Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
I meant to make this thread quite a while ago, but I never got around to it and then forgot. I just remembered and decided to do it now before I forget again, so here goes.
I'm js06 and here's some basic information about me. My real name is Andrew. I'm 21 and l live in Alabama.
As for how I know Japanese, I'm actually self taught. I've never taken an actual class in Japanese; I used various online sources to learn the grammar and some basic vocabulary and then read A LOT. I used an online dictionary and read manga, Japanese web sites, and other things.
I got into translating manga at the start of 2009 by teaming up with Kioras to get Zettai Karen Children scanlated. I wasn't too confident in my translations then, but they were well received. Looking back I can tell I've improved a lot through practice since then. For the other mangas I do, you can just check my translator page: http://mangahelpers.com/t/js06
Well, if anyone has any questions for me, ask away.
I am shock you are from Alabama, you are only like 2 or 3 states away from me...
Yup, I live in Huntsville, AL to be specific.
I see, I was going to bomb Alabama when I took over the world, but now that I know you live there I will not..
Hey js06! Congrats with your thread lol !
lets see now..hmm......random questions lol *here we go *
Baths or showers?
Do you recycle?
Hows Dallas treating you?
What five things would you not be able to survive without?
Hmm...that's a tough one because mangas of different genres aren't really comparable in my opinion.Quote:
I guess I have to go with One Piece. It's not the one I consider to be the highest quality of the manga I like, but it's the one I think I enjoy reading the most.
Showers. Baths take too long.Quote:
Yes, but only if there's a convenient recycling pick up. If not, I don't bother.Quote:
A. Fixed that for you.Quote:
B. Quite well.
Crap, another one I actually have to think to answer.Quote:
1. Curiosity (and learning new things which curiosity inevitably leads to)
2. The Internet
5. Family/Friends (Thought I'd throw in a nice clichéd answer for the last one)
Yay! A js06 (aka superman, aka speedy) thread. I've always been curious about you, cause you seemed to pop up put of nowhere and started translating like crazy. It's amazing that you're self-taught and since I'm teaching myself too, I hope I'll be as awesome as you soon. I'll take your indirect advice and read read read!
Well I have a few questions:
1) When you get a request for a manga that you've never read before, do you download all the previous chapters and read them through to get a feeling of the series, or do you just look at the summary and character information?
2) Of all the series that you currently translate, which one do you enjoy the most?
3) On a more personal note; Are you still studying or do you work? Cause I realized that your daily releases were stopped when the school season started and I figured that you're a student.
4) Will you try for the JLPT sometime in the future? And do you dream of going to Japan someday?
5) Have you ever considered translating anime or entire novels?
I think I'll stop for now. haha.
I'm gonna have to give three answers for three different types/genres of manga.Quote:
My favorite serious/action manga I translate is Bloody Monday.
My favorite serious/non-action manga I translate is Bakuman.
My favorite comedy I translate is Hayate no Gotoku!.
Yeah, I'm a college student.Quote:
I have no current plans regarding the JLPT, but I would like to visit Japan someday.Quote:
I've actually gotten a request to translate an anime in the past, but translating an anime doesn't really appeal to me for some reason. As for a novel, I suppose it could be fun, but the idea of doing a whole novel is a bit daunting.Quote:
haha, I can imagine that novels would be daunting. When I think of eventually translating, it's novels that come to mind, but when...oh when will I get to that level. lol Anyway, next question.
- I've always wondered, do you read the final scanlation after the team releases it? Well, to be honest I only care about JAC right now. Do you read our releases to see if we botched your trans or forgot to credit you (of course we do not!!!!!)? ^^
And in case you were wondering, my conclusion about JAC's job was that y'all do an excellent job on the scanlations.
What's your favorite movie right now ^^?
And are you excited for the Sherlock Holmes movie?
lol cool replies js06! I'm glad Huntsville is taking care of you! haha
Anything special you are looking forward to this christmas?
How is your christmas shopping going?
Not really, but I'll probably see it when it comes out on DVD, which is more than I could say for most movies.Quote:
No, it looks like it's just going to be a standard Christmas.Quote:
Unfortunately, I haven't even started.Quote:
So what would you do if a random girl slaps you on the face while walking down the street, and then you get caught in fire?
hahaha I leave the shopping real late as well!
Chicken, Beef or Pork?
Do you like sunbathing?