Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Recent "Decline" of One Piece on the TOC

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Dragon Walker's Avatar
    Country
    Sweden
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recent "Decline" of One Piece on the TOC

It doesn't really help that we haven't had any long duels with a proper conclusion (One beats the other, no running, draws or paw paw fruiting.) since... Thriller Bark?

Let's see...
    -Shabondy ending in paw paw fruiting.
    -The snake sister were not even in the same league as Ruffy.
    -Pretty much everyone in Impel Down except Magellan was run over. And of course, Magellan ran over everyone else.
    -This war has yet to see any proper, finished duels.

Kinda miss those, especially since I didn't like Thriller Bark. I think were about to see an end to that though.

The Green Knight MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Gats's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't feel it like a decline. It's a change from the eternal "crew arrives in a new island, crew fights an enemy" even if it was never boring, and this "solo" adventure isn't supposed to last for a long time so we don't have to worry. More importantly, the end of this war will open a new exciting adventure.

3. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member hdiuy's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't feel like its declining, i prefer the current war over TB; currently its more exciting. Statistics are always changing and it would be nearly impossible to get a poll for all japanese readers. I like One Piece as my favourate manga , and it doesn't really matter (for me) if it gets beaten once in a while or to some manga that i think is better then One Piece.
    ..: The night is forever old :..

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Xadyu's Avatar
    Country
    Papua New Guinea
    Post Thanks / Like

I prefer the current war over TB too, but I disliked TB just as much as I hate this war.

Still can't figure out why people consider this "One Piece at it's Best", cause One Piece had better moments in the manga. Ever since Water 7/Enies Lobby the level of One Piece dropped dramatically (imo).

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member zelllogan's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

The manga is now in his phase "go to another level / power up /..." which is always dangerous for the overall quality. Every shounen go through that phase and it's always poorer afterwards. But in one piece, we avoid a main character becoming stronger than anyone in no time because of plotkai or plot no jutsu ...

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shounen Jump [2009] - Discussion & TOC Talk v.3

Quote Originally Posted by StrangerAtaru View Post
    I guess it's all impression in my head. I've loved the war in OP and think that Naruto has been atrocious...but that's just me I guess.
    Right there with you. IMO One Piece has been building wonderfully, setting the stage (plotwise) for some huge huge stuff when the war's over. My thoughts on Naruto are similar, and in the spoiler tags because it is a little off topic.

Spoiler show

And I love One Piece. And this arc has been ridiculously epic - a turning point for the plot cleverly executed.
    Last edited by keydude; October 23, 2009 at 06:26 PM.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow.. maybe CP9 arc was boring when it was the time where they were always changing fighters..
    Or when it was ends of water 7 in that train... luffy 1 chapter stuck between 2 buildings....
    It just didn't look boring cause everytime I finished a chapter I started a new one!!

ps: CP9 arc was 2 years or more... so we are just in the beggining of that big wave ^^ in proportion..

And I think this war will be biiigg.. but that the straw hats will join at some point!!
    Last edited by beastboy; October 23, 2009 at 08:18 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted zerocooldx's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One Piece hasn't even reached it's peak yet. As opposed to Naruto who is basically at it's peak at this moment, or right below it. So those results are somewhat understandable. But if people want really accurate stats then they should wait for the end of the year results. Either way OP is going to take the title of the top selling and top rated manga is history before it's all said and done. It's basically inevitable at this point. And thats the only stat that really counts.

"Upon the back of his body not a wound of retreat scars it."
    One Piece is a series created by a genius, it's a masterpiece, it's like a fine wine, it only gets better with time.

11. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Shiro-kun's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont see the concern that much, its just a slight drop that can be easily recovered in due time its not like the sales just became atrocious and nearly dropped several places in the top ten manga besides maybe OP just needs a break from number one spot (even its just a spot or two down )

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think that considering the Naruto anniversary and the climax of the series approaching, it seems higher. Yet at the same time, it's quality has never been there...personally I say never but it just had a bit more earlier than the train wreck it is now. But people are more obsessed with flash and pizazz without story, such as with Naruto or Bleach...as opposed to a mangaka who knows what he's doing and has everything meticulously planned, even with troubles like missing his crew and merely one cog in a massive, series-changing war.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Shiro-kun's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Its a matter of opinion how and where those stories are going, but i do agree that Naruto is indeed reaching its climax or quite close to it and it could be a reason why its above One Piece right now .. not the recent arcs (which i think has been great) of One Piece.

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think there is a decline. I liked both the Supernovae, and the current Whitebeard arcs (the second has real potential in the anime format, if it shows all the battles going on at the same time more thoroughly), and sort of liked the prison escape story. I didn't care much for the Enel or Thriller Park arcs though. Sure, I thought that WB vs WG would be a bit more epic, but it's still been excellent. It's incredibly hard for an author to handle so many characters at the same time, so Oda is doing fine given that.
    Last edited by ZenoArmani; October 25, 2009 at 06:52 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member toxun's Avatar
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Likes & Taste often very subjective. I like One Piece for years. It is for me.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member BetaRuler's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

i think i at least prefer this, than to how Bleach handled their "epic war"...

and about Oda not showing a single fight drawn out to the end since Thriller bark? Looks to me that he might be trying out for a new style to approach the story, trying to set a new trend, because battlefields in life don't usually do lots of intense duels between legendary characters! That's just my guess anyway, he might be trying to set a new trend instead of just doing things same old... Which would be very hard to do right now since there are so many characters running around this Whitebeard war, it'd be hard to focus on anyone.

And think, after this arc, wont it be hard on Oda to keep making crews of characters as unique and interesting as he did when he made the Gecko's crew? And CP9? Luffy's crew has climbed up to 9 characters now, so he might be trying to figure out a way to make epic fights between crews without always having to introduce opposing crews in equal numbers and unique characters.
    Last edited by BetaRuler; October 28, 2009 at 05:11 AM.

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think Oda is trying to set some trend. He's portraying a large scale battle as it should be. Battles are chaotic, unexpected things happen all the time, opponents keep changing, fights are being interrupted all the time. Add in the devil fruits and it becomes even more chaotic. Also, the pirates objective is to save Ace so it comes more important than individual duels.

It's ridiculous to compare this to Bleach Winter War. That's more like a shootout at OK coral. Except it wasn't that boring and it lasted less than a minute. And had more gunmen.
    It was ridiculous how some guys picked out their opponents. "You called me names" or "whatcha staring at".
    In this battle, people fight who they have to in order to fulfill their end goal.

I guess Naruto and Bleach match the taste of japanese readers more. After all, one is about samurai and another about ninjas. There's the drawing style too.
    Can't wait for One Piece to finally become number one.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

20. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast