Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Bleach 576 by cnet128
Thread Closed
Page 209 of 215 FirstFirst ... 109 159 199 207 208 209 210 211 ... LastLast
Results 3,121 to 3,135 of 3223

Thread: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 1

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Weekly Shonen Jump [2010] - Discussion and TOC Talk - Part 2

Quote Originally Posted by Asarii View Post
    I'm pretty sure the magazine is meant to send a positive message, but I'm feeling :/ about this. Why can't women be successful in a mainstream magazine (which by and large are male-dominated)? Why should they be separated?

Right now I'm not feeling ecstatic about the idea; however, I'll wait and see if this initial reaction of mine holds.
    I think it's a response to the success GFantasy series have had. Female artists for a male audience has worked pretty well for them. Unless I'm assuming to much and G-Jump will be shojo

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

I think it might be a big mix - shounen, shoujo, seinen and josei all in one magazine. And that it'll be one-shots. The way the announcement was written doesn't sound like they are launching a whole new magazine just for female mangaka. Maybe that was obvious but when I first read Negative Syndicate's post that's what I thought it was till I went to read the Japanese post ^^;

The only female mangaka the writer predicted that I recognised was Amano Akira (Asa does that make you feel a little more ecstatic now? ). Other mangaka mentioned were serialised in Young Jump (seinen) and other magazines.

Celestial Belgian 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Koen's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, a question in my head popping up: if they are going to create a new magazine called G Jump then I can assume that the whole editorial staff will be female too?

I wonder why they are creating a new magazine for female mangaka? If these female mangaka can create manga as good as or maybe as better as some male mangaka then imo the quality of their work should warrant a serialization in WSJ instead of the gender being the criterion. I can assume that there are a lot of good female mangaka since they can create a new magazine for them.
    The biggest virtue is to support these Seven Deadly Sins in their fight!!!
    Read Nanatsu no Taizai

4. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

what is that piece of news really say? Is that a new magazine consist of female mangakas only or a magazine aimed at females?
    If it is the first, I am with Asarii in this matter. Why would they create a new magazine consist of female mangakas only? what's the point in separating them? I mean, i never read any series based on the gender of the author. That is absurd.
    I hope this is only a misunderstanding.

in absentia 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity saladesu's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

This is what the article (?) in Super Jump that is pictured in the link Negative Syndicate says:

SUPER PRESS
    We are trying out various new things. History's first ever Jump drawn only by females, "G Jump (Girls' Jump)" will go on sale on Dec 15. I believe that we will soon be able to announce who will be amongst these female writers that you are noticing and want to read.

The rest of the article thingy is on something else altogether (renewal of OhSJ). So there's not much info on it at all :/ I think they just think it'd be cool if they were all girls and there's not much point to it otherwise.

7. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

G-Jump sounds like Shueisha's answer to GFantasy. GFantasy is gaining a lot of steam lately, with Kuroshitsuji selling 500,000+ copies of each volume. Kuroshitsuji is technically shonen - it has action, boobs, and panties - but it also has BL tones like woah. And its fanbase is 90% female.

But look at Reborn. It's shonen (it's in WSJ, so yeah). But it also has a large female demographic because of all of the bishonen. In recent years, the same has happened with Yu-Gi-Oh and D.Gray-man. I believe that this is the purpose of G-Jump. It's not to exclude female magaka, it's to attract fangirls who prefer authentic shonen.
    Last edited by Jaymie; November 28, 2010 at 12:04 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

That's the same thing I was thinking when I read about GJump Jaymie. Even the name is similar. Don't forget D. Gray Man; shonen by a femal artist with a large female fanbase.

Quote Originally Posted by koenosaki View Post
    Well, a question in my head popping up: if they are going to create a new magazine called G Jump then I can assume that the whole editorial staff will be female too?

I wonder why they are creating a new magazine for female mangaka? If these female mangaka can create manga as good as or maybe as better as some male mangaka then imo the quality of their work should warrant a serialization in WSJ instead of the gender being the criterion. I can assume that there are a lot of good female mangaka since they can create a new magazine for them.
    I think it's a marketing scheme. It's hard to sell a magazine based on demographic alone now. Other than Jump, the shonen magazines that are gaining, rather than losing readers, have some sort of angle. Since Shonen Ace switched to bijshojo/otaku style manga it's circulation has risen every quarter. The other old school shonen magazines have been losing readers, like Sunday and Magazine. Like Jaymie was saying, this magazine is likely based on GFantsasy; their gimmick is shonen manga by female mangaka. They've had some big series recently too: Pani Poni, Kuroshitsuji, and Pandora Hearts come to mind.

Negative Syndicate

While discussion on G Jump, then I want to know others' opinion on which female Jump mangakas can serialize/move to G Jump?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R4n View Post
    From what i heard, many publishers tend to choose manga that had already been finished for practical reasons. At least that was what the manga publisher staffs in my country said when they were interviewed some years ago.
    Makes sense, but afair it was far from getting canceled/finished when it was choosen to be serialized in the US. I guess the publishers just thought it to be very compatibel with western tastes. Which might be completely true, considering it's high rankings on western manga-sites.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Kawashita will probably be one big names to gather attention for the new magazine. It would be nice to see more series from her, G-Maru isn't enough for me. I hope she will be included.

I made a compliation of all the WSJ covers for 2010.

Rehost the image if you want to post at other sites.

13. Thanks 14 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Looking at those covers, it is interesting to notice that there are a lot of new series that don't survive the year ^^;

Can we talk about favourite covers and least favourite cover? I like all of Bakuman covers and some of khr ones. I like the one where they are all eating noodles as well. It is so cute!
    My least liked is the giant Luffy feet one. It is quirky, but i just find that cover... very tasteless. =__=;;

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I like Issue 38, Ichigo with a paint brush. A nice, creative, well drawn cover. I always love two series getting the cover at once, something they don't do enough of anymore; issue 35 with Beelzebub and Toriko was nice.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Jaymie's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

My favorite was definitely Issue 40. What an interesting use of censors.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member SSJWill4's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I like Issue 38, Ichigo with a paint brush. A nice, creative, well drawn cover. I always love two series getting the cover at once, something they don't do enough of anymore; issue 35 with Beelzebub and Toriko was nice.
    I agree that Jump should have more dual covers...I miss those as well. My favorite for this year, however, is Issue 51....Bakuman characters as Ghostbusters...freaking awesome.

中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Issue 51 is indeed amazing! Actually I think all of the Bakuman covers are nice. Obata is such a talented man.
    [IMG]http://bit.ly/wvfDFh[/IMG]
    [url="http://bit.ly/qint1K"][IMG]http://bit.ly/zcJSPa[/IMG][/url][url="http://twitter.com/#!/ZayCon92"][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/ZayCon/Twitter.jpg[/IMG][/url][url="http://myanimelist.net/animelist/ZayCon&show=0&order=4"][IMG]http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b118/ZayCon/Anime.jpg[/IMG][/url]

Thread Closed
Page 209 of 215 FirstFirst ... 109 159 199 207 208 209 210 211 ... LastLast