Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: One Piece 754 by cnet128 , Bleach 590 by cnet128 , Gintama 504 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Best Manga Art

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner chan-chan's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Best Manga Art

I love Inoue sensei's art too! As a mangaka, his artstyle has improved/changed a lot over the years.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

read a manhwa Pink Lady the artwork is mesmerizing ......... and every pg is colored if one just reads manga for art work then this out to get the highest recommendation.... its a josei drama

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

i think that the recent kiben gakuha's art work is quite refreshing.. unlike many that i have seen before. I used to like clamp alot because the drawings were beautiful, but even though the drawing for this anime isnt exactly "bishoujo"type, it still impressed and pushed me to read it. (other than the intriguing storyline)
    xD

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

In terms of art

I posted this up to see you guys favorites of these mangas in terms of art such as character designs, environments, and use of spread pages.

Mine are:

1. One Piece
    2. Fairy Tail
    3. Eyehield 21
    4. Bleach
    5. Beelzebub
    6. Naruto
    7. D.Gray-man
    8. Fullmetal Alchemist
    9. Medaka Box
    10. Katekyo Hitman Reborn
    Last edited by akomaru28; February 20, 2011 at 10:00 AM.

Artists of MH 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shinsengumi's Avatar
    Country
    Turkey
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: In terms of art

only shounen or all gendres ?

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah Sorry about that I have not read any shoujo and I have read a few seinen so I'm not going ask for that the best art in those category.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by akomaru28 View Post
    Yeah Sorry about that I have not read any shoujo and I have read a few seinen so I'm not going ask for that the best art in those category.
    Compared to that list manga like Vagabond or Berserk have just so much kickass arts that you have to read them simply for that sake
    (Both are best a little into the story. Berserk like beginning at Volume 6 or 7, Vagabond becomes brilliant within the first 100 chapters, but actually is amazing right off the bat)

For me:

1) Vagabond
    2) Kokou no Hito - Very similar style to Vagabond imo, and a similar quality, too!
    3) Berserk
    4) Vinland Saga
    5) Wolf Guy - Wolfen Crest

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bromamura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Obviously it's all subjective but personally:

Tenjho Tenge
    As someone have mentioned before Tenjho Tenge have some nice art work. Ogure's drawings' are very detailed in terms of mechanical precision and anatomy.
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler: A bit violent show

Blame!
    The art is sketchy but its gritty and stark feel really suits the sort of post-apocalyptic urban decay present within the manga.
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Shin Angyo Onishi
    The character artworks are in various aspects similar to Tenjho Tenge, but if I were to differentiate the two manga overall (me being no expert of art), I'd say that SAO feels softer, with more flair and vibrance in comparison to TT's 'clean' look.
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Jiraishin
    I've not read the manga myself but came across these pages and thought that they deserve a mention, quite moody and atmospheric.
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show
    Last edited by Bromamura; February 21, 2011 at 03:35 AM.

9. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I recommend Otoyome-gatari for those who want to see some really refined, detailed art...
    But I really like the art from The breaker...both the first story and New Wave...korean artists are really good...either comical scenes, fighting or just sexy chicks

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Berserk captures my imaginary like no other, I feel anything can happen, I believe Miura can draw anything he imagines. It is a series that has both good and art but not focused on character design like many others. The setting is also drawn with so much imagination and it feels that the mangaka sept so little time on it when it is finally done, but in reality it is something he focuses on too much.

I am surprised Gantz has not been mentioned yet. Sure ok I get the whole computer stuff, but seriously it is an art-style that is not like any other. It is so different I believe is the right word. The aliens in particular. The main reason I keep on reading Gantz is because I want new aliens to be shown. Their design captured my eye the most. The human characters are also greatlly drawn but not as well as the aliens in my opinion. All of the technological stuff is also eye-candy for someone that likes great and most importantly in Gantz it feel clean, the art is really clean.

Inoue's works are often positively reviewed in terms of art, for me REAL has a better mixing of story and art then Vagabond which is more art orientated. Overall Vagbond sometimes focuses too much on the art and characters, that it is like watching something from real life. Watching a scene form real life right there even though you are reading a manga. REAL on the other hand is not as advanced in art but the mixture of art and story is magnificently done that makes me respect it more.

MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Roflkopt3r's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Benjamin View Post
    Inoue's works are often positively reviewed in terms of art, for me REAL has a better mixing of story and art then Vagabond which is more art orientated. Overall Vagbond sometimes focuses too much on the art and characters, that it is like watching something from real life. Watching a scene form real life right there even though you are reading a manga. REAL on the other hand is not as advanced in art but the mixture of art and story is magnificently done that makes me respect it more.
    Since Vagabond originally was a Novel, he probably could spend a lot more time on arts than usual
    I don't think it focusses too much on the arts. Now, certainly, it's a lot of fighting and thus a lot of panels beeing "wasted" without progressing the story, but that's lying the genre after all. And it's somewhat of a milestone in arts, that allone is deserving praise

Actually you're right about Berserk. For some reason I tend to underestimate it lately, dunno why...
    it delivered so amazing shots. After watching this one for a while, I almost thought the sun would actually dazes my eyes: http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...1-copy-jpg.jpg
    I really love it when Miura combines his magnicifientally detailled characters with beatiful environments: http://i576.photobucket.com/albums/s...rtimSchnee.jpg
    Some more Berserk:
    Night Sky
    Forest Hut
    Dragon
    Mountain Path

There can't be any other manga out there besides Berserk giving me so many highlights of arts and design. Ok, Berserk is long, 300-something chapters, but sooooo many highlights... incredible.
    I saved a total 500 shots/pages of Berserk as highlights...
    Comparisons: Vagabond 50 (well, honestly, Vagabond is like every page's a highlight, so I only chose the highlight-highlights), Vinland Saga 60, Wolfen Crest 50, Kokou no Hito 80.
    Last edited by Roflkopt3r; February 21, 2011 at 02:02 PM.

MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Roflkopt3r View Post
    Since Vagabond originally was a Novel, he probably could spend a lot more time on arts than usual
    I don't think it focusses too much on the arts. Now, certainly, it's a lot of fighting and thus a lot of panels beeing "wasted" without progressing the story, but that's lying the genre after all. And it's somewhat of a milestone in arts, that allone is deserving praise
    Indeed that is the reason it is praised as a manga with excellent art, I don't even have a praising word to say anymore(outstanding, excellent, brilliant, stupendous, amazing, magnificent) see in my opinion such art can be classified as putting each of them as an attribute before it.

Well story a good story is need but sometimes, some manga are good for having good art which in no case can be looked down upon if a manga has good art yet bad story. It depends on the person's opinion.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Artwork is secondary for me, but sometimes it helps a lot. Even if the story was on par with Shakespearian plays, messy and crowded artwork will prevent the message from being conveyed. That's a problem because the author wants the readers to understand what they're trying to get across.

Think of it this way: the story forms the skeleton and the artwork is the muscle (or fat).

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah. I gotta go with Kokou no Hito and Berserk. Berserk's designs on its monsters and all are really amazing.

Here are some good pics from Kokou no Hito:
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Eh. I realized those are kinda big, so here are just some direct links:
    http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/046.png
    http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/214-215.png
    http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/182-183.png
    http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/048-049.png
    http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/112-113.png
    http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/142-143.png
    http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/164-165.png
    http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/000a.png
    http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/000a%20(2).png
    http://www.apiljuce.com/Images/198-199.png
    Last edited by kewl0210; February 22, 2011 at 12:47 AM.

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Bromamura's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Gon
    Incredibly rich in detail
    Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show

Spoiler show