Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 515 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Recent "Decline" of One Piece on the TOC

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member slippy's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Recent "Decline" of One Piece on the TOC

totally agree with razh above with the comments about war being hectic.
    i'd also like to suggest why people aren't really enjoying the recent arc(s) of one piece. first of all, the fact that the rest of the strawhats are absent play a huge role in why one piece may not feel like one piece to some. also, the hectic-ness of the war carries over to the mentality of the whole story overall. since sabaody, i have felt like the story has been rushed, but it has to be and might seem more suitable when it goes to anime format. luffy needs to rush or else he could lose ace. therefore, i think the quick pace is perfect for what is going on. luffy skipping fights and oda not keying in on certain people dueling, thats fine because the main objective is ace. i'm just waiting for the screeching halt at the end (a death....maybe =/)
    so yea, to all the people who may not be enjoying one piece right now, just sit back and enjoy it. has oda let us down before? i'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt and hope that this arc lives up to at least some of the hype that everyone on this website has thrusted onto it
    also, fights are not the only things to make one piece exciting

ps: i miss nami soooooo much
    Last edited by slippy; October 28, 2009 at 07:46 AM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Cool Re: Recent "Decline" of One Piece on the TOC

I really agree with Razh!
    Its a war!
    And I have read some people saying they don't like that Luffy is allways facing strong guys and 2 pages after being saved!
    But thats to prove something that he said in a certain park in the beginning of the series:
    He needs nakama, without nakama he is NOTHING..
    So even if is crew isn't present he finds new teammates and rocks it all to the top!

But hell yeah.. this arc is suited for an anime!!
    If the drawings and animation are OK with no still shots, this arc will be amazing..
    a chaotic scene with people falling every second.. T_T impressive!
    And in other series Wars have 20 people max.
    but here it gives you the feeling of War... just like in 300 but here there isn't that handicap!! ahah

Quote Originally Posted by Rainier View Post
    A crew of gay people (no offense), then a crew of stupid prisoners, and now a very disorganized war.
    Is a war meant to be ornganized???
    Actually this IS A WAR... and it gives the exact same feeling as in Code Geass except that this are my favorite characters...

I do miss the crew and that relaxment of the ship... we badly now the thousand sunny, but this is needed..
    Cause this isn't a story to make the shounen fans happy cause its allways the way they liked (like the soap opera's are designed in a way that the house wifes feel that it has a good end)... its a journey of an hero.. named Luffy, in a journey you can fight a hax handed marine, a stupid clown, a smart pirate, a silly pirate with loads of guns, a fish(man), a wale, a candle(man), a crocodile, a hiena (with weird legs), god him self, a bunch of cp9's, Zombies and Dracula, A bear, light, a fatguy, snakes, a guy with diharrea....
    you have happy moments, you have sad moments, hilarious things, horrible things, some times you're near your nakama's, some times you don't, but that doesn't matters cause you'll just have to move forward follow your dreams and above everything be HAPPY and FREE!!

isn't that whats happening?? So I steel love one piece!
    Last edited by beastboy; October 28, 2009 at 07:43 PM. Reason: Its fans not funs loool

4. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, it's funny reading about disorganized war.
    It's not even a war, it's a battle. Who's going to organize it? It's not the World Cup so that it will be known who gets to fight who.
    It's a rescue operation dressed as a battle. Nobody is going to wait for some duels to finish. And a lot of attacks catch multiple opponents. Lot of powerful pirates and marines can't go all out without killing a lot of their allies.

I'd really like to know how people who complained about this battle would "organize" things and create a feel of a real battle that doesn't look like a game of chess. Oda is doing a pretty good job.
    Strawhats will come back together eventually. These aren't the ending chapters and there are quite a lot of uncovered mysteries. At least we know what happened to them and the dragging of some parts isn't nearly as boring as in Bleach or Naruto sometimes.

There's even two unknown Yonkou, and an unexplored (for SH) part of the world. There are limitless possibilities, unlike in Naruto and Bleach. In One Piece, all of the mayor players were hinted gradually and in a believable way. In Bleach, there was no villain until Aizen started his plan and he's the only one so far. In Naruto, things are pretty much set up and there shouldn't be much surprises on the identity of final villains.

In One Piece there are OPTIONS. Anything can happen after the current battle. You actually have a feeling that the entire world is a playground. It's all connected and the events on one side of the planet can cause a disaster on the other side.

In Naruto, there are a few countries on a continent. I long for new countries and new nations with different abilities which would make the story more epic, but chances are slim.

Bleach has 3 main locations so far. Karakura town, Soul Society and Hueco Mundo. Sometimes, with it's setting, it feels like an evolved Sailor Moon. Just think about it for a second, lol.

As I see it, Naruto and Bleach lack some of the epic feel that One Piece has. I guess it's a matter of personal preferences.

I'm going to bed. This damned post kept me up longer than I planned.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

6. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

^
    Oh yeah!
    One Piece is kind off different from bleach and naruto... (not saying it is worse, but IMO it is worse ) is that in bleach there are 6 possibilitys max... (aizen gets owned, aizen owns, ichigo appears in FK, with everyone/alone/with 1 person), and if SS wins, its an happy ending.. if aizen loses, Bye bye karakura, hello land of the king... naruto the same... but a bit more!!
    In One piece we all know whats going to happen in the end.. but there are infinite that can happen until that end...
    WB can die, WB can live, Ace can die, no one will die, WB can win, WB can loose, WB can die but win, and what will happen if some one wins.. can some one intervain!!
    And even 500 persons in a forum can't get it right the most of the time!
    (I alone get 2 theorys of naruto right.. or better one and a half.. kisame wasn't defeated by the bear )

And if they do get it right... c'mon we are 500 people if one don't gets it right from time to time is cause we are extremly unlucky!

And c'mon.. how can One Piece be always on the Top if KHR and Naruto are always having covers and colour pages!!

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Magma♥ MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Akainu's Avatar
    Country
    Bavaria
    Post Thanks / Like

if those manga get the cover/colour pages, they are usually considered unranked by many TOC-followers, so that'd be one of the weeks OP get's first place unless there are even more manga in front of it.
    on the other hand, OP doesn't have to be up in the TOC to be good, as I said some posts ago, there are much more influences than howthe story goes etc.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Razh's Avatar
    Country
    Croatia
    Post Thanks / Like

You know, I get why some people miss seeing some characters in real duels. All those squad leaders, pirate captains, vice-admirals... It would certainly be interesting.
    But come on, If Oda did this battle Bleach style, Luffy and the escapees would still be on the top of that frozen wave in the current chapter.
    And it wouldn't feel like a real battle. Compared to the battle at Marineford, Bleach Winter War feels like a puppet theater. Like the author can't control more than 2 or 3 people at once.
    Last edited by Razh; October 30, 2009 at 12:26 PM.

Heh
    Prediction: Dragon will appear on Fishman Island!
    Challenge Gilferbeast!!!

(thank you pupil "fuck you razh" -> made me lol)

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

i cant believe everyone hates the war so much
    I LOVE IT
    its the best arc ive ever read, packed with excitement and action
    sure the old crew was nice, but luffy's step into the higher world is cool too. His skipping of the fights were all very logical. his goal is to rescue ace, not bust through every enemy he meets. besides he'd get owned by the majority of them.

i dont feel the war was overhyped at all. Its living up to my expectations perfectly, even moreso in fact

13. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Bugzee's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

You need patience to get into a manga like OP, well for me it was the case! Im talking about from chapter 1!

I've always needed to be in a certain mood in order to try a new manga or anime! But after like the tenth chapter i got into it!!! OP has so many mysteries that have yet to be explained and revealed, so many side stories that are important as well! It really does remind me when i first watched all of DB and DBZ! The way in which it draws your attention and leaves you hanging!! lol

But in regards to TOC, i guess with Manga/Anime like Naruto and Bleach people/viewers/readers tend to grasp that whole theme/story quicker. (imo) That doesnt mean OP is hard to understand, i just feel that people just dont give it a chance to go deep into it!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

what a weird thread... lol
    just for fun.. all one piece volume during this war selling like crazy..

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, this was posted some time ago, when One Piece was going down mainly because Oda did a pause every 2 weeks!
    But One Piece never left the first place (excluding the times where popular manga's get color pages, but if One Piece beat that it would be overkill)!

18. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member 外国人's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the people around here take too kindly to grave digging.

That said, there is no "decline" of One Piece in the TOC.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't imagine the decline in OP being too big.

The only reason naruto would take a higher spot than OP is because the Naruto has been building up alot of dramatic events after another and looks like its about to have another climax.

One piece finished it's mini climax with the war and needs time to build up another climax with the original cast of crew together in the new world.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity elitefox's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hdiuy View Post
    I don't feel like its declining, i prefer the current war over TB; currently its more exciting. Statistics are always changing and it would be nearly impossible to get a poll for all japanese readers. I like One Piece as my favourate manga , and it doesn't really matter (for me) if it gets beaten once in a while or to some manga that i think is better then One Piece.

Yeah it is really good to know that it declines once in a while..

Like Monkey D. Dragon said:

"Everyone was simply put to ease to know their mysterious boss really is a human with blood flowing through his veins"

"Every mangaka was simply put to ease to know that ODA really is a human with blood flowing through his veins"
    Last edited by elitefox; October 04, 2010 at 02:54 AM.
    CLEANED

22. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by hisoga View Post
    what a weird thread... lol
    just for fun.. all one piece volume during this war selling like crazy..
    Heh, yeah. This thread becomes completely irrelevant the instant you see the actual numbers.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner kingasas33's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

dont worry....OP still have half of the whole story to be tell...but naruto and bleach is coming to end...the WB n WG war is just another step for one piece to becoming greatest manga ever created...so much unpredictable and surprise....(that why we more then 500s follower this forum never can really predict what happened next)....no one really knows...that what make it one piece...manga craziest world(exp naruto: ninja world,bleach:death world)... until know i still can not simplified what kind world OP is.....

i want to live in one piece!!!!!!!!!

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3