Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/7/14 - 7/13/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 502 by kewl0210 , Bleach 588 (2)

View Poll Results: Do you feel that Masashi Kishimoto is sexist?

Voters
437. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    192 43.94%
  • No

    245 56.06%
New Reply
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast
Results 586 to 600 of 737

Thread: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

  1. #586
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    360
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    I disagree with you on Konan.

    So far she has been the only person to come close to killing him.

    He barely survived and that was only because of an uchihaxx asspull power.

    Tobi was in terrible shape even after using his asspull power.

    Be the Ultimate Ninja! Play Billy Vs. SNAKEMAN today!

  2. #587
    Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity KiSwordsman's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Country
    United States
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,697
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    Quote Originally Posted by kanamechidori View Post
    I disagree with you on Konan.

    So far she has been the only person to come close to killing him.

    He barely survived and that was only because of an uchihaxx asspull power.

    Tobi was in terrible shape even after using his asspull power.
    Does it really matter that she was close to killing Tobi? In reality, the only reason she got as far she did was because Tobi saved her to save himself. Even if he haven't saved her, it would've amounted to her killing herself to kill her opponent. And Konan, being as smart and analytical as she was, having mountains of Intel on her opponent, and knowing the reason that he even came to the rain village in the first place, still failed to destroy Nagato's eyes.

    Which ultimately means, out of all Akatsuki she has accomplished the least.


    Itachi – destroyed the Uchiha clan
    Kisame – captured the four tales, and Intel tell for Akatsuki
    Deidara – captured Gaara and the three tails
    Sasori – initiated the second world war (third Kazekage) killed third Kazekage and turned him into a tool for his own purposes
    Hidan – killed Asuma, captured two tails
    Kakazu – fought Hashirama, captured two tails
    Zetsu – soldiers for Akatsuki Army
    Nagato – killed Jiraiya and destroyed the leaf Village
    Konan –?

    Don't you think things are a little lopsided here.
    Last edited by KiSwordsman; March 15, 2012 at 11:08 AM.

  3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  4. #588
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    N/A
    Country
    Singapore
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    580
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    there are pragmatic differences in female and male biology.

    failing to recognise so is a mark of stupidity, not sexual equality.

    the world is unfair that way. not everyone always has a way to balance out when he/she loses in a certain aspect.

    also the part about being sex objects with tsunade as an example, females are like that. a lot of females would preen themselves at the expense of their time, money and sometimes health. it's a recognised behaviour associated with female biological instincts.

    I don't see you talking about chiyo and grandma frog.

  5. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  6. #589
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member Franklyn D. Kieran's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    England
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Age
    19
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    236
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    Well, Kishimoto did once state that he doesn't understand a woman's heart. I don't think it's so much that he is trying to be sexist, I think it's more like he doesn't really understand women. Also with the whole big chest thing, his target audience is teenage boys? so it's not surprising he includes things like that as fan service for majority of his audience.

    That's just my take on it anyway.


    This must be how Anti-Obito Theorists felt when Kishimoto revealed Tobi as Obito.

  7. #590
    MH Senpai MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Uriel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Westeros
    Country
    Argentina
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    5,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    Quote Originally Posted by hyper_megaman View Post
    also the part about being sex objects with tsunade as an example, females are like that. a lot of females would preen themselves at the expense of their time, money and sometimes health. it's a recognised behaviour associated with female biological instincts.
    Males are like that as well and I don't see any reference to it. :/ Your phrase, right there, is more sexist that you can imagine.
    Kishimoto is sexist, only not a such high degree. But it's not his fault, most mangakas and most people in the world is because overall people is just plain stupid.

    If you want a non-sexist series, I recommend seeing Avatar: The Last Airbender and Avatar: Legend of Korra.
    The Sky is pouring
    The wind is blowing
    The sea looks red,
    a surging sea of flames
    looks like the entrance to hell
    'Perfect', the captain said.

  8. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  9. #591
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Venice
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    well,in the latest chapters tsunade has shown to be even stronger than A.is kishimoto changing his mind? and his point of view towards women?
    Last edited by mattiaildivino; March 24, 2012 at 05:55 PM.

  10. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  11. #592
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Exodi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Country
    United States
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,799
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    When did Kishimoto ever have a negative view towards women?

  12. #593
    Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner Depravity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Country
    United States
    Posts
    20
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    If we take sexism defined as: "Discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of the opposite sex" - Wordnet.Princeton then I see no such notion occurring or being stressed in Kishimoto's manga. Women are not oppressed, abused, nor are they discriminated against within the general spectrum of Naruto -- though technicalities aside, we can certainly deduce that women are not on equal par with the men in Naruto. As many have already pointed out, the women are generally the weakest within their peer group(s) - this stems from the Genin teams to even through the Sannins. But, I find it to be too much of a stretch to simply claim Kishimoto is sexist because the women are not quite onto par with the men: perhaps Kishi simply is horrendous at female development? I find that to be quite the healthy alternative, aside from immediately branding him a sexist - Sakura, Ino, Tenten, and Hinata have little to no significance within the overall plot, with the latter of the four possessing no notable dynamicy whatsoever. Kishi himself has stated that he truly wanted to portray Sakura as a strong heroine when the entire spectacle with Sasuke and Naruto occurred(when Sasuke revealed his goal to destroy Konoha to both Naruto and Kakashi) - clearly this is a testament to the fact that he has no idea what he's doing.

    However, branding him a sexist because of this is a little fatuous - any Otaku can tell you poor female development and low female prowess isn't limited to Naruto, and it certainly isn't only observed in Shounen; Death Note and Liar Game are just two quick examples of manga that portray women in an inferior light. It's quite evident in many different types of manga all throughout Japan. Though I can ramble about this for quite a bit, when it comes down to its fulcrum, I find the inferior portrayal of women at points to be more of a cultural issue than anything. But then again, that does not mean that one cannot make a conscious choice to bridge away from what the stereotypical portrayal of women is. Mangas such as Claymore and Freezing portray women as the strongest of the herd, the gender that possess the most power and potential. Granted, there is no true equilibrium within the mentioned mangas, so I suppose that does not aid Japan's case regardless.

    To recap, Kishimoto isn't himself a sexist in the technical sense. He simply is a misguided individual when it comes to equaling out the power balance between men and women within his manga - which, though definitely not limited to him, is most plausibly a direct result of the cultural influence around him and his own writing prowess.

  13. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  14. #594
    Registered User 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! mattiaildivino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Venice
    Country
    Italy
    Age
    20
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    9,098
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Exodi View Post
    When did Kishimoto ever have a negative view towards women?
    he viewes them as "useless,at least in the manga. and he stated that he doesn't understand women himself

  15. #595
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Necron's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    germany
    Country
    Germany
    Age
    24
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    636
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    I'm already a little afraid to post something here because this seems to be a pretty serious issue for some people O.o
    But I'll do my best to not insult anyone:

    If you ask me Kishi is by far not the worst of the famous Mangaka when discussing this problem. Just look at the way Kubo is drawing his women. Most of them have like F-cup at least, with only few exceptions. Besides Harribel all Espada were male and in the really big fights no woman was ever involved aside from supporting the good guys.
    Oda is pretty ridiculous too: Nami, Hancock, Robin, Vivi and the list goes on... all 90-60-90 top models and again I can't really remember any of those doing something major in the big fights other than most of them being protected or rescued by the crew. We also have fairy tail and don't get me started on Gantz... and probably a lot more I have no idea about.

    So if I actually think about it, females in Naruto are a lot better off. Mei and Tsunade are actually kicking some ass at the moment and they are the leading shinobi from 2 out of the 5 biggest countries. Hinata showed some balls against Pain (and I think it wouldn't have helped if it was Shikamaru or Lee who jumped in, because Pain would have owned anyway...). Sakura, well, she's just unlucky. But then we also have Kushina, who is portrayed as a very strong woman (granted she had to be saved by Minato, but her kidnapping had an actual reason) and if someone can handle the Ninetails ass like she can you better respect her. Also the wife of the first Hokage was mentioned a few times and it seems like she was quite the person aswell. Tsuchikages granddaughter, Temari, a few girls from Raikages team, they all have some cool skills.

    I can see how people would still be upset about the females in this manga, but the explanation that makes the most sense to me, would make kishi more of a businessman than a sexist.
    I would guess that the biggest part of Naruto fans are boys between 10 and 20 or whatever (and I'm not saying it SHOULD be that way, but just image that statistics are this way), and those need charakters they can identify themselves with. And Kishi knows that, well at least I think that's how it is.

    On a final note though, the way I see it Kishi even parodied perverts when he introduced Jiraya. The guy always spies on women and every now and then Tsunade beats him up (Breaking six of his ribbs in the process!! ò.Ó )
    My Deviant Art
    But don't expect any Manga drawing here, haven't done that in a long time.

  16. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  17. #596
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Brill's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    874
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    Quote Originally Posted by Derpravity View Post
    If we take sexism defined as: "Discriminatory or abusive behavior towards members of the opposite sex" - Wordnet.Princeton then I see no such notion occurring or being stressed in Kishimoto's manga. Women are not oppressed, abused, nor are they discriminated against within the general spectrum of Naruto -- though technicalities aside, we can certainly deduce that women are not on equal par with the men in Naruto. As many have already pointed out, the women are generally the weakest within their peer group(s) - this stems from the Genin teams to even through the Sannins. But, I find it to be too much of a stretch to simply claim Kishimoto is sexist because the women are not quite onto par with the men: perhaps Kishi simply is horrendous at female development? I find that to be quite the healthy alternative, aside from immediately branding him a sexist - Sakura, Ino, Tenten, and Hinata have little to no significance within the overall plot, with the latter of the four possessing no notable dynamicy whatsoever. Kishi himself has stated that he truly wanted to portray Sakura as a strong heroine when the entire spectacle with Sasuke and Naruto occurred(when Sasuke revealed his goal to destroy Konoha to both Naruto and Kakashi) - clearly this is a testament to the fact that he has no idea what he's doing.

    However, branding him a sexist because of this is a little fatuous - any Otaku can tell you poor female development and low female prowess isn't limited to Naruto, and it certainly isn't only observed in Shounen; Death Note and Liar Game are just two quick examples of manga that portray women in an inferior light. It's quite evident in many different types of manga all throughout Japan. Though I can ramble about this for quite a bit, when it comes down to its fulcrum, I find the inferior portrayal of women at points to be more of a cultural issue than anything. But then again, that does not mean that one cannot make a conscious choice to bridge away from what the stereotypical portrayal of women is. Mangas such as Claymore and Freezing portray women as the strongest of the herd, the gender that possess the most power and potential. Granted, there is no true equilibrium within the mentioned mangas, so I suppose that does not aid Japan's case regardless.

    To recap, Kishimoto isn't himself a sexist in the technical sense. He simply is a misguided individual when it comes to equaling out the power balance between men and women within his manga - which, though definitely not limited to him, is most plausibly a direct result of the cultural influence around him and his own writing prowess.
    While I agree with many of the points, I wouldn't call Kishi's misguided notions as cultural, it's more on par with universal. It's not relegated to manga or even Japan, it's present in Western stories and movies as well. Hell, even Harry Potter has it. You think Hermione would survive a stand alone fight if she didn't have magic to help out (and punching Draco doesn't count)? Even the women of Claymore and the Pandoras of Freezing had implants to make them superior to men, and even then they needed men in some loosely "limiting" capacity. Even the almightly Lina Innverse uses magic as the method to obtain what she wants even though she has some swordswoman skills.

    Men are physically stronger than women. Minus special training a man usually wins over a woman in a physical fight. How this is portrayed in any medium depends on the creator. Kishi had a neutral institution, chakra, dependent upon the powers of the body and spirit. So statistically speaking, one of the Konoha girls should be the dominant player of their squads. However, Kishi favored physical power over spiritual so the boys come out on top, and seeing that this is a teenage boys series it's not too surprising. Does that make him sexist? No more than any director of any action show out there aside from Lt. Ripley or the girl from Hunger Games. But theses are solo roles. Making a society where women are physically superior to men or on par with men is going to be a tough sell to any guy with an ounce of testosterone in him, and that's your target audience.

    The women in Naruto aren't opressed, submissive, docile women who have no apirations of their own. Their aspirations are a bit limited in that they only want to hook up with boys or be like Tsunade, but that is a result of poor characterization which Kishi admits he struggles with. That doesn't make him sexist just a poor writer when it comes to women. Kishi doesn't exploit women though fanservice, and they're not airheads or sex objects. They unfortunately are the victims of poor characterization who cheer from the sidelines, get saved too many times, whose offensive capabilites are below par, and haven't defeated an opponent without assistance. That doesn't make Kishi sexist, just a shounen writer.
    Last edited by Brill; March 29, 2012 at 02:10 PM.

  18. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  19. #597
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member feisu-chan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    bubble wrapped somewhere
    Country
    Philippines
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    250
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    It's funny that I haven't been lurking in MH for quite a while and when I visited this forum, this thread was alive. I haven't read the recent posts, but will get to it after this. I'm glad that this was bumped recently for I have seethed while reading the previous chapter. Look at this picture:

    It's frustrating to see all Team 7 having the major fights of their lives, but where was Sakura in all of these. Again, I am not an avid Sakura fan. But I just find it unfair that the main heroine is once again benched under the shadows of his male team mates. It's sad. Times like these, I wish Kishi never created a female member of Team 7 at all. It's just sad to see her just looking over to her teammates when by this time she should have been shining, if not totally on par, with the rest of the team.

    Is Kishimoto sexist? No. I still maintain my past answer. He's just gender insensitive and knows isht in writing female characters.

  20. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
  21. #598
    Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Country
    US Virgin Islands
    Age
    26
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    121
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    What is your definition of sexism?

    Q :Is your problem that you feel Women are made to feel weak in this manga?

    A: The title Kage means strongest in the village, At this point there are two out of 5 shinobi who are WOMEN and recognized as the current strongest of their entire village.

    Q: But Sentazar, Those women have personality faults and they're not perfect! Look Tsunade has huge tits and Mizukage scares men because she is so strong!

    A: All 5 Kages have strengths,weaknesses and personality quirks.

    Tsuchikage : Flying +Expansion(Str), Bad Back (WKNS), Grumpy old man(Quirk) : Can be seen as "Old Men are Weak"
    Raikage : Speed/Strength (Str), Impulsive (Weakness), Seen Crying a lot(Quirk) Has huge muscles to appeal to boys and girls (Same as your "OMG SHE HAS BIG BOOBS EYE CANDY!"
    Kazekage : Controls Sand (STR), Premature/Weak Body(Weakness), Overly Emotional and Inexperienced "Young boys are crybabies"

    Mizukage : Expansion, Intelligence (Str) No noted weaknesses thus far, Personality quirk = feels she is running out of time with men (I hate to tell you this but women actually DO FEEL THIS WAY I know you may not be an adult yet but a lot of girls at 27+ feel like theyre running out of time to get married and have kids)

    I don't know what to tell you but this sexism that you feel may be from yourself.

    Why is it so bad for women to fill the roles that they fill? Or Men? Its like saying "Its sexist to ask a woman to be a mother" Who am i going to ask a male? Is it sexist to not ask the 5 foot 10 petite girl to pick up the huge cinder blocks and ask the guy to do it? Honestly.

  22. #599
    MH's Most High Quality Poster 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member earthforge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Country
    United States
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    1,539
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    Quote Originally Posted by sentazar View Post
    A: The title Kage means strongest in the village, At this point there are two out of 5 shinobi who are WOMEN and recognized as the current strongest of their entire village.
    They are distinctively weaker and admit that a cause of weakness is being female. I'm never going to admit I am weak because I am a woman, as I'm never admitting I'm weak because I am a scientist or because I like cats. I am who I am, and I will become better than anyone else. Determination is as simple as that.

    Quote Quote:
    Q: But Sentazar, Those women have personality faults and they're not perfect! Look Tsunade has huge tits and Mizukage scares men because she is so strong!
    I'm good with big busts (runs in the family). It's more that Mizukage is almost misanthropic and alien, as her attitude is more than a little strange.

    Quote Quote:
    Why is it so bad for women to fill the roles that they fill? Or Men? Its like saying "Its sexist to ask a woman to be a mother" Who am i going to ask a male? Is it sexist to not ask the 5 foot 10 petite girl to pick up the huge cinder blocks and ask the guy to do it? Honestly.
    Never forget that in Africa, women often have to carry truckloads of water. They are able to do it by using different muscle groups. At the same time, a lot of guys are in nursing since it utilizes their upperbody strength. Though males have a body build for brute force and upperbody strength, women are built for stamina (we have to survive childbirth, and that is an insane stress on the body.)

    Never underestimate women or men.
    Avatar © Chelsea Gordon, author of Not Quite Normal.

  23. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
  24. #600
    Registered User 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member GomuGomu_Getsuga's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Country
    United States
    Age
    22
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    481
    Post Thanks / Like

    Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

    Honestly I do believe Kishimoto is either sexist or gay. The way he carries the female characters in his stories is very poor. He makes you hate them much more than like. There have been many "Gay" moments in Naruto compared to boy on girl action. Lets look at One Piece. There are gay men in OP and sex seems to be the last thing on Luffy's mind but I can tell that Oda like women by how he tells his story. Oda enjoys drawing women and making them attractive both physically and personality-wise. In Naruto the male characters are drawn more attractive than the female characters. Haku and Deidara are like the cutest characters in the series and they're both dudes. I'm not being mean or biased towards Kishi but I do believe the undertones in Naruto speak for themselves.

  25. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
New Reply
Page 40 of 50 FirstFirst ... 30 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts