Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 489 by kewl0210 , One Piece 744 by cnet128 , Naruto 672 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 576 (2)
New Reply
Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast

Thread: Otaku Theater: Anime Hangout

Pink Warrior 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member baboysai's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Otaku Theater: Anime Hangout

yeah I liked it better than Summer Wars, tbh.

Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    yeah I liked it better than Summer Wars, tbh.
    Way better for me. Summer Wars was good but I prefer the setting of Ame to Yuki a lot more (guess that makes sense when you're an educator XD). I wasn't captivated by that virtual reality thing and the whole plot felt way too unreal for me, especially considering the realistic style of art. I just couldn't take the story as serious as it would have been necessary (in my opinion).

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I think Summer Wars ought to have that surreal feeling anyway. I enjoyed it in a certain way, and had to watch more than once to really appreciate it. It's when you're not focusing too much on the plot that you get to notice the beautiful details of the movie, like the ancestral house and its features, the old family history and their "old rich" claims (which kind of made them really able to do many things for the plot in the end), the relationships within the family that I could relate to (belonging to a big family myself).

Those were what brought the movie together, not the plot, imo. But I ranked Wolf Children 9.5/10, hehe. almost perfect. Maybe I found some things a bit open ended, like the relationship with the grumpy old man, (which I thought played a bigger role ! !), or wished for a more flexible decision on Ame's part.

Smiling Moe Hunter 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Band of the Hawks 2
    Post Thanks / Like

Personally I prefer Summer Wars over Ame to Yuki , but I agree that Ame to Yuki superior in some extent; It has more in-depth storytelling compared to Summer Wars. Everything about it seems perfect, and most people always have soft spot for tear-jerking Anime, so it's understandable why the majority love Ame to Yuki more than Summer Wars.

5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

im currently on episode 5 of durarara

and i must say, it is very unique

its not every day that you see an anime, that is absolutely different from every other anime

its more like a long movie than an anime. anyone who has not seen it MUST watch it, i dont see how any fan of any genre would not find this anime fascinating

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kisame Hoshigaki View Post
    im currently on episode 5 of durarara

and i must say, it is very unique

its not every day that you see an anime, that is absolutely different from every other anime

its more like a long movie than an anime. anyone who has not seen it MUST watch it, i dont see how any fan of any genre would not find this anime fascinating
    It is indeed a unique one, you can't help but get curious about it, but at the same time I guess it can make people stop watching it because at the beginning it was rather vague and not clear where the plot is going. As the series goes we get to know the characters, more insight to the plot, and so on. I think I was rather bored of the story until almost first half of the series, not sure what was going on.

8. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

well I got curious about this Durarara, and figured I'll watch the anime instead of reading the manga, for the main reason that the manga is not fully scanlated.

Also, apparently Poppy Hill was released 2012? Has anybody seen this Ghibli movie yet? Reviews anyone?

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

well I got curious about this Durarara, and figured I'll watch the anime instead of reading the manga, for the main reason that the manga is not fully scanlated.

Also, apparently Poppy Hill was released 2012? Has anybody seen this Ghibli movie yet? Reviews anyone?
    I think Durarara is an original light novel, so you could read those first but yeah, the anime is good enough for the "first exposure".

Hmm, i would say that Poppy Hill is a cute and charming movie that is lacking the depth and uniqueness of Ghibli´s best movies. That´s not surprising though since 1) it´s an adaption of a non-Ghibli manga and 2) the director is Goro, Hayao Miyazaki´s son, who is nowhere near his father yet.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    It is indeed a unique one, you can't help but get curious about it, but at the same time I guess it can make people stop watching it because at the beginning it was rather vague and not clear where the plot is going. As the series goes we get to know the characters, more insight to the plot, and so on. I think I was rather bored of the story until almost first half of the series, not sure what was going on.
    i agree 100%

the beginning is a bit slow or should i say a bit broad
    vague does describe it well

but when it all starts coming together

WOW

absolutely epic

its almost like a blend between pulp fiction and snatch with a few other movies maybe

---------- Post added at 04:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by MiyamotoMusashi View Post
    I think Durarara is an original light novel, so you could read those first but yeah, the anime is good enough for the "first exposure".

Hmm, i would say that Poppy Hill is a cute and charming movie that is lacking the depth and uniqueness of Ghibli´s best movies. That´s not surprising though since 1) it´s an adaption of a non-Ghibli manga and 2) the director is Goro, Hayao Miyazaki´s son, who is nowhere near his father yet.
    correct the original durarara was in the light novel format
    Last edited by REN KOUEN; May 21, 2013 at 04:54 PM.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

I also happen to kind of like the slice-of-life movies of Ghibli, but it is really not their strongest. They are a bit lack-luster. Entertaining, but forgettable. So I don't have high expectations for Poppy Hill, just want to check it out.

Well speaking of "recent" releases, after Ponyo I didn't watch any other after. What was next after that, Arriety? Because, when I watched Ponyo I was like, mindfucked or something. haha. I have to admit, I didn't appreciate it much because, I didn't get it. What were they trying to say? So after that I decided not to watch Arriety. -_-

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I found the Oricon light novel rankings on MAL last night, something I normally don't go looking for. It is interesting to see that multiple volumes of Oregairu and Hataraku Maou-Sama! are charting this week. I think that could be a good sign that both anime are doing well, and drawing a lot of interest among fans. It's not always easy to tell how popular anime are in Japan, but that does seem like a good indicator. I really like both series, hopefully this really does mean both anime are doing well.

16. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    I found the Oricon light novel rankings on MAL last night, something I normally don't go looking for. It is interesting to see that multiple volumes of Oregairu and Hataraku Maou-Sama! are charting this week. I think that could be a good sign that both anime are doing well, and drawing a lot of interest among fans. It's not always easy to tell how popular anime are in Japan, but that does seem like a good indicator. I really like both series, hopefully this really does mean both anime are doing well.
    Nice find Kait, I'm glad to see both charted. Just like you said it's probably a good sign that both anime are well-received.

And I believe the sales could be an indicator for which novels are likely to be animated. There are other factos too but good sales usually indicate an adaption at some point. If I look at the current ones, Biblia Koshodou no Jiken Techou seems to sell really well. Considering that most novels seem to wander around the 50k - 300k line, it's a big feat to sell around 600k (especially considering there's no anime to push the popularity). It was the second best selling series of the fiscal year 2012 - Full List.

On a totally unrelated note I'm happy to see OreImo among that full list. And Hyouka

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

It's a good bet if an LN sells well, it will get an adaption. LN have become such go to material for anime, I'm not sure a series even has to sell that well to earn an adaption. I'm not even looking at the sales figures for Oregairu and Hataraku, just that they are getting the same action as Shingeki is over on the manga charts. Interest is high enough to push catalog volumes back onto the charts. Oreimo and Hyouka are established series, no surprises there. I'm not surprised to see SAO, Index, and the Monogatari series charting either.
    Last edited by Kaiten; May 22, 2013 at 05:38 PM.

Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

any news on Makoto Shinkai's newest work? like, any files out or anything?

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

any news on Makoto Shinkai's newest work? like, any files out or anything?
    A preview was released a while ago that shows the first 5 minutes of the movie. You have to wait a while for the actual movie though, considering it will be reavealed on May 31 in Japan. The entire movie is going to be only 46 min long.

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 35 of 46 FirstFirst ... 25 33 34 35 36 37 45 ... LastLast