Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (6/30/14 - 7/6/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
New Reply
Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 681

Thread: Otaku Theater: Anime Hangout

  1. #1
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    19,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Otaku Theater: Anime Hangout

    Sorta like the Movie Thread but it's about anime.

    I've been watching the Samurai Champloo subs for the last few days and have been enjoying it.

    The reason why I started watching it? Over in the '20 or 50 Things About Yourself: Discussion Thread,' hiko had recommended it to me, and then my friend Pat recommended it as well, so hey, I decided might as well give it a shot.

    I haven't regretted it; I like all the three central characters, Mugen, Jin, and Fuu. Each are charming in their own way and I think I like Jin the best, if only because it's so amusing to see him react to the silliest things if only because he's so quiet most of the time. I just love his character. The animation is great, and I always love a series where you can follow the travels of three adventurers from city to city. The story is OK, could have been better, but the the great quality of the first episode hooked me enough that I wanted to follow them the whole way.

    I'm currently on Episode 18, which I think is the beginning of the second season. In all I believe there are 26 episodes so I guess I'm almost done with the series. My favorite episode so far is Episode 15, because it was a lot of fun. Episode 11, 'Gamblers and Gallantry' was another one I quite liked, for a different reason.

    Anyway, I'm planning to try Cowboy Bebop next because I've been listening to some friends argue about which one is better: Samurai Champloo or Cowboy Bebop? And yeah, I know this might be shocking, but I haven't seen the latter yet. It's mostly because I'm VERY new to anime. Previously, before Samurai Champloo, the only three anime I've watched to this point has been Naruto, Bleach, and Inu Yasha. Though I have seen the first episodes of Basilisk, Black Cat, and Eyeshield 21 too.

    Anyway, how about you? Are you watching any anime these days? What's the last anime you've watched? What would you recommend?

  2. #2
    Meijin no Kori
    Guest

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    Other than Bleach and Naruto, I am currently watching (and am up to date with) and reccomend two animies: Beet The Vandel Buster and The Law of Ueki.

    Beet the Vandel Buster:


    Summary:
    v1:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=4347
    Quote Quote:
    It is the dark century and the people are suffering under the rule of the devil, Vandel, who is able to manipulate monsters. The Vandel Busters are a group of people who hunt these devils, and among them, the Zenon Squad is known to be the strongest busters on the continent. A young boy, Beet, dreams of joining the Zenon Squad. However, one day, as a result of Beet's fault, the Zenon squad was defeated by the devil, Beltose. The five dying busters sacrificed their life power into their five weapons, Saiga. After giving their weapons to Beet, they passed away. Years have passed since then and the young Vandel Buster, Beet, begins his adventure to carry out the Zenon Squad's will to put an end to the dark century.
    v2:
    Quote Quote:
    (Summary of Vol. 1 Of The Manga
    It's the Century Of Darkness, a grim age when monsters and demons known as Vandels use their terrible strength and magical powers to destroy human society.

    The Vandel Busters are a roving band of certified monster destroyers. Beet's biggest ambition in life is to become a Buster, but what can you say about a monster hunter who can barely stand the pain when he recieves the brand of a 'Level 1 Vandel Buster'?
    Still, Beet is ready for action, and when a nearby town is invaded by demons, he rushes to help - without a clue as to how to trounce even a single member of the rampaging horde. But not knowing just how formidable the Vandels are might work out to his advantage because he doesn't know enough to be scared! Beet is about to learn that being a hero may be more than he bargained for...
    Details:
    Ongoing shonen series that is being subbed.

    Where to download?
    http://a.scarywater.net/akeep/ (Currently up to Episode 45).


    The Law of Ueki:


    Summary:
    http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ency...me.php?id=5063
    Quote Quote:
    Kousuke Ueki, a student of the Hinokuni Junior High School, is picked by a God Candidate, Koba-sen, to participate in a competition where people battle out to become God and only the strongest will prevail. Embodied with the ability to turn garbage into trees, Kousuke will be joining in the battle against other junior high school students in this selection. This sets the premise for the earth-friendly battle where the students will pit their powers against the rest.
    Details:
    Ongoing Shonen series that is being subbed.

    Where to download?
    Bittorent: http://www.shinsen-subs.org/?page=distro
    IRC: #shinsen-subs@irc.rizon.net Packlist: http://bot.page.us/

    Currently up to Episode 34 (wich I just noticed was out.)

    Sorry, that's all I have time to write right now.

  3. #3
    MH Senpai 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Country
    Germany
    Posts
    1,583
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    Hey GoldKnight! I'm also watching Samurai Champloo! But I'm only to ep 09.
    It's quite great - I like the funky style of this ninja style anime.
    Other than that I do my share of Naruto and Bleach....

  4. #4
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Posts
    14
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    heya.. i watched cowboy bebop a while back, and i thought it was really good! definitely worth it! it didnt seem as great at the time, but looking back i really miss it. the storys really good and so are the characters, and its just really well animated as well. theres a movie as well which is also really good. i havent seen samurai champloo but a friend recommended it to me, saying that its like cowboy bebop but with ninjas and stuff.

    im currently watching naruto and bleach (well not really coz of the fillers), black cat, blood+ (just got into it) and am about to start watching 3x3 eyes which apparently is quite an old series which a friend lent me but is supposedly amazing. ive also seen quite a few other series, like hunter x hunter, which is long, but it gets really good after a bit and mai hime which is also really good at the end (altho a bit of an annoying last ep).

    i was watching the law of ueki, but seriously.. i got so annoyed with it after a while that i couldnt be bothered anymore. its just so cheesy and cliched. but anyway, yeh.. watch more anime! i definitely recommend you continue to watch black cat, and theres a few other drama type animes which are really good. azumanga daioh is hilarious and cute, and fruits basket is great as well. oh and full metal alchemist! you gotta watch that!

  5. #5
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    30
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    Samurai Champloo is a great series. All three of the main characters are really likeable. And damn what an awesome soundtrack!!!

    I am currently One Piece obsessed. Other than that I haven't found much else at school that's worth the bother of trying to download on my horrible bandwidth. ;__; Curse you highrise dorms!

  6. #6
    Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    87
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    I love Samurai Champloo. I've seen the whole thing, and even though Champloo has a better silly-out-of-storyline episode (the baseball one), I still like Cowboy Bebop slightly better. Plus, it's almost as though Samurai Champloo's ending was written as a reaction to Bebop's ending;
    Spoiler show


    The only current series I'm watching (besides Naruto) is Yakitate!! Japan. It's amazingly funny, lightheared fare, but I'd reccommend people look into the manga and read that first, especially since it looks as though the anime is going to end before the manga does.
    [img width=282 height=170]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v211/devomania/smallfingers.jpg[/img]

  7. #7
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member conan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Country
    Jordan
    Age
    29
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    613
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    well since we are on samurai has any one seen samurai 7, i just finished watching the serie,dont really know how to describe it, it a story that combines peasents and merchants ,war and samurai,love and honour,with some sword action.

    i have also seen samurai kyo, i was amazed how they twisted a true story in such a way, never the less i loved it, i thought it was a good story with lots of thrilling action
    and.

    i havent seen samurai champaloo but since everyone seems to like it, i think i ll give it a try later on.
    "Fighting was the only thing I was good at,but at least I always fought for what I believed in",Solid Snake and Gray Fox.
    watch some of the worlds best martial artists show their abilities in this thread http://mangahelpers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5582

  8. #8
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    34
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    Champloo is very entertaining.

    Samurai 7 is an anime adaptation of Kurosawas Seven Samurai ne?

    Currently, Im watching Mirumo de Pon. Its a shoujo anime, and its very cute. XD
    Fruits Basket is so funny.

  9. #9
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    19,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Miso
    Hey GoldKnight! I'm also watching Samurai Champloo! But I'm only to ep 09.
    It's quite great - I like the funky style of this ninja style anime.
    Other than that I do my share of Naruto and Bleach....
    Awesome! I just finished Champloo a while ago and started watching Cowboy Bebop. I really enjoyed Champloo and I think you'll want to finish it. Though there were a couple of episodes I wasn't too crazy about - Epsiode 22, 'Cosmic Collisons' and Episode 23, the baseball episode, though that one was supposed to be zany. But the last three episodes of the series were worth it.

    And I love the funky style, it's sooo awesome.

    Quote Originally Posted by tamachan3
    heya.. i watched cowboy bebop a while back, and i thought it was really good! definitely worth it! it didnt seem as great at the time, but looking back i really miss it. the storys really good and so are the characters, and its just really well animated as well. theres a movie as well which is also really good. i havent seen samurai champloo but a friend recommended it to me, saying that its like cowboy bebop but with ninjas and stuff.
    I've been watching Cowboy Bebop lately, and I didn't really like it until Faye Valentine joined the team, which was episode 4. After that I started really getting into it. But I do like Spike and Jet too, it was just a bit boring between the two of them until Faye entered the picture. Episode 5 was really intense though.

    Quote Originally Posted by devo
    I love Samurai Champloo. I've seen the whole thing, and even though Champloo has a better silly-out-of-storyline episode (the baseball one), I still like Cowboy Bebop slightly better. Plus, it's almost as though Samurai Champloo's ending was written as a reaction to Bebop's ending;
    Spoiler show
    *Shouldn't have clicked spoiler there* XD Oh well.

  10. #10
    Scientist of Anthropology 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Predator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    御伽の国
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    There are a few I didn't find in the upper posts, like Shaman King and GTO. Same as Full Metal Alchemist those are already finished series. I've them on my permanent archive along with Naruto and StarGate Atlantis (not the kind tho).
    Shaman King is somewhat similar to Bleach in my opinion, but those other two are genres on their own.
    Well..... yeah, that's about it.

  11. #11
    vs. The World. 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Hermie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Country
    Norway
    Age
    25
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,845
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    I am currently going through the save Sasuke arc of Naruto.

    I have finished FMA, and Bleach is on hold while I decide wether to watch the fillers or not.

    Next up will be either the Gundam series, Samurai Champloo, Black Cat or maybe Cowboy Bepop if I can get my hands on it.

  12. #12
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    19,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    ^ I actually just finished watching the arc of Save Sasuke a while ago. They really didn't do a good job of making the middle of that arc exciting at all. I mean, they did a good job on Chouji vs Jidanbou but after that it was kinda pathetic until Rock Lee started fighting Kimimaro. In all I think the manga is a heckuva lot better experience.

    Predator_U, I'm reading Shaman King and only glimpsed a few episodes, but I have the impression that one is better experienced as an anime, kinda like Yu Yu Hakusho. But I'm not sure I am enjoying the 'Shaman Tournament' much - I can see why you would think it would be similar to Bleach in that respect but I suppose I just like the characters in Bleach a heckuva lot better.

  13. #13
    Scientist of Anthropology 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Predator's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    御伽の国
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Age
    28
    Posts
    3,301
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    Well, got to admit... I've only read a few Shaman king mangas and don't know the ending there, but the anime is only 64 episodes long and makes it a lot more convinient. No signs of of permanent influence on me (can't say the same about bro tho, but that's not the thing).
    Come to think of it, I haven't even encountered FMA manga as well. I only went through the anime and that's it. Overdose can kill, so I didn't even try. Same to GTO, where I only read the final chapter of manga because the anime conclusion...... takes behind chin.

    What I wanted to say is that it's not bad to watch only anime (I know some won't agree). It saves time and nerves. And this thread is exactly about the animes which are as good or better than mangas. Am I right?

  14. #14
    Meijin no Kori
    Guest

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Predator_U
    And this thread is exactly about the animes which are as good or better than mangas. Am I right?
    No. Animes=Too many fillers and messing with storylines.
    But other than that, then yeah, I agree with you.

  15. #15
    MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Posts
    19,202
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: The Anime Thread!

    Quote Originally Posted by Predator_U
    Come to think of it, I haven't even encountered FMA manga as well. I only went through the anime and that's it. Overdose can kill, so I didn't even try. Same to GTO, where I only read the final chapter of manga because the anime conclusion...... takes behind chin.
    Btw, FMA anime is quite different from the manga from what I know.

    Quote Quote:
    What I wanted to say is that it's not bad to watch only anime (I know some won't agree). It saves time and nerves. And this thread is exactly about the animes which are as good or better than mangas. Am I right?
    Usually the rule is - the original is always better. In case of Cowboy Bebop the anime is better than the manga, but that's how it started. In case of Naruto, the manga is better. I haven't seen an exception to this rule so far.

    But sometimes the anime can be very well done ( Bleach in my opinion is one ) that it can measure up pretty well to its original incarnation.

New Reply
Page 1 of 46 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts