Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)
New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Hito Hitori Futari by Takahashi Tsutomu

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hito Hitori Futari by Takahashi Tsutomu

Volume 1

Released February 17, 2012

Hito Hitori Futari
    By: Takahashi Tsutomu
    Genre: Supernatural, Drama
    Serialized In: Weekly Young Jump
    Publisher: Shueisha
    Mangaupdates

After the body dies, the soul lives on. Many spirits progress toward the world of light, through the levels of the spirit world where they study how to improve their souls. These spirits are sometimes reincarnated into the physical world, and sometimes they are sent back as guardian spirits for other living people. Guardian spirits must protect their charges souls from the blackness that oozes up from the world of darkness below.

Riyon is a very laid-back spirit, who often skips her spirit classes to fool around. To train her further, she is sent back to the physical world as a guardian spirit. Instead of following a human from birth, she is helping a beleaguered man, the Japanese Prime Minister Kasuga Soichiro, in the last year and a half of his life. After an unexpected close call with death, Kasuga gains some unusual talents, including the ability to see Riyon. Will Riyon and Kasuga together be able to protect his battered soul?

By the Mangaka of Jiraishin, Skyhigh, and Sidooh
    Last edited by Kaiten; June 18, 2012 at 10:33 AM.

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Josef K.'s Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: [New] Hito Hitori Futari by Takahashi Tsutomu

Epic! I just hope they get back to the spiritual utopia as fast as they can! Amazing contrast of the peaceful world above with the industrial and modern Japan, they are so happy in the spirit realm. So alcohol will be end of the minister? Just when I thought that he was going to have an assassination or something. I can not wait for more chapters, one of the best new manga in a while.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't think she will go back to the spirit world very much. Her job will be to help him pick up the pieces of his life, and live a happier, more fulfilling existence. That will earn her the right to be resurrected. For all it's serenity, the spirit world is more of a waiting room, a place for souls to be cleansed and learn to live a better life, before being resurrected. For skipping out on class the principal is making her go back to Earth and prove herself as a guardian, before she can be resurrected. All a very Buddhist perception of the afterlife. I am not sure there is going to be a way for her to pass back to the spirit realm, unless they summon her.

I really Takahashi's manga. Jiraishin is a little dated, but is still a great, old school, hard-boiled police manga. I'm waiting until scanlations are completed before reading more, but Sidooh is a great samurai manga. I still have not read the Skyhigh franchise, but will probably start that today or tomorrow. A little trivia: before serializing Blame, Nihei Tsutomu was an assistant of Takahashi, working on Jiraishin.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Perhaps a love relationship or something between the two? I see it a way to get eternal life or something for the minister, might go back to Gilgamesh theme, though indeed it is Buddhist inspired, reminded me of the after life in Dragon Ball that was also religiously inspired I suppose. I thought we were going to see that fat guy at the giant table just like in DB.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member HalcyonDigest's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Liking the first 2 chapters. Love the political drama that took place in the latest one and I'm hopeful we'll see more of that. I was looking at a raw of a later chapter and it definitely doesn't seem like they'll be going back to the spirit. Also like the idea of placing a counter where we get to keep track of how many days he has left, it's simple but it's effective.

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

So many technical stuff surrounding this manga, it has a shounen feel to it because of it, but I think it is masterfully done. Wow, she took him out of purgatory? Well, it seems a quick visit to the spirit realm did happen after all. Mixing the fate of the nation with the fate of a man, wonderful Plus the whole guardian spirit is so well done and brings up a lot of emotions form the story, I love it! One of the best manga I have read in a while, keep up the good work.

---------- Post added July 01, 2012 at 04:12 AM ---------- Previous post was June 28, 2012 at 03:44 PM ----------

The old fortuneteller was some sort of evil spirit person, we will be seeing her in the future I think. I am glad that she decided to get in direct contact with the PM, the plot thickens. The fast chapter releases are epic! Btw, I hope that we see some epic battles between the evil spirits and Riyon.

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member MattC302's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

I just started reading this and caught up to the latest scanned chapter. I'm really liking it so far. The guardian spirit concept I especially like. In chapter 2, I got the feeling like Riyon was representing him like a lawyer and looking out for him no matter what. It was kind of comforting. Makes me wish I was religious.

---------- Post added July 12, 2012 at 01:59 PM ---------- Previous post was July 10, 2012 at 09:15 AM ----------

Two new chapters are out with a nice, new development
    Spoiler show

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I think he has some connection to the dark spirit world or something, like that fortuneteller lady, or something like that, he could be a guy that dark spirits want to get through like it was said, maybe? Still we need more info on the mechanics of the whole spirit system in the manga. But mixed with the political drama it is a nice little setting.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Two new chapters are out and another nice development:
    Spoiler show

Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kewl0210 View Post
    Hito Hitori Futari #03
    Is this cover boss or what? I am really glad this manga is picking up pace and may go all the way and turn into a fantastic long seinen. Thanks for the cover kewl.

Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Hito Hitori Futari by Takahashi Tsutomu

Anyone else still reading this? I have enjoyed it a lot, but I must admit, the last few chapters are starting to lose me. This whole eliminating nuclear power deal isn't really resonating with me. I've never experienced the negative effects of nuclear power firsthand, so I'm feeling very detached from the conflict. I've read all about Chernobyl, and seen and read about the Fukashima plant disaster on the news, but still, I have trouble connecting with the prime ministers mission.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kewl0210's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I am, because I'm translating it. I think the way Kasuga described the importance of denuclearization was good. And I think the general plot regarding Kubo and such are interesting. I forget what's been scanlated so far... I don't think the manga itself will go on for really long, though. Probably like 7-8 volumes.

14. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Banned 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Country
    Slovenia
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for churning out these at a nice pace, I really dig the art and the storyline so far is pretty good, I might not agree with denuclearization (hey, it's not like there are better alternatives) but at least it doesn't do it in a preachy way.

Scanlator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member barbapapa's Avatar
    Country
    Belgium
    Post Thanks / Like

I've always wanted to sample one of Takahashi's works; aside from some Sidooh chapters an eternity ago. So I'm getting the files now and will try and read it today/tomorrow.

---------- Post added March 13, 2013 at 01:05 AM ---------- Previous post was March 08, 2013 at 12:24 AM ----------

Okay yeah so far it's really rather dry. Kind of what I remember from Sidooh as well.

I hate shovel 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Finally this series' scan is finished. The ending is heartwarming, I approve it; pretty much what I expected for the series' last page. It has its ups and downs, but for me Hito Hitori Futari is a solid work by Tsutomu.

New Reply
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast