Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)
Thread Closed
Page 155 of 215 FirstFirst ... 55 105 145 153 154 155 156 157 165 205 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,325 of 3223

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 1

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Esc.'s Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk

lol. What's funny is how we all said that there was supposed to be a color page of Jaguar. The entire chapter was actually in color. Whatever. There was a tiny part at the end, I don't know if someone already mentioned it, I know someone mentioned Usuta saying something in the TOC, but comparing the japanese to the previous post it looks like it says something different:

Spoiler show

I cut off the page until the bottom part, just in case you're worried about seeing the last page of the series. . I wonder if someone could translate it for me, unless it says the same it did in the TOC.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, 2010 is really not turning out to be Jump's year in terms of new manga eh :/

I mourn the lack of One Piece for a whole month TT^TT (But in a more positive light, it returns right after my exams end \o/) I wonder if Jump's sales would be affected by the hiatus, considering OP is practically its flagship

Fruits Punch Samurai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted BBB Banana's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think the sales will drop I wouldn't buy a magazine with 20+ mangas if I were only interested in one manga. I'd rather buy only the tankobons.

Negative Syndicate

I think main reason for difficulties on 2010 is there are too many series survived on 2008 (5 series) and 2009 (4 series). I think that's why there is not too many place left for 2010 series.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Negative Syndicate View Post
    I think main reason for difficulties on 2010 is there are too many series survived on 2008 (5 series) and 2009 (4 series). I think that's why there is not too many place left for 2010 series.
    This is cyclical, too. Just like how 2008 and 2009 were aided by all the established series ending/moving (and 2004 before them), this year has seen the opposite. With no established series ending, and nothing from a new creator breaking out, it's not much of a surprise that 2010 has turned out this way. After 2004 and 2005, we saw a similar pattern. To-Love-Ru and Mx0 were the only 2006 series to last more than a year (and both are done now), and Sket Dance is the only 2007 series still going.

6. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member chusetto's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Vankazen View Post
    Chusetto, it won't last that long.
    Well, Rilienthal did and nobody bet on him...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rejuvenation's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by KuwabaraTheMan View Post
    This is cyclical, too. Just like how 2008 and 2009 were aided by all the established series ending/moving (and 2004 before them), this year has seen the opposite. With no established series ending, and nothing from a new creator breaking out, it's not much of a surprise that 2010 has turned out this way. After 2004 and 2005, we saw a similar pattern. To-Love-Ru and Mx0 were the only 2006 series to last more than a year (and both are done now), and Sket Dance is the only 2007 series still going.
    To further add on to this, we also had the period of 97-98. One Piece(1997), Shaman King(1998), I's(1997), Hunter x Hunter(1998), Seikimatsu Leader-den Takeshi!(1997), Rookies(1998), Rising Impact(1998) and Whistle!(1998)

If we add in 1996 we get Yu-Gi-Oh and Houshin Engi. If we add in 1999 we get Prince of Tennis, Naruto, and Hikaru no Go.

Over the last 15 years we have at least 3 different time periods where there were a group of series that emerged and ran for several years. We have enough evidence in recent history to conclude that it is indeed cyclical and if a series someone likes misses that window of opportunity it becomes that much harder to break through. Which means that until some of the old guard finally call it quits the new series are more likely to be fodder.
    Last edited by Rejuvenation; August 24, 2010 at 12:24 PM.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

One thing to consider though, is with One Piece absent for a month, every other series gets bumped up one in the TOC.

Course... with Jaguar gone everyone gets bumped down one, too...

What a weird scenario.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Manga is trending away from mega-magazines both in Japan and internationally. Looking at Jump's three biggest recent success; Mago, Toriko, and Bakuman are more comparable in sales to series like Strobe Edge or Giant Killing than Bleach. All of the biggest, recent hit manga are from less known magazines: St. Young Men (Morning 2), Kuroshitsuji (GFantasy) and so forth. Between the internet, ebooks, cell phone manga, and other emerging electronic distribution platforms the trend is away from mega hits and moving towards niche series. The days of huge, OP/DBZ hits may be over, whether the publishers like it or not. This can even be seen in the states, small publishers are starting to release a lot of obscure manga, and very old (50's-70's) titles, and turning a profit selling them. Even VIZ has an alternative manga imprint now.

11. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member v3g374's Avatar
    Country
    Hungary
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler show

I am not a translator but what the heck?!
    Spoiler show

Damn, this ending! I was hoping Jaguar will last forever...

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I guess we just have to accept that it's impossible for new series to break through when there are too many titles running at once.

But Naruto should be ending in a few years, and I can't see Gintama lasting for too much longer either. Bakuman is almost ready to overtake Death Note in length, so I can definitely see Ohba starting to wrap things up soon. Other than that, I can't really see any other established series with a definite end in sight.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it's more how good a series is rather than how bad its competition is. Most of the high ranking series did well in the TOC their entire run, more or less. Or at least in their beginnings they never went into the bottom 5 at least for a while.

Scanlator 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Esc.'s Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm not sure if that's completely accurate. I think for a series like Reborn who hasn't really been in the bottom (as far as I know), and who already established it's base and rank it doesn't seem possible for it to ever descend, even with some of the later chapters not matching up to it's earlier arcs. In my opinion, a series like that should drop much lower than it is, but it doesn't seem to be doing so because of the newer series bottoming out all the time. The veteran series are using the newer series as a raft while they drown.

It's just my opinion. I haven't read Reborn in a really long time, so I don't know if it's been getting better or not. I hope no one takes that comment to heart.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I'm really enjoying REBORN right now...

Take into account that JUMP readers don't stay the same age forever. Readers who were twelve in 2006 will be sixteen in 2010; those who were sixteen will be twenty. Personal tastes change and so do the masses.

Japanese pop culture changes more rapidly than any other culture. An unknown trend this year might be everywhere the next. For example, I never heard of AKB48 in 2008 when I was at Japan, but now I hear about them everywhere (well, on the net at least).

Changing trends might be one of the reasons why this year is turning out poor. The 2010 series are vastly different from one another but something about them doesn't click with the readers today.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

There was a picture of most of the TOC in this week's OP spoilers. You can't see the whole thing, but if you count the stuff with color pages:
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/d9da6494597611

1. One Piece
    2. Naruto
    3. Toriko
    4. Bleach
    5. Sket Dance
    6. [One Shot?]
    7. Nurarihyon no Mago
    8. Beelzebub
    9. Inumaru Dashi
    [Then something else. Because Inumaru is 10 pages long and the next one is like 20 pages after. I dunno maybe there are just a lot of ads or something.]
    11. Reborn (Color Page)

Oh, and I think maybe Bakuman had the opening color, so maybe that's first.
    Last edited by kewl0210; August 25, 2010 at 12:39 AM.

18. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
Thread Closed
Page 155 of 215 FirstFirst ... 55 105 145 153 154 155 156 157 165 205 ... LastLast