Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/18/14 - 8/24/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 507 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Finland

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

Finland

Although I doubt anybody is interested, I can teach Finnish. I should hope I'm capable enogh, as it is my mother tongue...

A basic note: Finnish has 29 alphabets, the 3 "extra" ones being å (like 'o' in 'horse'), ä (like 'a' in 'slap'), and ö (like... er... I canät remember any word in English with anything sounding like it). There's also the 'äng', which doesn't have its own alphabet but is instead written as 'ng' (or, alternatively, 'nk').

Thank You - Kiitos
    You're Welcome - Ole hyvä
    Good Morning - Hyvää huomenta
    Good Night - Hyvää yötä

How are you? - Kuinka voit?/Miten voit?
    I'm good ( or ) I'm feeling bad - Voin hyvin (or) Voin huonosti
    I'm happy to hear that - Mukava kuulla
    What are you doing? - Mitä sinä teet?
    Have fun! - Pidä hauskaa!

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finnish Thread

Muutenhhh.....mitens opettaisit mitenkä sanotaan Y suomeksi? Minä en osaa opettaa ja ihmiset kuitenkin sanovat sen kuin I tai J.
    Last edited by Punky fish; November 11, 2007 at 12:13 PM.
    You really think they like to rock in the space? Well I don't know.

Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

päivä!

Finnish grammar has to be one of the most difficult I've seen anywhere in the world. Having said that, I really love it. The written language is quite different than the spoken one; with the former being shorter and harder to understand.

Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, finnish is really hard to learn, probably because the word changes everytime the person changes. My house: taloni, your house: talosi, his/her house: talonsa...... i've read that word "talo" has 1000 different forms. Then, there is also words like "juoksentelisinkohan?" which means: "I wonder if I should run around aimlessly?" or "juoksisinkohan?" is almost the same but it means: "I wonder if I should run?" But thats the written language, I wouldn't say "juoksentelisinkohan" I would say "Mitä jos mä juoksisin ympäriinsä?".
    Last edited by Punky fish; March 01, 2008 at 09:09 AM.

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

Katos katos, en tiennytkään että meitä on täällä muitakin ^^

There are also some weird quirks in finnish like for example In/At Tampere (a city) is Tampereella but in/at Helsinki (capital) is Helsingissä. :lla is a suffix that could be translated as 'at' but : ssä is more like 'in'. Still the meaning with the two words is the same.

Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Aika varmaa, ettei kukaan ymmärrä mitään tai osaa lausua^^ Nyt kun rupiaisi oikein suomenkielen kielioppia selostamaan Kun vielä olen jostakin kuullut että suomi on maailman kolmanneksi vaikein kieli.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Kitsuni's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Finland

Actually I could do with learning some Finnish. I'm going camping there next summer and I know none.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Ochiru's Avatar
    Country
    Finland
    Post Thanks / Like

Well yeah Finnish language is very hard and such yet it feels so weird that its so damn easy to me well of course it is since Ive been grown up here for all my life but yeah its very interesting in a way.Yeah the alphabetic are rather hard around here and the grammar even I cant do perfect grammar when writing I always forget the ,marks along with very many marks but well hey thats what I do in every language .

Last edited by goldb; March 28, 2013 at 07:27 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted k-dom's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

It sounds a bit like French, I also have big difficulties with the writing. Also it's not the grammar which is difficult, there is no declination but the tense. Also there are a lot of irregular verbs and even the regular ones have irregularities.
    But Finnish looks like it's the level above. I think, I have heard it's not an indo european language. Do we know where it comes from ?

MH's Most Awesome Staffer 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ustegius's Avatar
    Country
    Fun Forum
    Post Thanks / Like

It is a branch of uralic language family. So as the name suggest, it is speculated to originate from somewhere around the Ural mountains in Russia. But not to be confused with russian at all, which has completly different origins and grammatical structure.

I think... quite a while from when we had that stuff in school.

New Reply