Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Custom-shaped text boxes?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner CCCR's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Custom-shaped text boxes?

Is there any way in Gimp to make a custom-shapped text box?

If not, is there some other program that allows for custom-shaped text boxes? It's really freaking annoying when I have a lot of text to cram into a box, and I need to use up as much of it as possible, but the only way to get the text to fit is the make a box completely encompassing the text bubble and just manually enter spaces/carriage returns in to align the text right. It would be nice if I could define the shape of the text area manually and let the program fit the text automatically.

I know you can in Illustrator, but Illustrator has decided that it's not going to load my fonts anymore, and I really didn't like it for typesetting anyway. I'd rather not use photoshop if that's my only choise though, as for basic scanlating, photoshop is like using a bulldozer to build a sandcastle.

thanks.

Scanlator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner DelGrecco's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Custom-shaped text boxes?

Just a quick thought on your font problem with Illustrator. I've found with some Adobe products that they'll start crashing if you move a font from the folder it was initially installed in. I moved one folder with only a handful of fonts a while back and it drove me crazy trying to figure out what had gone wrong. If you can't remember where the fonts were first installed you can uninstall all of the fonts that didn't come with your system and then reinstall them and the file paths Illustrator uses should update to the new locations and load them. Hope this helps.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner CCCR's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Custom-shaped text boxes?

I installed Illustrator on a fresh windows 7 installation with no new fonts installed at all, and it had the problem right from the start.
    I'm tempted to move up from CS2 and see if that would fix the problem, but I've found that upgrading Illustrator often causes more problems than it solves

New Reply