Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/15/14 - 9/21/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast
Results 121 to 135 of 168

Thread: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

  1. #121
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member The Red Dog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Country
    France
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    For posting such a post with an eye shut & the head full of homework,I have to kneel before your life force

    Quote Originally Posted by weixiaobao View Post

    To Avid, Berserk isn't shonen. The Red Dog- Lack of truth depth??? And then you mention Rurouni Kenshi. Ummm, as much as I love Rurouni Kenshi once upon a time. I don't view that series as having any depth like 20th century boys (seinen) or Berserk even the early Naruto. Rurouni Kenshi's moral is so simplistic as simplistic as Batman's wow of never kill. The whole if I kill I can never going back to Kenshin is so so unrealistic.
    It's not like Rurouni Kenshin is about Hippies,Peace & Love you know yes it has a strong anti violence message(former assasin Himura's reversed blade sword)but the major theme(to me)of the manga is atonement for one's crime...so yeah...keep in mind that I was comparing RK's depth to OP's in my previous post

    Quote Quote:

    One Piece unique signature is adventure on the epic scale like Lord of the Rings. That is what I like about One Piece. Hence I like Skypiea Arc despite others found it to be boring.
    And this is the manga's greatest strenght.OP is more "Adventure" focused than "Battle"
    Another big flaw is characters development....especialy the antagonists,the followers of "absolute justice" are commiting crimes in the name of it,under the pretense of protecting a certain "blank history"....the manga is about 60 volumes and the elements havn't begun to be pieced together .We the readers are being dragged along,like the absolute justice fanatics have good reasons for their ruthless behaviour & Oda'll give the reason eventualy...they're merely mindless assasins with no psyche,reflection or back story so far.

    Althought the notions of "good" & "evil" are turned up side down in the world of OP,the manga manage to get its lot of clichés.Some guy on YT pointed out how the SH always end up making friends with the "good guys" to beat up the "bad guys" & become "saviours"...seriously....how dubious is that

    And I used to like luffy's "D",the fact that he inherited a piece of Roger's will....then we realize in chapter 500 something that the hat which belonged to shanks...belonged originaly to the PK himself,then Luffy becomes capable of hearing "Voices"...he's some sort of "chosen one" ultra cliché stuff lol
    Even DB was'nt so Cliché man(Son Goku was in the lowest social class among saiyajins)

    I could go on & on but all in all OP is a very good shonen manga,I understand that people personaly puts it at the top of their list but sentimentality aside...it is obviously not a top 5 despite its numerous qualities
    Zettai-Teki Seigi/Absolute Justice

  2. #122
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Avid's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    97
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Quote Originally Posted by The Red Dog View Post
    Althought the notions of "good" & "evil" are turned up side down in the world of OP,the manga manage to get its lot of clichés.Some guy on YT pointed out how the SH always end up making friends with the "good guys" to beat up the "bad guys" & become "saviours"...seriously....how dubious is that

    And I used to like luffy's "D",the fact that he inherited a piece of Roger's will....then we realize in chapter 500 something that the hat which belonged to shanks...belonged originaly to the PK himself,then Luffy becomes capable of hearing "Voices"...he's some sort of "chosen one" ultra cliché stuff lol
    Even DB was'nt so Cliché man(Son Goku was in the lowest social class among saiyajins)

    I could go on & on but all in all OP is a very good shonen manga,I understand that people personaly puts it at the top of their list but sentimentality aside...it is obviously not a top 5 despite its numerous qualities
    Luffy has had a sort of empathy with everything from the beginning. When that pet food store was under attack by Buggy Luffy understood the dog guarding it. Luffy inspires the dreamer in everyone. I've never really thought of him as righteous, but as someone who came to care for others who had something that meant a lot to them that was similar to something that meant a lot to him, and stood up for them because of such. Luffy's never needed a lot of confessions or explanation. He's always been able to understand in his own unique way. You're missing a lot of the character that is there in your attempt to critique here. Why do you think Oda frequently has follow-up stories about his villains? Because everybody has Luffy's values deep down.

    I think they've all grown, but not so much in the sense you're expecting. You might distinguish growth through resolution, but One Piece has a thorough theme of camaraderie and the characters developments have been coming into that and learning what they can do together. I think they've all matured, but Oda doesn't go out of his way to have these big moments where they talk about it. He's one of the best when it comes to characterization.

    How can you say DB wasn't cliche when it was all about emotions and the desire to protect being the true source of power? Goku became so powerful because he was raised by humans, and Gohan was so powerful because he had the emotional delicacy of humanity and the powers of a saiyan, which was unique even among hybrids.

    I would be interested to see you reread One Piece and really pay close attention to every facial expression and sentiment and tell me how you feel afterward.

  3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  4. #123
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Country
    India
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    650
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    i will say friends i can understand that u dont like/hate one piece . dont get angry just stop reading its not like someone told u that u have to read one piece or they will kill u or something like that .

    if u dont enjoy any manga or manhwa just stop it and find something else there r lost of manga and manhwa available, star play video games , play indoor games or out door game or do something else but dont wast ur time and others buy saying bad words

  5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  6. #124
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member exacta's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    23
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,306
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    If it's just because of the art, then they haven't really given OP a chance. I can see why they would find the art unappealing, sometimes I hate the way Oda draws characters like Gecko Moria, but I don't hate his art. However, if they just hate OP or think it's overrated, well that's their opinion, and their entitled to it. They shouldn't be jerks about it though, and mock people who like One Piece, or go on discussions just to be like "ohmagerd One Piece is crap".

    However, I should point out that One Piece fanboys are definitely the most obnoxious......I really like One Piece, but it's not my #1 favorite. The reason why One Piece fanboys are the worst is because One Piece's sales stomp everything else in the top 10 selling manga combined every year. Plus I've read posts where some people refer to Oda as "Goda". But every series has its fanboys, One Piece just has the worst because it's way ahead of everything else in terms of sales.....it's a lot easier to brag about how your favorite series is "teh best evar" when it has that kind of lead on everything else.

  7. #125
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hoeru's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Country
    Mauritius
    Posts
    1,546
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Oh, come on. That's cheap, exacta. As if Bleach or Naruto fanboys would have never shown up, glorifying their story over One Piece. That was why terms like "Bleachhead" and "Narutard" came up in the first place and were for sure not invented by One Piece fans but manga fans in general. Saying One Piece has the worst fanboys is just lame as excuse for one's own bad behaviour.

  8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  9. #126
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Quote Originally Posted by exacta View Post
    However, I should point out that One Piece fanboys are definitely the most obnoxious......I really like One Piece, but it's not my #1 favorite. The reason why One Piece fanboys are the worst is because One Piece's sales stomp everything else in the top 10 selling manga combined every year. Plus I've read posts where some people refer to Oda as "Goda". But every series has its fanboys, One Piece just has the worst because it's way ahead of everything else in terms of sales.....it's a lot easier to brag about how your favorite series is "teh best evar" when it has that kind of lead on everything else.
    The fact that One Piece actually tops the charts gives it's fans something called "bragging rights" which is exclusive for whoever is at the top. This doesn't necessarily make it classy but people who don't find One Piece their favorite can't complain about One Piece being at the top just because they don't like it or wish their favorite was at the top instead. That's like complaining that gravity's holding you down . On the contrary, I've found One Piece fans the 2nd most reasonable and polite people to talk to (1st being Hunter X Hunter fans) and it's also largely due to the demography of the fan base. Most manga that are targeting younger audiences tend to have less mature fans while manga that target older audiences tend to have a more mature (but usually smaller) fan base.

  10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  11. #127
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,030
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Quote Originally Posted by exacta View Post
    However, I should point out that One Piece fanboys are definitely the most obnoxious......I really like One Piece, but it's not my #1 favorite. The reason why One Piece fanboys are the worst is because One Piece's sales stomp everything else in the top 10 selling manga combined every year. Plus I've read posts where some people refer to Oda as "Goda". But every series has its fanboys, One Piece just has the worst because it's way ahead of everything else in terms of sales.....it's a lot easier to brag about how your favorite series is "teh best evar" when it has that kind of lead on everything else.
    I've never seen someone arguing with that kind of reasoning. -_- I can imagine a little kid may use sales numbers for an argument, but an adult? Never. One Piece may have the most fans, no wonder with those sales number, but byyyyyyy far they aren't as bad as the Naruto ones. [I am just stating my experience from the last decade.]

    One could name: one of the best universe builders in the business, greatest variety in characters and showplaces, faceted plot, capable of combining and moving on with mutiple plot lines, give each arc character and use those arcs to reflect on real world problems. There are a lot of things where Oda shines so brilliantly, where it seems cowardly to blame the fandom for anything. Personally, it's not the best manga every created, for that it's far too long and has a couple to many weak points here and there, yet it shines greatly, capable of entertaining and captivating millions of fans every week.
    Last edited by Schabrak; March 26, 2013 at 06:16 AM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  12. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  13. #128
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Hm, I've rarely seen OP fans act as bad as you claim. Sure, I've seen few here get pretty bad, especially when talking about OP itself, and not in comparison to other manga, but apart from that I'd say OP fans here are much better than Naruto fans, who can get hostile whenever their favorites are being attacked (like Minato). I mean, I've seen less arguments in my month of posting here than I have in a week in Naruto section, or at least less hostile arguments.

    Plus, I'm sure OP fans are tired of same reasons being used to explain why OP sucks, like art. All in all, I won't deny that the art sucks, or did suck. But for One Piece itself, the art is for the most part perfect and suits the manga and its silliness. It's also pretty goofy, but Oda said he wanted the manga to be humorous.


    Based on my experience though, I can say Kait is a snobbish OP fan. (smiley indicates I'm joking, by the way)

  14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  15. #129
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member dacookester's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Country
    Ireland
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    80
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    I just simply say: "I respect your opinion, but you're wrong and I hate you."

  16. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #130
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    4,549
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    ive only met a few who claim they didnt like one piece, and upon investigation, they only watched a few episodes of the anime, or never tried it at all

    EVERYONE that i told about one piece, that has actually tried it

    has fallen in love with it. my mom is 60, and she even started reading the manga if that tells you any thing, she doesnt read any other manga

    some of my friends say " i just couldnt get in to it" but they only tried a few anime episodes, and to be honest, i could see how someone maybe didnt get to the arlong stuff, and maybe didnt see enough epic-ness

    i think the whole baratie stuff was good with sanji, then don krieg and hawk eye

    but the story doesnt really start picking up until arlong park in my opinion. but one piece is my favorite, i have seen several anime and read alot of manga

    one piece is currently #1 and is only rivaled by DBZ in the past

    ---------- Post added at 06:31 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:30 PM ----------

    Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Hm, I've rarely seen OP fans act as bad as you claim. Sure, I've seen few here get pretty bad, especially when talking about OP itself, and not in comparison to other manga, but apart from that I'd say OP fans here are much better than Naruto fans, who can get hostile whenever their favorites are being attacked (like Minato). I mean, I've seen less arguments in my month of posting here than I have in a week in Naruto section, or at least less hostile arguments.

    Plus, I'm sure OP fans are tired of same reasons being used to explain why OP sucks, like art. All in all, I won't deny that the art sucks, or did suck. But for One Piece itself, the art is for the most part perfect and suits the manga and its silliness. It's also pretty goofy, but Oda said he wanted the manga to be humorous.


    Based on my experience though, I can say Kait is a snobbish OP fan. (smiley indicates I'm joking, by the way)
    i havent noticed any snobbish one piece fans on here, i do feel like i am being ignored in the bleach forum though not saying they are snobs but i dont post there much because no one every replies to my posts

    i feel like the posters in the one piece forum are not like that at all , even when i was a noob you guys talked to me

  18. #131
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    32,999
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Bleach gets activity?

    But yeah, it depends on the people as well. this forum could have a nice OP fans but another forum could have rabid OP fans. It really depends on the location, and everything.

  19. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  20. #132
    Translator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Kyouria's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Planet Earth
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    196
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    As someone who ended up dropping the anime (One Piece)..

    It was really good. I liked the storyline and the characters but if I remember correctly, I think I dropped it because of its length. For me, Bleach was One Piece to me for a while at least.

  21. #133
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Quote Originally Posted by dacookester View Post
    I just simply say: "I respect your opinion, but you're wrong and I hate you."
    This along with mentioning that One Piece was the highest selling Manga last year and that they should at least try reading a few arcs before making an opinion.

  22. #134
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    ( ´_ゝ`) ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,030
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Being highest selling should never be an argument though. Looking at mainstream media and recognizing that absolute shit sells like hot cakes, sales numbers shouldn't be taken as a representative of quality.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

  23. #135
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Anduren's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    547
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: What do you say to people who hate One Piece?

    Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    i havent noticed any snobbish one piece fans on here, i do feel like i am being ignored in the bleach forum though not saying they are snobs but i dont post there much because no one every replies to my posts

    i feel like the posters in the one piece forum are not like that at all , even when i was a noob you guys talked to me
    Don't take this personally; it's not just you. This is just anecdotal evidence that I have kept track of from the different forum sections that I read through sometimes as a fan of some of the manga:

    - Naruto fans will tend to hunt you down like a pack of rabid wolves if you leave any comment against the Uchiha or Senju.
    - Bleach fans will tend to just ignore the posts you leave there.
    - Fairy Tail fans will probably respond to your post with a pervy comment.
    - One Piece fans will get you into a discussion about how genetics or the laws of thermodynamics affect devil fruits if you leave a post there.
    - Hunter X Hunter fans will just agree with everything you say if your post says how great the anime is right now.

    The demography of the fan bases for those manga seem to be like this:

    - Naruto: has some cultist inclinations.
    - Bleach: insider's club in a high school where if you're not already known/"accepted", you're ignored.
    - Hunter X Hunter: people who like thinking about the deep philosophical implications of putting a kid through hell.
    - One Piece: all of the above.
    -Fairy Tail: caters to those who crave eye candy.

    Disclaimer: The above statements I say more in the spirit of humor (though based on personal experience) so I hope humorless people aren't offended by it .

    But anyways, some manga feeds the addiction of people who just want to watch characters kill each other. Others feed the desires of those who like thinking about moral issues. You can't expect anybody to go gaga over something they're not interested in which is where personal tastes come in. But the reason One Piece's fan base is so big is because it has a little of everything except maybe the art form that's common in most other manga. (of proportions etc.)
    Last edited by Anduren; March 27, 2013 at 08:55 AM.

New Reply
Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts