Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)

Thread: Share your theories about what's "Wrong" with Amestris' alchemy

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Absolutio's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Share your theories about what's "Wrong" with Amestris' alchemy

As glasskatana advised me, I'm openning here this thread. :P

So as we all know, there's something unusual about Amestris' (Ed and Al's nation) alchemy, unlike the alchemy of the Xing country (and scar's too of course).
    Scar's brother found it out and probably said something about it in his notebooks, and the Homunculi father and envy started to talk about it too when Father stopped all alchemy for a while.

So anyone has any theory or idea what this something wrong can be?

Luffy: Sanji, prepare the lunch-box!
    Sanji: Lunch-box?
    Luffy: Yes. A pirate's lunch-box!
    *Pirate's lunch-box is for increasing one's power, so there will be no vegetables.
    -One Piece Side-Stories Covers Coloring Project! OP Colorist? Check it out now!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member glasskatana's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: the "Share your theoris about what's "Wrong" with Amestris' alchemy" thread

My personal theory is that Amestris' alchemy is running off of the souls of the dead or something, where as Xing alchemy uses the ever flowing power of the earth.

I really have no idea though.

Good idea for a thread by the way.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Absolutio's Avatar
    Country
    Israel
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glasskatana
    My personal theory is that Amestris' alchemy is running off of the souls of the dead or something, where as Xing alchemy uses the ever flowing power of the earth.

Good idea for a thread by the way.
    Yea i thought something like that too.

(Warning: Anime spoiler)

In the anime they say that the energy for alchemy comes from the dead of the ppl from the other side of the gate.
    Maybe the father, who was some kind of a gate inside him? just stopped this flow of energy and closed the gate for a period of time, and since the xing's alchemy is like, i dunno, uses the alchemy world's energy, it wasnt affected?

I really want to know already about scar brother's notebook :P

Luffy: Sanji, prepare the lunch-box!
    Sanji: Lunch-box?
    Luffy: Yes. A pirate's lunch-box!
    *Pirate's lunch-box is for increasing one's power, so there will be no vegetables.
    -One Piece Side-Stories Covers Coloring Project! OP Colorist? Check it out now!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity mugen's Avatar
    Country
    Mexico
    Post Thanks / Like

well I believe that perhaps it's just that Armesrtis' alchemy may just have not been completed or that it can only work if father desires so....
    meaning he must have been the one who taught it....
    and we know that if Father did teach, it can't be good
    click to join mangahelpers facebook group

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner riice's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by glasskatana View Post

I agree. Though I don't think it's the souls of the dead..just souls. Like the souls of the people of Xerxes or something. They never died, their souls were just ripped out and converted to energy or something =\

Maybe like.. since Father's body's storing the souls of half the population of Xerxes (which has to be in the millions, right?), the machine he's connected to kind of..channels the souls into the underground..so they're used as a power source for alchemy?
    Just a theory. I dunno. -_-

Quote Quote:
    In the anime they say that the energy for alchemy comes from the dead of the ppl from the other side of the gate.
    Yeah, but that's the anime. In the manga, the only souls in the gate are those of people who are still alive - that's why Ed was able to pull Al's soul out of the gate, but not their mother's. And why Izumi failed to pull her son's soul out. It was never there in the first place. Like Al said, when he reached his hand out inside the gate - "It was me! Mom wasn't there at all!"

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member badluckartist's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Good idea for a thread. I absolutely doubt that Arakawa would recycle an idea used in the anime for her manga. She's went pretty damn far out of her way so far to keep from paralleling it, why would she start now? I do have to admit though, Father temporarily closing the gate and kinking up the flow of energy from "the other side" would be the easiest way of explaining everything...

Badluckartist's theory on Amestrian Alchemy! Behold!!

We can look at alchemy this way- Xingese alchemy is pure in nature. It uses the earth's energy for it's power, and seems to be the antithesis to Amestrian alchemy. "There's something wrong with this country", is a phrase that has been said more than once, and I think it pertains to Amestrian alchemy's darker nature. It probably has to do with manipulation of life and death's energies on a much smaller scale than what is required to create a philosopher's stone.

Perhaps the processes of life and death create an ambient, permeable atmosphere of invisible energy that is harnessed for normal transmutations using the alchemist's own body (as well as the circle, and the knowledge of transmutation itself) as catalysts for the transmutation. This would also be a throwback to what Ling said about how it looks almost like Ed is praying to God when he transmutes by putting his hands together (in this case, praying to all of life and death).

I'd say manipulating life and death would qualify as "something wrong with this country", although that could be a reference to Father's devious plans for the country. As to how Father cut off Amestrian alchemy within that colossal radius, it's possible that he dispersed all the ambient particles of energy (those created from life/death), used them up all at once, or simply pushed them all away from his location. He payed no mind to the earth's energies (or couldn't do anything about them {or even didn't know that Xingese alchemy exists/ how it works}), thus Xingese alchemy remained perfectly usable.

This could also explain why the Xing people have never made a philosopher's stone- if they were to apply the same principle as Father does to the creation of his, the entire earth might just die out.

Phew. Yes, I just made that up off the top of my head. Spur of the moment genius, I know. Keep the applause going, it pleases me.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Absolutio View Post
    Yea i thought something like that too.

(Warning: Anime spoiler)

Maybe the father, who was some kind of a gate inside him? just stopped this flow of energy and closed the gate for a period of time, and since the xing's alchemy is like, i dunno, uses the alchemy world's energy, it wasnt affected?

I really want to know already about scar brother's notebook :P

the manga's alchemy is very different to the anime's!!!!:

In the anime alchemy uses our world's souls as energy for the transmutations

As marcoh explained, manga's alchemy(Amestrian alchemy) uses the energy from earth (I'm from argentina so I don't know how to explain it in english), alchemists use the power of lava and all that stuff going on beneath the ground. This is very different to the Anime's "life energy" theory,i think it's better cause it's more scientific.

I belive father used his alchemy to stop all that lava stuff (again, i'm sorry i don't know how to explain it in english) beneath Central city, so alchemy wouldn't work but rentanjutsu, xing's alchemy, uses another kind of energy.

The next is just a crazy theory: I think rentanjutsu uses energy from whats going on "above" the ground: rivers and seas, plants and animals, wind, even humans..
    Last edited by Gudby-Blsk; October 04, 2008 at 07:02 PM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont think ametris alchemy really uses the energy of earth to work. I think that they all use fathers energy for it, thats why he was able to stop all alchemy at once in ametris, by simply cutting of the power supply. This would consume his own power, but on the other hand he would always have control of ametris.
    The main problem with my theory is that father would have beyond stupid amounts of energy considering he has ben sustaining alchemy in ametris for god knows how long. On the other hand, he could have that much power considering he used half a civilization to create his philosofer stone body.

Country
    Argentina
    Post Thanks / Like
    Marcoh clearly said there's a formula (brought to Amestris by Father or Van Hohenheim, probably father) used to take energy from earth and use it for alchemy...Alchemists are scientists, if that formula is a lie and actually uses Father's energy, they'd have realized, it's not like you draw a circle and that means what you want, every alchemic simbol has a meaning that the alchemist need to understand

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member adbanginwar's Avatar
    Country
    India
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Share your theories about what's "Wrong" with Amestris' alchemy

It was said that a man who had golden hair taught alchemy to both nations. What i think is, Father somehow learnt about Xing's alchemy to the last bit.he then changes this energy into some other form which amestry's alchemist uses. I think that is why father is attached to that huge machine. This machine must help father to convert the energy and send it across whole country. Now when father, wants he can stop that energy and inturn make ametry's alchemist useless. This theory explains the huge machine, father getting attached to that machine, weird alchemy of amestry and alchemist not able to use alchemy when father wants.

This theory is too farfetched but this is what i think.

MH's Socialworker 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member eni's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds basically plausible but Father was surprised as well about Mei and Scar using alchemy when Amestris' alchemists couldn't. IMHO, if he had taught alchemy to Xing, he would have known that he can't block it the same way due to it's different basics.

♥ Sorry, I'm Late. But I Got Lost On The Road Of Life. ♥

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

As far as the golden haired sages go. I figured Van Hohenheim taught Alchemy to Xing in one of his flashbacks we even see him being saved by Xing people. This also explains why he didn't really have a background in Amestris till about 100 years ago, he hadn't gone there yet. Being he had no real interest in manipulating an entire country or even a few people for his own ends, he taught Xing everything. Which is why Alkahestry doesn't give researchers of both types a bad vibe.

Homunculus taught Alchemy in Amestris, this explains why there are golden haired sages in both countries history. Homunculus literally copied Hohenheim's form so Amestris did have a golden sage as well, albeit it was a far more sinister man, as teaching alchemy was for his own ends. He adjusted the teachings and how alchemists do things so it'd serve him better. It's like the teacher/sensei in Jade Empire, molding an almost imperceptible flaw into his subjects that only he could exploit when he needed to.

That's my take on it at least. What exactly did Homunculus do to warp Alchemy in Amestris is still unknown, but at least there's the general theory as to how things got there.
    Last edited by esdawg; September 13, 2009 at 02:30 PM.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Xing seems to have healing oriented alchemy while ametris has war oriented alchemy. Probably hoemhiem created(or it would be more likely to say influenced) xing to be some sort of ametris opposite.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ca12nag3's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

What about the human transmutations? Both Ed and Izumi investigated it and found out it was not even related to them whatever they transmuted. So something went into the equasion that they are unaware off.

Another thing so the Transmutation circle needs 5 sacrifices.

-Eduardo Elric
    -Alphonse Elric
    -Van Hohenheim
    -Izumi Curtis
    -(Roy Mustang)

Sure they all are strong alchemists but isnt that just a sidemark Major Armstrong and several others are just as strong or perhaps stronger then Ed or Al or even Roy Mustang, particulary Mustang isnt that strong his main weakness is rain lol.
    It might be not their abilities as alchemists hes after but their determination their drive to reach their goal. Someone who dares to try the impossible and survive.
    So he might be after their human soul. Perhaps thats the power he needs to get his Transmutation working.
    Last edited by ca12nag3; September 30, 2009 at 03:41 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Mushashi's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

it is said that xing is the dragon veins in the earth, the power of the amsteris alchemy is changing the forms of atoms around (equivelent exchange) perhaps when father stopped all alchemy from being used he did something that was preventing atoms from changing the forms, Xing there could still use there alchemy because they are not just changing the forms but getting the power from the 'dragon' in the earths crust.

just a theory though