my theory is that only real shounen send their coupon to the magazine...
    (well, there will always be some weird guy like you that will do it...yes..I know you did it, it's no use to deny it....)

This said all the popularity polls are inaccurate for me...especially if you consider that the older readers are those with more money and then the
    main target for the merchandising...

This thread was wrote because someone said that Hallibel has no fanbase in japan basing on the polls and I wanted to explain how this affirmation was likely to be false...

Feel free to contribute or criticize...

By the way, next poll seems to be about your favourite battle until now, so let's hear your opinion...

Spoiler show

2. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member poobert's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Popularity polls

Quote Originally Posted by Doumo View Post
    That's really a point that we have here, since those that started reading One Piece when they were shounen should be now about 24...
    same for Naruto fans that should be 22...
    have they stopped reading the manga because the were not more shounen ? I think this's unlikely to happen.
    Nostalga hit! Damn straight I am never going to give up on one piece! Also watching the naruto anime for the first time was awesome! I can still remember the corny theme tune at the end. "Don't cry! 'cos your so right! you will hate yourself in the end!" (don't know what the hell it was on about)

Quote Quote:
    This said all the popularity polls are inaccurate for me...especially if you consider that the older readers are those with more money and then the main target for the merchandising...
    I am not sure about this. Nowadays children tend to get a lot of pocket money (a lot more than they used to) and so if you notice, advertising is largely aimed at teenagers (and young women). There is huge purchasing power behind shounen who can be whipped in to frenzy by good marketing.

Market research in to the area would confirm this, along with a few sales figures. I have little doubt that popularity polls reflect the views of the people that buy most of the merchandise.

I would agree that this is not the same as you would get from averaging the opinions of everyone who buys Jump. This would have to include passive readers, who are more likely to be older.
    My blog. Not very interesting, but if you are bored and want to burn time, there are pages of junk to read!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ozehro's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Popularity Polls

Quote Quote:
    the Popularity polls counts at least 200.000 coupons sent each time...
    this makes them less then the 10% of the readers.
    I think the polls are quite accurate tbh.lol.
    although I agree that we can't make comments like Harribel has
    no fanbase. The poll isn't capable of indicating such things.
    It just shows what characters are generally favoured by fans...

so anyway do these poll's affect the plot? I think they do have an effect.
    End of the day, manga is business. and I assume that the artists generally
    aim to appease their consumer needs, instead of boldly expressing any
    artistic idea that come in to mind. However that said I think Bleach might
    be taking a middle ground. So it's not so bad..lol.

*Predictions:*
    |Ulquiorra was the only VL under Aizen|
    |Aizen is not the last villain in Bleach|
    |Use the espada sig and Credit Geoff|

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Bleach characters and zanpakotou popularity poll discussion.....

Seein that no one ever posted them or we have never had a discussion on them and their weight on the plot,I'd like to post them:

Spoiler: 1ST POLL:BLEACH VOLUME 8 show

Spoiler: 2ND POLL: BLEACH VOLUME 13 show

Spoiler: 3RD POLL,PUBLISHED ON CHAPTER 214 show

Spoiler: 4TH POLL,POSTED IN CHAPTER 307 show

Spoiler: 5TH POLL: IS A ZANPAKOTOU POLL POSTED ON VOLUMJE 48 show

Spoiler: 6TH POLL: IS A BEST BOUT POLL POSTED ON CHAPTER 392 show
    Last edited by igotthegoods; February 28, 2010 at 03:21 PM. Reason: added spoiler tags for easier overview ^^

New Reply