Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma

Thread: Doing research!!

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Confused Doing research!!

Hey, all.

Right now, I'm doing research into Christian persecutions in Japan during the Edo period, and I'm basing my research in FMA.

So far, I've looked into different parallels between the Ishbal rebellion and different Christian incidents, everybody being harassed by the Homunculi (seven deadly sins. duh.) as well as little details like when greed is hanging on a concrete cross. (it's in the Japanese version, but not in the American one.)

So with that as a starting point, I would like to find out what everybody here thinks. Has anybody done any looking into something like that, or am I the weirdo?

Thanks for your help, and I hope this turns into a good discussion!

Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member tonyyao82's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doing research!!

You know, you bring up a good point about Christian persecutions in Japan. I never really thought about it.

I remember talking about Japan not being bound by religious morals and ideals when it comes to sexual views.

Their god is asexual. It is believed that Japan was created by the union of heaven & earth. That union birthed two gods, Izanagi & Izanami, who wed each other to "create" Japan.

I don't know if this helps in any way, but I just wanted to share it since Japan seems to encourage full religious freedom.

"I'll send you flying.....TO THE END OF THE WORLD!" - Itsuki "Ikki" Minami (Air Gear)

Manga Therapy: Where Psychology & Manga Meet (http://www.mangatherapy.com)

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Doing research!!

Quote Originally Posted by tonyyao82 View Post
    You know, you bring up a good point about Christian persecutions in Japan. I never really thought about it.

Their god is asexual. It is believed that Japan was created by the union of heaven & earth. That union birthed two gods, Izanagi & Izanami, who wed each other to "create" Japan.
    It's true that Japan having a lot of religious freedom. They do now, to be sure. It's one of the only (if not the only) nations of the world to have more believers in various religions than it has people. People usually say that they are Buddhist and Shinto, as well as anything else they want to throw in there.

Izanagi and Izanami were not necessarily asexual. Izanagi was male and Izanami was female. When you read Kojiki, you can really get a feel for how separate the gender roles are at the point that it was written. Things have gone back and forth since then, but they are still fairly liberal when it comes to sexuality.

As far as religious freedom is concerned, they are quite free now, but during the early 1600s after the nation was finally unified, you were free to worship what you liked . . . as long as it wasn't Christianity. Christians were forced to apostatize under torture, work with the government to ferret out other Christians or . . . die. Unpleasantly. Here, I'll refer you to Endo Shusaku's Silence and The Samurai. Both give you a good idea of what life was like while staying true to historical fact.

As for FMA, one of the main reasons that I ask is because of so much Christian reference. As I mentioned in my previous post, you have a constant reference to the 7 deadly sins, Greed hanging on a cross, and the coup-de-grace, the Ishbal rebellion (Which I think has a good connection with the Shimabara rebellion in 1637-38).

If you can't tell, the Ishbal rebellion is pretty much the basis of my topic.