Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (10/13/14 - 10/19/14).
Forum News: The nomination phase of the Community Awards 2014 is live! Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Kubo's Engrish and Españor

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Bleach Humor thread

Quote Originally Posted by kiddo7 View Post
    hey guys, sorry for being that guy, and I will admit it is a rather interesting discussion, but isn't it starting to go a little off topic? I mean, I'm not feeling the lulz.
    Yeah, I didn't realize this was going to turn into a more serious and interesting discussion when I merged it into the humor thread. Sorry, my bad. I decided to unmerge this back into a separate topic for now.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member R4zr's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Kubo's Engrish and Españor

I think we can add "Vice it" and "Grillar Grillo" to the list...
    So keep the blood in your head and keep your feet on the ground
    If today's the day it gets tired, today's the day we drop out
    Gave up my body and bed, all for an empty hotel
    Wasting words on lower cases and capitals.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member Sinedd's Avatar
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by R4zr View Post
    I think we can add "Vice it" and "Grillar Grillo" to the list...
    Would does "Vice it" mean anyway?

Predictions:
    - Gin is going to be the first person to kill a captain
    - Urahara's bankai is going to be a killer
    - A Vasto Lorde will be introducted or confirmed in the next 25 chapters (counting from 385)

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member vizardichigo's Avatar
    Country
    Trinidad and Tobago
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Vice it an error????? Well anyway, right or wrong his chapters have the coolest and most original names of any manga out there so i dont mind at all..

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Sinedd View Post
    Would does "Vice it" mean anyway?
    Well, let's look up the word "vice".
    http://www.thefreedictionary.com/vice

In this case, how does that apply?

Tousen's vice: being a part of the Gotei 13, which Tousen believes has its own vices and blah blah. (*coughtousensuckscough*)

Not sure why the "it" is there....it's pretty strange.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member javimgol's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Kubo's Spanish is 60% pathetic.
    Good ideas: Glotonería, Murciélago, El Verdugo, Los Lobos, Resurrección, Pantera

Strange ideas: Fornicarás (you'll fuck, literally, in Spanish), Lanza del Relámpago, Santa Teresa, Sonido (sound, in Spanish, if he says that it's because Hollows fly at sound speed it's a bit sad)

Lame: Arrogante (there are tons of synonimous of arrogant in Spanish that could fit better), Tiburón (Escualo would have been great), Ira, Cero Oscuras, Brujería, Sonido Gemelo, La Muerte (an attack so lame doesn´t deserve that name), Lanza Verde

WTF?: Grilla Grillo
    So Proud to be Spanish:
    World and Europe Champion of Football.Real Madrid Best Team Ever,has 10 Champions League
    Rafael Nadal, tennis player with the Golden Slam( 4 Grand Slam and Gold Olympic Medal)
    Europe Champion and Olympic Subchampion of Basketball,Pau Gasol Champion of the NBA '09,'10

F.Alonso, World Champion in '05 and '06, #1 of Ferrari
    Jorge Lorenzo, Alberto Contador, Adam Raga...
    ¡Viva España!

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by javimgol View Post
    WTF?: Grilla Grillo

I'd guess he was trying to say "Grita, Grillo" which is exactly the same as the command for his zanpakuto's shikai, only in Spanish instead of Japaneses. But either he or the translators failed

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Actually grillar does have a meaning in spanish lol. I just looked it up:
    http://buscon.rae.es/draeI/SrvltCons...3&LEMA=grillar

That is a weird verb lol

Quote Quote:
    Kubo's Spanish is 60% pathetic.
    Good ideas: Glotonería, Murciélago, El Verdugo, Los Lobos, Resurrección, Pantera

Strange ideas: Fornicarás (you'll fuck, literally, in Spanish), Lanza del Relámpago, Santa Teresa, Sonido (sound, in Spanish, if he says that it's because Hollows fly at sound speed it's a bit sad)

Lame: Arrogante (there are tons of synonimous of arrogant in Spanish that could fit better), Tiburón (Escualo would have been great), Ira, Cero Oscuras, Brujería, Sonido Gemelo, La Muerte (an attack so lame doesn´t deserve that name), Lanza Verde
    This part is a tad subjective lol. I personally liked arrogante and tiburon(I liked sharks and predicted harribel would be a shark before she released lol). Also, it is not lanza verde but lanzador verde.

Also keep in mind all of this names have greater meaning in Japanese than in spanish. Even if not perfect, I think it is better for it be there than not being there at all. My first language is also spanish BTW.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member robert_nsu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

***(somewhat) funny story
    I was in an airport a few months ago talking to a missionary who was excited to be back in the US. He wanted to catch up on a lot of things and mentioned some interest in bleach. (After finding a job, gf, cell phone [not necessarily in that order]) I started to hint him on some of the things that went on, and he had some odd expressions at some of the terms i threw out there. The one that I remember most is Hueco Mundo. The place he was stationed at spoke a dialect of spanish where Hueco Mundo meant "gay world". After I explained the story of hollows to him, he said "Ok, the author must mean 'hole world'."

***back on topic
    Hall in Your Inferno (??) [Chapter 337]
    Don't Believe the Hide [chapter 331]
    March of the Death* [Chapter 315]

In Spanish, March of the Death would be roughly translated as Marzo del Muerte. In English, I'm 90% sure it would be read as Death March. I nitpicked at it up until I read Ninja's post. So, like others, I should probably learn the kanji that KT used before considering it a mistake. Still, Hall in Your Inferno throws me for loops. I really couldn't get my head around that one.
    Last edited by robert_nsu; December 14, 2009 at 10:06 AM. Reason: bad spanish grammar on my part
    Looking for:
    1. The bankai's of all the exiled captains (including Isshin, Urahara, and Yoruichi)
    2. Aizen's real plan...
    3. Wonderwice Margera
    4. A new technique for Ichigo
    5. A villain that realizes stabbing a good guy in the chest means instant-death.
    6. That big fooking eyeball behind Aizen and co during their SS exodus.

11. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Aikidoka's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

kkck's statement about your points being subjective, javimgol, are true. Maybe there were proper substitutes for Tiburon or Arrogante, but even if we ignore the Jiggy Factor (the Furigana context), couldn't Kubo have chosen those synonyms out of personal preference as well? Maybe Escualo sounds better to you but Tiburon sounded better to Kubo, hence why he chose it.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

My first language is spanish and I have to say, escualo sounds outright horrible lol. It is awkward and mostly undignified to the utmost extreme. Sounds like the name of some weird ass big eyed animal you'd find deep in a jungle or between the crack 7 miles deep in the ocean lol. Maybe it would have been more original than tiburon but it wouldn't even nearly make up for the awkwardness. I mean, personally when I think of a shark or TIBURON, this is what comes to mind:

http://teknociencia.files.wordpress....ron-blanco.jpg
    http://www.turincondefotos.com/image...n-blanco-2.jpg
    http://mundoballenas.files.wordpress...elicoptero.jpg
    http://www.forodefotos.com/attachmen...co-tiburon.jpg
    http://www.fondosdeescritorio10.com/...-1600x1200.jpg

I mean, a shark, tiburon, is a flesh eating machine who will rip you to pieces without a second thought(not that it can think). The undisputed flesh-eating ruler of the sea.

A escualo might be a shark to but when listening to the word this is what comes to mind:
    http://paaveragefisherman.com/Weird-...J-Sept2001.jpg
    http://www.funnyphotos.net.au/images...p-sea-fish.jpg **WTF??**
    http://news.nationalgeographic.com/n...1_FISH_461.jpg

I also want to note how the names sound in the translations we read might not sound the same in the official translation. Things like cero escuras or lanzador verde might change a tad in the official translations.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Rainier's Avatar
    Country
    Dominican Republic
    Post Thanks / Like

They actually don't, lol. Here we get the early seasons of the Bleach anime, and they say all those horrible terms the same way the translations does, the same way Kubo wanted.

>_>

Fricking.Awesome.

Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Really? I don't really follow the spanish dub where I am from but I thought they simply hadn't got to that point in the anime. I guess it would suck to hear something like cero oscuras lol.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    Also keep in mind all of this names have greater meaning in Japanese than in spanish. Even if not perfect, I think it is better for it be there than not being there at all. My first language is also spanish BTW.
    Again, no they don't.

The Kanji, which creates the Japanese meaning, and the Furigana, which creates the pronunciation, are totally separate things. Getting the double meaning does not require mangling the Spanish pronunciation.

虚閃 is the Kanji that Kubo chose for the beam attack that all the hollows use. The meaning of these characters is "Hollow (adj.) Flash". A Japanese person reading these characters would probably pronounce it "kosen" or "kyosen".

Kubo decides he wants to give his Hollow related stuff Spanish names, so he can use Furigana to change the pronunciation of the Kanji, while leaving the Kanji itself and the meaning intact. He chose to give it the Furigana セロ, which is pronounced "sero". The Furigana has no relation at all to the Kanji, the Kanji is there to either just look cool or give some meaningful context to the foreign word that readers might not understand.

Another clue that this word isn't Japanese is that the Furigana is written in Katakana. Most normal Japanese words are written using Hiragana. Katakana has only two common uses: emphasis (like italics or [b]bold/b]) and foreign loan words. Since the Katakana is used every time they talk about Cero, it's clearly not for emphasis. That means it's a foreign word, and thus meaningless in Japanese. The word "sero" is meaningless to your average Japanese person, unless they happen to know Spanish or are a Bleach fan.

Kubo chose to use セロ as the pronunciation for this attack, but he could have just as easily called it ラ ・ クカラチャ (Ra Kukaracha, La Cucaracha (sp?)) if he wanted, and he wouldn't have had to change the Kanji at all. The pronunciation and the meaning are totally independent of each other.

This is a very common technique that is used by many, if not most, manga writers in Japan, not just Kubo.

The upside to using this technique is the cool double meaning you can get. The downside is that, if the manga is made into an anime, you loose the Kanji that might have gave meaningful context to the word, and are just left with the pronunciation, which may or may not make any sense.

On a different tangent, what kind of idiot Mexican wrote a song about cockroaches? And made it so damn catchy too? GET! OUT! OF! MY! HEAD!! Must....drown out......that damn song!

17. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jiggy-Ninja View Post
    Again, no they don't.

The Kanji, which creates the Japanese meaning, and the Furigana, which creates the pronunciation, are totally separate things. Getting the double meaning does not require mangling the Spanish pronunciation.

虚閃 is the Kanji that Kubo chose for the beam attack that all the hollows use. The meaning of these characters is "Hollow (adj.) Flash". A Japanese person reading these characters would probably pronounce it "kosen" or "kyosen".

Kubo decides he wants to give his Hollow related stuff Spanish names, so he can use Furigana to change the pronunciation of the Kanji, while leaving the Kanji itself and the meaning intact. He chose to give it the Furigana セロ, which is pronounced "sero". The Furigana has no relation at all to the Kanji, the Kanji is there to either just look cool or give some meaningful context to the foreign word that readers might not understand.

Another clue that this word isn't Japanese is that the Furigana is written in Katakana. Most normal Japanese words are written using Hiragana. Katakana has only two common uses: emphasis (like italics or [b]bold/b]) and foreign loan words. Since the Katakana is used every time they talk about Cero, it's clearly not for emphasis. That means it's a foreign word, and thus meaningless in Japanese. The word "sero" is meaningless to your average Japanese person, unless they happen to know Spanish or are a Bleach fan.

Kubo chose to use セロ as the pronunciation for this attack, but he could have just as easily called it ラ ・ クカラチャ (Ra Kukaracha, La Cucaracha (sp?)) if he wanted, and he wouldn't have had to change the Kanji at all. The pronunciation and the meaning are totally independent of each other.

This is a very common technique that is used by many, if not most, manga writers in Japan, not just Kubo.

The upside to using this technique is the cool double meaning you can get. The downside is that, if the manga is made into an anime, you loose the Kanji that might have gave meaningful context to the word, and are just left with the pronunciation, which may or may not make any sense.

On a different tangent, what kind of idiot Mexican wrote a song about cockroaches? And made it so damn catchy too? GET! OUT! OF! MY! HEAD!! Must....drown out......that damn song!
    So it is actually possible in every case to use furigana in order to make what kubo writes sounds exactly like spanish? In that case kubo should probably chose to do it perfectly, then again he might chose a certain way because for him it sounds better.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast