Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 595 (2) , Gintama 509 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: Who is stronger

Voters
215. You may not vote on this poll
  • Mihawk

    46 21.40%
  • Shanks

    169 78.60%
New Reply
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 455

Thread: Shanks vs Mihawk

  1. #1
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Berlin
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,332
    Post Thanks / Like

    Shanks vs Mihawk

    Juracule "Hawk-Eyes" Mihawk versus Red-Haired Shanks

    This is surely a old topic, which have been popping up in every other discussions. So I thought about creating a own thread, since I believe it deserves one.

    I personally think that Mwk is stronger. Since both are swordsman, while Mihawk is called the strongest, hence logically Mihawk is stronger.

    I will leave my post on that and would like to hear the opinion of other.

  2. #2
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    36
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    ok, first and foremost i'm gonna say that the stronger "swordsman"/"one who's more skilled with the blade" is Hawkeyes Mihawk.

    Now as far as who'd win in an all out fight? I'm on the fence about that one.

    Before anyone comes in the trite and overdone "dur, shanks is yonkou! that makes him most powrfull!" I will cut your thin logic like paper. Shanks and the other yonkou are the strongest pirates in the new world for these reasons:

    1. They are powerfull fighters themselves. Look at Whitebeard, nuff said.

    2. They command the alligience and respect of other pirate factions of thier territory. A HUGE FACTOR, who could really see whitebeard fighting this war without the aid of the new world captains. Remember Whitebeard called Fishman Island his territory, in any kind of criminal faction (and yes he is a criminal, no matter how altruistic) drama territory is a measure of the power of the faction, i'm 100% sure that all the yonkou control a portion of the new world. in fact wasn't it in garps description (i'll leave that up to my detractors to disprove)

    From what we can tell, Mihawk has no crew at the moment. I wouldn't be suprised if it was revealed that he never had a crew, and was merely a bad ass demon of a man who sought out the baddest sword wielding mofo's he could find. (having a crew doesn't seem to fit his personality, but then again niether would Basil Hawkins, X Drake, or anyone of a similar disposition)

    Now its shown that Shanks has been holding a sword since he was on Rogers ship, and gained enough renown as a crewmember for Whitebeard to take notice and remember so I would believe he has some kind of prodigous skill, enough to beat mihawk years ago? I think no, the idea of them fighting all the time implies that they never quite resolved that. The meeting after Luffy got his bounty implies that Mihawk sought out Shanks, not the other way around (and that where the important fact lies)

    once agian thanks for reading

  3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  4. #3
    Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Constantinopolis
    Country
    Turkey
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    i believe shanks is stronger,tho i dont really see a huge difference.shanks being a yonkou is really something,its not really a thin logic but they have always been rivals,so their powers must be on equal grounds.
    i also want to say this, like how shanks being the yonkou doesnt make him automaticly stronger,mihawk being the strongest swordsman doesnt also make him stronger.because like @madmotoristmonk said, stronger swordsman simply means the one with more skills on the sword but shanks also uses haki on the level of WB.he is not just a swordsman,maybe he doesnt even know any special moves with the sword but he has other skills to support him.
    think this way, if there were a strongest boxer,would it mean he is stronger than luffy,just because he also uses punches?ofcourse not,luffy uses punches but thats not all he's capable of

  5. #4
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    SHITE! I misclicked and voted for Mihawk. Should be -1/+1.

    Best swordsman doesn't mean you can beat anyone else who uses a sword; there's more to a fight than swordsmanship. We have never seen Mihawk use haki and Shanks damaged Whitebeard's ship with it (a physical object) practically by accident. His swordfight split the sky. When Mihawk cheered up a gloomy Shanks with Luffy's wanted poster, the sky brightened up with him. Shanks has some serious god-mode.

    If haki is the only way to hurt a logia than Mihawk presumably uses it as well, but we have no reason to suspect he's on the same level as Shanks in that department whereas we do know that they are nearly equal in swordsmanship.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

  6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  7. #5
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Fox666's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    Brazil
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,081
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    For all I know Shanks is a swordman, so I suppose that Mihawk title beats him.

    Whitebeard power is based on Devil Fruit, that clash he had with Shanks means nothing. For all I can say, I am pretty sure Mihawk can split these clouds in the sky too.
    Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    TOBI IS OBITO

    did you say something about timelines?! naruto ate it NOM NOM NOM IT'S GONE.

  8. #6
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Hand Banana's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Country
    Antarctica
    Posts
    466
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    I'm sure it'll be a flat out tie. Mihawk is skilled with the sword. Shanks may have some sword experience behind him as well. But I think he uses his Haki behind his attacks which amplifies his strength. Making him on par with Mihawk.

  9. #7
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    Quote Originally Posted by Ilovefoxes View Post
    For all I know Shanks is a swordman, so I suppose that Mihawk title beats him.

    Whitebeard power is based on Devil Fruit, that clash he had with Shanks means nothing. For all I can say, I am pretty sure Mihawk can split these clouds in the sky too.
    And you think things break just from being near Mihawk?

    Mihawk's title is "World's Greatest Swordsman" not "Guy who can kill anyone who uses a sword." If Whitebeard picked up a sword does that give Mihawk the sudden ability to kill him? We have several depictions of Shanks using haki and none of Mihawk.

    What if Shanks doesn't even call himself a swordsman? Shanks is a pirate in it for a good time, Mihawk is the one whose nuts about swords. Is Brook a swordsman or a musician? Was Spandam a swordsman? Is Law? Hawkins? Like all of those characters, Shanks has more cards up his sleeve than just a sword. We've yet to see Mihawk have anything else.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

  10. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
  11. #8
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    Netherlands
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    as far we know shanks is a swordsman.
    mihawk is strongest swordsman in the world, thus he beats shanks.

  12. #9
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member BlackHair's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Berlin
    Country
    Sri Lanka
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,332
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMNixon View Post
    Mihawk's title is "World's Greatest Swordsman" not "Guy who can kill anyone who uses a sword." If Whitebeard picked up a sword does that give Mihawk the sudden ability to kill him?
    Mwk's title says that he can beat any swordsman. Since WB is obviously not a swordsman, he is not included in a sword fight.

    You are NOT a swordsman if u pick up a sword. Nightmare Luffy was able to wield a sword, but can't he be considered as a swordsman. Same with WB.

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMNixon View Post
    Shanks has more cards up his sleeve than just a sword.
    What exactly is ur basics for that statement? I assume haki isn't the only thing you are basing this.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotten The Wizard View Post
    wtf? Mihawkk is yonkou level now? LOL
    Yonko/Admiral lvl = last tier lvl.

    We all know the monster trio will reach at the end of OP (or even before) the last tier level. Oda is building Mwk as Zoro's last goal for now about 10 years. Using some brain it is 's not so hard to understand that Mwk is at high tier level as well.

    Anyway, here a bit better explained post.

    Honestly are you expecting Shanks to rape Mwk in 3 seconds or sth?

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotten The Wizard View Post
    I'll have you all know It takes 7 shichibukai to match the power of 3 admirals in order to BALANCE out the Greatest Pirate force which is the 4 yonkou. so Mihawk being a shichibukai he has no business being "near" yonkou level or "at yonkou level" cause that would insinuate Mihawk Can overwhelm atleast 1 admiral..which doesnt make sense
    What kind of understanding of the three great power is that? We know Garp mentioned the MHQ and not only the Admirals. In the current arc, are the Admirals the only one fighting from the MHQ forces?

    Also that power balance wasn't accuracy from the beginning, I mean Dragon isn't mentioned. Also its not like the WG does power measurement. Also the MHQ has to face EVERY pirate on sea. It's not like the yonko are the only ones, but they are the most powerful ones.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotten The Wizard View Post
    Dont bring their crews into this discussion cause when the yonkou are talking about in the manga no one mentions their crew, they only speak of the power of the individual.
    Yes they are addresses as in individual, since they are the leaders of the their organisation. But they were referred as a crew for obvious reasons. We have here several character mentioning WB: Garp (P4), Iva (P2), Drake Pirates (P5) Garp (P9) again and some more. All these characters are referring to WB. However did he appear all alone? No of course not.

    Going back to Garp's explanation: "They rule the latter half of the grand line as kings would do" How reign Kings: all alone or with subordinates? Go ask ur history teacher.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotten The Wizard View Post
    let me put it this way. Take away all the fodder marines and pirate crews and Square off the 4 yonkou and the Marines 10 great powers (7 shichi+3 admirals if you didnt get there yourself) Then you would have an evenly matched fight.
    Nonsense! Roger was WB's equal. We heard that Garp fought Roger on equal grounds. That alone puts Garp on WB's equal grounds. Your math is good for nothing. I can't even believe that u didn't even mentioned Sengoku or Garp in ur calculation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotten The Wizard View Post
    Like a great man once said, the simplest explanation is the best.
    Mihawk is a Shichibukai and luffy has taken down several of those/people on that level.
    That great man must be reading sth else. There is no such thing as "Schibukai level" for obvious reasons. They vary in battle power as individual from middle class to high tier class. Moria clearly on middle class, while Mwk obviously on high tier class.

    Quote Originally Posted by Rotten The Wizard View Post
    If they fight it wont be a masacre. Mihawk will have to sweat for his kill
    I agree with that. The SHs are getting stronger at high pace. I believe if Luffy manages to learn haki he would give every monster trouble.

    But Mwk CAN'T fall. The one who will beat him is Zoro and only him. With that Im not saying Zoro is the only one, but he is the one who will do it. This is foreshadowed by Oda for about 10 years.

    Quote Originally Posted by Black Lagoon View Post
    @ Rotten The Wizard - I totally agree,
    when Mihawk said : I have given up fighting the one arm man liked you for a long time.
    from my point of view, I would say that when "Mihawk" was trying to defeat Shanks he always failed, this is how I interpret that "I have given up".
    You are only focusing on "giving up", thus ignoring the rest. What we know so far:
    • Mihawk and Shanks were equals and rivals fighting for the top. (Red Datebook)
    • Shanks spent one year in east blue and lost a arm.
    Now rereading that sentence: "I have given up fighting the one arm man liked you for a long time" it sound to me, that Mihawk lost interest in fighting Shanks since he lost a arm. They were rivals and fighting for the top. Suddenly Shanks disappears for a year in one of the weakest seas and comes back with only one arm. So I guess Mwk lost interest in Shanks, since he didn't considered him his equal anymore. That's at least how I see it.

    Now 10 years later, Shanks is a boss of a mighty crew and Mwk the strongest swordsman. In a 1vs1 fight Mwk is stronger, but if Red-Hair pirates vs Hawk Eye, then Mwk will be raped.

    Just to make sure: Im considering Mwk stronger than Shanks. But Im not saying this will be a rape. Both are without doubt on equal grounds. If we consider a death match between those two, then Mwk will kill Shanks. However he will lose two arms and other body while accomplishing that.

    PS: I took the freedom to answer on posts which are from a another thread. I was avoiding going off topic.


  13. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
  14. #10
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    Quote Originally Posted by blackhair View Post
    Mwk's title says that he can beat any swordsman. Since WB is obviously not a swordsman, he is not included in a sword fight.

    You are NOT a swordsman if u pick up a sword. Nightmare Luffy was able to wield a sword, but can't he be considered as a swordsman. Same with WB.

    What exactly is ur basics for that statement? I assume haki isn't the only thing you are basing this.
    It does not say he can beat any swordsman, it says he's the best swordsman. Let's say you and I are in a sword fight. You're slightly better than I am, and I have super powers. Who is going to win? For Shanks to beat him, it would take more than just swordsmanship. Shanks has displayed some of the most incredible haki thus far and destroyed an entire marine fleet Whitebeard style. http://www.onemanga.com/One_Piece/434/02/.

    Mihawk destroyed Krieg's weakling fleet and has yet to display any haki or any ability other than swordsmanship.

    Shanks has extreme haki and swordsmanship almost equal to Mihawks.
    Mihawk, as far as we know, has only swordsmanship. Mihawk probably does have haki, but to presume that his is as strong as Shanks' is mighty presumptuous indeed.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

  15. #11
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Country
    Croatia
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    7,140
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    There's really no way to tell which of them is stronger. Sure, Mihawk is called the strongest for a reason. Maybe he even defeated Shanks is their last duel. I don't think they would just call him the strongest after seeing that Shanks lost an arm.

    Mihawk doesn't want to duel with Shanks because he believes he has an advantage over him. I can't blame him. His victory over one-armed man would always leave doubt in his mind.

    Personally, U think Shanks is stronger and better swordsman now, then he ever was before. I don't know if he could beat Mihawk, but I think it would be pretty close for each of them.

    Also, the titles of Yonkou and Strongest Swordsman mean nothing in this discussion, since the two haven't had a duel for a long time, for reasons known.

    I'd love to see their battle though.
    This ain't bad for now-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHoSUrpyMbc

    Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!


    (thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

  16. #12
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member RichardMNixon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    893
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    Consider Luffy and Zoro though. Is the majority opinion that they are equal in power? So what happens when Luffy becomes Pirate King? Would Zoro be co-Pirate King? No, because that isn't his goal. If Shanks and Mihawk were equal, Mihawk might still be called World's Greatest Swordsman because that's what he's on about whereas Shanks has different goals.

    And again, "World's Greatest Swordsman" is not the same as "Guy Who Can Kill Any Other Swordsman." He just has the best swordsmanship. Shanks and Mihawk were likely not dueling for the kill, but more of a fencing match. Mihawk being better at fencing doesn't mean he would beat Shanks in a real fight.
    The Grain Pirates. Scourge of Spelt, Corsairs of Corn, Rogues of Rye, Buccaneers of Barley, the Freebooters of the Farmland.
    What reason is there to stop a man from sailing?

  17. #13
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    Netherlands
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    Quote Originally Posted by RichardMNixon View Post
    Consider Luffy and Zoro though. Is the majority opinion that they are equal in power? So what happens when Luffy becomes Pirate King? Would Zoro be co-Pirate King? No, because that isn't his goal. If Shanks and Mihawk were equal, Mihawk might still be called World's Greatest Swordsman because that's what he's on about whereas Shanks has different goals.

    And again, "World's Greatest Swordsman" is not the same as "Guy Who Can Kill Any Other Swordsman." He just has the best swordsmanship. Shanks and Mihawk were likely not dueling for the kill, but more of a fencing match. Mihawk being better at fencing doesn't mean he would beat Shanks in a real fight.
    if shanks had different goals then they wouldnt be called rivals. face it , mihawk would KILL shanks in 1:1.

  18. #14
    Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Constantinopolis
    Country
    Turkey
    Age
    28
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,247
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    Quote Originally Posted by DutchPhoenix View Post
    if shanks had different goals then they wouldnt be called rivals. face it , mihawk would KILL shanks in 1:1.
    lol they have fought many times before but non of them is dead ,face it,you're making it up :P

  19. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
  20. #15
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Country
    Netherlands
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    617
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Shanks vs Mihawk

    well shanks lost a arm and mihawk is the strongest now. so if they would fight to the death currently, i hope shanks crew can arrange a nice funeral

New Reply
Page 1 of 31 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts