Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Gantz Live Action Films Confirmed for 2011

Proofreaders 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member erik-the-red's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Gantz Live Action Films Confirmed for 2011

Quote Quote:
    The only comic book movie that followed the story was Watchmen.
    Spoiler show

I would add Sin City to the list of films that closely followed the comic book. I believe Rodriguez was quoted as saying that he intended his film to be a "translation" of the comic books, not an adaptation.

I can only hope that the live-action Gantz is also a "translation."

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    But Gantz is first and formost a manga. I've never heard of one manga being made into a succesful movie, can you?
    Succesful by what standards? Japanese or American?
    Japanese Movies mostly aim for the japanese market and american movies at a worldwide market.

Just because you haven't heard of a japanese movie being succesful means nothing because they may have been succesful in Japan but never had a big release outside of Japan and the other thing is that we westerners mostly like to watch movies with europeans in it and not with asians (cause they all look alike, you know?), well... unless it is a martial arts fim (like Ong Bak or the Bruce Lee movies).

Quote Quote:
    Comic Book + Hollywood = okay
    Manga + Japan = probably terrible
    good comic movies: Batman Begins and Dark Knight, Sin City, Watchmen
    okay comic movies: most (wolverine for example wasn't bad but deadpool sucked, Spidy 3 wasn't bad but emo venom sucked,...)
    sucked: every Hulk series, movies etc (well the one with norton was great), FF, Superman Returns...

good manga movies: Devilman (at least I liked it better then the manga), Casshern (weird movie but I loved it because of that)
    good manga series: Liar game (well, the last arc sucked but the rest was good), Kurosagi, GTO...
    okay manga movies: 20th Century Boy, Ichi the Killer, Death Note 1+2 (I didn't like them, but the majority did)
    sucked: Shamo, Crying Freeman, Alive, Fist Of The North Star, and a few more...

so:
    CB + Hollywood = good and bad
    Manga + Japan = good and bad
    (bad american manga movies= street fighter movies, Dragonball, and maybe nge when its coming out)

But as long as the story is true to the original and the acting is good and seems real I won't complain.
    (And as long as it is not as much trash as german movies... and the cgi is not as crappy as the one that was used for ryuuk in dn)

btw. what are you guys afraid of? That people who don't know gantz will think its trash? Does this really matter?
    If the movie is good? good
    If the movie is bad? Who cares? That won't change the fact that the manga is great and I don't think many people besides the mangafans will watch this movie outside of Japan...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kaliayev's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Flay View Post
    Ichi the Killer
    Ichi the Killer was the best adaptation, in terms of manga, on that list of yours. Epiphany: we need to start a petition to replace Shinsuke SATO with Takashi Miike. The latter's style is so absurd that he might just be able to create a satisfying adaptation of Gantz.
    Hello, Dave. Is that you, Dave?

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by souleater9492 View Post
    Movies = Good
    Comic Books = Good
    Comic Book Movies = Great
    Comic Book Movies with low budgets and crap actors = Bad
    Relatively obscure manga movie with a low budget and a J-Pop star as the lead actor = Very bad.

I don't very high hopes for this movie. Either two things will happen:
    The acting will totally suck but the action will more than make up for it or the Acting will suck and the action will suck as well.

The odds of this movies being both action packed AND well acted are slim. And I like Battle Royale a lot. It didn't follow the manga because it wasn't supposed to. The manga and movie both took on different interpretations on the original book.
    I lol'd
    First of all Ken'ichi Matsuyama is one of the best japanese Actors~

And you dont know if Kazunari Ninomiya does act good or bad.
    J-pop stars are fuckin expensive as actors~ so it wont be a low budget movie ha ha. The studio is also fucking great!

Dont forget, gackt is an Jpop musician and hes also an awesome actor!
    [He has a role in a hollywood film right now]

You dont know if Ninomiya Kazunari is a good or bad actor.
    He acted in a Hollywood film! A Clint Eastwood movie.
    so watch one of his films THEN say bad stuff about his acting!
    Last edited by igotthegoods; October 13, 2009 at 08:42 PM. Reason: flaming

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner odekam's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Phyrox View Post
    I lol'd

And you dont know if Kazunari Ninomiya does act good or bad.
    J-pop stars are fuckin expensive as actors~ so it wont be a low budget movie ha ha. The studio is also fucking great!
    Well, Phyrox is right. And they'll spend a LOT of money:

Quote Quote:
    Update 4: The project is budgeted at 4 billion yen (about US$45 million). Addressing the extremely violent nature of the movie, Ninomiya said, "I'm happy with just appearing in a work that I love so much! I'll try my very best to make everyone love it too!" Matsuyama said, "This work has so many original and bold points. I'm going to try to tackle the challenge of this new kind of movie."

Thank you to Diana Hy for this additional information.

Source: Zoom In!!

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news...ve-action-film

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Revilenigma's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kaliayev View Post
    Ichi the Killer was the best adaptation, in terms of manga, on that list of yours. Epiphany: we need to start a petition to replace Shinsuke SATO with Takashi Miike. The latter's style is so absurd that he might just be able to create a satisfying adaptation of Gantz.
    I'd rather see Gantz with realistic violence like oku tries to do. If you give it a tarantino style it might take away a lot of the horror and make the movie undesirably funny.
    http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss310/revilenigma/avatars%20and%20sigs/boxman.png

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kaliayev's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Revilenigma View Post
    I'd rather see Gantz with realistic violence like oku tries to do. If you give it a tarantino style it might take away a lot of the horror and make the movie undesirably funny.
    Right, like the scene where Kuwabara loses his penis.
    Hello, Dave. Is that you, Dave?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member teioh's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Maybe Phyrox and Flay are the only ones here who know what they are talking about.
    I red some many names in the staff that done a good job in manga-based movies like 20th Century Boys so don't be so arrogantly pedantic.
    There will be a Gantz Movie. No, TWO Gantz Movies! We must to be happy about this.

And the two main actors acted well in the movies where they played (and they are physically perfect for Kei and Katoh especially that wanker-face of Kazunari Ninomiya, in Letters from Iwojima he has the same personality ok Kurono at the beggining of the manga).

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Katastrophe's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by teioh View Post
    No, TWO Gantz Movies! We must to be happy about this.
    I am actually disappointed.

The fact that a movie(or "TWO Gantz Movies!") will be released in 2011 indicates that the chances of a new anime series/OVA series being released before it will be very low.

And if the movie is a failure,the chances a anime/OVA series release in the next years will be even lower,even if the movie somehow miraculously isn't a failure the chances will be low.

They may have more budget than District 9,but its just too hard not to mess up when making a live action movie of this proportion.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I read Gantz as soon as the announcement of the movie came up and came to like it a lot. It's not perfect and sometimes too overbearing with the fanservice but the overall idea is excellent. I can even overlook how sometimes the drawing gone a bit off in proportion or how lame the dialogues were.

I love that they made Kurono to be an older and hopefully, wiser young man. That on it's own will cut half the time needed to be spent on Kei getting horny or having teenage angst.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

^
    Katastrophe should do a better job of that than age and wisdom.

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

^ What are you talking about? Katastrophe will be even better WITH age and wisdom.

With them changing the age I expect a lot of changes in the storyline including the absence of some of the favorite characters. From my sources it is confirmed Tae will be in the film but no word who'll be paying her yet.
    Last edited by aneon; December 23, 2009 at 07:36 AM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by aneon View Post
    ^ What are you talking about? Katastrophe will be even better WITH age and wisdom.

With them changing the age I expect a lot of changes in the storyline including the absence of some of the favorite characters. From my sources it is confirmed Tae will be in the film but no word who'll be paying her yet.
    Nah what I was trying to say was that the end of the world would be more affective than age and wisdom in getting Kei to stop having sex with things.

"cut half the time needed to be spent on Kei getting horny or having teenage angst." ~ aneon
    Last edited by Damura; December 24, 2009 at 03:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Japan
    Post Thanks / Like

The wanking and classroom scenes are unnecessary imo, that was the crude meaning about cutting away the parts with "Kei getting horny and having teenage angst"

A new update on the movie. According to Nippon Cinema on their twitter, this is how Katou going to look like:
    Spoiler show

So what do you guys think?
    source: http://twitter.com/NipponCinema

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member A_N_G_E_L's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

^ Doesn't even look remotely like Katou! Katou's mouth is different and he has more chin, I hope the actor doesn't keep his 5 o’clock shadow when he plays Katou. And I hope he is tall...
    Also the guy that is going to play Kurono doesn't look like Kurono, I wonder how all the other characters are going to look like...
    When the main characters are badly chosen the whole movie is going to suck! I'm sure the movies are much worse than the anime.XP

New Reply
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast