Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: The calmness of your heart

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Forever_Melody's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: TOC has arrived........

Quote Originally Posted by thornofcarrion View Post
    You got that right, you doing Jazz dance, that I like to see .
    Thanks Maybe sometime I'll post a video or something. These days though I'm mostly organizing shows for younger people rather than doing any myself, but dance festival is coming up after Winter sooooo

Terrain?

I am bit old-timer, like to serve and volley. When you serve and follow it up with a good volley, its really satisfying. Strength, I think my volley and overhead was decent. Weakness, backhand from the baseline. By the way, I am not playing Tennis anymore, only on my Xbox , life has gone hectic and busy.
    Ah serve and volley, you must have a good serve for that to be effective I suppose My brother rarely plays volley(compared to my dad) since he normally does a strong corner shot before going up to the net(so that the opponent can only return an easy ball that he can "kill" . problem is that most of the time people don't even hit back that shot so he doesn't get to play net often

You a two-handed or one-handed backhand player btw? If you're a volley player I'm going to assume you're one-handed though right?

I'm also going to assume your favored terrain to be grass if you're a serve-and-volley type of player We mostly have hard court terrains here(since everything else basically FREEZES during winter ), but once I went to a club with my brother and my cousin and they had some kind of imitation clay which was really odd(and really dirtying ).

I know what you mean btw, I haven't really had time to do many of my sports since high school(namely dance, gymnastics and volleyball). I recently managed to get dance back into my life through my job(I'm an assistant teacher) and I still go to gymnastics practice once a week, but volleyball is a no-go since high school >.<. Maybe now that I have free time I can go again though I hope you'll manage to find time for tennis too! ^_^ It's a great feeling to be able to do something you like(even if you're not always good at it *cough* me and hockey *cough*)

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Check it out now. And what do you feel about Yu Yu Hakusho?

Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Melody View Post
    Thanks Maybe sometime I'll post a video or something. These days though I'm mostly organizing shows for younger people rather than doing any myself, but dance festival is coming up after Winter sooooo
    *sigh*

Quote Quote:
    Ah serve and volley, you must have a good serve for that to be effective I suppose My brother rarely plays volley(compared to my dad) since he normally does a strong corner shot before going up to the net(so that the opponent can only return an easy ball that he can "kill" . problem is that most of the time people don't even hit back that shot so he doesn't get to play net often
    My serve is decent. Usually, my second serve is more useful, since it kicks up, and gives me a weak return. Off course, its only club level play, I am not afraid to be smacked back with my second serve. To rush to the net, ones need to have a good Approach Shot, otherwise it will fire back. So your brother has a good cross-court shot or did you mean the one down the line? My favorite shot from the base-line is down the line shot.

Quote Quote:
    You a two-handed or one-handed backhand player btw? If you're a volley player I'm going to assume you're one-handed though right?
    On the contrary I am double-handed backhand player. It gives you more control. Initially, I had trouble volleying, since I used both hands for volley. But with little patience, I was able to use one hand whilst volleying. Your reach reduces so much with double hand-volley. By the way, few weeks back when I was about to leave Tennis, I started to use one-handed back hand. The feel was so much better but it was hard to control the ball. Double-handed backhand gives you so much more agility.

Quote Quote:
    I'm also going to assume your favored terrain to be grass if you're a serve-and-volley type of player We mostly have hard court terrains here(since everything else basically FREEZES during winter ), but once I went to a club with my brother and my cousin and they had some kind of imitation clay which was really odd(and really dirtying ).
    Oh you mean the surface, I was confused. I though by terrain you meant landscape lol, I feel stupid. Hmmm in a way I like grass courts, but I prefer hard courts even more. The bounce is more consistent. I played on grass for few months, no doubt its the best surface for the serve and volley game-play. But I was thrown off many times by the uneven occasional bounce.

Quote Quote:
    I know what you mean btw, I haven't really had time to do many of my sports since high school(namely dance, gymnastics and volleyball). I recently managed to get dance back into my life through my job(I'm an assistant teacher) and I still go to gymnastics practice once a week, but volleyball is a no-go since high school >.<. Maybe now that I have free time I can go again though I hope you'll manage to find time for tennis too! ^_^ It's a great feeling to be able to do something you like(even if you're not always good at it *cough* me and hockey *cough*)
    Assistant Teacher, thats great, and gymnastics wow. It really itches when I see Tennis on the TV. I want it to play so bad....sadly it seems not possible for the time being. Work, life, and MH takes most of my time.

Quote Originally Posted by M3J View Post
    Ok man, going to read it today, when I get time. I shall post my thoughts when I am done reading few chapters. usually, I read at least few chapters before dropping any manga, same is with anime series.
    Last edited by thornofcarrion; October 21, 2009 at 03:16 AM.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Did I also recommend Change 123 to you? If not, then I r 2 recomend nao. It's similar to Sekirei, but funnier. :O Kk, hurry up, I wanna see what you think?
    And you read or watch Yu Yu Hakusho?

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Forever_Melody's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

*sigh*
    Don't sigh! It's bad for your health!

My serve is decent. Usually, my second serve is more useful, since it kicks up, and gives me a weak return. Off course, its only club level play, I am not afraid to be smacked back with my second serve. To rush to the net, ones need to have a good Approach Shot, otherwise it will fire back. So your brother has a good cross-court shot or did you mean the one down the line? My favorite shot from the base-line is down the line shot.
    Ah okies. Your serve is ummm, what is it called again... a "kick serve"?

Also, what's "club level" play exactly? We don't really have tennis clubs except at Universities here(since basically most of the year you can't play so they need to have facilities) so I'm not familiar with the level.

And my brother has a good cross court shot. His cross angle is really really low as in, it usually hits the singles line about 2m from the net and keeps going so it's an outside going shot.

On the contrary I am double-handed backhand player. It gives you more control. Initially, I had trouble volleying, since I used both hands for volley. But with little patience, I was able to use one hand whilst volleying. Your reach reduces so much with double hand-volley. By the way, few weeks back when I was about to leave Tennis, I started to use one-handed back hand. The feel was so much better but it was hard to control the ball. Double-handed backhand gives you so much more agility.
    Well from what I've been told double-handed is easier to perform because you can catch yourself if your timing is off. For single-handed, you can't do that; if you miss, you miss. I've been told that volley players tend to favor single-handed since the added range as well as the greater offensive force tend to be advantages they look for both in baseline play and net play.

This is all my daddy's talking mind you lol

Oh you mean the surface, I was confused. I though by terrain you meant landscape lol, I feel stupid. Hmmm in a way I like grass courts, but I prefer hard courts even more. The bounce is more consistent. I played on grass for few months, no doubt its the best surface for the serve and volley game-play. But I was thrown off many times by the uneven occasional bounce.
    Well hard courts are "standard" for most places I believe. The other types of court are more work to maintain. I've only played on hard court and some clay like imitation as I've said so I don't really have experience with different courts. Clay is nicer when you fall on your butt though

Assistant Teacher, thats great, and gymnastics wow. It really itches when I see Tennis on the TV. I want it to play so bad....sadly it seems not possible for the time being. Work, life, and MH takes most of my time.
    Ah yes, good old time constraints. I know the feeling. I mean, I'm juggling 2 sports, but not nearly as much as I'd like(1h per week of gymnastics really isn't much but I can't seem to squeeze more )

I can't believe I've actually been talking about sports for this long haha

Moderator message by: Blai
    It's not liek I'm saying that you need the exercise... uhm... erm... *cough*
    Last edited by blai; October 22, 2009 at 11:51 AM.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hi toc! I'm curious, what is your sig and avatar from?

Little tocs-Coming Soon 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member thornofcarrion's Avatar
    Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Forever_Melody View Post
    Don't sigh! It's bad for your health!

Quote Quote:
    Ah okies. Your serve is ummm, what is it called again... a "kick serve"?
    A kick serve is basically what players use as a second serve. It has more top spin and the speed is reduced. The science behind the second serve is, by reducing the speed the probability of ball to land within the service box increases. The added spin kicks the ball up, thus making hard for the returner to go for a winner right away. The more the top spin, the greater it will kick (rise). Just imagine, the ball kicking to above your shoulder height, it is so difficult to generate speed from that height.

Mine serve is no way near, but for a minor level it isn't so bad. And I do go far flat serve for the first one, it always have a lesser probability to be a valid serve.

Quote Quote:
    Also, what's "club level" play exactly? We don't really have tennis clubs except at Universities here(since basically most of the year you can't play so they need to have facilities) so I'm not familiar with the level.
    Ummm club level is just a term, its not a genuine term. Club level simply means, a level below (far) professional or even juniors.

Quote Quote:
    Well from what I've been told double-handed is easier to perform because you can catch yourself if your timing is off. For single-handed, you can't do that; if you miss, you miss. I've been told that volley players tend to favor single-handed since the added range as well as the greater offensive force tend to be advantages they look for both in baseline play and net play.

This is all my daddy's talking mind you lol
    Better listen to your dad, he is 100% correct.

It is true double handed back hand is easier to get away with. The real deal, however, is the power. Single handed backhand naturally produces more pace. But more difficult to execute. The best way to sum it up is double handed back hand gives you more improvisation and flexibility in difficult situations, where you have less time to react.

It is true most of the serve/volley players prefer single handed back hand. Things are changing a bit now, someone like Nadal and even Djokovic (both double handed backhand) not only have one of the best backhands in the business, they also can volley pretty good.

Quote Quote:
    Well hard courts are "standard" for most places I believe. The other types of court are more work to maintain. I've only played on hard court and some clay like imitation as I've said so I don't really have experience with different courts. Clay is nicer when you fall on your butt though
    The last time I played, it was clay imitation, as you put. Its the slowest surface but I enjoyed it since the serve seems to kick way more than on grass or hard courts.

This is the second time I had so much discussion about any sports in my history of posting. The first being at Nadal's website. But its really good to see you know about sports.

So what other manags are you reading? Have you heard of Guyver?
    Quote Quote:
    Moderator message by: Blai
    It's not liek I'm saying that you need the exercise... uhm... erm... *cough*

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    Hi toc! I'm curious, what is your sig and avatar from?
    Hey Kaiten!

The character in my sig avatar is Sanada Yukimura. Its a character from anime and video game (PS2) SENGOKU BASARA. Its really a good anime, 12 parts make up the first season. Do try it.

Sorry man, I am little short on time lately, some guests at home. I will definitely try it as soon as I get few minutes of idleness.
    Last edited by thornofcarrion; October 25, 2009 at 10:58 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Are the guests a handful?

Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Are the guests a handful?
    Yep they are, my little nephew just keeps all of us busy. He is so energetic and playful, I am like running after him all the time.

Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, at least you get exercise and fun.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Country
    San Marino
    Post Thanks / Like

Thorn how old are you? (if you dont mind saying :d)

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey toc! How's your weekend so far?

Country
    Pakistan
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Riki! Lets see my weekend so far, had fever for 2 days, yet had to go to a wedding of very close friend. I have guests at my home and oh I almost forgot I just bricked my mobile set yesterday after trying to update its firmware. So I guess, my weekend so far has been pretty Happening. Not that I am complaining about anything, tell me about your weekend. What did you do?

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member riki's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hey Riki! Lets see my weekend so far, had fever for 2 days, yet had to go to a wedding of very close friend. I have guests at my home and oh I almost forgot I just bricked my mobile set yesterday after trying to update its firmware. So I guess, my weekend so far has been pretty Happening. Not that I am complaining about anything, tell me about your weekend. What did you do?
    Poor toc! I hope you feel better soon. Likewise, I hope your cell phone will be fixed quickly.

How was the wedding? I bet it was beautiful.

My weekend is fine so far. No trick-or-treaters came by my house last night so my neighborhood was pretty quiet. Right now I am just relaxing and probably get ready for tomorrow.

Corporate 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member blai's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

A-Rod is one of my favorite, right after what I have mentioned earlier. He is a real nice person and good ambassador of the game.

True indeed, I was playing a local tournament (club) against some outside club, and lol it was like my hands and feet have gone heavy. Shots were so slow, embarrassing was it. The pros are giants, sometimes I wonder, is it even possibler to play so hard with so accuracy. They are so so tough.
    Yes, A-Rod for president! I still re-watch his game vs Agassi from the Arthur Ashe Kids day. It's so great.

It's stunning how they can be so relaxed and joke like they do, while still playing such high lvled tennis.
    You're not paid to think;
    A mindless worker is a happy worker,
    so shut up and do your job.

New Reply
Page 3 of 49 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast