Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast
Results 136 to 150 of 168

Thread: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

  1. #136
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    Being highest selling should never be an argument though. Looking at mainstream media and recognizing that absolute shit sells like hot cakes, sales numbers shouldn't be taken as a representative of quality.
    Sure it's not only the sales (while "sales only" for sure is a counter argument to brush some bashers off that come up with other serieses being more succesful - which is wrong - therefore One Piece isn't as good). But still, One Piece does sell very well not only in the primary Jump target audience but also for much older ages. So One Piece ain't just mainstream. With the One Piece Ten it arrived in modern japanese culture IMHO - which other serieses didn't and most likely are never going to.

    One still has the freedom not to like it of course, but simply bashing is even more annoying than being woken up by the neighbours' baby at midnight for its first weeks.

    Quote Originally Posted by Anduren View Post
    -Fairy Tail: caters to those who crave eye candy.
    Uhm, I think that really belongs to Bleach, too. Kubo's drawing style is much more tuned for eye-candy poses and character movements - Mashima is pretty much as comical as One Piece.

    But it's completely right that you need to like at least some pervy aspects of manga while reading especially both One Piece and Fairy Tail and become comfortable with them. Oda openly shows his affection to well-shaped characters while still being able to make jokes about that, so does Mashima. And both are great fans of Toriyama who... well invented characters named "Norimaki Senbe" and "Muten Roshi", while the first like ten chapters of Dragon Ball aren't actually SFW as it wouldn't get into the Jump of today...

    Quote Originally Posted by Kyouria View Post
    As someone who ended up dropping the anime (One Piece)..

    It was really good. I liked the storyline and the characters but if I remember correctly, I think I dropped it because of its length. For me, Bleach was One Piece to me for a while at least.
    The anime actually never was "good". Adequate (except the filler content) and mostly as entertaining as the original piece, yes - unlike one started watching the 4kids crap (or started the series by watching the late German translations).

    I can understand if people say that a series runs too long, and one feels that he has to move on. The personal taste changes. Some goes with food. I used to hate spinach, but nowadays it's actually become one of my favorite vegetable (if prepared right ) But it would be great if people then behaved like the adults they express they would become instead of appearing as ranting teenagers only. And this doesn't only refer to people bashing One Piece - such arrogancy is quite a disease nowadays that spreads in all Shounen forums once the series achieve a certain grade of popularity.

    And I think that is what is to complain about: The bashers.

  2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  3. #137
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Avid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    I've never been able to identify with the complaint of length. So what, you'll have something that you have more to go with for awhile. I love that. I've literally read enough manga to say I've read into a five digit figure worth of chapters. Hell, a favorite of mine titled Hajime no Ippo is over 1000 chapters and still going. It actually works really well because it really keeps the momentum of a good showdown going.

    I had been online reading manga for seven years before I started One Piece in 2010, and before that I had considered it the lowest of the big 3 Shounens. It was because of the art and the 4kids dub. The early parts of One Piece make for a good shounen, but One Piece didn't find greatness until they had reached Grand Line. I was in the middle of the Skypiea arc when I realized I was in love with it, and it has always delivered great stuff to me. When I tell people about it I tell them to trust me and stick with it. They'll love it before long.

  4. #138
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Quote Originally Posted by Anduren View Post
    The fact that One Piece actually tops the charts gives it's fans something called "bragging rights" which is exclusive for whoever is at the top. This doesn't necessarily make it classy but people who don't find One Piece their favorite can't complain about One Piece being at the top just because they don't like it or wish their favorite was at the top instead. That's like complaining that gravity's holding you down .
    I have no idea what possessed me to look at threads I posted in over a year ago, I woke up at 5 am and couldn't get back to bed so I was doing all sorts of random stuff on my computer....but since I looked at this thread since the last time I did when I posted, and since I apparently have no life, I might as well explain my old post.

    I have no problem with One Piece being at the top in Japan. That's cool. My point is, every anime/manga has an annoying fanbase....and the most annoying thing any fanbase has to say (or at least IMO) is "_____is the best series ever, *insert authors name* is a genius and no other story can even be compared to it!"

    So why do I say One Piece has the worst fanboys? (And note I said fanboys, not fans. I'm not applying this to everyone who is a fan of One Piece, not to mention that would apply to me too. The One Piece forum here is great actually, I only really see fanboys on comments in Youtube and other places that are broader than one manga forum) Because One Piece fanboys simply have the best ammunition. They have the best argument to back up their claim. Like for example, take baseball. The Yankees have generally outperformed all other teams in both leagues by an absurd margin. Because of that, if an obnoxious Yankee fan says your team sucks, he can always throw in your face the fact that his team has won the World Series several more times than your team has. It's just easier to be an asshole about something when you can say it's number 1.

    Also One Piece fanboys have a tendency to go into discussions or videos for other series and say "This chapter was good, but it cannot be compared to this weeks One Piece Chapter!" or, probably the most annoying: "This was low quality. *Insert authors name* needs to take notes from Oda.* It's obnoxious, and it does turn some people off from One Piece(at least in my experience with people not wanting to get into it other than art reasons and thinking that horrible 4kids adaptation is an accurate depiction of what One Piece really is). They like other series, but may want to pick up One Piece and then encounter some guy who rips on their current favorite series and says it cannot be compared to One Piece. That fellow then either never gives One Piece the time of the day, or gets into it but comes in with a bias against it due to butthurt from said fanboy's comment, and ends up "disliking it". Of course, the former probably happens for every series, but I don't see much of the latter with any authors other than Oda, except for maybe Hiro Mashima when talking about his work ethic. Oda after all gets a lot of respect, which is very much deserved of course.

    It's really dumb that some people judge an entire series based on stupid comments like that, but it is one reason why One Piece gets hate, and it's success pisses off those people who are annoyed over stupid comments like that even further. So it's butthurt amplified by envy of One Piece's attention or recognition, if that makes sense lol. Perhaps those people are fanboys of other series, and it's just fanboy backlash from OP fanboys. Alright, I think I've used the word fanboy enough times today....

    ---------- Post added at 07:22 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by hoeru View Post
    Oh, come on. That's cheap, exacta. As if Bleach or Naruto fanboys would have never shown up, glorifying their story over One Piece. That was why terms like "Bleachhead" and "Narutard" came up in the first place and were for sure not invented by One Piece fans but manga fans in general. Saying One Piece has the worst fanboys is just lame as excuse for one's own bad behaviour.
    Well I certainly did not accuse One Piece fanboys of inventing being annoying on the Internet. However, at least from what I've seen, Naruto forums are civil war right now between people who like the current arc and people who don't, and people who don't like Obito and people who do. Bleach gets pooped on by people all the time just because of Kubo's 'troll king" status lol. One Piece tends to have much healthier discussions in my experience.

    ---------- Post added at 07:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 07:22 AM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    One could name: one of the best universe builders in the business, greatest variety in characters and showplaces, faceted plot, capable of combining and moving on with mutiple plot lines, give each arc character and use those arcs to reflect on real world problems. There are a lot of things where Oda shines so brilliantly, where it seems cowardly to blame the fandom for anything..
    Yeah I'm not cowardly bro lol. If anything I'm blunt.
    Last edited by exacta; April 05, 2014 at 08:33 AM.

  5. #139
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Only idiots use the "it's #1" argument. The rest is a description of fanboys being fanboys and applies to every kind of media/artist.

    Quote Originally Posted by exacta View Post
    One Piece tends to have much healthier discussions in my experience.

    Yeah I'm not cowardly bro lol. If anything I'm blunt.
    It's healthier since it's constantly more entertaining, has fewer down sides, people don't feel fooled, lead around by the nose by the author. Oda is still capable of holding the standard high, doesn't use deus ex machina, but draws onto past characters, is capable of making his story appear like a real epic adventure. And it sure got it's own problems and the fantastic thing is that he knows about them, is capable of adressing them to a degree. Now he is capable of keeping fights short, only showing the important parts as with the Franky being in the Toy House and Usopp facing Trebol/Sguar, until they have their final match and can show off everything instead of having to repeat stuff, waste panels and chapters on fights.

    Luckily I don't see those idiotic comments, maybe it stems from me not watching Youtube reviews made by weird people, while also ignoring YT comments, which should be ignored to begin with. They represent the lowest common denominator of intelligence in the internet. :P
    Last edited by Schabrak; April 05, 2014 at 01:11 PM. Reason: s=t
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  7. #140
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,337
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    What I say to people who hate OP is that it's not at least bad like HxH, Toriko, and Fairy Tail seem to be, overall.

  8. #141
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,243
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    Only idiots use the "it's #1" argument. The rest is a description of fanboys being fanboys and applies to every kind of media/artist.

    It's healthier since it's constantly more entertaining, has fewer down sides, people don't feel fooled, lead around by the nose by the author. Oda is still capable of holding the standard high, doesn't use deus ex machina, but draws onto past characters, is capable of making his story appear like a real epic adventure. And it sure got it's own problems and the fantastic thing is that he knows about them, is capable of adressing them to a degree. Now he is capable of keeping fights short, only showing the important parts as with the Franky being in the Toy House and Usopp facing Trebol/Sguar, until they have their final match and can show off everything instead of having to repeat stuff, waste panels and chapters on fights.

    Luckily I don't see those idiotic comments, maybe it stems from me not watching Youtube reviews made by weird people, while also ignoring YT comments, which should be ignored to begin with. They represent the lowest common denominator of intelligence in the internet. :P
    I fully agree that only idiots use that argument. Sadly, there are many idiots on the Internet....Youtube is the easiest place to find them, but they are all over the place. Like for example on MangaHere, there's comments below for each chapter. I'm not saying it's a good idea to read such things, but people do, and that's where a lot of the hate for any series comes from lol. I do watch some people review manga/anime. Originally I was just watching Nostalgia Critic, and I guess that led me to looking for manga/anime reviews too...
    Last edited by exacta; April 05, 2014 at 07:16 PM.

  9. #142
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Country
    North Pole
    Posts
    669
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    I've consistently known people who said they didn't like One Piece. Then I pressured them to endure the first 30-40 episodes (people always want to just watch it rather than read it). They start with many of the same complaints about it looking stupid, childish, etc. But if they watch enough of it, they get hooked.

    The series starts off kinda slow, and is really boring in the anime... since the animation is really poor (hardly any frames, overuse of still shots, etc) and the pacing is more drawn-out than even old Dragonball Z episodes. That turns a lot of people off.

    But the series has a strong emotional core with endearing characters and adventuresome story arcs. That's what stays with people. And it's the reason why people who once disliked it end up liking it eventually. I'm one of those people, too.

  10. #143
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Spenzi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2013
    Location
    Zurich
    Country
    Switzerland
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    185
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    What I tell to people who hate One Piece?

    - Please do us all a favor and k*ll yourself.
    22.01.2014: Vivi is going to participate the Reverie this year with King Cobra. And she'll finally join Luffy's crew.

    Possible new nakama:
    - Kin'emon
    - Momonosuke
    - Bellamy
    - Ceaser Clown
    - Mancherie


  11. #144
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Quote Originally Posted by Spenzi View Post
    What I tell to people who hate One Piece?

    - Please do us all a favor and k*ll yourself.
    Read the post from exacta above and see how you have confirmed part of the bad view of OP fans. Thanks for giving us a bad reputation.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  12. #145
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    82
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    I try and draw relations between OP and things that they actually do like to show them that there is some common ground. I also like to link AMV's. I keep the funny videos away as most of OP humor requires context.

  13. #146
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ipoopshootingstars's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    86
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    I ask what kind of drugs they are on and ask where i can find them.
    Yes it hurts

  14. #147
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity danzouismadara's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Location
    zero division
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,589
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Good luck finding something better. One Piece is amazing.

    You know nothing John Snow.


    Can someone message me an anime that's similar to d grayman or claymore or deathnote?

    Ive seen Deathnote, deadman wonderland, fairytale, shigurui, ao no exorcist, beelzebub, samurai champloo, code geass, devil may cry, Hakuouki, monster, blood plus, gantz. Basically, something with demons and gore.

  15. #148
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    42
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Really, I say nothing. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Don't pat yourselves on the back for having all those witty comments ready just in case someone dares not to agree with your taste.

  16. #149
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    6,972
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Having an opinion doesn't make it good, right or educated and can be changed for the better or worse . Witty comments have little chance of convincing others though.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  17. #150
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Drinking Rum
    Country
    Germany
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    8,336
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Lets not wander off topic and into insults, discuss the issue at hand with more argumentation please!

  18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts