Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Celebrate MH's birthday and the RETURN OF MANGA!! Start downloading, translating and scanlating manga HERE - legally!
Like us on Facebook, Follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year of MH and check out our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga: (4/7/14 - 4/13/14).
Site News: Check out our new sections: Nisekoi and Kingdom
Events: Nominate and vote for the winners in the Seinen Awards!
Translations: Gintama 490 by Bomber D Rufi
New Reply

Thread: Niichan's Recommendation Thread

Uchuujin 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Nuts Niichan's Recommendation Thread

Hello there guys, my name's Naruto-niichan! (For everyone who's curious and may not know me, here's a little info):
    Spoiler show

Today I bring you the first recommandation for the new and ultra flashy Otaku Finder!
    From now on, this will be a place where all members of MH can recommend a series they are in love with or want to support. On the other hand, this will be a good place for everyone who wants advice on what to read/to watch next too. So make sure to come by from time to time!

If you want to know more, Here is the thread for specific rules etc. And last but not least a special thanks to the people from MH staff, who are trying their best to make this place even more enjoyable!
    Sorry for the long introduction, now let's get started with my recommandation.

-----------------------------------------

The manga I want to recommend you is called

"I am a Hero"

Basic information:

Author: Hanazawa, Kengo

Demographic: Seinen

Genre: Horror, Slice of Life, Psychological

Serialized in: Big Comic Spirits

The Plot:

Hideo Suzuki is a thirty-five year old mangaka assistant struggling to be the hero in his own life by breaking back into the lime light with a new serial all the while juggling his relationship with his girlfriend and his own delusions.

Yet the world seems to have a different set of plans for him; sinister and dark machinations that completely overturn his reality as he knows it.

(From Illuminati-Manga)

[Blame me for not using my own description, but I couldn't think of a better one, even though I tried really hard I think it describes the story perfectly and yet manages to not spoil anything.]

Why I recommend it:

1. The main character. He's what you would call a "looser", someone who's at the very bottom of society. Having some serious delusions and a heavy sense of inferiority, he can be quite disgusting, yet you can sympathize with him. If you're looking for an remarkable main character, then this will be definitely a good choice.

2. It takes an enormous turn after the first volume. To be honest, the first chapters are quite boring and disturbing. It's thanks to some people on MH that I didn't stop reading it, because they said that it's getting really good after a while. Believe me, they were damn right! After the first volume I couldn't stop reading till the end of the scanlations.
    On a side note: Make sure to finish the first volume at night, that way the impact will be even bigger

3.Contrary to some other certain mangas, like
    Spoiler show
    it's a very realistic and interesting story despite the more or less cliche/overused scenario.

4. It's a relatively unknown manga and I think it deserves more attention.The scanlations have been on-hold for a long time now, so a few new fans/supporters could be of a lot of help!

I think that's most of it. You will find some sample pictures at the bottom of the page for everyone who's interested.

Thanks for reading this far, I really hope I could convey a good impression of the manga! Make sure to give it a try, you won't be disappointed

_________Extra Info__________

Manga Details Page: Here

Discussion thread: Here

Sample Pictures:

Spoiler show

2. Thanks 7 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 3 Member(s) likes this post
    SQUEE x 9000 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Niichan's Recommendation Thread

I am a Hero is a great series, I also recommend it. It's kind of hard to summarize without spoiling, just take Niichan's word: most of the first volume is a red herring. Do not give up on it until after reading the entire volume. The slow parts are actually brilliant set up, the series is better for it. It's a funny manga, parodying genre tropes while at the same time gleefully reveling in them. The mangaka is quite accomplished too. Ressentiment, one of his older series, is also supposed to be very good. I've been meaning to read it since scanlations were completed, but have not had the chance yet.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member HegemonKhan's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I liked High School of the Dead, as I thought it was done pretty well (and was surprised that it was as I wasn't expecting it to be good), but I mainly liked it for the fanservice of course.

But for me *personally* I've never really been into the more hardcore violence/etc of Seinen nor Adult (American) graphic comics, as I guess my stomachs a bit weak, laughs. So, I probably won't like this recommendation of yours. I looked at Gantz a bit, and I can tolerate that a bit (as I'm looking for the fanservice... yes, HK's a perv...), but it gets a bit too weird and gruesome/violent for me, at least later on anyways. I also hate the Saw movies as well, never seen a single one of them...
    Last edited by HegemonKhan; August 16, 2011 at 01:51 AM.
    "The internet’s perfect for all manner of things, but productive discussion ain’t one of them. It provides scant room for debate and infinite opportunities for fruitless point-scoring: the heady combination of perceived anonymity, gestated responses, random heckling and a notional “live audience” quickly conspire to create a “perfect storm” of perpetual bickering." - Charlie Brooker

"I hold the wolf by the ears, I am in a dangerous situation and dare not let go" -an old saying in Latin

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member lunacat's Avatar
    Country
    Algeria
    Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for recommending it, it looks interesting and you made me very eager to read it as soon as possible, so will do

7. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply