Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: who is the main character in Naruto+is it a retconned series or not

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member pimp naruto kun's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: who is the main character in Naruto+is it a retconned series or not

After reading all these arguments and points of evidence which the many sides are presenting i am actually unsure as to whether there is a definite answer or not. the recent 2010 interview has made me pretty confused about what may happen in the manga. The interview for me at least was a slight dissapointment showing Kishimoto's general disregard for Naruto's character. I still believe that overall in the whole story that Naruto can be argued as being the main character but Kishimoto in many ways is making Naruto into a character who once was the main character but now only serves as support for a primary character. Kishimoto's switch of characters does give the ominous feeling that nothing will happen with Naruto until he fights Sasuke. Naruto's developements even seem secondary he is supposed to be the main character but is given an incredibly small amount of jutsu's even after the discovery of many things that could cause an increase in jutsu developement (realization of his lineage, sage mode, wind nature), His story developement has actually been focused on sasuke once a secondary character who has now become one of the major focal points of the manga. Naruto's character at least in my opinion has so much developement potential many things have been revealed that can make him a more deeply developed character all around (lineage, senju ideals, jutsu potentials, recognition from village) but Kishimoto so far has seemed like he has scrapped some of these stor points and the fact that he has introduced so many characters but has narrowed the focus and developement to two characters. I have the feeling that kish is trying to rush naruto's and the stories developement and disregarding many things he brought up in parts I and II (rookie 12, developement of relationship between naruto and sakura in part II, danzo's impact, naruto 's lineage(brought up before but still seems scrapped). I think that even recently brought up plot developements have helped further my frustrations the whole senju uchiha thing seems like a device made so naruto will still enivitably try to save sasuke and be peace oriented or whatever but these developements only give more hints to the sasuke focus of manga naruto saving idea. I understand that Sasuke is meant to be the rival that pushes naruto but Kishimoto has put this idea to an extreme which is shown by how much better he makes sasuke by
    1. making him have more jutsu
    2. making naruto look pathetic
    3. making sasuke receive attention from not only the main potential love interest but almost every female character.
    4. giving him more screentime and intertwining the main characters actions with sasuke
    5. making him look japanese and being ultra cool (not really argument but opinion) making the foreign looking blonde main character look stupid.
    6. making naruto have the same attack pattern while shouting "i won't give up" but making sasuke learn a new move every fight on top of his already gant diverse array of jutsu.
    I understand that in many manga's the main character is the underdog with a charming motto that has to work hard etc. but Kishi almost makes Naruto fail in so many ways scraping many developements that would benefit him and showing feelings between him and sakura just to say just f@*kin with you she still loves sasuke and having him train for three years to learn odama rasengan and better clones and give him wind nature so he can use the same moves with added wind manipulation i mean he seems to almost make naruto a less popular character so he can write more about sasuke. I really hope that these recent chapters show that naruto has slightly changed his opinion of sasuke and may at least slightly alter his actions or not be obsessed with his man crush anymore. If kishi actually gave Naruto some developement i might not be so mad that sasuke's character is the way he is but him turning his main character into essentially part I sakura isn't what i imagined would happen. I plan on waiting to see how this manga unfolds but i hope that kishi will actually make naruto better developed instead of the be sidelined than save sasuke idea

2. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pimp naruto kun View Post
    1. making him have more jutsu
    2. making naruto look pathetic
    3. making sasuke receive attention from not only the main potential love interest but almost every female character.
    4. giving him more screentime and intertwining the main characters actions with sasuke
    5. making him look japanese and being ultra cool (not really argument but opinion) making the foreign looking blonde main character look stupid.
    6. making naruto have the same attack pattern while shouting "i won't give up" but making sasuke learn a new move every fight on top of his already gant diverse array of jutsu.
    none of these attributes determine who is the main character.

about the focus and 'sasuke-centric' events+prediction:
    Quote Quote:
    if i may,then i would say this......the gaara retrieval arc was merely to show how much gaara has progressed,and the asuma arc for shika.these are the only 2 supporting characters from part1 that kishi apparently wanted to develop further since those 2 had some parts to play in future as seen later and he got them done early.

on the other hand sasuke retrieval arc was to update on the 3.

then itachi arc came which served multiple purposes like making things clear abnot itachi,and madara and also for showing sasuke's dark core in making his choice.

then whole jiraya's death and pain arc for naruto to advance in his dogma,and make a crucial choice for himself.

then the post-pain developments served two purposes:that is to show how impossible the choice naruto made was,and to depict sasuke's dark core totally taking over him through a process.

so part2 has hardly been concentrated only on sasuke,and the next thing i predict kishi would want to show is to how naruto sticks to the choice he made despite the impossibilities he has come to face since the decision in pain arc(naruto's process).
    neither akatsuki,nor madara's current threat (2 main lines so far) seems sasuke's threat at all...a reason why he still isn't considered a serious antagonist yet.only itachi-sasuke-naruto was really sasuke-centric,even that at the end felt more itachi-centric.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member pimp naruto kun's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by ashher View Post
    none of these attributes determine who is the main character.

about the focus and 'sasuke-centric' events+prediction:

neither akatsuki,nor madara's current threat (2 main lines so far) seems sasuke's threat at all...a reason why he still isn't considered a serious antagonist yet.only itachi-sasuke-naruto was really sasuke-centric,even that at the end felt more itachi-centric.
    Im not saying these attributes make naruto the the main character or not but these emphasize the idea of sasuke's superiority what i said is not arguing who the main character is in this section but the ways kishi elevates sasuke you quoted like one point of my argument this is not my whol argument. i believe that naruto is the main character but the amount of things kishimoto gives to Sasuke whether it be on the spot jutsu or just the fact that he has made Naruto's story interwined with Sasuke and from the beginning has given naruto almost nothing ignoring potential developement points and reducing him to a character that's main focus is on Sasuke who was not originally intended to get as much focus as he know receives (which i believe has some part to due with sasuke's popularity in Japan and kishimoto's editors) I mean i understand the idea of hardwork to gain power but kishi has made naruto inferior from the start and when he does gain power it has to be after sasuke gains power and Naruto's power up's so far have resulted in basic variations of one technique and have not touched on something that should be brought up at this point in the story the potential jutsu of his mother's clan the uzumaki or techniques of the fourth. I know i'm kind of ranting and that many shounen mangas deal with the idea of hard work and genius's etc. but i just am bothered by how pathetic kishi has made naruto look getting his as beat by a girl (kumo nin girl), begging on his knees to raikage, fainting after hearing about the truth from sakura, having sakura lie to him and her still being in love with sasuke even after all the part two relationship developement between them, even the uchiha-senju destiny of hate two brothers thing just seems like an excuse for naruto to continue to try and save sasuke Kishimoto's seemingly new favorite character following the same path of risking everyhting for sasuke and not growing up and realizing that the friends who still care about him and his village are more important than one person. I mean im just frustrated that every thing to do with naruto now has to deal with the uchiha or sasuke.
    Last edited by pimp naruto kun; February 23, 2010 at 04:53 PM.

5. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity ashher's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pimp naruto kun View Post
    I mean im just frustrated that every thing to do with naruto now has to deal with the uchiha or sasuke.
    yap,that is true,because its more of a personal story between those 2 rather than hero-going-around-world-saving-every-problem and of course,the world circling around the hero.

naruto had to save gaara,deal with pain,and with jiraya's death and understand revenge and get over it,which wasn't uchiha-centric primarily.of course it was later on linked to sasuke,because,as i've said before its a personal story about bonds,a story that gives more emphasis on characterization and interaction between them rather than twists and plots.that's why whatever choice sasuke makes about whatever thing,it naturally draws an anti-parallel in readers' mind(at lest to mine) to naruto,even if its not directly spelled out.

at the end of the day,kishi made sasuke more macho,and made naruto not-so.......from what i understood from ur post,u don't like that.i on the other hand am perfectly happy with it.my 'main character' of preference doesn't have to be the most amazing,most badass guy,he has to be most relatable,his goal has to be something that i feel for.

about naruto storylines like uzumaki clan or whatever,yes they can be there but they need to be linked to sasuke somehow as well,just like uchiha storylines couldn't remain just for sasuke,rather they linked out to konoha and so to naruto as well.
    Last edited by ashher; March 01, 2010 at 12:55 AM.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted THM Nindo's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

After last week chapter, I think it's pretty much clear who's the main character.

Sasuke is the best friend turned-evil character
    Naruto is the hero of the manga

It's 100% clear.

Naruto is the main character

True love will conquer everything
    The question now is : which of those two loves, is the true one?!

Jiraiya's timeline : here
    Zetsu, the strongest villain of Akatsuki : here

8. Thanks 6 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by THM Nindo View Post
    After last week chapter, I think it's pretty much clear who's the main character.

Sasuke is the best friend turned-evil character
    Naruto is the hero of the manga

It's 100% clear.

Naruto is the main character
    Nobody is denying that Naruto is the hero of the story. The issue at hand is whether or not Naruto can even be classified as the protagonist in the manga named after him anymore.

The main issue with his character that people still seem unable to acknowledge is that Naruto is incapable of being revelent without Sasuke being around. Even his newfound goal of bringing peace to the ninja world has to somehow be linked to "saving" Sasuke.

- Naruto must end the chain of hatred: Sasuke symbolizes that
    - Naruto must change the ninja world: The ninja world wants Sasuke dead
    - Naruto must save Sasuke: You do the math

This is even more evident by Naruto's passive state. He hasn't made any major contributions to the plot ever since the Gaara Arc, which was then incorporated in Naruto's main goal of chasing after Sasuke as he has been doing since chapter ~200. And thanks to Kishimoto's interview at the latest SJ Fiesta, we know the Sasuke chasing won't end until the story's conclusion. In other words, Naruto will continue to remain in a passive state until the end of the manga as (1) all major plot threads continue to revolve around Sasuke and (2) Sasuke's actions continue to drive the plot.

10. Thanks 10 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kthy0056's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm sorry to say, AGAIN, but Sasuke was pretty relevant to Naruto's life in the first part too. He was training hard because of his rivalry with Sasuke, he saved Sasuke and Sakura out of trouble from Gaara (that was his point at least, to save his friends, not exactly stop the monster). He learned Rasengan because of his rivarly with Sasuke and his Chidori jutsu. In the end, he went on a mission to save Sasuke, which leaded to end of the first part.

12. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Franckie's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kthy0056 View Post
    I'm sorry to say, AGAIN, but Sasuke was pretty relevant to Naruto's life in the first part too. He was training hard because of his rivalry with Sasuke, he saved Sasuke and Sakura out of trouble from Gaara (that was his point at least, to save his friends, not exactly stop the monster). He learned Rasengan because of his rivarly with Sasuke and his Chidori jutsu. In the end, he went on a mission to save Sasuke, which leaded to end of the first part.
    So is Iruka, but you don't see +90% of the series revolving around him.

To see if Naruto can be classified as the protagonist of the series, the following question needs answered: What is a protagonist? The protagonist is the central figure of a story. Often times the words hero and main character are used interchangeably with protagonist, but they're not necessarily the same exact thing.

So, what do you look for to identify to identify the protagonist? The simplest means is to see which character is the largest driving force behind the plot. Furthermore, you look to see whether or not the majority of plot threads revolve around said character. Now let's apply these standards to Naruto. Has Naruto caused the majority of plot developments for Part II? No. Are the majority of plot threads tied to Naruto? No. In truth, the plot threads that were linked to Naruto's character (Hogake, Kyuubi, Akatsuki, Cycle of Hatred, etc.) have been directly linked to Sasuke's character at Naruto's expense.

This is a stark contrast to Part I. Whose actions caused the Wave Country to become a better place? Naruto. Whose actions brightened the lives of people such as Gaara, Neji, Tsunade, and Hinata? Naruto. Whose actions were pivotal in saving Konoha from absolute destruction during Oro's invasion? Naruto. Whose actions helped bring Konoha a new Hogake after Hiruzen was killed? Naruto. Whose actions helped Team Shikamaru catch up to Sasuke? Naruto. Sure, Sasuke played an important role in Naruto's character, but he was one of several characters that added to Naruto's character. Other characters who played important roles were Haku, Zabuza, Kakashi, Hinata, Lee, and Jiraiya. At this point in time as well, Sasuke had little to do with Naruto becoming Hogake, Akatsuki, etc. Thus, Naruto was the protagonist since his actions were one of the largest driving forces and the majority of plot threads revolved around him. Sasuke couldn't even be considered the protagonist at this point in time, especially since a good chunk of his screentime was Sasuke reacting to Naruto's actions.

That's a stark contrast to Part II. In Part II, the majority of chapters "dedicated" to Naruto have Naruto explicitly mentioning Sasuke by name/flashback panel. Never mind that Sasuke is the sole driving force behind Naruto's actions since he found out Sasuke skipped town. Even arcs that initially had little to do with Sasuke (Gaara Arc, Pein Arc) inevitably end up being tied to Naruto chasing Sasuke. In the Gaara Arc, the chief reason Naruto began pursuing Akatsuki was because it could lead him to Sasuke. In the Pein Arc, you have Pein telling Naruto his Sasuke chasing is useless and Naruto's remarks about understanding Sasuke's reason(s) for pursuing vengeance.

In addition, the big picture in Part I was that Naruto was going to reform the Shinobi World with his Nindo of giving a rat's ass about others whether they liked it or not. See: Zabuza; Neji; Gaara; Tsunade; Sasuke. The big picture in Part II is that the Uchiha are cursed with awesome and magical and planning on taking over the world and Naruto wuvs one of them.

As you can see, Naruto doesn't fit the definition of a protagonist since he's so passive and is incapable of holding any revelence on his own without Sasuke being around. Still, that doesn't necessarily mean Naruto still doesn't have an important role to play. He's still a main character for the following reasons: (1) He is the viewpoint character since the story is told from his perspective, (2) he is the focal character since his reactions to Sasuke's actions dominate a good chunk of the story, and (3) he is Sasuke's chief antagonist. Nevertheless, he will continue to play second fiddle to Sasuke until the end of the manga, and for that, he can no longer be considered the protagonist of the series named after him.
    Last edited by Franckie; March 01, 2010 at 05:39 PM.

14. Thanks 8 Member(s) thanked this post
    Hound of Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member benelori's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Franckie View Post
    Nobody is denying that Naruto is the hero of the story. The issue at hand is whether or not Naruto can even be classified as the protagonist in the manga named after him anymore.
    I smell some contradiction there...

16. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MangaHelper MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Rikudou King's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by benelori View Post
    I smell some contradiction there...
    Not really. Being the hero doesn't automatically make you the protagonist. Look at Death Note. Light was the protagonist, But he was also the main villain. The plot revolve around Light and the hero of the story, L, Mainly reacted to what Light was doing.

Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Becuz it's not Iruka's role...sasuke was always naruto's rival...it's only natural for him to be tha antagonist

To see if Naruto can be classified as the protagonist of the series, the following question needs answered: What is a protagonist? The protagonist is the central figure of a story. Often times the words hero and main character are used interchangeably with protagonist, but they're not necessarily the same exact thing.
    The protagonist is the central figure of the story, or main character, with whom the audience shares somekind of empathy

So, what do you look for to identify to identify the protagonist? The simplest means is to see which character is the largest driving force behind the plot. Furthermore, you look to see whether or not the majority of plot threads revolve around said character. Now let's apply these standards to Naruto. Has Naruto caused the majority of plot developments for Part II? No. Are the majority of plot threads tied to Naruto? No. In truth, the plot threads that were linked to Naruto's character (Hogake, Kyuubi, Akatsuki, Cycle of Hatred, etc.) have been directly linked to Sasuke's character at Naruto's expense.
    I said in the previous paragraph what is a protagonist...but let's see UR criteria as well...can U decide who is the driving force behind the plot of part 2? Is part 2 over? Can the story's elements be identified in strict terminology when we don't even know what characters will do next?
    Also what does "at naruto's expense" even mean?It's clear that Kishi intends to develop his characters in multiple ways...he treats them with majestic words, fights or great failures...so it's obvious that naruto's goal was connected with sasuke, becuz they are protagonist and antagonist...they need something in common to oppose each other...so it's not a loss for either that they were connected...this how it's like since the beginning

This is a stark contrast to Part I. Whose actions caused the Wave Country to become a better place? Naruto. Whose actions brightened the lives of people such as Gaara, Neji, Tsunade, and Hinata? Naruto. Whose actions were pivotal in saving Konoha from absolute destruction during Oro's invasion? Naruto. Whose actions helped bring Konoha a new Hogake after Hiruzen was killed? Naruto. Whose actions helped Team Shikamaru catch up to Sasuke? Naruto. Sure, Sasuke played an important role in Naruto's character, but he was one of several characters that added to Naruto's character. Other characters who played important roles were Haku, Zabuza, Kakashi, Hinata, Lee, and Jiraiya. At this point in time as well, Sasuke had little to do with Naruto becoming Hogake, Akatsuki, etc. Thus, Naruto was the protagonist since his actions were one of the largest driving forces and the majority of plot threads revolved around him. Sasuke couldn't even be considered the protagonist at this point in time, especially since a good chunk of his screentime was Sasuke reacting to Naruto's actions.
    So basically Kishi didn't satisfy what U expected from the manga...that doesn't really qualify U to speak about terminology...
    Take a look at part 1...except the Wave arc,every plot thread that revolved around naruto was started by?It's easy...Orochimaru...becuz he was the antagonist of part 1...can U say that this was at the expense of naruto's character?I don't think so...
    Now that sasuke has risen to the level and he needs character development, along with others who might have a contribution to the upcoming war, everybody is sayin that naruto's characters is dropping...not naruto is on the top and the others need to catch up with him IMO...

That's a stark contrast to Part II. In Part II, the majority of chapters "dedicated" to Naruto have Naruto explicitly mentioning Sasuke by name/flashback panel. Never mind that Sasuke is the sole driving force behind Naruto's actions since he found out Sasuke skipped town. Even arcs that initially had little to do with Sasuke (Gaara Arc, Pein Arc) inevitably end up being tied to Naruto chasing Sasuke. In the Gaara Arc, the chief reason Naruto began pursuing Akatsuki was because it could lead him to Sasuke. In the Pein Arc, you have Pein telling Naruto his Sasuke chasing is useless and Naruto's remarks about understanding Sasuke's reason(s) for pursuing vengeance.

In addition, the big picture in Part I was that Naruto was going to reform the Shinobi World with his Nindo of giving a rat's ass about others whether they liked it or not. See: Zabuza; Neji; Gaara; Tsunade; Sasuke. The big picture in Part II is that the Uchiha are cursed with awesome and magical and planning on taking over the world and Naruto wuvs one of them.

As you can see, Naruto doesn't fit the definition of a protagonist since he's so passive and is incapable of holding any revelence on his own without Sasuke being around. Still, that doesn't necessarily mean Naruto still doesn't have an important role to play. He's still a main character for the following reasons: (1) He is the viewpoint character since the story is told from his perspective, (2) he is the focal character since his reactions to Sasuke's actions dominate a good chunk of the story, and (3) he is Sasuke's chief antagonist. Nevertheless, he will continue to play second fiddle to Sasuke until the end of the manga, and for that, he can no longer be considered the protagonist of the series named after him.
    Please don't state general things like:"this" is the big picture and "that" was the big picture...what U see in the manga might differ from what others see...
    Also how can U say that Naruto can't hold any relevance on his own? His goal is Sasuke(whatever in what way)...basically all he does sasuke's name will appear...that's logical and expected since I say it again:the protagonist is not real protagonist without an antagonist, in these type of stories...

Also to comment the last paragraph...it's the common line for all who doesn't see Naruto as main character...and it's one of the biggest @#$% that I heard ever...why?
    Becuz U judge a story which is not over, at least part 2...part 2 is not over, so stating that naruto will be sasuke's fiddle until the end(are U kishi?)is just a weird assumption based on whatever...
    And what logical arguments U use...U use it for a part of the story...and clearly Naruto the manga it's the same story which started 10 years ago...
    Terms like part 1 and part 2 are just help to guide us in the timeline of the story...who is the protagonist of the manga, from teh beginning until this last chapter? Naruto...who were his antagonist until now...Oro, Akatsuki, Sasuke...looking back to naruto's relationship with sasuke, we can logically predict that sasuke is the main antagonist in every way, without reading misleading interviews, or relying and terms which used in a way would satisfy our reasoning...
    Terms like driving force are irrelevant becuz...every arc has it's own driving force...so if kakashi is the driving force for 50 chapters that doesn't mean he will become the protagonist of the manga...the story itself is driven by naruto and sasuke...I don't think U can deny that...the relationship between the two will probably settle the outcome of things(the end of the manga)and that's why Naruto can't do anything without sasuke appearing somewhere...the term pair needs two people

Quote Originally Posted by Rikudou King View Post
    Not really. Being the hero doesn't automatically make you the protagonist. Look at Death Note. Light was the protagonist, But he was also the main villain. The plot revolve around Light and the hero of the story, L, Mainly reacted to what Light was doing.
    Sorry...I misunderstood "hero" there...to extend a bit...Death Note is a good example and it might or not be relevant when there's an analogy with naruto...the thing is with death note that the story is over and we can judge which character held which role...
    With Naruto we can only guess based on what happened until now...
    Last edited by benelori; March 05, 2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

19. Thanks 3 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member darkprince0521's Avatar
    Country
    Bangladesh
    Post Thanks / Like

The protagonist is the central figure of the story, or main character, with whom the audience shares somekind of empathy.

I said in the previous paragraph what is a protagonist...but let's see UR criteria as well...can U decide who is the driving force behind the plot of part 2? Is part 2 over? Can the story's elements be identified in strict terminology when we don't even know what characters will do next?
    it is not a very good explanation that "because this manga isn't over yet, we cannot comment". so far we have seen the storyline in part 2, it is always about sasuke. where sasuke is, how naruto will find sasuke, what does naruto, sakura or others think about sasuke etc. yes, we don't know what will happen next. but the comment is based on the manga we had so far and also based on kishi's interview. and things doesn't look so promising.

Also what does "at naruto's expense" even mean?It's clear that Kishi intends to develop his characters in multiple ways...he treats them with majestic words, fights or great failures...so it's obvious that naruto's goal was connected with sasuke, becuz they are protagonist and antagonist...they need something in common to oppose each other...so it's not a loss for either that they were connected...this how it's like since the beginning
    your explanation for Kishi developing a character with majestic words or fights or great failures etc. fits for sasuke pretty much; not for naruto. except "i have to save sasuke" we have nothing from naruto. it is implied that naruto's goal is connected to sasuke.

So basically Kishi didn't satisfy what U expected from the manga...that doesn't really qualify U to speak about terminology...
    Take a look at part 1...except the Wave arc,every plot thread that revolved around naruto was started by?It's easy...Orochimaru...becuz he was the antagonist of part 1...can U say that this was at the expense of naruto's character?I don't think so...
    yeah, orochimaru was the main antagonistic back then. but what his ambition was? to destroy leaf and gaining sasuke. he had no interest in naruto. but still, that storyline was better. because we had so many variables back that time.

it wasn't on naruto's expense. because we didn't see hundred pages of orochimaru's flashback. neither we saw how orochimaru built otokage or how he gained immortality etc. all we saw that orochimaru is in action and wants to destroy leaf, and it was good enough.

Now that sasuke has risen to the level and he needs character development, along with others who might have a contribution to the upcoming war, everybody is sayin that naruto's characters is dropping...not naruto is on the top and the others need to catch up with him IMO...
    character development, i wonder who had it more; naruto or sasuke? we didn't even know how naruto feels about his father and being a jinchurikki until he punched Minato. on the other hand, we know everything there is to know about sasuke and even more than that.

and the development of others who will have contribution in the upcoming wars, we will see how many characters have the kind of development that sasuke had.

Please don't state general things like:"this" is the big picture and "that" was the big picture...what U see in the manga might differ from what others see...
    Also how can U say that Naruto can't hold any relevance on his own? His goal is Sasuke(whatever in what way)...basically all he does sasuke's name will appear...that's logical and expected since I say it again:the protagonist is not real protagonist without an antagonist, in these type of stories...
    yes. that is the problem. everything naruto does is about sasuke. he can't do anything (eg. becoming hokage, having love life, bringing peace etc.) without saving sasuke.

how influential the protagonist is? at this point, Madara cannot start the war without sasuke. naruto cannot save the world without sasuke. sakura cannot become a horrible fangirl without sasuke. chain of hatred cannot be broken without sasuke. but without naruto? everything can happen with a little change in the plan. it has become that type of manga in which the manga cannot continue without the antagonistic, but can very much continue without the protagonist.
    Naruto Forever

21. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by darkprince0521 View Post
    it is not a very good explanation that "because this manga isn't over yet, we cannot comment". so far we have seen the storyline in part 2, it is always about sasuke. where sasuke is, how naruto will find sasuke, what does naruto, sakura or others think about sasuke etc. yes, we don't know what will happen next. but the comment is based on the manga we had so far and also based on kishi's interview. and things doesn't look so promising.
    U can comment all U want...but that's a matter of opinion, while determining character types needs a bit of objectivity...one might ask that why do I keep using the terms while I'm stating that the manga is not over?Becuz until this last chapter I think Naruto is the protagonist, and objective terminology helps me to prove it...
    I'm aware of the fact that a protagonist can change in the middle of the story...but until now...it's still naruto
    Kishi's interview mentioned that great changes will occur after the fight with danzou...he also said he would write naruto vs. sasuke as a final act...how are the latest chapters supporting this...
    Kishi didn't decide on the details of the story, yet IMO...so using terminology while we don't even have a clue what the story is about is not helping the discussion...it's good to have UR opinion and I respect every opinion...cuz that's why I visit this place...to see opinions of other people...but terminology is general, and while certain works might twist certain terms, it's not the case here IMO...
    I don't think the future isn't so promising...we had naruto sharing screentime with sasuke...if U are curious, a few members posted this pages ago
    Basically I don't agree, but that's all...we're challenging each other's opinions and not the knowledge and interpretation of objective terminology

your explanation for Kishi developing a character with majestic words or fights or great failures etc. fits for sasuke pretty much; not for naruto. except "i have to save sasuke" we have nothing from naruto. it is implied that naruto's goal is connected to sasuke.
    Naruto's goal is connected to sasuke that's true...and I said why...it's how protagonist and antagonist should be from the classical point of view...
    And I can't believe U can't remember majestic words, fights and failures of Naruto, except "I have to save Sasuke"...

yeah, orochimaru was the main antagonistic back then. but what his ambition was? to destroy leaf and gaining sasuke. he had no interest in naruto. but still, that storyline was better. because we had so many variables back that time.

it wasn't on naruto's expense. because we didn't see hundred pages of orochimaru's flashback. neither we saw how orochimaru built otokage or how he gained immortality etc. all we saw that orochimaru is in action and wants to destroy leaf, and it was good enough.
    Sasuke is the closest person to Naruto...it was explained in this last chapter, but other chapters as well...Sasuke turning out to be an antagonist is important to the story, that's why we get sooo much of Sasuke...
    Probably U don't like that, or becuz of that U think that the current plot is better...that's okay....but that holds no relevance to who is protagonist or antagonist...
    character development, i wonder who had it more; naruto or sasuke? we didn't even know how naruto feels about his father and being a jinchurikki until he punched Minato. on the other hand, we know everything there is to know about sasuke and even more than that.

and the development of others who will have contribution in the upcoming wars, we will see how many characters have the kind of development that sasuke had.
    When character development is the question, do we really need the number of pages to follow him...Naruto's personality didn't change that much, and what changes he underwent don't need a close following, becuz his decisions are the elements of surprise of the manga...I'm just merely stating something that I noticed in Kishi's style...
    We didn't know how did he feel being a jinchuuriki? Was the Gaara arc a waste then?Or every arc after that where Naruto appeared...
    And Naruto discovered that Minato was his father in that moment so...I don't quite see where these elements in Naruto's development(to note: they are not the only ones) are lesser than Sasuke's development...

None of the characters who will participate in the war won't receive such development as Sasuke...becuz Sasuke is the antagonist...at least until this point in the manga...he is clearly the primary character who opposes Naruto, the protagonist...that makes him the antagonist...

yes. that is the problem. everything naruto does is about sasuke. he can't do anything (eg. becoming hokage, having love life, bringing peace etc.) without saving sasuke.

how influential the protagonist is? at this point, Madara cannot start the war without sasuke. naruto cannot save the world without sasuke. sakura cannot become a horrible fangirl without sasuke. chain of hatred cannot be broken without sasuke. but without naruto? everything can happen with a little change in the plan. it has become that type of manga in which the manga cannot continue without the antagonistic, but can very much continue without the protagonist.
    Hokage is the pillar of the village...he defends the ones he loves with his life...
    Naruto wants to bring peace?
    Naruto lost somebody who was like a bro to him after a crappy childhood...

I don't see what is the problem if Sasuke is the common point of all these...putting aside the fact that currently Madara is threatening world peace...
    That's what ties Naruto to Sasuke...but the relationship is not unidirectional...
    Naruto represents a constant obstacle for Sasuke, Naruto represents Leaf the village that murdered the Uchiha...
    So it's like Senju vs. Uchiha in this conflict, which in the end comes down to 2 character:Naruto and Sasuke
    Sasuke is within the chain of hatred...of course defeating him won't be enough, cuz madara is still there...but when Madara won't be alive, sasuke might take over his place...so that's why the chain of hatred is related to Sasuke...but saving Sasuke won't break the chain, I think U misunderstood the concept of chain

And there's no way Naruto can miss from the story...to not enter in terminology and character development area again...just take the simplest example, one plot element:the Jyuubi...

Bottom line: subjectiveness and random examples are not enough to determine character types...opinions are valuable and are to be respected, but I think it's no help when a little bit of objectivity comes into play
    Last edited by benelori; March 06, 2010 at 09:25 AM.

23. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

So, what do you look for to identify to identify the protagonist? The simplest means is to see which character is the largest driving force behind the plot.
    Actually, in many, if not most fighting shounen (Bleach, Dragonball, Reborn and One Piece to an extent, to name a few) the protagonist is not the primary driving force behind plot and reacts most of the time.

The real plot driver in the above mentioned mangas is not the protagoist, but the main antagonist.

In Bleach, it is Aizen, who triggered the two greatest arcs, in Reborn it is Byakuran and the last main events of One Piece happened, because Black Beard captured Ace.

In Naruto, Sasuke could be the main driving force behind the plot because he is an antagonist right now, but he isn´t even that. The real plot driver is no other than Madara.

The guy is pretty much the source for all events in Part II. Beginning from the foundation of Akatsuki, over the Pain Invasion and other Akatsuki attacks to all of Sasuke´s actions after the revelation of Itachi. Sure, Sasuke did the fighting instead of Madara, but in the end Sasuke did exactly what Madara wanted. It was Madara, who guided Sasuke to his fights and decided when, where and who Sasuke fights. To put it harshly, Sasuke is nothing more than a tool to Madara with the purpose of serving him.

I´m not going to downplay Sasuke´s role in the manga, because he plays too many important roles. He is a source of determination of the hero and with that a catalysator for the heros growth. He is also a character, that opposes the hero and represents the things, that the hero is set up to change (the history of the uchia is a prime example for the chain of hatred), albeit an antagonist. In the end, he is the main goal for the hero. Being a goal just not makes you the protagonist or lead character.

I will try to explain it a little bit more on the most used scenario in fighting shonen.

You have a hero, who has people dear to him. A bad guy appears and sets the plot in motion, because he attacks the hero and his friends. The hero becomes stronger to protect himself and his dear ones and to save them. They represent the goal of the hero and the rescue and protection of them becomes the centre of the plot.

Who is now the protagonist/lead character? According to your definition of the plot driver, it is the bad guy and according to the centre of the plot, it is the persons dear to the hero.

By that definition, Goku, Ichigo, Tsuna, Ikki, partially Luffy, Inuyasha, Yoshimori and many other shounen heros are not protagonists.

Do you agree with that?

Quote Quote:
    Are the majority of plot threads tied to Naruto? No. In truth, the plot threads that were linked to Naruto's character (Hogake, Kyuubi, Akatsuki, Cycle of Hatred, etc.) have been directly linked to Sasuke's character at Naruto's expense.
    Yes, some plot threads are linked to Sasuke, but that doesn´t take them away from Naruto. And since Sasuke´s revenge plot is now directed to Konoha, it is also linked to Naruto. Does that damage his role in the manga? No.

In my opinion your sentence shows exactly, what the dependent factor is for Sasukes importance in the manga: The bond to Naruto. Wouldn´t Naruto care that much about Sasuke, wouldn´t he be an important goal for Naruto, Sasukes role would be significant smaller. In this case, Sasuke would just be a villian like Nagato with a more fleshed out background.

Would Sasuke be the main character, he wouldn´t need to be tied so closely to Narutos character in the first place. But again, Sasuke is not the protagonist. He is Naruto´s goal and also an obstacle. To make that goal greater, Kishimoto tied the rescue of Sasuke with the other goals of Naruto.

On the other hand, Naruto has also plot threads that have very little to do with Sasuke. The connection with Kyuubi and his role in the next war are such examples. Even without Sasuke, Naruto would be the Kyuubi Jinchurriki and Akatsuki would hunt him. That also makes his role in the upcoming way more vital than Sasuke´s. Sasuke is right now nothing more than a soldier for Madara. Naruto however is the main reason for that war.

After that you listed Narutos accomplishments in Part I. This has not that much to do with the question, if Naruto is the protagonist, but I bite. Lets see, if I can find instances in Part II like you listed.

Quote Quote:
    Whose actions caused the Wave Country to become a better place? Naruto.
    Who saved Gaara with the help of Chiyo? Naruto. But I guess, this doesn´t count, because Narutos main reason to went after Akatsuki in this arc was Sasuke, right? Is had nothing to do with the intimate Danger to Gaaras life, right?
    The mentions of Sasuke and Orochimaru, who were mostly at the end of the arc was a common used plot device by authors: An arc bridge. A device to connect two different arc.

Quote Quote:
    Whose actions brightened the lives of people such as Gaara, Neji, Tsunade, and Hinata? Naruto
    Oh yeah, he didn´t do that in Part II..........., if we forget about Chiyo, Sai, Jiraiya and Nagato.

Quote Quote:
    Whose actions were pivotal in saving Konoha from absolute destruction during Oro's invasion? Naruto.
    Who defeated Pain, saved Konoha and is since then viewed as a hero? Naruto. That doesn´t count either, because one of the effects of Narutos character development was a better understanding of Sasuke, right? It was not about Jiraiyas memento, which became his new ideology, the dark actions of the leaf and the chain of hatred...
    Just a small question: How many times did Naruto mentioned Sasukes name in this arc since he found out about Jiraiyas death?
    Kishimoto used here the same plot device like in the Gaara arc.

Quote Quote:
    Whose actions helped bring Konoha a new Hogake after Hiruzen was killed? Naruto.
    Who defeated Kakuzu? Naruto, but that also don´t works, because Sasuke was used as a foil here, huh? Nevermind, that this happened numerous times in Part I aswell.

Quote Quote:
    Sure, Sasuke played an important role in Naruto's character, but he was one of several characters that added to Naruto's character. Other characters who played important roles were Haku, Zabuza, Kakashi, Hinata, Lee, and Jiraiya.
    Do you really believe, that Sasuke was the only influence on Naruto in Part II? What about Yamatos advice about Kyuubi, Jiriayas death, Shikamarus cheering words or Nagatos speech about the chain of hatred?

Quote Quote:
    At this point in time as well, Sasuke had little to do with Naruto becoming Hogake, Akatsuki, etc.
    He was still his rival, a boy he wanted to fight and surpass. For a boy, who wants to be Hokage, albeit the strongest ninja in the village, it is pretty important.

Quote Quote:
    Thus, Naruto was the protagonist since his actions were one of the largest driving forces and the majority of plot threads revolved around him.
    Not really. Here is a short overview of Part I

Beginning:

Plot driver: Mizuki, later Kakashi

Introduction of Naruto. Naruto becoming a Genin was triggered by Mizuki tricking him to steal the scroll.

Later introduction of the rest of Team 7 and other characters.

Wave arc:

Plot driver: bridge builder, Gatou/Zabuza/Haku

Began with the mission request of the bridge builder (forget the name), followed by Zabuzas first attack--> Team 7 reacted. After that was a short training arc. Zabuzas second attack--> Team 7 reacted. The real plot driver was here Gatou, who was Zabuzas superior.

Chuunin exam:

Plot driver: Orochimaru, Tournament

Typical tournament arc. Plot driver was here the tournament itself in the beginning. Later Orochimaru took over. Then the one on one battles happened. Plot thread "loser" was introduced, but this was nothing for Naruto alone. He shared it with Lee and Hinata. This plot tread was resolved in the Neji fight.

Sand invasion:

Plot driver: Orochimaru

Sand and Sound attacked, Konoha reacted.
    Introduced the plot thread "loneliness" and "will of fire". "Loneliness" was shared by Naruto and Gaara. "Will of fire" was shared by Hiruzen, Naruto, Sakura and Sasuke.
    Concluded with the death of Hiruzen and the victory of Naruto.

Intro of Itachi and Akatsuki

Plot driver: Itachi

Itachi appears and Akatsuki is introduced. Kakashi is put in a coma. Jirayas is offered the position of the 5th hokage. He declines and refers to Tsunade. Sannin arc begins (This is a perfect example for an arch bridge, by the way)

Sannin Arc:

Plot driver: Jiraiya, Itachi and later Orochimaru

Jirayas asks Naruto to come with him. Naruto declines at first, but agrees when Jiraiyas offers him to teach a jutsu that rivals Sasukes chidori (Naruto reacts once again). They begin training, encounter Itachi and meet Tsunade. Smirkish between Tsunade and Naruto, which leads to suggestion of the bet by Tsunade. Naruto accepts (Reaction). Further training and Sannin battle. Naruto intervenes Tsunade vs. Kabuto and the "gutsy ninja" plot thread is further inforced. This is a plot thread which is pretty special (Jiraiya takes it at the end of the Pain battle, though) to him and is it even now. Orochimaru retreats and Tsunade accepts the offer of the hokage seat.

Rescue Sasuke arc:

Plot driver: Orochimaru/Sound 5, Tsunade, Sasuke

Begins with Tsunade healing Kakashi and Sasuke. Followed by the rooftop fight (Naruto accepts Sasukes challenge). Sound 4 comes to Konoha and influence Sasuke-> Departure of Sasuke. Tsunade gives Shikamaru the mission to bring Sasuke back. Several fights and of course the VotE. Concludes with Sasukes victory and Jiraiyas offer to train Naruto.

As you can see, only a very small amount of plot was really driven by Naruto. He does that, what many protagonist do. He flows with the plot and challenges the obstacles the plot brings up.

Quote Quote:
    Sasuke couldn't even be considered the protagonist at this point in time, especially since a good chunk of his screentime was Sasuke reacting to Naruto's actions.
    No. The action-reaction quota between them is in Part I actually pretty even. They impressed each other and pushed each other forward. Typical for a rivalry.

So, now I´m tired and I think I answered the other questions in your post already. The post is long enough.
    Last edited by Sphaero; March 06, 2010 at 02:15 PM.

25. Thanks 4 Member(s) thanked this post
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member kthy0056's Avatar
    Country
    Romania
    Post Thanks / Like

EDIT: Sorry for not reading Sphaero's post, he said mainly the same thing I did, but better.

Not really, Iruka was important to Naruto in the first chapter or so. After that, he was merely an adviser of sort, and one of his friends. But he's outside of the major plot, nonetheless.

Has Naruto caused the majority of plot developments for Part II? No. Are the majority of plot threads tied to Naruto?
    Villains are supposed to do that. It's basic plot, the bad guy does something bad, the good guy repairs. Naruto saved Gaara, helped in defeating Kakuzu, saved Konoha, defeated Pain. The villains did the bad things, just as Sasuke did. Wha', if Madara is baking all the schemes from the manga, does that make him the protagonist? No.

This is a stark contrast to Part I. Whose actions caused the Wave Country to become a better place? Naruto.
    Team 7 . Yeah, he was vital in gaining trust from that place. Just as he gained trust from the Leaf and Sand village after saving them or their Kage. And we aren't talking about small and insignificant village, we're talking about 2 of the biggest of them. He's the hero of Konoha, which means more than the hero of the Wave village.

Whose actions brightened the lives of people such as Gaara, Neji, Tsunade, and Hinata? Naruto.
    And Sasuke's actions brightened the life of even one person? No. Plus, Naruto managed the same thing with you said with Sai and Pain in Part II also.

Whose actions were pivotal in saving Konoha from absolute destruction during Oro's invasion? Naruto.
    Jiraya and Hiruzen AND Naruto. Naruto mainly wanted to help Sasuke and Sakura, not to be a hero in Konoha.

Whose actions helped Team Shikamaru catch up to Sasuke? Naruto.
    He also helped in part II, during the Sasuke rescue mission. If anything, the last arc of the first part is helping your theory, that Sasuke is the main character, not otherwise.

Sure, Sasuke played an important role in Naruto's character, but he was one of several characters that added to Naruto's character. Other characters who played important roles were Haku, Zabuza, Kakashi, Hinata, Lee, and Jiraiya.
    Their role was insignificant, mostly episodic. Just as Sai, Kakashi, Sakura, Hinata and Jiraya, Pain, Frog Pa (through his death), Shikamaru played an episodic role in part II.

Sasuke couldn't even be considered the protagonist at this point in time, especially since a good chunk of his screentime was Sasuke reacting to Naruto's actions.
    Wrong, Orochimaru, the main villain of Part I, didn't even had a relation with Naruto. He never gave a crap about him, his only interest being Sasuke. The last arc was having Sasuke directly as a pivotal role to the plot. And even the previous arcs, such as Zabuza arc, were still influenced by Sasuke. Naruto went Kyuubi just when Sasuke was supposedly dead.
    That's hypocrisy, to say that Naruto's every action is revolved around Sasuke while denying that in the first part it wasn't so. He learned FRS and Rasengan originally, just to rival Sasuke's Chidori, nothing more, nothing less.

In the Gaara Arc, the chief reason Naruto began pursuing Akatsuki was because it could lead him to Sasuke. In the Pein Arc, you have Pein telling Naruto his Sasuke chasing is useless and Naruto's remarks about understanding Sasuke's reason(s) for pursuing vengeance.
    1. What?
    2. wut?
    Naruto was pursuing Akatsuki to save Gaara, it didn't had anything to do with Sasuke. He was with Orochimaru during that time. And with Pain, that doesn't mean anything. He fought Nagato to save his village, not Sasuke. Being mentioned just showed that he is important to Naruto, nothing else.

Which basically means that Part II has a more clear goal of what was provided in Part I. He wants to change the Ninja world by stopping the most powerful of them and rescuing his friend instead of killing him.

Sasuke is more important to the plot, but still not a protagonist. If the author keeps his streaks of Sasuke-oriented chapters, then I say that he is the main character. But, at the moment, I still see Naruto as the one that really matters.

27. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
New Reply
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 3 11 12 13 14 LastLast