Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 (2)

View Poll Results: What Demographics Do You Read

Voters
137. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shonen

127 92.70%
  • Seinen

100 72.99%
  • Shojo

41 29.93%
  • Josei

30 21.90%
  • Shonen Ai/Yaoi

22 16.06%
  • Shojo Ai/Yuri

12 8.76%
Multiple Choice Poll.
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: What Demographics Do You Read?

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

What Demographics Do You Read?

I've been curious as to what fandoms are mingling here at MH. Click every box that applies to what you read. Have a question about what demographic a series falls in? Click the links below and see if it has a thread or ask before you post! Don't forget, if you'd like feel free to make a post telling everyone what you selected. A little background about how your taste developed would be great too!

Manga/Anime Forums
    Seinen
    Shojo/Josei
    Shounen Ai & Yaoi
    Shounen

I read shonen, seinen, shojo, josei, and a little bit of yuri. I started out as a shonen fan who read seinen every now and again. My first manga was Inuyasha, as I started reading the other big shonen (Bleach, D. Gray Man, Full Metal Alchemist) I was also reading seinen like Elfen Lied and 20th Century Boys. I've found that lately I am trying fewer and fewer shonen while concentrating on seinen and shojo.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 07, 2009 at 11:48 PM.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Dive's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Demographics Do You Read?

No discrimination here. I read them all. =) I'm not particularly fond of the shojo ai demographic, but occasionally a series will come along, like Sasameki Koto, and I'll love it.

As for how I developed, I guess I started with shonen, eventually to shojo with things like Marmalade Boy and MARS. Then blah blah blah, shonen ai with Gravitation and seinen with Battle Royale, Berserk, Bastard!!! (lol all B's) and whatnot. And here I am today. Yay!
    Last edited by Dive; December 08, 2009 at 03:42 PM.
    To die by your side
    Well, the pleasure - the privilege is mine

The Giggs MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted igotthegoods's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't really stick to just one genre. I read a mix of shounen, seinen, shoujo, and josei. I've tried the tiniest bit of yaoi/shounen-ai as well, but it doesn't really thrill me. It's just... ok. But maybe I haven't found the right one yet? Or maybe it's just not for me? Who knows?

As to how my taste developed, I started out with shounen (Inuyasha was also my first manga) and read shounen only for quite a while. I tried seinen next and loved it. After that, I was a bit nervous to try shoujo/josei, worrying that it might be too cheesy and childish (especially shoujo), but was pleasantly surprised when I finally did give it a shot.

In recent months, I've been more focused on anime, and so I hadn't read that much manga (for shame! I know! ). But what I was reading and enjoying was mostly shoujo/josei. Just this past weekend, I decided to return to my manga roots and give a couple of shounens (Ao no Exorcist and Beelzebub) a try. I had almost forgotten how much I loved this genre. Needless to say, it felt great to return to my first love!

Next up will be more seinen for me, since I've been neglecting this demographic the most. Should be fun.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Shojo made me nervous at first too. I thought everything would be sparkles, tone, and big eyes. When the previews of the spring 2008 anime were posted I thought Vampire Knight looked good and decided to read the manga first. I liked it enough that I felt encouraged to read more shojo. I've turned into a Margaret Comics fanboy since reading LoveCom, to the extent that I have been neglecting Shogakukan and Hakusensha shojo, something I really need to fix.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Mushashi's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

my first Manga was astro boy 16 years ago. in 95 i started reading beserk. i then picked up one peice in the following years along with ranma 1/2, i then mainly consentraded on shonen also reading pluto 20th cent boys, and gantz. now i guess i read everything including about 20 shonens 6 shojos and like 7 seinens

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member TitaniumChloride's Avatar
    Country
    Malaysia
    Post Thanks / Like

My first manga... I can't really remember but I do know it's all practically shounen stuff: Pokemon Special, Shaman King, Hell Teacher Nubei, Detective Conan and a smattering of others. I love this genre although over the years I've come to realise that for every good one I read, there's a million out there that... well...

My first contact with shoujo was actually an anime called 'Honey's Big Adventure'. I was really young then so I barely remember it. I also remember trying a Sailor Moon episode but didn't like it. The main reason I even started reading it was due to recommendations by my sister and friends. However a majority them disappoint me before they get to the end and I continue reading them just for the sake of completion. Special A was one and Ouran High is an ongoing example.

Seinen... I haven't really delved deep into this one. Heck, I've only read 2 series so far since most of those that I've come across seem to be sexually oriented. I'm caught up with Gantz but I'm honestly not enjoying it much. Burning Hell, on the other hand, has my full attention and I'm pretty happy with the 4 chapters out so far.
    Last edited by TitaniumChloride; December 08, 2009 at 04:45 AM.

My Manga List (outdated)

Shows: Supernatural, Legend of Korra
    Webcomics: Homestuck, Paranatural, Gunnerkrigg Court
    Tumblr: onewayworld

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Country
    Micronesia
    Post Thanks / Like

The genre i read the most is Shounen and Yaoi. I read Shoujo and Seinen as well, and only a little bit of Josei.

My first manga is... Doraemon (what genre is it? xD), seriously. Then Rose of Versailles and Candy Candy. I was an obsessed DBZ fan when i was a kid, i guess that was the series that got me into shounen

I used to be an obsessed BL fangirl, but now i read more shounen than BL...

Doraemon is Kodomo (kids). Since there's no Kodomo forum at MH I didn't list it /Kaiten
    Last edited by R4n; February 10, 2010 at 04:29 AM.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

I for the most part just read shonen and seinen. I haven't really read much shojo. Nothing against, I just don't usually get as into shojo as much as seinen and shonen. In fact, the only shojo I have read are Godchild, Absolute Boyfriend, Nana, Baby and Me, Kaze Hikaru, and Crimson Hero. And I've only read the first chapters of those (as some of you may notice, those are all the starting series in the first issue of Shojo Beat ) I actually liked Absolute Boyfriend and Kaze Hikaru just never had the drive to continue reading them or others, though someday I will read some more shojo...

I read a ton of shonen and more and more seinen each day. I find myself focusing more on seinen the older I get

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I do see you in the seinen forum more often recently ^^

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Tumerking's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I started off reading a few shounen (Naruto, Bleach, Ichigo 100%) as well as a couple Seinen (Gantz, Suzuka) and then I drifted toward basically all Seinen. All shounen seemed identical to me except for FMA.

But yea, I read/completed maybe 5 shounen and like 35+ seinen.

Gantz is my crack

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member ZaCloud's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I voted for the ones I read the most: Shounen, Seinen, Shoujo, Yaoi/Shounen-ai. But I'll read basically any demographic as long as I like the art, story, and characters. I seem to lean toward Shounen since it's so available, and I love me some action. But I've also run into plenty of thought-provoking Seinen (like Shion no Ou) that have little or no sexual content and are awesome. I like some Shoujo for the characters and pretty art, and often very complex plots. With shounen-ai, well, I don't pay much attention to characters' genders. So I never read it specifically for the demographic, just for the same criteria as any other manga: art, characters, and plot.

I don't even remember what genre's I started off with, I think I dabbled in a little bit of everything, and I just take each story for how it makes me think and feel. So I never lean toward or away from a specific demographic. (I just haven't found as many jousei or shoujo-ai stories yet that have piqued my interest plot-wise yet, or they sometimes just get too sexual for my liking, but the latter happens with any demographic at times. But I don't specifically avoid them either. I just statistically haven't read as many as the others.)
    Hyuu Hyuuuu~!

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Drmke's Avatar
    Country
    Winterfell
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    I do see you in the seinen forum more often recently ^^
    Yeah it took me awhile to get into seinen. Only a few series clicked with me here and there but now most of them look good

OCCUPY THE WORLD

I got by Kaiten.
    <%M3J> Though I wouldn't mind Sari dominating me.

Translator 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner niiica's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I really don't post here on MH much (but I do go here every single day) but I really have taken a liking to seinen and josei stuff. I guess we can say that those are much more mature than shounen and shoujo... and I really don't like annoying cliches that can be found especially in shoujo mangas. Don't get me wrong, I read everything on the poll except for shounen-ai/yaoi and shoujo-ai/yuri and I like all that I read.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Akiyama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I started out reading Shonen, first series were Naruto, Bleach, One Piece and Bakuman, one of the easiest to read and overall fun stories. Then I moved into Seinen with my first series being Liar Game, Pluto and Gantz.. I soon realized these weren't your ordinary kids manga. These have some great stories and that's what I look for the most. But now I have ventured into more areas and have read some of Nodame Cantibile for Josei and Kimi ni Todoke for shojo. I read tons of Shonen just because scans are widely available but Seinen is one of my favorites.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Revilenigma's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Mostly seinen (first was BLAME!) especially dramas and anything obscure like the genki and garo-esque stuff but I do occasionally read some shonen, usually weekly series like bleach and bakuman and some old stuff, and sometimes josei with series like dawn chill hands and dolls.
    http://i586.photobucket.com/albums/ss310/revilenigma/avatars%20and%20sigs/boxman.png

New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast