Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply
Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast

Thread: Otaku Theater: Anime Hangout

MH's Best Reviewer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Otaku Theater: Anime Hangout

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    Well now that Code Geass is releasing some kind of spinoff or alternate whatever, are you going to watch it?
    You mean the 4 Akito the Exiled OVAs?

If I remember right that's a side story type deal taking place between season 1 and season 2 of the original series. So I'll probably wait to see what people say about it first. I love the idea of more Code Geass but it seems like setting it in that time period is going to hamstring the plot big time. But we'll see.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for RPG fans]
    Black Haze [Esp. for Fairy Tail fans]
    Geukji High [Esp. for Kenichi fans.]
    Divine Bells [Esp. for Action/Comedy fans]
    Dragons Rioting [Esp. for Ecchi fans]

MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by baboysai View Post
    Well now that Code Geass is releasing some kind of spinoff or alternate whatever, are you going to watch it?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    You mean the 4 Akito the Exiled OVAs?

If I remember right that's a side story type deal taking place between season 1 and season 2 of the original series. So I'll probably wait to see what people say about it first. I love the idea of more Code Geass but it seems like setting it in that time period is going to hamstring the plot big time. But we'll see.
    Based on the ANN article I linked previously, they said that Boukoku no Akito/Akito the Exiled actually took place when Lulu took the identity of 'Zero'. So it's actually parallel to what's happening in Season 1, or so I understand it. That's why in preview for second episode, we saw Suzaku.

I'm still curious, so I'll at least check this out until the end. Only 4 episodes anyway.

SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    It's them missing out of great series, not our problem.
    lol yeah. It's there free time, not my place to argue.

Quote Quote:
    I too watch less anime, but if I had to much time, I would probably watch just a much as before, not new series but rather those hundred+ waiting to be seen by me, my kids or grand children. haha Lost my love for fan-service heavy series, always prefered not to spend so much time to watch a series I've already read, felt like a waste of time, especially when it takes so much more time to watch than read the same content. There are some rather nice series this season, but many may be averted by the first appearance/promo shots. Well okay I like to watch Valvrave, so much cliche, but those mechs, got to love them .
    I've recently been watching more anime than ever. Nine series last spring, an OVA series, watching (sometimes re-watching) an older series. Even before I started watching more anime, I was reading a lot less manga, making up for the time. I tend to watch more currently airing anime, rather than catch up on older series. Thirty minutes a week is less demanding on my time than catching up on 12, 24, w/e number of episodes.

VVV is made of win. It's so ridiculous that it's almost impossible not to love. I will no doubt watch S2 in October.

That is one of the mistakes I see casual fans make, and something I use to do myself, in the past. It's impossible to decide what to watch based on genre, a few promo photo's, and a three sentence summary. Better to watch PV's, and make decisions based on staff, studio, and talent.

I went back and looked at the Fall 2006 Anime season, when Code Geass came out, to see just how much I was really watching back then. It's actually kind of amazing what else came out that season.
    • Black Blood Brothers (B-)
    • Death Note (A+)
    • Sumomomo Momomo (B+)
    • Busou Renkin (C+)
    • BLACK LAGOON The Second Barrage (A-)
    • Ghost Hunt (A+)
    • Pumpkin Scissors (B)

It's no wonder I watched so much back then.
    So many shounen adaptions that season. Fall 2006 seems to be the high water mark of Jump adaptions. Kanon, BL2, and Jigoku Shoujo were all great shows, but maybe not exactly classic. Code Geass was a classic, but not to my taste. Death Note may be among the most overrated manga/anime of all time. Overwrought, too dependent on increasingly ridiculous plot twists. I never saw Ghost Hunt, and will not judge. Overall, very little variety. Recent seasons have had so much more variety. Look at spring 2011, in comparison. Steins;Gate, Tiger and Bunny, Nichijou, AnoHana, HanaIro, and Gintama 2 all debuted that season. There were some other solid, entertaining series that season, like Kaminomi 2 and Ao no Exorcist. A much better mix of action, sci-fi, coming of age, comedy, and romance.

4. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Anime fandom seems to be in better shape than ever. Looking back over the last six or seven years, MAL and Animesuki are busier than ever, torrents are better seeded, and anime licenses are up in the States. Funi has even been reissuing older series on DVD/BD. Last year Adult Swim revived Toonami as a late night anime block, ratings have been excellent. Back when I watched anime on Adult Swim (2004 - 2007), the network did not hide the fact that ratings stunk.
    No doubt about it, there definitely is a strong anime fandom What I meant is that the fandom seems to be mostly made up of people who already are pretty invested. The fandom is slowly loosing casual fans because we lack something great that appeals to the big mass. The link you shared shows that the ratings are good for "generic" action series but I feel like a lot of people are getting tired of them (can't blame them lol). The ones loosing interest are mostly the people we both described and even though it's sad to see that they miss some great stuff it doesn't really bother or worry me.
    That's what I meant when I said slow trend, for now it's nothing too serious though, as long as the rest of the fandom is strongly invested.

I can think of a few recent crossover hits, in addition to SAO. Over the last three or four years Steins;Gate, Monogatari Series, and Drrr come to mind. It seems like there are fewer crossover series nowadays, and from a much narrower pool of styles. It used to be pretty common for bishoujo, school life, and romance anime to crossover. Suzumiya Haruhi and Lucky Star were huge, even among action fans. It seems like similar shows (Chuunibyou, Hyouka) are rejected by large segments of manga fandom based only on genre. It seems like there are even fewer "serious" anime crossing over. Shows like Psycho-Pass, Higashi no Eden, Railgun, Madoka Magica, and AnoHana probably would have crossed over had they come out in the mid-2000's, or earlier. Nowadays they have very little following among casual fans.
    True, it's not like there were no hits. Still none of the series you mentioned really caused a hype among an enourmous amount of people, like f.ex. Code Geass. The series definitely had/have a strong fanbase but not that much among casual fans. On the other hand when SAO started, the discussions here on MH and MAL practically exploded, everyone was all over it starting from the first episode. It's a shame, because all three series you mentioned are great, but it seems like casual fans really focus on one or two genres alone and need to be convinced with the Promo or the first episode =/ To sum it up, I pretty much agree with you.

Well, Shingeki may have the potential to become such a mainstream hit among western fans.

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    I'm actually rather different. I voted in that MU poll that I watched more anime than before these last few years, ever since I became more involved in manga/anime community like this which provides me updated info on new titles. But lately looking at the preview for next seasons, the number of anime I want to check is decreasing. There's a factor of me getting busy too, but the series themselves don't seem to be very interesting. Many of the awesome titles are adaptation, and most probably prefer to stick to the original work.
    Isn't that because you're rather limited when it comes to choosing anime titles vio? No offense, just my impression from what I've seen you watching There's no problem if someone only looks for a few specific categories but it makes you rule out some great series.

I went back and looked at the Fall 2006 Anime season, when Code Geass came out, to see just how much I was really watching back then. It's actually kind of amazing what else came out that season.
    • Black Blood Brothers (B-)
    • Death Note (A+)
    • Sumomomo Momomo (B+)
    • Busou Renkin (C+)
    • BLACK LAGOON The Second Barrage (A-)
    • Ghost Hunt (A+)
    • Pumpkin Scissors (B)
    Pretty much what I said to vio above, it looks like you're rather focused on specific genres or a certain type of show. I can say that, trying to stay as objective as possible, the last seasons provided us with great shows, I don't feel like the overall quality of anime has declined in any way. Ofc not every season gives you a lot of good series but most do. From the top of my head I only remember one season which was pretty average in my opinion (the last winter season IIRC, with Kotoura san, Problem children, etc.)

Based on the ANN article I linked previously, they said that Boukoku no Akito/Akito the Exiled actually took place when Lulu took the identity of 'Zero'. So it's actually parallel to what's happening in Season 1, or so I understand it. That's why in preview for second episode, we saw Suzaku.

I'm still curious, so I'll at least check this out until the end. Only 4 episodes anyway.
    I think you said this elsewhere vio but I found the first OVA to be pretty... boring. Not anywhere close to the level of the original Code Geass, the OVA was just disappointing. I will most likely check out the second OVA but it has to be better to keep me interested =/

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

So many shounen adaptions that season. Fall 2006 seems to be the high water mark of Jump adaptions. Kanon, BL2, and Jigoku Shoujo were all great shows, but maybe not exactly classic. Code Geass was a classic, but not to my taste. Death Note may be among the most overrated manga/anime of all time. Overwrought, too dependent on increasingly ridiculous plot twists. I never saw Ghost Hunt, and will not judge. Overall, very little variety. Recent seasons have had so much more variety. Look at spring 2011, in comparison. Steins;Gate, Tiger and Bunny, Nichijou, AnoHana, HanaIro, and Gintama 2 all debuted that season. There were some other solid, entertaining series that season, like Kaminomi 2 and Ao no Exorcist. A much better mix of action, sci-fi, coming of age, comedy, and romance.
    I agree that Death Note is overrated both as a manga and an anime honestly but I still think it was an A+.

Couldn't disagree more about the variety though.
    • Momomo and Black Lagoon were both Seinien. Momo pure ecchi. Lagoon a very gritty action show.
    • Busou Renken and Black Blood Brothers, admittedly, were your classic shounen action series.
    • Pumpkin Scissors was closer to a drama, reminiscent of Full Metal Alchemist (just not quite as good).
    • Ghost Hunt was actually based on a Shoujo manga and light novel series. It's a horror\thriller with only a tiny amount of action and a ton of spooky atmosphere.

I think there was quite a lot of variety, and quality, there. Not much in the way of Sci-fi but Code Geass supplied that along with providing an action epic.

My takeaway from the Spring 2011 season wasn't greater variety just less shows that pull interest. But tastes to vary maybe this lineup just goes along with your tastes better than it does mine.

Spoiler: In Spring 2011 the shows that caught me at the time were... show

I'll wait to see what you think.

Prequels and side stories are frequently disappointing to me because I love a show like Code Geass for it's characters and plot and when a show is working with a predetermined timeline it puts certain limitations on what the plot and characters can do. It's just really hard for one of those shows to be good IMO. But you never know.
    Last edited by Jammin; August 15, 2013 at 09:15 AM.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    Couldn't disagree more about the variety though.
    • Momomo and Black Lagoon were both Seinien. Momo pure ecchi. Lagoon a very gritty action show.
    • Busou Renken and Black Blood Brothers, admittedly, were your classic shounen action series.
    • Pumpkin Scissors was closer to a drama, reminiscent of Full Metal Alchemist (just not quite as a good).
    • Ghost Hunt was actually based on a Shoujo manga and light novel series. It's a horror\thriller with only a tiny amount of action and a ton of spooky atmosphere.

I think there was quite a lot of variety, and quality, there. Not much in the way of Sci-fi but Code Geass supplied that along with providing an action epic.
    Ultimately most of those are still variations of the same genre. No matter how much fanservice there was, Momomo was still action/martial arts. No matter how much drama, Pumpkin Scissors was still an action anime. Black Lagoon (a great series) may have been grittier, but it was still action. Even Code Geass was an action oriented mecha anime. Ghost Hunt adds a little variety, same with Jigoku Shoujo. Horror/Mystery does not add that much variety to such an action heavy season. The rest are just generic action-shounen. Busou Renkin and Blood Brothers are light weight, and have never been highly regarded. I can't find any comedy of note that season, Kanon would be the only notable romance, a good show, but the least notable of the five Key Studio anime. Look at what aired six months later, in spring 2007. Gurren Lagann, Hayate no Gotoku, Darker Than Black, Saiunkoku Monogatari 2, Seirei no Moribito, Terra E, Lucky Star, and Denno Coil.

Quote Quote:
    My takeaway from the Spring 2011 season wasn't greater variety just less shows that pull interest. But tastes to vary maybe this lineup just goes along with your tastes better than it does mine.
    It had much more variety. Whether variety is what you want, or not, is a matter of taste. But if you are looking for something other than boilerplate manga action adaptions, 2011 was a great season. Taste aside, it's hard to argue the quality of shows that season. Deadman Wonderland was a bad anime based on a marginal manga. I didn't even bothering watching it. S;G may have had pacing flaws, otherwise it was brilliant anime. I never finished HanaIro, but it was a great coming of age story. Niichan has been urging me to finish it, something I will do over the summer.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Ultimately most of those are still variations of the same genre. No matter how much fanservice there was, Momomo was still action/martial arts. No matter how much drama, Pumpkin Scissors was still an action anime. Black Lagoon (a great series) may have been grittier, but it was still action. Even Code Geass was an action oriented mecha anime. Ghost Hunt adds a little variety, same with Jigoku Shoujo. Horror/Mystery does not add that much variety to such an action heavy season. The rest are just generic action-shounen. Busou Renkin and Blood Brothers are light weight, and have never been highly regarded. I can't find any comedy of note that season, Kanon would be the only notable romance, a good show, but the least notable of the five Key Studio anime. Look at what aired six months later, in spring 2007. Gurren Lagann, Hayate no Gotoku, Darker Than Black, Saiunkoku Monogatari 2, Seirei no Moribito, Terra E, Lucky Star, and Denno Coil.
    Well quite aside from anything else I strongly disagree with the way you are grouping things into genres. If you try hard enough, and aren't too worried about being accurate you can always pidgeohole series into "Action, Comedy, and Drama." categories and declare them different variations on the same genre but it's not really true, because it's not an accurate description of what their focuses as a series are.

Grouping Black Lagoon and Sumomomo Momomo as "Action" for example seems like a blatant case of that. Those series have almost nothing in common. It's like grouping Bakemonogatari with Hayate no Gotoku because they both have "Comedy". If you want to paint with that broad a brush you can, but your not being accurate.

----------------------------------

But if you want to categorize stuff that way fine because you know what else came out that year(granted i'm expanding from the fall to encompass the whole year here)
    • Higurashi no Naku Koro
    • xxxHOLiC
    • Nana
    • The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
    • Ergo Proxy (don't you dare call it "generic action-shounen")

It had much more variety. Whether variety is what you want, or not, is a matter of taste. But if you are looking for something other than boilerplate manga action adaptions, 2011 was a great season. Taste aside, it's hard to argue the quality of shows that season. Deadman Wonderland was a bad anime based on a marginal manga. I didn't even bothering watching it. S;G may have had pacing flaws, otherwise it was brilliant anime. I never finished HanaIro, but it was a great coming of age story. Niichan has been urging me to finish it, something I will do over the summer.
    Hard to argue against the quality of 2011 season? I don't think so, especially not by comparison to 2006 or 2007.

You keep talking about variety like it's something you want and I somehow am against. I personally don't care what genre a good show comes out in as long as it's a good show. I don't see more variety in recent seasons I just see a lean toward RomComs and an overall drop in what I perceive as quality.
    Last edited by Jammin; June 24, 2013 at 10:01 AM.

10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

the monogatari animes are so awesome

i dont know how i am just finding out about them....

---------- Post added June 24, 2013 at 04:38 PM ---------- Previous post was June 23, 2013 at 06:41 PM ----------

i found this when surfing the web
    warning may not be SFW
    Spoiler show

lol now i do believe all of the monogatari animes have excellent plots, but this picture is still funny because there is probably enough cute girls and fan service for people who would only watch the show for that purpose

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Hard to argue against the quality of 2011 season? I don't think so, especially not by comparison to 2006 or 2007.

You keep talking about variety like it's something you want and I somehow am against. I personally don't care what genre a good show comes out in as long as it's a good show. I don't see more variety in recent seasons I just see a lean toward RomComs and an overall drop in what I perceive as quality.
    While agree with the pigeonholing of genres in Kaiten's post a bit, to argue that:

Gurren Lagann
    Hayate no Gotoku
    Darker Than Black
    Saiunkoku Monogatari 2(not seen)
    Seirei no Moribito
    Terra E
    Lucky Star(over-rated)
    Denno Coil

aren't worth calling high quality and to say it could easily be topped it is nearly blasphemous. Terra E was top tier SciFi; Dennou Coil is one of those anime that nobody should miss, one of those were the cover is dissuasive, it's a A+ to S without question Imo; Gurren Lagann won over the hearts of the west and east, even if the second half wasn't appreciated by some; the first Hayate series was so fun, around as entertaining as Gintama; DTB was dark, a great super power show, especially with the cost of it's usage; Seirei no Moribito: Was there anything negative about this series? High quality actions scenes with an awesome choreography and good plot.

All that aside, Code Geass and Death Note came out in the same season? Oo Whaaaat?! I'm not that old!
    Last edited by Schabrak; June 26, 2013 at 07:00 AM.
    Firm but Fair

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, tastes do vary but the discussion was about if and why people watch less anime now. My argument was the recent years just haven't had the volume of shows I found compelling that some of the past years have had and that's why I watched more anime in those years.

Here are lists of the anime I personally considered memorable for comparison.

Spoiler: 2006 show

Spoiler: 2007 show

Spoiler: 2011 show
    Last edited by Jammin; August 15, 2013 at 09:18 AM.

14. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

random thoughts

Was Black Blood Brothers a sleeper hit? I can't remember that one at all, knew about Busou Renkin, but that doesn't seem to be a highlight either. Pumpkin Scissors, only read a couple reviews where it wasn't praised. Maybe I wanted a new Scrapped Princess, no time to try such a risk [24eps]. :P Utawarerumono any good? Sci-Fi is tempting, how much? .hack//Roots was underwhelming, especially when you hadn't played the .hack//G.U games, which I did. I would think Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho should get some more fame, loved the style of the anime, haven't come to watch the complete second season, someday.

Seto no Hanayome underrated? It's one of the better comedies I've seen. And ratings say it's not. :P Should really start watching Ghost Hunt...
    Last edited by Schabrak; June 26, 2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Firm but Fair

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: random thoughts

Was Black Blood Brothers a sleeper hit? I can't remember that one at all, knew about Busou Renkin, but that doesn't seem to be a highlight either.
    I was just going but what I thought of them rather than how they did commercially.

Here's a review of Black Blood Brothers. I agree with his assessment. It was a good vampire show. Better than Trinity Blood or Vampire Bund though not in the class of stuff like the Hellsing OVA's

Busou Renkin was Busou Renkin. It was very average shounen with a certain Venture Brothers-esq flair to it that would show up on occasion. That and the well done romance subplot had me hooked but it's very understandable why it wouldn't be the same for everybody.

Meet the Monarch's forefather

Pumpkin Scissors, only read a couple reviews where it wasn't praised. Maybe I wanted a new Scrapped Princess, no time to try such a risk [24eps]. :P
    I thought Pumpkin Scissors was a solid 7/10. I enjoyed it. In my opinion the big thing holding it back was that it was really paced wrong for an anime. At 24 episodes you only felt like you got half the story; like it was really counting on getting a second season that is never going to come. So the show end up being a series of stories dancing around a around a vast conspiracy that the anime just never gets around to dealing with. So something like Scrapped Princess, which I agree was better, has the benefit of feeling much more complete.

Utawarerumono any good?
    I think the best way to explain what Utawarerumono is would be to say..

"Utawarerumono = Tears to Tiara"

Both are oddly good shows based off of Fantasy Eroge RPG's. Neither should probably be anybody's top 10 list of anime but they are both solid entertaining shows which were fun to watch on a week to week basis.

.hack//Roots was underwhelming, especially when you hadn't played the .hack//G.U games, which I did.
    With .hack//Roots sure it was probably the weakest of the .hack anime but I was playing the .hack//G.U. games at the time so that show had special appeal to me. Your probably right that without that it wouldn't have been nearly as good but I had a good time with it. Not to mention there was always that .hack soundtrack which was pretty great.

I would think Tokyo Majin Gakuen Kenpucho should get some more fame, loved the style of the anime, haven't come to watch the complete second season, someday.
    Completely agree. I'm not sure why that show went so seemingly unnoticed.

Seto no Hanayome underrated? It's one of the better comedies I've seen. And ratings say it's not. :P
    When I say Seto No Hanayome I'm referring to my personal belief that it is better than Hayate no Gotaku(and I love Hayate). Seto is one of my all time favorite comedies. A mermaid/ gangster/arranged marriage/high-school comedy/harem RomCom.

It's a crime that more people don't remember it IMO.

Should really start watching Ghost Hunt...
    I really loved Ghost Hunt. It's one of those anime that just thrives on it's characters and pure spookiness.
    Last edited by Jammin; June 26, 2013 at 12:50 PM.

17. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Well, tastes do vary but the discussion was about if and why people watch less anime now. My argument was the recent years just haven't had the volume of shows I found compelling that some of the past years have had and that's why I watched more anime in those years.
    Well not like anyone can argue against taste, it's a personal thing. I understand your reasoning Jam but did you actually try the same amount of series you did in the past years or was it more like "This synopsis doesn't interest me"?
    To me it actually sounded like you were saying the quality of anime dropped over the years but I guess that was a misunderstanding.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Well not like anyone can argue against taste, it's a personal thing. I understand your reasoning Jam but did you actually try the same amount of series you did in the past years or was it more like "This synopsis doesn't interest me"?
    To me it actually sounded like you were saying the quality of anime dropped over the years but I guess that was a misunderstanding.
    I was just giving my reasons for watching less anime these days and saying that the same thing could be true of others in the bakaupdates poll.(which i voted in)

I actually do a lot more active searching for new series than I used to. Now I look over all the shows in the preview, watch trailers, try the first bunch of things that appeal, then as the season goes on watch what people are talking about give them a second look, and try to at least watch an episode or two of each. And even with all of that I find on average around three shows that I end up finishing per season.

Like just this weekend I tried the first three episodes of Suisei no Gargantia.

Spoiler: My reaction to it... show
    Last edited by Jammin; June 26, 2013 at 05:04 PM.

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity REN KOUEN's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

ive got a few recruits coming to check the site out

one is my little brother and the other is a friend, hopefully they will stick around and post here in the anime section

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 37 of 46 FirstFirst ... 27 35 36 37 38 39 ... LastLast