Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi

View Poll Results: What Demographics Do You Read

Voters
134. You may not vote on this poll
  • Shonen

124 92.54%
  • Seinen

98 73.13%
  • Shojo

40 29.85%
  • Josei

29 21.64%
  • Shonen Ai/Yaoi

21 15.67%
  • Shojo Ai/Yuri

12 8.96%
Multiple Choice Poll.
New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: What Demographics Do You Read?

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member Mushashi's Avatar
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What Demographics Do You Read?

shounen is too popular its nice to see seinen being so close though. interesting to see the majority of peoples reading habits. although mind isnt in the majority XD

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Rejuvenation's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A crap load of Shounen. It has its cliche elements and a number of them are incredibly bad(Looking at you Fairy Tail, Part 2 Naruto, and Bleach) but there are also a number of great titles in the demographic as well. I get loads of enjoyment from it. I'd have to in order to read over a hundred from the category.

Seinen, I haven't read as much. I've been saving a big list of Seinen to read for 2010. What I've read so far is limited to 10 chapters of Liar Game which were good and 30-40 chapters Tenjou Tenge which is extremely convoluted. Then again, it seems most of Oh Great!'s work is that way.

The only Shoujo I've read so far is D.N. Angel and I've watched the Kimi ni Todoke anime with my girlfriend. I'll read its manga soon.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

its full of cliche's but its still fun. i still read bakuman naruto one peice bleach fma d gray man and claymore. i just read more seinen

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dissentniisama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Mainly Shounen, Seinen, and a small number of Shoujo Ai/Yuri (if you don't count the prodigious amount of said-themed Touhou doujin, anyway).

However, I wonder sometimes about the demographic names. You ever wonder how some decidedly-shounen and seinen titles end up getting marketed as Shoujo (or simply 'for girls' if it doesn't get buzz-labeled) over here? ADV is notorious for doing that with their listings on Anime Network, and I've also seen it done for some manga that gets published. Just because females might make up a good portion of the main cast of a series doesn't mean it's shoujo. Do Mahoromatic, Rozen Maiden, or Magikano really look that much like they were targeted towards girls? I didn't think so.

Even with the above paragraph in mind, I'm really not sure where to place some of the stuff I read. It's not exactly the typical shounen action fare (since most of it is comedy or romantic comedy), and often it's not really mature or dark enough for me to say it's seinen. Pretty much that vacuum between the two - maybe 'older shounen' or 'younger seinen'? I don't know. There are solid entries on both sides I peruse, though. I do regularly read Bleach for the pure shounen action stuff, and I'm about halfway through Kodomo no Jikan on the seinen side (and I already mentioned Mahoromatic and Rozen Maiden; you could also throw Elfen Lied in there, too). I'd also wager practically any manga or anime adaptation of an 18+ visual novel has license to be filed under seinen, even if the erotic content was excised from it. Except that I'm more inclined to play the original novel, as I did for Tsukihime.
    Last edited by dissentniisama; December 14, 2009 at 01:54 PM.

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

He wrote a novel! ^ elfen lied is awsome. and 18+ rarely gets filed under seinin just for this reason.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dissentniisama View Post
    However, I wonder sometimes about the demographic names. You ever wonder how some decidedly-shounen and seinen titles end up getting marketed as Shoujo (or simply 'for girls' if it doesn't get buzz-labeled) over here? ADV is notorious for doing that with their listings on Anime Network, and I've also seen it done for some manga that gets published. Just because females might make up a good portion of the main cast of a series doesn't mean it's shoujo. Do Mahoromatic, Rozen Maiden, or Magikano really look that much like they were targeted towards girls? I didn't think so.

Even with the above paragraph in mind, I'm really not sure where to place some of the stuff I read. It's not exactly the typical shounen action fare (since most of it is comedy or romantic comedy), and often it's not really mature or dark enough for me to say it's seinen. Pretty much that vacuum between the two - maybe 'older shounen' or 'younger seinen'? I don't know. There are solid entries on both sides I peruse, though. I do regularly read Bleach for the pure shounen action stuff, and I'm about halfway through Kodomo no Jikan on the seinen side (and I already mentioned Mahoromatic and Rozen Maiden; you could also throw Elfen Lied in there, too). I'd also wager practically any manga or anime adaptation of an 18+ visual novel has license to be filed under seinen, even if the erotic content was excised from it. Except that I'm more inclined to play the original novel, as I did for Tsukihime.
    Seinen/shonen/josei/shojo are marketing terms that apply to manga only. They denote what demographic a particular magazine is being marketed to. For fans like us they are handy ways of cataloging what we read without having to think "is it action, action/comedy, romance/slice of life/tragedy/comedy, etc". These designations don't apply to anime, light novels, and visual novels; those industries don't use those tags. Best way to know about magazines; for example, anything in Young Jump is seinen. It does not matter if it is romance, sci - fi, etc. Young Jump is marketed to college age men, so it is seinen. Rozen Maiden is seinen; it was original serialized in Comic Birz, now it is in Young Jump. Both are seinen anthologies. Just because a magazine is marketed at a particular demographic does not mean that is the who reads, or even a majority. The majority of Weekly Shonen Magazine's readers are 18 or older, that doesn't stop them from calling themselves shonen. The demographic tags at Mangaupdates are usually accurate.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dissentniisama's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten.Sama View Post
    Seinen/shonen/josei/shojo are marketing terms that apply to manga only. They denote what demographic a particular magazine is being marketed to. For fans like us they are handy ways of cataloging what we read without having to think "is it action, action/comedy, romance/slice of life/tragedy/comedy, etc". These designations don't apply to anime, light novels, and visual novels; those industries don't use those tags. Best way to know about magazines; for example, anything in Young Jump is seinen. It does not matter if it is romance, sci - fi, etc. Young Jump is marketed to college age men, so it is seinen. Rozen Maiden is seinen; it was original serialized in Comic Birz, now it is in Young Jump. Both are seinen anthologies. Just because a magazine is marketed at a particular demographic does not mean that is the who reads, or even a majority. The majority of Weekly Shonen Magazine's readers are 18 or older, that doesn't stop them from calling themselves shonen. The demographic tags at Mangaupdates are usually accurate.
    I know all of that, I was just musing on how perceptions seriously tint the way people view the terms and their demographics, along with the sub-point that the inane choices American distributors make in regard to those perceptions can screw even further with it. I just find it deeply amusing that several examples of shounen harem eye candy fare are marketed as essentially female empowerment series here.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Norway
    Post Thanks / Like

Giving me a demographics is a bit wrong thing to do, since I read almost everything there is.

Well, I started out with Naruto back in 2000 as my first manga. At that time I was more centred towards Shounen in Anime form (I.E: Inu Yasha, Naruto, Kenshin, Mahoromatic ++). As I started to get more interested in manga and anime, I went over in the sports world and started to explore it. To my amusement I liked it, so I wanted to go futher into it and I found Omanga/Hawks where I got blessed with the Seinen (Jirashin, Berserk, Leviathan and not to forget Living Game)

But I think it was around 2003/2004 I first started to jump into shoujo world with manga like Perfect Girl Evolution, Gong, X and etc. The humor got me off guard and I liked how they mixed goofy humor with art in some of the series, while other series like X where they really made some amazing characther developement. So I decided to jump little bit into Josei world, since Shoujo gave me more laughs then I had anticipated - So I went through some of the manga from the great people over at Condensation and I liked it. Sure, it was smutty at some point, but I liked it nevertheless.

So my lesson in all this, I think all demographics has something in offer in some form. I just about finding what you like and how you like it to be presentated - I am very art orientated and I'm driven my either story developement or combination of seeing the people in manga really strive to achieve their goals.

With that said, I can't really pick any of the demographics as the best or the worst. That's like choosing between my favorite meals, the only thing that changes is my mood and what I want that day.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

i read seinen and shonen , but of those two i like seinen the best

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Xadyu's Avatar
    Country
    Papua New Guinea
    Post Thanks / Like

I read them all, I started with shounen like the most here, to be exact, with a dutch version of Dragon Ball, only 2,99€ a volume, was worth it.

When I started reading online, and later, even starting wasting money on it, I read my first shoujo manga after a bunch of shounens, which was Hana Kimi, great manga, definitely.

But.. I don't read shoujo that often any more, the lay-outs and art disturb me quite a lot while reading. But, I usually read a short one now and then.

Shounen and Shoujo Ai are my least favorite, and that's because of the "Ai" part. Although I read quite a few of each category.

My favorite's are shounen and seinen, although I love a good romance story in a shoujo. But there's nothing better then a good ol' shounen series. My most favorite manga are even shounen, with an exception for Hana Kimi.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Indonesia
    Post Thanks / Like

Mainly shonen and seinen, with little shoujo and josei (only one or two i guess)

Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

ive just been picking up watever. F the tags.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Kusachu's Avatar
    Sasuke doesn't kill people, they fight him and then kill themselves.
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, I'll read any demographic if the story is good and grabs me. I've been watching anime since the early 90's, but my first manga, I'm going to have to say is Dragonball, but it's was wierd because I never even knew they came in tankoban. I started reading Dragonball in single chapter American 'comic' releases. The first manga I started seriously following was Naruto because before that I didn't have internet and there wasn't places like onemanga to read everything for free.

I read mostly shounen manga, but only because that genre seems to have the most popular titles, but I'm finding a lot of really good stories in other genres recently. Vampire Knight and Fruits Basket are great shojo. I really like gore/horror/psychological stuff, and also shonen ai type stuff like No Bra. The only category I haven't found anything I liked in is shojo-ai.

[TiDhA.info]
    "My heart was calm and still. Still and pure. However, it was purely evil. The only thing I desired was to grow stronger." ~Vegeta

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member shaheer's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

well, i guess i can put it this way, i dont judge much about the genre either, but my tastes are such that i dont like shojo(mainly due to artwork and some other stuffs) and yaoi/yuri stuffs, i am fine with shonen and seinen, in shonen i mostly like the ones those are targeted for the late teens, cuz the story is much more grasping and appealing.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Crude's Avatar
    Country
    Portugal
    Post Thanks / Like

I think I've read mostly everything, except for Yaoi and Yuri (although there are yuri elements in a lot of series I read). I'm a very shounen person, though I hate anything painfully generic. I tend to prefer more psychological seinen series, even if I really enjoy Berserk and Gantz. I haven't read that much shoujo, but I did really enjoy Skip Beat! and I like other series like LoveCom and Vampire Knight (which surprised me with how sensual it was). Josei really interests me (even if I haven't read much) due to maturity and comedy of the series I've read/seen. If I were to pick which of the demographics handles romance the best, I'd have to say Josei.

New Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast