Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/22/14 - 9/28/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member NoLimit89's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

People who know about One Piece that I've met are divided into either

1) love it like it's the best thing in the world (and rightfully so)

OR

2) hate it even though they haven't even watched a single episode.

Okay I've exaggerated #2 abit but the basic and ONLY argument I've seen for people hating One Piece is that - the main character looks so stupid, it looks so kiddish, crappy plot, I can't possibly sit through even 5 minutes of it, it is that bad. (I got this from quite a few people).

What do you say to those people?
    Last edited by NoLimit89; September 27, 2009 at 07:52 PM.

2. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: (Social topic) - What do you say to people who hates One Piece

I think most people are turned off by the more "child-like" art. They are used to seeing manga (or anime) like Bleach or other manga that have ,essentially, "badass" looking characters in the normal form. Big muscles, drawn darker, and serious more times than not. They don't really give it a chance.

When you do finally give it a chance and check more than 2 chapters or episodes, you see that One Piece is badass in its own way. The cartoony looking characters make sense in the world Oda creates and you find yourself loving it . This gives it a very original feel.

I have also heard people complain it has no real plot development because nobody dies.

1) That's not true; people die (especially in flashbacks), just not as much as other manga.
    2) Oda has stated before that he doesn't like killing characters because he thinks it is a cheap way to create drama. And he does a great job creating drama without killing off characters left and right.
    3) And since when has killing people been the only way to advance plot devlopment? One Piece has an amazingly complex plot (as far as shonen manga go) and it controls it to where it doesn't get too overwhelming for the reader.

So finally, to all who say they hate One Piece...you're crazy

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

"You're wrong."

The only time it really gets to me is if they don't like One Piece but do like Naruto or Bleach. Some people don't like meat, fine, but who likes meat and not filet mignon? Naruto and Bleach are barely worth being in the same sentence as One Piece.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

5. Thanks 9 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

yea so true^^^ I get those from my cousin's friends. But luckily I'm 20 and they're 16ish and I just give them a smack and be like shut your mouth boy!!! (in a joking manner though, not like actually hurting them)

and it completely shits me when they say no plot, crappy character development and all that jazz especially since I think One Piece has the best plot and character development and even inspirational themes that puts it ahead of not just other manga/anime but most entertainment/television/media in general.
    Last edited by NoLimit89; September 27, 2009 at 08:04 PM.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

"try it"

most of them never give it a chance =(
    its because of the art, i think

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What do you say to people who hates One Piece?

something they dont like about One Piece (which i assume because i hate it sometimes) is the amount of dialogue. I am guessing this is one of the reasons there aren't more translators and scanlators for One Piece.
    I don't really see anything wrong with the drawing/art. Its actually better than most mangas out there (only one i can say is better is Vagabond).

i just ignore them, convicing people is just too taxing.
    Trafalgar Law is the new Shichibukai. He cut down the samurai from Wano. 2-15-12

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

"Yeah, I hate you. STFU" ...

But seriously, it depends on whether or not those people want to hate OP or just simply don't know it. In most cases I'll ask why and what they're reading instead and try to get them read some of the recent chapters which are different from the first 100 ones.

But if they say that out of pure bashing, I keep on ignoring them - maybe I start to bash their favorite manga, but most likely not. Because I think, that this is much more childish than a manga could ever be. Yeah - even manga for a pure children audience. Criticism is fine, though - but most of the ones bashing think they have some kind of right to bloat forums.
    no longer participating forums...

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

actually I do know a few people who actually hates it though.

and I just found out recently that one of them is actually up to date with it. which I can't really wrap my head around - because why would anyone watch it if they hate the show?

he kept saying that the main character was goofy and annoying, the story development is slower than dragonballz and a pain to watch, etc etc ...

particularly his attitude really got to me when he said, "Now, this is compounded by the fact that an arc about comradery ends with constant 1vs1 battles; ruining storyline potency to satisfy shounen convention. How typical.".

yea a total nutjob hater.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Estonia
    Post Thanks / Like

I usually say something in the way of "You don't give it a chance/You need to watch all of the episodes until the end of Robin's rescue or even all the episodes" because if you reach that point, you truly realise what One Piece is about. The deep story-line, the connections, the Devil Fruit powers, the justice powers, the hundreds of individual characters (which I think is unique with One Piece). They do not understand the story-line.
    For my case, I can say, that I didn't like Katekyo Hitman Reborn after watching the first few episodes, because it seemed weird to me and I didn't know much about it. But my friend suggested how cool it was all the time, so I took the time to read the manga and found it very enjoyable. I think the case here is also for those people, they just don't take time to watch OP.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Light thinks it travels faster than anything but it is wrong. No matter how fast light travels it finds darkness has always got there first, and is waiting for it." - "Reaper Man" by Terry Pratchett

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member modoki's Avatar
    Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally, a majority of people i know who dislikes one piece all tell me the same thing.
    "I gave the first 10 episodes a trial run and it sucked badly."

Well can't stop them, but i can say any good long running anime such as one piece requires "years" worth of character development before getting straight to the point of the story.

IF they are that much in a rush and have no patience, watch Zombie Loan or something.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I used to hate One Piece but now I enjoy it having read it a 2nd time and it's not without it's faults. If someone doesn't like it you might as well just say "well it's not for everyone." If theres one thing that makes me not like One Piece more is the fanboyism(even though that has nothing to do with the manga itself).

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I have yet to have a discussion with someone about that lol. I guess that is because people who do not like one piece are not bound to post in the OP forum lol.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by modoki View Post
    Personally, a majority of people i know who dislikes one piece all tell me the same thing.
    "I gave the first 10 episodes a trial run and it sucked badly."
    If they started like that, I might ask back: "4kids or RTL2 version? Or the already pre-censored Japanese version?" ;P

Pre-censored because:
    Spoiler show
    no longer participating forums...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sharingan_kakashi View Post
    something they dont like about One Piece (which i assume because i hate it sometimes) is the amount of dialogue. I am guessing this is one of the reasons there aren't more translators and scanlators for One Piece.
    I don't really see anything wrong with the drawing/art. Its actually better than most mangas out there (only one i can say is better is Vagabond).

i just ignore them, convicing people is just too taxing.
    The dialogue is the best part! One Piece chapters have meat to them, a good 10-15 minutes worth of reading. I've tried reading Naruto occasionally and it's over before it started.

It is worth noting that One Piece is far and away the most popular in Japan (at least based on sales), it just gets less respect in America for some reason. Is it like that in other countries as well? Maybe it just has fewer fangirls?
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member mashimashilove's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i say, "i hated it too the first time i read through it. i couldn't even stomach three chapters. but then i went back again and fell in love with it. now do the same!" >

that's only for the manga though- i don't really like the anime. the voices of the characters annoy me. xD

New Reply
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast