Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (8/11/14 - 8/17/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Bleach 592 by BadKarma , Gintama 506 (2)
New Reply
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Rurouni Kenshin by Watsuki Nobuhiro

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Philippine
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Rurouni Kenshin Discussion

i originally got into RK after watching a few episodes of the anime. it was great at first, then the filler episodes came, and they were just plain awful. no wonder they pulled it from TV. i just hope that the animators naruto and bleach don't make the same mistake (i've stopped watching naruto, because i just can't take the fillers anymore).

i just finished reading all of the RK manga yesterday, and i have to say, it's the best i've read so far (although i REALLY need to read more manga). it's a shame that the jinchuu/revenge arc was not animated, because it was incredible, but i agree with most of the people here in that the kyoto arc is still a *little* better. what's really unique about this manga is that it's managed to give us epic battles without having to resort to the "power up syndrome" that seems to plague most others. and rather showing a plain battle between good and evil, it shows a battle between people defending their beliefs, so that you can't help but respect (or even sympathize wth) all the characters, whether they are heroes or villains.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

1. Where are you in the story? How did you get into RK?

Finished the manga, but watched the anime first

2. Favorite character?

The one and only, Himura Kenshin

3. Favorite point in the story?

the moment hiten-mitsurugi ryu became a human slayer

4. Favorite battle?

all kenshin's battle are amazing

5. Your overall opinion of RK?

The best manga I have ever read..before Naruto showed up.

6. (If you have watched the anime and read the manga both) Which is better, the manga or anime?

Like always, manga is much better.. anime has too many side stories

But really i must admit, this is a really very good manga, especially the kyoto-tragedy..

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member dEr HüHnChEnBeScHwÖrEr's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Think so, too.

Intl Translator 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Whew, ressurection of an old thread...

question:

Why does Kenji not like his father
    Spoiler show

Itachi's Hat Maker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted kadoman's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Ah...yes.  Those types of questions are notoriously difficult to answer because they are not from canon.  That particular OVA was not based on anything written by Watsuki (who also, did not approve of its ending).  Ultimately, it amounts to little more than filler or fanfiction.

But anyway...Kenji does not like his father because he feels let down and abandoned as a result of his father spending a lot of time away from home, going off to fight various causes.  In particular, Kenji feels that his father has let down his mother and left her all alone
    Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member glasskatana's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kadoman
    Ah...yes. Those types of questions are notoriously difficult to answer because they are not from canon. That particular OVA was not based on anything written by Watsuki (who also, did not approve of its ending). Ultimately, it amounts to little more than filler or fanfiction.

But anyway...Kenji does not like his father because he feels let down and abandoned as a result of his father spending a lot of time away from home, going off to fight various causes. In particular, Kenji feels that his father has let down his mother and left her all alone
    Spoiler show
    exactly, especially the spoiler-tagged part. Plus there's no way Kenshin would be able to leave home to fight because
    Spoiler:  WARNING DO NOT READ THIS IF YOU HAVEN'T FINISHED THE MANGA YET!!!! show
    so there.

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah, okay, I know that, but what you say is what he felt in the OVA, I don't know if this is also applicable to the manga.

My guess is that Kenji does not like
    Spoiler show
    That is my theory.

The theory about that he felt abandoned and things like that was clearly mentioned in the OVA.

But indeed, good points.

Added a spoiler tag for certain parts.....in case someone has not see the anime that far etc. ~ TL

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Oh, okay.  No, it's not applicable to the manga.  Watsuki  leaves it up to the fans to decide how he grows up and how he turns out. 

I personally ignore that last OVA.  I think it was badly made, the characters badly misrepresented and the ending not in keeping with the mangaka's wishes.

P.S - maybe GK can help out here, but I would've thought with Kenshin being as old as it is, there wasn't a real need for spoiler tags anymore?

Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

heh, yeah the last OVA was a little bit... off... however I think that the last one was the best OVA, maybe because I like drama more than just pure violence... however, I DO think that the makers of the last OVA's could have done more about the end...

But it really was the right end of the serie, in my oppinion, only
    Spoiler: major content show

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

I like drama too and if I'd seen that OVA knowing absolutely nothing about Kenshin the series, I'd have thought it was great. But as a tribute to the series...man...they failed. Even Watsuki didn't like it! Ha!

Spoiler show

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member ILUVATAR's Avatar
    Country
    Greece
    Post Thanks / Like

1 - I have finished the manga. i was always addicted to anything that had anything to do with katana's and especially "weird" ones (Sakabato - reverse edged katana).
    Spoiler show

2 - My favorite Character is Yahiko tee-hee.
    Spoiler show

3 - Kenshin's Black Out
    Spoiler show

4 - Kenshin's Battle with his master Hiko (the guy just OWND ) to take the succesion techniks...
    5 - Best complete manga series. it was a beautifull work of art to the very end of it
    6 - i cannot be objective on this matter. each side had his advantages and his disadvantages. allthough i choose the manga as better i must say that the anime was somehow equal (if we exclude the fillers :P) movement sometimes and in certain moments can exceed imagination. there were some moments in the manga that i would "KILL" to see them in motion (battles etc.)
    *When you laugh, it's as though the world becomes, just a little, a nicer place.
    *Being alone is scary. Solitude is scary.
    *I have rushed here, when i was summoned. Because you were crying. You were sobbing as if you were screaming.
    *The nights that morning will never come doesn't exist.
    *More than anyone could ever admire you, this is the definite truth, I like you...
    *Because you are like the sky, causing me pain in love... because I love you.
    *Did you hear? Did i reach you?

Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone else recently purchased their copy of vol 28 - final installment in the series?

I can't bring myself to read it yet! Ha! I've read it before of course, long ago, but reading it online and holding it in your little hands are different and I feel a bit choked up about the story 'ending' all over again for me! I think Kenshin is one of the greatest manga stories ever told. This last arc in particular is absolutely heartbreaking! Bittersweet it is. Ah well. My first manga series in full!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member glasskatana's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kadoman
    Anyone else recently purchased their copy of vol 28 - final installment in the series?

I can't bring myself to read it yet! Ha! I've read it before of course, long ago, but reading it online and holding it in your little hands are different and I feel a bit choked up about the story 'ending' all over again for me! I think Kenshin is one of the greatest manga stories ever told. This last arc in particular is absolutely heartbreaking! Bittersweet it is. Ah well. My first manga series in full!
    That reminds me, I have to go to Barnes and Noble to buy it. Thanks for posting that Kadoman. :igh:: that will be the end of quite possibly, one of the best manga series of all time.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Yep, also my first full manga series. Hehee. But haven't gotten 28 yet. Shall do that ASAP!

Still, I have to admit it's nice to see a conclusion to a manga every now and then, some manga series really do go on for way too long.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Country
    Egypt
    Post Thanks / Like

RK is the best anime/manga ever made in my opinion.I have read it and watched it and until now i get excited when i see it, I recommend everyone to read the manga or watch the anime

New Reply
Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast