Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Did Byakuya kill his Grandfather?

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Mifune_Taichou's Avatar
    Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Did Byakuya kill his Grandfather?

Ok hear me out here. I got to thinking about this because i was rereading that chapter where Renji meets Byakuya for the first time-there is an old guy there that everyone assumes is Byakuyas grandad. However on closer inspection at least to me he really doesnt look like Kuchiki Ginrei. what is more that old man was acting subservient to Byakuya and i cant imagine his grandad doing that.

What else do we know-Byakuya replaced his grandad as both 6th div captain and head of the Kuchiki house. what we know from Urahara is that one cannot retire from being a captain-you have to either be killed on the job or be promoted to div 0. Now if that old man ISNT Kuchiki Ginrei the Ginrei is either dead or in div 0. If we go with the dead version for a second, Byakuya said hed only shown Senkei to one other person who was heavily implied to have been killed by Byakuya. Now until Aizen made arrancar there have been no proper wars that we know of and the only opponent Byakuya might have encountered that could force him to use Senkei would be a shinigami captain. Besides it seems to me that only a family member could anger Byakuya so much-lets not the next time he used senkei it was indirectly because of family matters.

Its a crazy theory i know but let me know if anyone thinks it makes sense.
    Credit to Thepocolypse for the Awesome sig

Shut up and drink your bleach juice!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Tibet
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did Byakuya kill his Grandad?

Quote Originally Posted by Mifune_Taichou View Post
    what we know from Urahara is that one cannot retire from being a captain-you have to either be killed on the job or be promoted to div 0.
    A captain can retire, the captain of 3rd division retired:

http://www.mangatoshokan.com/read/bleach/1/-108/16

IMO Byakuya's grandfather stepped down after Byakuya became strong enough to be a captain.

3. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

the old man from renjis flashback looks a lot like the captain we saw in the pendulum arc, just an older, maybe kinder version seeing as it would have been about 80 years later between the two points.

i like that you made me remember that byakuya killed someone with senkei in the past, im very curious to find out who it could have been, i hope kubo will tell us at some point.
    Last edited by conn-man; November 16, 2009 at 04:39 PM.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Gecko Moria's Avatar
    Country
    New Zealand
    Post Thanks / Like

Byakuya seems to be a very honorable person who cares a lot about family even if it didn't seem like it when he was trying to execute Rukia. However, that was only because he made a vow to his parents (family) to never disobey the rules again. I doubt he would kill his Grandfather to attain the captaincy.

Thanks to ~Coffee~ for the avatar and signature.
    Everything is possible: The impossible just takes longer.

One Piece|Gecko is bored, go post something~|The Tennis Thread

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko Moria View Post
    Byakuya seems to be a very honorable person who cares a lot about family even if it didn't seem like it when he was trying to execute Rukia. However, that was only because he made a vow to his parents (family) to never disobey the rules again. I doubt he would kill his Grandfather to attain the captaincy.
    I didnt mean he did it to get the captaincy-I'm thinking only someone close to him can infuriate him enough to force him to use Senkei. I think the fact he mention he actually killed someone with it is significant because Kt doesnt just say things like that-usually they come back up when you least expect it. Hell even Hitsugaya saying to Kira to move away when he fought Gin was forshadowing and that was years in advance.

Also @ Gran Maestro:

http://www.mangatoshokan.com/read/bleach/1/-106/14

Here Urahara plainly states no one can withdraw from the Gotei 13. whatever Shunsui says, I trust the word of the head of the detention unit more.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Hitsug@ya ta1ch0u's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    No she didn't, she got promoted to squad 0.
    No in the pendelum arc its said by Unohana I think, that the Captain of the 3rd Division retired (Rose took his/her place) and the Captain of the 10th Division was KIA, and the Captain of the 12th Division got promoted.
    Byakuya didn't kill his granddad its specifically stated by Tousen, that the only person in the history of the Gotei 13 to kill a Captain in order to attain Captaincy was Zaraki Kenpachi.
    /thread
    Shodai Mizukage-dono

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Darth Executor's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Here Urahara plainly states no one can withdraw from the Gotei 13. whatever Shunsui says, I trust the word of the head of the detention unit more.
    He didn't withdraw, he retired.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitsug@ya ta1ch0u View Post
    No in the pendelum arc its said by Unohana I think, that the Captain of the 3rd Division retired (Rose took his/her place) and the Captain of the 10th Division was KIA, and the Captain of the 12th Division got promoted.
    Byakuya didn't kill his granddad its specifically stated by Tousen, that the only person in the history of the Gotei 13 to kill a Captain in order to attain Captaincy was Zaraki Kenpachi.
    /thread
    I got old man kuchiki and that chick captain who moved to squad 0 mixed up.
    Last edited by Darth Executor; November 17, 2009 at 09:34 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Executor View Post
    He didn't withdraw, he retired.
    <hr noshade size="1">

I got old man kuchiki and that chick captain who moved to squad 0 mixed up.
    to retire is to withdraw. It is the same thing. It would be imposisble to retire without ending up in the maggots nest. Did Tousen say Zaraki was the only one? pls link because I dont remember that

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conn-man's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Did Byakuya kill his Grandfather?

you guys are putting to much faith in this rule that you have to go to the maggots nest if you retire, your talking about a prison. soul society is not gonna put an old captain that has served his time and is the head of a noble family in to prison filled with the crazies of soul society. if the old captain kuchki wants to retire then he will get to retire with out any issues.

11. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Tibet
    Post Thanks / Like

Also @ Gran Maestro:

I think if you are old enough, you can retire.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member poobert's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

They might retire in the human world and take a gigai which seals their powers. That was Uruhaha's "punishment", but for an old man, that could be retirement.

To be honest, I think there are more subtleties to the law that puts Shinigami's in the magots nest. Why is kukaku not in the magots nest? She is easily stronger than most Shinigami, but completely unaffiliated. If her rank in the Shiba clan lets her stay by herself in her house, then there is no reason any Shinigami who is the member of a house can't do the same. Byakuya's grandfather could have just retired home.
    My blog. Not very interesting, but if you are bored and want to burn time, there are pages of junk to read!

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess so, it would be pretty stupid if the rule Urahara mentioned was absolute but this is Soul Society and we know the central 46 are complete retards (Thank fuck Aizen killed the shit out of them lol).

I just wander-WHO did Byakuya kill? It must be significant or else it wouldnt be mentioned. He could have stopped at sayin "this for i reveal only to those I have sworn to kill" instead of going on to define that hes only used it on one person before. That person must be somehow significant. Lets not forget Byakuya used to be a hothead

Banned 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    no proper wars that we know of
    Quincy war?

Country
    United Nations
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by White Silver King View Post
    Quincy war?
    Unless a Quincy used Final Form i cant imagine hed ever be strong enough to challenege Kuchiki Byakuya to the point where he'd use Senkei.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Unless a Quincy used Final Form i cant imagine hed ever be strong enough to challenege Kuchiki Byakuya to the point where he'd use Senkei.
    I could imagine the top quincys being on par with captains(say ishida's dad) but there is another BIG issue with this theory. The quincy massacre took place 200 years before the current storyline which means byakuya was merely a kid back then(if not even born lol). Quite frankly, the quincy final form would give a quincy power superior to that of a captain lol...

I always imagined byakuya used senkei to kill whoever actually killed his grandpa but I guess we have no reason to suggest such a thing. One thing that makes me believe at least ginrei kuchiki was not a traitor was that it seems as if such a thing would force the family to be removed from the noble families. I mean, just being killed by a hollow screwed the kaien family, actual treason would certainly harm them. In any case, I doubt byakuya killed ginrei.

As for kuchiki retiring, I do think there is a way for him to do so. I mean, all he has to do is drop his position as captain which would leave him as a normal titleless shinigami. Once he is in that position he can just declare the leave of absence and enjoy his final years in peace. I do think it is likely he was killed though, considering how long shinigamis live it makes no sense a period of just 100 years made him die of old age.

New Reply
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast