Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/14/14 - 4/20/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 (2)

View Poll Results: Which parts of Gantz did you like, and which parts not as much?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Ch. 1-91 Buddha Arc (Kurono, Katou, Nishi & Kishimoto)

11 64.71%
  • Not my favorite.

3 17.65%
  • 92-118 Izumi Takeover (major story shift)

11 64.71%
  • Not my favorite.

3 17.65%
  • 119-157 Rise of the Dreamteam

12 70.59%
  • Not my favorite.

2 11.76%
  • 158-216 What?! Vampires! & Rule changes. (major story shift)

8 47.06%
  • Not my favorite.

6 35.29%
  • 217-237 Intro reporter, lose of Izumi and Kei (previous shift continues)

8 47.06%
  • Not my favorite.

7 41.18%
  • 238-282 Rise of Katou & Nuri

10 58.82%
  • Not my favorite.

4 23.53%
  • 283-301 Answers Revealed (major story shift)

4 23.53%
  • Not my favorite.

10 58.82%
  • 302-Present Beginning of the End

6 35.29%
  • Not my favorite.

6 35.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
New Reply

Thread: Ups and Downs of Gantz Storytelling

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ups and Downs of Gantz Storytelling

My opinions:
    1-91 was epic, I think it was awesome, most people have issues with Kishimoto.

92-118 Izumi was not very interesting to me, and neither was Reika later... all the drama and emotions begin.

119-157 Dreamteam enters the room and the drama and emotions ignite. Reika enters too, plastic model and boring.

158-216 WTF are vampires and rule changes? after the soap opera has run it's course Oku gives as vampires and rule changes, weak and flavorless.

217-237 Intro of reporter, Nishi & Katou; Kei & Izumi die, big changes... finally the soap opera is put to sleep; Kei leaves the room only to learn his future continues with Gantz.. Izumi and Kei die, excellent!

238-282 Katou is back and we get a great old school fight with the new school elements, pretty classic. Only problem, Oku made Nishi suck, why?

283-301 Nishi drops the bomb, people are feeling emotional. Nishi shows he really doesn't care and grows into better Nishi! Oku reveals there are no good answers and to stop asking for them with reporter and Sebastian.

302-Present All this random stuff starts to become a tiny bit less random.

(For me Gantz is about the vibe, style and twists... not the rational, sensical experiences...because those went away after the Buddha mission and Kurono never dying)

1. Kurono could have died at the Chibi mission. Then Izumi would have been the main character.. great things would have been different.
    2. Kurono could have left the game after Tae was revived and Kurono had a memory wipe.. great the remaining Gantzers would have a Hero to remember and (keyword: Protect).
    3. He could have stayed dead, fucking Katou.

Three places, Kurono could have stopped, but Oku just couldn't let him go. When he finally becomes a legendary hero who saved the world, I'm gonna add him to the worst hero ever list.
    Last edited by cassaruby; November 03, 2009 at 02:59 PM.

"Heh whatever" -Nishi
    7Seeds Best Manga Ever.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tumerking's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Ups and Downs of Gantz Storytelling

I thought Phase 1 was perfecto. Phase 2 was good, but not my favorite, and i'm beggining to like Phase 3.

Gantz is my crack

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member A_N_G_E_L's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I love Gantz till the End of the Nuri-mission, after that I find that Gantz becomes worse and worse with every new chapter(the Nishi-chapters were quite entertaining).

I liked the "nobody-is-save" fact, that makes the reader cheering more for their favourite characters and the whole story more interesting. But since Reika, Kaze, Takeshi, Cherry, Old Man, Sakata, Hikawa etc appeared it start becoming lame because the Team barely changed and besides that - unrealistic characters appeared(Cherry and Sakata - Psycho powers, Kaze - a character that looks like a Video-game spoof, Vampires - no comment). I liked in Gantz that it had the feeling something like that could exist, but with the lack of dying and the appearance of almost fantasy like characters the Manga lost its realism and touch.

And Oku barely really tells us more about all the characters because there are too many of them(he let them appear, tells us a bit about them and then forgets them), it would be better if he would have killed off the most of the characters and maybe just let Kurono and Katou alive, that would be better especially for Katou's development - so he would realize that it is impossible to save all the people.

I liked the idea that Kurono died and hoped he would stay dead and having Katou as main character for a while (at least for 3 Missions). Kurono already had his development.

Ps: Sorry that I can't give my vote in this Poll, the PC messes up the Forum, I can't even log out anymore!

5. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Evil3ye's Avatar
    Country
    San Marino
    Post Thanks / Like

Vampire and the following mission in Osaka for me. I actually enjoyed the arc without Kei.. dunno.. was kinda sick of that selfish guy. Katou may be a little annoying because he cares too much about everyone, but yet he's a way better main than Kei is imho

only thing that bothered me was Kei's brother being killed so randomnly.. I was hoping for an interesting plot, that was quite disappointing tbh
    Last edited by Evil3ye; November 04, 2009 at 04:40 PM.

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Amnesiac's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

My favourite parts where those from the end of the Buddha mission and up to the end of the phase 1. Not that I didn't enjoy the rest, it's just different.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member roxas_strife2's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see why anyone would dislike Kei after his development. Sure, in the beginning he was a selfish prick with only sex on the mind, but if you haven't noticed along the way he's grown up into a strong person. He might not be the most considerate guy, but he certainly isn't the weakling anymore. His willpower is very admirable and his desire to protect those close to him is great. Not to mention his character has had excellent characterization and is the most realistic character of the entire series. I think a lot of people just lose sight of all the aspects that really have made Kei's story.

I also love Izumi and Katou. Izumi, the corrupt golden boy whose a natural at just about anything. Katou, the heroic orphan with a brother to care for and a family history that has clear influence on who he is. Katou is another very believable character as well. I love the story developments that came with Izumi. I like Nishi because he is a clear sociopath whose probably had a very traumatic life. He's very fascinating. Kaze, Sakurai, and Sakata might not be all that realistic, but I like them. Kishimoto can stay gone. Reika is alright, but her feelings for Kei have never seemed rational to me. Takeshi is a great way to add more dimensions to Kaze. The vampires haven't been that bad, however they are related to a complaint of mine.

My number one complaint about the series is that just when you start to speculate on a future plot development it never gets fulfilled. Like the psychics and the vampires, or the issues Kishimoto should have had because of being a clone, etc. There's just so many things that I feel never really got followed through on. Kei, Izumi, Katou, and Nishi are some of the only characters I feel like haven't really had any aspect that was ignored or never followed up on. Maybe that's why they are my favorite.

I would say my favorite mission is the Nura mission. However, my favorite part of the series as you have it listed would have to be the part where Izumi and Kei die. I'm hoping for some more explanations in the future, which I'm not sure we'll ever get. Maybe someone will rewrite the series and make it better. Like me. xD

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Damura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

I've generally liked all of it. I've only got a few complaints.

1. I didn't really like the way Nurarihyon was defeated.
    2. Too much shown of the robots at the moment, I think it dragged on. It's picking up speed though with the introduction of the soldiers and the enormous space ship thing.
    3. Kishimoto.
    4. Character development seems to be declining a little bit to me. As an example, the way Kei accepted his clone, the way Kei2 somehow forgave Reika so easily and the way that Akira's death was made to be so insignificant. Oku really just glazed over those things.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Lithuania
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked it all so far. But I never understand why Nishi died. Second thing he participated about 30 missions and never get 100 pionts. His death and pionts are just not logical to me. I dont like that Kei lost his pionts after mission with butterflies aliens was that neccesary. Last Phase dont giong well too . Its wuold be time for some action and great story.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Katastrophe's Avatar
    Country
    Brazil
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Dominykas View Post
    I liked it all so far. But I never understand why Nishi died. Second thing he participated about 30 missions and never get 100 pionts. His death and pionts are just not logical to me. I dont like that Kei lost his pionts after mission with butterflies aliens was that neccesary. Last Phase dont giong well too . Its wuold be time for some action and great story.
    30+ missions?Where did you see that?

Nishi may have lost his points on one of these missions,the aliens could have been scarce and given few points or a even more unlikely hypothesis: he may have used the points for a reason other than being free.

The best explanations for his death are either bad luck or the non-boss aliens never being so strong before.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner ChronicSavior's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I didn't bother voting because the choices were too constricted and such. I'd rather just rant about the things I didn't like, so here I go! 1) I hate how the plot of Gantz is the figure out the plot! I mean, it is a change from the normal, straight-forward crap I usually read, but still, it's kinda annoying. 2) Kurono; is just don't like him. 3) The whole mysterious angle that is Nishi. I think it's just Oku's way to dangle an interesting character in front of his readers, and screw Nishi out of freaking screen time. 4) Every female character that was ever developed by Oku in Gantz. Well, all of them but Sei. They're just so noisy and pact full of drama. I could do without them. 5) How deaths don't matter. Though the reviving team members and the like makes a hell of a lot more sense then smut like Dragon Ball Z, it still pisses me off that characters still get emotional over someone dying. Big deal, suck it up and just revive them later. 6) The randomness. You know what I'm talking about; the vampires, the aliens that never seem to go away for good, the ill-explained missions, Kurono being such a cry baby, and so forth. That's all I can think of in one sitting, but I'm sure I could come with some more!

New Reply