Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Otaku Theater: Anime Hangout

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: The Anime Thread!

I was watching Eden's Bowy, but my husband finished it first and said that I wouldn't like the ending... It has been having problems story-wise. I've seen about half of it. While I like the characters and story, the execution of it is kinda poor. So I probably won't finish it since there's so much else for me to watch.

So I'm in the middle of Princess Nine. Really good, really strong characters and story. I don't normally like sports anime/manga, but I forget that it's not as much about the sport as the team and characters and conflicts.

I'm also in the middle of Yu Yu Hakusho, well actually towards the end. I'm watching the last boxset, but I don't know which episode. So far, YYH has been much better as an anime than manga.

Meijin no Kori

Just finished watching the .hack//Legend of the Twilight Bracelet anime today. It was interesting, but I think I like the manga version a bit better.

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

i just finishing ichigo 100%

its a light comady romance. with a harem type stroyline (number of girls liking the main character) then we see personal/character development.
    i actually really enjoyed it. and so did my partner, who i should mention is not a anime fan, so far as to say she didnt even like naruto but she enjoyed this for some reason.

personal opininon is no way on heavens earth does it even come close to narutos league, but i would recommand it if you like harem animes e.g. love hina, ranma, girls bravo, fruits basket, etc etc
    just to note i just wartched the anime and did not like the ending, hence why im reading the manga now as they have different endings, im halfway through so far, and manga is so much better
    <br /><br /><br />
    Spoiler: LOL show

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member
    Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Watched "The Cat Returns" at Ruri's recommendation - it was pretty good, some very amusing moments Fun to see what a "Cat Kingdom" would be like...

Anax, be sure to try that one out sometimes, you'll like it :P

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Ayah's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Just finished watching Beck, though I might re-watch it again since I missed some parts (My brother was the one who set the pace in watching it). Engrish aside (especially with the songs), I think I've never seen any other anime with so much codeswitching (mixing 2 languages in the same dialogue)! It's amusing to hear some characters cussing in English at one moment then speaking in Japanese right after, though the use was lessened in later episodes. It's also odd that John Lennon would speak English with a Japanese accent in a dream

I thought this would simply be just about a boy's self-journey triggered by getting himself involved in a band but there's more to that. Koyuki (the protagonist) is still the main concern but I never expected Ryuusuke (a main character) to have a significant part in the story after Koyuki joins the crew. The way the story went, Ryuusuke did not get overshadowed by Koyuki. I just wish there is something more to be learned about Taira (the bassist) and Saku (the drummer). Chiba (yet another band member) got his share. I don't know if there is any other anime or manga title that tackles the rock music scene with integrated friendship and coming-of-age themes as deeply as Beck, but I like it.

<3 glasskatana for the sig
    Tayo na sa Sineskwela Pinoy Hangout Thread v.16!

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member okyatoks's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Link here to get Anime-Manga Torrents:

http://datorrents.com/browse.asp

(Well some of you might know this site already... but, for those who don't...)

Itachi's Hat Maker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted kadoman's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Have just watched the first 4 episodes of Samurai 7.

It's well worth a look so far. The fusion of ancient and futuristic works well (a bit like Trigun) and the story is engaging enough (peasants vow to hire samurai to save their village from bandits who take all their rice).

Gonzo is responsible for the animation, so that is top notch - total quality. Lots of attention to detail, in background, and particularly, background characters, who have all been drawn and coloured with painstaking detail to make them appear like real individuals and not just 'crowd filler'.

Attention is also paid to some genuinely eye catching camera angles and things like having a member of the crowd 'look at the camera' , and having people walk in front of the main characters, paritally obscuring them, adds a nice documentary touch. There's a couple of Godfather type scenes, whereby characters talk, but we don't see them, because the camera is focused on something or someone else entirely.

Only gripe I've got is that one of the characters looks like Vash the Stampede having a bad hair day, but I guess I'll get used to it (espeically as this Vash is nothing like Trigun's Vash - nooo siree...he's got bad attitude to match his bad hair, so he's good to watch). Check it out.

=D 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Tamerlane's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I just saw the Samurai 7 videos while I was out at the store and I was wondering what they were about. Thanks for the summary, I may pick it up and check it out then.

Currently I am finishing up Last Exile which is also done by Gonzo so the animation is also very beautiful. I can not say that I am really getting into the story too much though. It is follows the story of a young pilot and his friend as they encounter a rebel group and get involved and end up fighting with them. There is a lot more to it than that but that is the basic storyline. The anime has a lot of politics in it especially towards the end and maybe it is just me but it seems to be focusing more on that then actual character development. =/

I am not too sure what I am going to start up after this. I have a few suggestions of maybe X1999 or finally finishing up Elfen Lied.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

I might give Samurai 7 a look as well. Thanks, kadoman

Elfen Lied, odd name...

Meijin no Kori

Well, I finally finished watching the Yu Yu Hakusho anime recently. It was pretty good. I wish there were more eps, but meh. I liked the ending though.

I'm currently watching the Witch Hunter Robin anime (watched the first twelve episodes so far). So far, it's pretty good. and I'm going to log off and watch episode 13 (the episode title/preview intrigued me).

Scientist of Anthropology 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Predator's Avatar
    Country
    Isle of Man
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Gold Knight
    Elfen Lied, odd name...
    Why? It's a very fitting name. "Lied" is an ancient germanic word for "song". Most poeple recognize the name deriving it form "Niebelungen Lied" which is part of German folklore. And "Elfen" can be written as "Elven" referring to elves.

I've seen only fragments and those might even not be the ones from it, but I like to watch something unusual time by time (same as playing Zelda).

Have we ever included GTO in our discussion? I posted it before, I think. But "revising is knowing".

=D 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Tamerlane's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Elfen Lied gets my vote for the most beautiful opening song.

Then that is immediatly destroyed by the excessive violence and total unpredictibility of the story. It keeps you guessing though, I never had any idea of what was going to happen next. I think that I stopped at episode 7 last summer and I still need to finish it. >_>

Spoiler: Thoughts on Elfen Lied show

Itachi's Hat Maker MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted kadoman's Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Predator_U
    Why? It's a very fitting name. "Lied" is an ancient germanic word for "song". Most poeple recognize the name deriving it form "Niebelungen Lied" which is part of German folklore. And "Elfen" can be written as "Elven" referring to elves.
    Thanks for that explanation, I've been wondering about it for a while.

And now I want to check out Elfin Lied just to see how violent it really is! Ha! So that will be next on my list P.S -
    Spoiler show

Also, I too, struggled a bit with Last Exile. It's a great story but yeah, towards the end, it gets bogged down in Star Wars type politics at the expense of character development. It's still worthy viewing however.

Country
    Abu Dhabi
    Post Thanks / Like

Ditto, didn't know the Germanic meaning.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member okyatoks's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Predator_U
    There are a few I didn't find in the upper posts, like Shaman King and GTO. Same as Full Metal Alchemist those are already finished series.
    Hey I like GTO and Shaman King as well... I'm also into Mecha animes (a bit in the oldies perhaps... Astoboy, Mazinger Z, Mekanda Robot, UFO Grendaizer, Getta or Getter Robot, Laserion, Jeeg Robot, Balatak, Macross/Robotech, Star Blazers, Daimos, a bit of Gundam..."I've watched them when I was a kid") plus Samurai X, DBZ, Ranma 1/2, Battle of the Planets (G-Force)... (kinda lame-o list)

And I'm currently watching Gunslinger Girl... (a bit pessimistic and depressing)... Just got through Ep.3

New Reply
Page 3 of 46 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 13 ... LastLast