Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma

View Poll Results: Do you feel that Masashi Kishimoto is sexist?

Voters
437. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

192 43.94%
  • No

245 56.06%
New Reply
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast

Thread: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Australia
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    I just do not buy into the perception that women are not as effective of a fighter as an equivalent man.

While it's certainly true that women, lacking the same amount of the hormone testosterone, tend to develop less muscle mass and physical strength as an equivalent male counterpart. The reality of non-contest fighting is that the strength and muscle mass is not as big an advantage as people often consider it to be and often limits flexibility.

A true grappler, like someone skilled at judo for example, will use skilled footwork to conquer your center of gravity and then use minimal force to break/dislocate bones and hyper-extend joints. Skill is far more important then strength for this; and this is true of most really effective combat arts.

Another example would be that I might be able to beat a female kung fu practitioner more skilled than myself in arm wrestling, but if I were to fight that same person she'd probably break every one of my fingers and just generally demolish me as I writhe in unimaginable pain. Strength isn't even really a part of that equation; and it's amazing how often that's true.

-----------------------------------------------------

I just think the reality is that the actual combat difference between trained men and women is insignificant. And that should only become more so when you apply weaponry and supernatural ninja skills.

I mean, if two people are trying to stab each other to death what does it matter who can bench press more? The one who is faster, more skilled, and more fearless is the one with the real advantage.
    I believe the point is if that woman you are talking about were to fight a male with EXACTLY THE SAME kung fu skillset and experience as her 10 times - she would likely lose 8 times out of 10. Perhaps more. Which is exactly where the segregation of sports comes in.

I think this is very easy to see in modern times. Take the number one male tennis player and the number one female tennis player in the world. Top athletes of both genders both train extensively daily. In terms of experience and effort there is probably minimal difference. But you will find that in a serious match the woman will get destroyed. I use tennis as it is a sport that is agility and skill based - and it is one of the very few sports which does allow for mixed gender matches. Do you know the tactic that professional tennis players are taught in mixed doubles? Hit it to the woman, that's because even in this sport one gender maintains an advantage. In fact, the only real reason it can be mixed gender is because her only needing to cover a small part of the court nullifies some of the disadvantages. The truth is, this is the same with the vast majority of physically straining sports.

Too many of you are falling back on what this skilled woman can do to this less skilled man. Well yes, a professional female tennis player will probably beat a semi-professional male player. But considering noone is (or should) question the value of training and talent in any individual I don't see why this matters.

As for the argument that this is a fantasy manga - well, yes. That is true. But every single work of fiction is derived from reality in some way. Some more then others. - And I offer a counter-argument to this. Perhaps the author wasn't making any statements about reality at all and since this is a purely fantastical manga derived from his own imagination perhaps in his world, completely separate to our own, women really are just weaker without delving into real world politics at all. Unlikely, perhaps, but it is an identical argument to "This is a fantasy manga so therefore anything can happen."
    Last edited by Boris999; May 09, 2012 at 12:32 AM.

2. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Uchiha_Blood's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

And yet Kishimoto made a woman the strongest, physically speaking, character of the manga ( Tsunade ) so really this whole gender dinstinction simply isn't there, not only that but it is a fictional manga, again, and apart from few characters we don't see actual physical abilities as being all that relevant, Gai and Rock Lee aside.

For example, Sasuke's combat style can be used by a girl, no problem:
    extensive use of shunshin ( a jutsu, not physical speed ) for high-speed movements, a magic eye to spout flames and everything, and incredible finesse and skills. Stamina isn't even a problem, since Tsunade, being a woman herself, has enormous chakra reserves.
    Same with Jinton, Muu's combat style, hell even Itachi's or Minato's!

A woman in Naruto can punch a giant monster in the face and kill it with a single blow ( Sakura vs one of Animal Realm's summons ), how many characters from the Rookie 12 can say the same?
    Chouji, and only thanks to his deus ex machina Aizen mode.
    Kishi made a good job in portraying that females do not are inferior to men, maybe not in numbers, but in quality. Even in the Madara pwnage, Mei and Tsunade are doing way more than A and Gaara, and as good as a job as Oonoki.

You can say that Kishi may be socially awkward, and thus hasn't any idea on how a woman's mind work and everything, and there I would agree, but in all honesty it can't be said that he is a sexist because Tsunade risponded to Madara's taunt or because mostly males are characters of relevance.
    At least he doesn't use women characters only as eye candy, but tries to give them relevance.

4. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Boris999 View Post
    I believe the point is if that woman you are talking about were to fight a male with EXACTLY THE SAME kung fu skillset and experience as her 10 times - she would likely lose 8 times out of 10. Perhaps more. Which is exactly where the segregation of sports comes in.

I think this is very easy to see in modern times. Take the number one male tennis player and the number one female tennis player in the world. Top athletes of both genders both train extensively daily. In terms of experience and effort there is probably minimal difference. But you will find that in a serious match the woman will get destroyed. I use tennis as it is a sport that is agility and skill based - and it is one of the very few sports which does allow for mixed gender matches. Do you know the tactic that professional tennis players are taught in mixed doubles? Hit it to the woman, that's because even in this sport one gender maintains an advantage. In fact, the only real reason it can be mixed gender is because her only needing to cover a small part of the court nullifies some of the disadvantages. The truth is, this is the same with the vast majority of physically straining sports.

Too many of you are falling back on what this skilled woman can do to this less skilled man. Well yes, a professional female tennis player will probably beat a semi-professional male player. But considering noone is (or should) question the value of training and talent in any individual I don't see why this matters.

As for the argument that this is a fantasy manga - well, yes. That is true. But every single work of fiction is derived from reality in some way. Some more then others. - And I offer a counter-argument to this. Perhaps the author wasn't making any statements about reality at all and since this is a purely fantastical manga derived from his own imagination perhaps in his world, completely separate to our own, women really are just weaker without delving into real world politics at all. Unlikely, perhaps, but it is an identical argument to "This is a fantasy manga so therefore anything can happen."
    Perhaps I'm being unclear.

I quite willing to admit a man IS physically stronger than an equivalent woman, and generally taller as well, which is indeed why many sports are gender divided. What I take issue with is the idea that those physical differences are all that significant in a true combat situation (like a knife fight or a hand to hand fight where people know what their doing and mean to do harm). One person being bigger and stronger than the other doesn't mean as much as people tend to think, fighting is not like playing "tug of war".

When you apply almost any kind of weaponry to that equation that advantage suddenly means close to nothing. What establishes the victor tends to be speed, skill, and fearlessness.

------------------------------------------------------

As for the quantity and quality of female fighters in Naruto. I don't think there is much question that their are less strong girls then guys. There are a few decent ones Tsunade, Mei, and Konan was pretty good too and then a whole lot of nothin' on the tiers below them.

But the difference in numbers really isn't it what bothers me, it the way those female characters are portrayed that does.

Mei is strong but she's also completely obsessed with marriage; she's a walking biological clock. Tsunade, though strong, is pretty clearly the weakest of the Sannin and by far the most prone to breaking down emotionally, and Konan was very much a subservient hanger-on to Nagato and Yahiko. And so many female characters are like that. Kurenai went from jounin to harmless housewife in a blink. Sakura deserves an Olympic gold medal for patheticness. And Hinata seems like she's stuck always being the least capable Hyuuga around.

Any one of those I wouldn't have a problem with individual. I mean, there is a logical rational for each but when you add them all together what does it say?
    Last edited by Jammin; May 09, 2012 at 11:01 AM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member IChallengeYou!'s Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    What I take issue with is the idea that those physical differences are all that significant in a true combat situation (like a knife fight or a hand to hand fight where people know what their doing and mean to do harm). One person being bigger and stronger than the other doesn't mean as much as people tend to think, fighting is not like playing "tug of war".
    Sigh...

Samurais. Ninjas. Legioners. Knights. Every army in history, armed with all kind of weapons and firepower. I'm not even going to bother and talk about fighting techniques, strategy, tactics and inventions. Almost everything regarding to warfare and fighting was founded and perfected by males. Mostly participated by males as well.

Why is that, do you know?

Mentioning sport is irrelevant, as it's governed by certain rules to make it fair for all. There's no term as "fairness" on a battlefield.
    Last edited by IChallengeYou!; May 09, 2012 at 01:45 PM.

7. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by IChallengeYou! View Post
    Sigh...

Samurais. Ninjas. Legioners. Knights. Every army in history, armed with all kind of weapons and firepower. I'm not even going to bother and talk about fighting techniques, strategy, tactics and inventions. Almost everything regarding to warfare and fighting was founded and perfected by males. Mostly participated by males as well.

Why is that, do you know?
    The reason women in past era's weren't considered suited to have jobs or were somehow not as intelligent as men.

When a culture has a value like that it makes it extraordinarily difficult for women to have an equal chance at such things. Over the course of history there have been many extremely effective female warriors; when the opportunity was there. On the previous page I even told the story of Yim Wing-Chun and Ng Mui. Who created a martial art, parts of which are have been adapted and taught to U.S Marines to this very day. Some other names worth googleing would be such as Boudicca, Trưng Sisters, or Joan of Arc; if your looking for something more recent there were tons of female soviet snipers in WWII who were masters of their deadly craft.

I think the main reason you don't hear more about female warriors throughout history is the same reason you don't hear about effective black soldiers before about 1870. In that time period, it was thought black people couldn't fight as well as white ones and when one did it was dismissed as an aberration, or somehow shameful to talk about, unless they did something so spectacular it couldn't be forgotten.
    Last edited by Jammin; May 09, 2012 at 03:17 PM.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

9. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Delbi's Avatar
    Country
    The Wall
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Jammin View Post
    The reason women in past era's weren't considered suited to have jobs or were somehow not as intelligent as men.

When a culture has a value like that it makes it extraordinarily difficult for women to have an equal chance at such things. Over the course of history there have been many extremely effective female warriors; when the opportunity was there. On the previous page I even told the story of Yim Wing-Chun and Ng Mui. Who created a martial art, parts of which are have been adapted and taught to U.S Marines to this very day. Some other names worth googleing would be such as Boudicca, Trưng Sisters, or Joan of Arc; if your looking for something more recent there were tons of female soviet snipers in WWII who were masters of their deadly craft.

I think the main reason you don't hear more about female warriors throughout history is the same reason you don't hear about effective black soldiers before about 1870. In that time period, it was thought black people couldn't fight as well as white ones and when one did it was dismissed as an aberration, or somehow shameful to talk about, unless they did something so spectacular it couldn't be forgotten.
    And yet even though you have this list of female martial artists, they are still in the minority in terms of overall numbers. There are far greater numbers of great male martial artists than there are females. I question could any of these females hope to defeat Bruce Lee in combat? To the death? If you put the greatest female fighter against Bruce Lee, could they win? Or not even Bruce Lee, any number of males who have all the experience, discipline and skill these females have, yet have greater physically skills granted to them due to nature.

No one is arguing that women can't be good fighers, or can't achieve great prowess in terms of fighting or martial arts. But the notion that a women, with the same experience and training as a man could best him when he is physically her superior is outragous.

This isn't a comic book or a movie. When you are physically beaten no amount of courage or fearlessness is going to help you when someone is crushing your throat or breaking your bones.

You speak of knife fighting. By virtue of a woman having less muscle on their body, a stab that could be fatal to a woman might not be fatal to a man ibecause the blade would have more mass to get through with a man than a woman. Or the fact that men are better suited to deal with pain than a woman from a point of actually dealing with it. not surviving it.

As for the manga and how Kishi represents females, I am hard pressed to find a significant male character that doesn't have character flaws outside of Minato.

Sarturobi, Jiraiya, Kakashi, Naruto and Kono are all shown to be perverts. Added to the sexist male sterotype that all men do is think about sex.

Asuma and Shikamaru to my knowledge are the only characters in the entire manga to smoke cigarettes.

All the psychotic characters in the manga? All males outside of MAYBE Anko.

Fact of the matter is all the characters in this manga have character flaws. Shikamaru was lazy, Chouji was shy and had no self confidence, Kiba was cocky, Shino was creepy and an introvert. The list goes on and on.
    Last edited by Delbi; May 09, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
    "The line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?” - Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn

11. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member IChallengeYou!'s Avatar
    Country
    United Kingdom
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Quote:
    I'm talking about militaries, not your daily jobs. Completely different subjects, completely different outcomes.

Quote Quote:
    Some other names worth googleing would be such as Boudicca, Trưng Sisters, or Joan of Arc.
    Ah Jesus Christ. I'm well aware of every single name you've just said. This doesn't change a single thing I've said: what men have achieved in warfare has been on a completely different scale than the contributions made by women. It's just undeniable and there's no way to argue against that.

Quote Quote:
    if your looking for something more recent there were tons of female soviet snipers in WWII who were masters of their deadly craft
    There were far more female pilots and artillerists than snipers, which let me correct you too, weren't tons, but rather singular digits.

Quote Quote:
    I think the main reason you don't hear more about female warriors throughout history is the same reason you don't hear about effective black soldiers before about 1870
    What?

It works this way. You compare:

1)How many men have contributed to war with their brains and bodies.

with

2)How many women have contributed to war with their brains and bodies.

Only facts, no theories. Use credible sources. Okay? Now, when you actually do that comparison, you'll see that the difference is more than in millions. MILLIONS. And now, I'll ask you the same question you so masterfully dodged the last time: why is that, do you know? Well, let me be the first one to point out a rather simple thing really...THAT number is the difference between men and women when it comes to warfare. When women are going to do the same kind of achievements as men did throughout all the years by dying, suffering, killing, and developing ingenious ways to kill and protect, on such a massive scale, only THEN you can try and equalize the both genders. So far it's nope.avi for every little argument against this enormous and well known fact, which has been written into stone for eternity.

Quote Quote:
    Sarturobi, Jiraiya, Kakashi, Naruto and Kono are all shown to be perverts. Added to the sexist male sterotype that all men do is think about sex.
    Exactly, talk about double freakin' standards. It's fine for males to be portrayed as wild perverts, but it's not fine for females to be portrayed...as...uhh...as claimed by some, "weak". Now watch, as some haters are going to come in and say that Kishi is right about males being perverts, since their brain is made up that way blablabla...So therefore, it's fine. Just you wait.

I mean, the female characters I agree on, they are cardboard cut outs for most of the part, with little relevence to the story. In other words, they're annoying. But, how can one complain against this when this manga has been targeted for male audience mostly, and to be honest, the main plot of this manga is having a neverending shower of shit. There are so little likeable things left about this manga when it comes to plot development and characters (main characters, mind you), which are actually far more important than dealing with the "sexist" bullcrap.
    Last edited by IChallengeYou!; May 09, 2012 at 04:51 PM.

MH Senpai 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member M3J's Avatar
    Country
    Vatican City State
    Post Thanks / Like

Considering the way Kishi's portrayed female characters, at least early in the manga, he's not sexist. Instead of making them a domestic housewife or females to be protected constantly, he actually gave them a role and allowed them to fight and take up the front lines. Sakura was deemed to have the best chakra control and the first one who protected Tazuna. Even as his bodyguard, she was prepared to risk her life to protect him, which is far different from the current Sakura that went "NARUTO, SAVE OUR ASS!!"

The way Kishi portrayed Ino vs. Sakura also indicates he's not a sexist. They hit each other, gave each other their strongest punch, came up with good strategies, etc. Tsunade has never been made to look helpless either, not counting her fear of blood.

I just think Kishi screwed up by makin the manga too central around Naruto. Notice how Tsunade and Sakura began to rely on Naruto, as well as many others. Kishi focused less on characters like Neji, Ino, Tenten, and etc while he made Naruto overpowered and popular with some character development, while giving Sasuke some attention as well.

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

To be honest I generally dislike this sort of discussion. The issue at hand is that basically anything can be made out into being sexist in some form. I mean, we could easily argue kishi is sexist because naruto is a slob (remember the few shots we have seen of his room?) and he eats crap continually. Isn't it too stereotipical for men to eat unhealthy food and not be clean? Its almost like stereotypically it is a men's gender role to be a pig so that women can fulfill their gender role of being clean and healthy. We could also argue that kishi is sexist because most of the skilled medical ninjas in the series are woman. Are men in the manga so overwhelmingly stupid they are simply sent to die in the battlefield while the smart women develop actual brainpower and skill? Or do we assume there simply are less ninja women than man? Or that the dominantly female doctor profession has the maid status in the manga(which is sexist against both men and women considering the huge implication of sheer stupidity on male's part)? Ultimately this sort of discussion gets so absurd that seeing a mom being a mom or a dad being a dad or an exchange between their functions ends up being sexist.

On another note, there are a few interesting facts.

Men are physically stronger than women on average. Testosterone does that.
    Women have higher tolerance for pain and are more sensitive to it. Men have lower tolerance for pain and are less sensitive to it.
    Women appear to be more sensitive to colors and smells than men(which makes perfect sense considering that otherwise from a man perspective women just keep making up colors and smells on the spot).
    Women are not as good at perceiving distances as men (which why on average women are not quite as good drivers as men... seriously)
    Women are just as smart as men. There was a time when statistics showed that women did not do as well as men in math exams however over the years they have gotten to be pretty much equal.

Those are a few but there are plenty more actual measurable biological differences between men and women. In itself, pointing one of these out should overall not be considered sexist because they are objectively true and have been measured. It should be considered sexist when actual inferiority is implied, gender roles are actually enforced or the context has nothing but gender roles.

15. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Re: Is Masashi Kishimoto Sexist?

Quote Originally Posted by Delbi View Post
    Fact of the matter is all the characters in this manga have character flaws. Shikamaru was lazy, Chouji was shy and had no self confidence, Kiba was cocky, Shino was creepy and an introvert. The list goes on and on.
    That's called decent story writing. Giving those who were intended to be part of the main cast real personalities. Or did you expect EVERYBODY to be like Minato?

Quote Originally Posted by kkck View Post
    To be honest I generally dislike this sort of discussion. The issue at hand is that basically anything can be made out into being sexist in some form. I mean, we could easily argue kishi is sexist because naruto is a slob (remember the few shots we have seen of his room?) and he eats crap continually. Isn't it too stereotipical for men to eat unhealthy food and not be clean? Its almost like stereotypically it is a men's gender role to be a pig so that women can fulfill their gender role of being clean and healthy.
    Not really. Not every male was a slob. Minato, Gaara, Sai, Sasuke, 1st and 2nd Hokages, Itachi, Nagato I could go on, none of them were depicted as slobs at all.

We could also argue that kishi is sexist because most of the skilled medical ninjas in the series are woman.
    Not really again. You forget Kabuto?
    Or that Madara implies Hashirama Senju's abilities are significantly above Tsunade's?
    He tells her she paled in comparison lol.

Are men in the manga so overwhelmingly stupid they are simply sent to die in the battlefield while the smart women develop actual brainpower and skill? Or do we assume there simply are less ninja women than man? Or that the dominantly female doctor profession has the maid status in the manga(which is sexist against both men and women considering the huge implication of sheer stupidity on male's part)? Ultimately this sort of discussion gets so absurd that seeing a mom being a mom or a dad being a dad or an exchange between their functions ends up being sexist.
    Again not really, We saw LOADS of male Medic-nins in the Chuunin Exams first 1-on-1 fighting rounds when Hinata had her ass handed to her. Or when Lee showed his awesomeness to the end and got caught by Gaara's sand.
    There were male medics when Neji and Choji were rescued in the aftermatch of the amazing Sound 5 VS Leaf 5 (Oh the good times when Neji wasnt fodder...)

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member kkck's Avatar
    wherever cookies can't get to me...(as if such a place existed...)
    Country
    Galactic Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

You kinda missed my point here.... All I am saying is that basically anything can be made out to be sexist in some form, its just a matter of finding an individual occurrence and relating it to some stereotype or whatever.

Now, the following is not actually relevant to the point I made earlier but whatever. We never saw how any of them lived their daily lives. We only saw a glimpse of naruto's living quarters and we saw that he was a slob. We really have no reason to think of anyone else in any particular way. I was merely associating that single instance of naruto being a slob to the stereotype that men are filthy pigs and women are clean and healthy (just watch every laundry or cleaning utensil commercial ever and you will notice the stereotype I am talking about). Also, you clearly are incapable of reading the word "most" (note, there is not a blank space before this parenthesis). If you note, I said most of the skilled medic ninjas are women, not that all of them are. We did see other medic ninjas but generally they have been nameless and unimportant at large.

Reviewer 上級員 / Jyoukuuin / Sr. Member blackjack612's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

You kinda missed my point here.... All I am saying is that basically anything can be made out to be sexist in some form, its just a matter of finding an individual occurrence and relating it to some stereotype or whatever.
    This. Everyone brings their own context to the material. Some will come with a near blank slate and allow it to be filled in by the story. Others come with a fairly rigid agenda, way of viewing the world and will pick and choose how the material fits into that agenda.

Now, the following is not actually relevant to the point I made earlier but whatever. We never saw how any of them lived their daily lives. We only saw a glimpse of naruto's living quarters and we saw that he was a slob. We really have no reason to think of anyone else in any particular way. I was merely associating that single instance of naruto being a slob to the stereotype that men are filthy pigs and women are clean and healthy (just watch every laundry or cleaning utensil commercial ever and you will notice the stereotype I am talking about).
    It's fair to point out that sexism swings both ways. There are a few posts quick to point out how females are represented, but a lot of male stereotypes are here too. You have characters like Tsunade who has ample cleavage or Anko who shows a lot of skins. Then there are characters like Sasuke or Sai who show more chest and torso than is probably wise for someone in their profession. Jiraiya, Kakashi, and Naruto are lusty perverts. But so is Sakura if the material is right. Then there are others like Sai who don't really react to that kind of provocation.

Also, you clearly are incapable of reading the word "most" (note, there is not a blank space before this parenthesis). If you note, I said most of the skilled medic ninjas are women, not that all of them are. We did see other medic ninjas but generally they have been nameless and unimportant at large.
    Is it really 'most'? The background medics seemed almost equally split among genders and there are other shinobi who are not strictly medical ninja but have enough skill to be relegated to that task as the need arises. Off the top of my head, notable medics are Tsunade, Shizune, Sakura, Orochimaru, Dan, Kabuto which is an even divide. Are there other big name medics I'm missing? If so, they're not coming to mind. Actually, now that I think about it, Sasori, Tobi, and Madara were also shown to have extensive knowledge of either the human body or genetics which puts them in psuedo-medic territory tilting the gender representation towards male. But the important point is that both woman and men were shown to be capable of exceptional medical skill. Each of the six characters I mentioned is top class and most have unique medical/rejuvenation skills.

The Naruto 644 Review is up!

Intl Translator 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Airgrimes's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Also, you clearly are incapable of reading the word "most" (note, there is not a blank space before this parenthesis). If you note, I said most of the skilled medic ninjas are women, not that all of them are. We did see other medic ninjas but generally they have been nameless and unimportant at large.
    Not really. I understood it perfectly and dont agree.

Just the fact that the best is male kinda makes how many others irrelevant.

Here you will find a lot of them are named:

http://naruto.wikia.com/wiki/Special...in&Gender=Male

Also, how many is ''most''?

Kiri is male, Kabuto, Hashirama, Sekka, C

For females there is Tsunade, Chiyo, Shizune but is Ino ''skilled''? MAYBE Hana... But I dont know if she has been shown to heal humans even.

Registered User 中級員 / Chuukyuuin / Member metalia's Avatar
    Country
    Spain
    Post Thanks / Like

Just to clarify some argument you are having here. I'm a biologist and I hope I can clarify for you the situation:

As occurs in almost every monogamic vertebrate, males are fitted to fight the individuals of the same species, because this is a requirement to achieve a good female: males have to compete with other males. Females, on the contrary, are focused on breeding and children's caring, and they aren't biologically prepared to fight members of the same species.

Now I talk as a naruto fan:

-The statement above doesn't matter in a fantasy world. Plus in naruto the strongest character is a woman (Tsunade) and the second strongest is also a woman (Sakura). So men "strenght advantage" isn't a valid argument anymore.
    -Strenght isn't very important in Naruto, as the most strongest characters (Tsunade and Sasuka) aren't the best shinobis.
    -Kishimoto is sexist because he doesn't include powerful/important/succesful women in his manga. Maybe he doesn't do this deliberately, but that doesn't matter. Was it too difficult for him to make Danzo, Shisui or Kimimaro as women? Those are just a few examples of powerful characters that could have been women without altering the lore, though kishimoto decided to make then men.
    -Other similar mangas are directed to the same audience as naruto (Fairy Tail, Bleach). They all have very powerful women at the same (or above) male level. So the "audience argument" also fails.

Hope it helped.

21. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member Ryr's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by metalia View Post
    Just to clarify some argument you are having here. I'm a biologist and I hope I can clarify for you the situation:

As occurs in almost every monogamic vertebrate, males are fitted to fight the individuals of the same species, because this is a requirement to achieve a good female: males have to compete with other males. Females, on the contrary, are focused on breeding and children's caring, and they aren't biologically prepared to fight members of the same species.

Now I talk as a naruto fan:

-The statement above doesn't matter in a fantasy world. Plus in naruto the strongest character is a woman (Tsunade) and the second strongest is also a woman (Sakura). So men "strenght advantage" isn't a valid argument anymore.
    -Strenght isn't very important in Naruto, as the most strongest characters (Tsunade and Sasuka) aren't the best shinobis.
    -Kishimoto is sexist because he doesn't include powerful/important/succesful women in his manga. Maybe he doesn't do this deliberately, but that doesn't matter. Was it too difficult for him to make Danzo, Shisui or Kimimaro as women? Those are just a few examples of powerful characters that could have been women without altering the lore, though kishimoto decided to make then men.
    -Other similar mangas are directed to the same audience as naruto (Fairy Tail, Bleach). They all have very powerful women at the same (or above) male level. So the "audience argument" also fails.

Hope it helped.
    Is Claymore sexist?

New Reply
Page 48 of 50 FirstFirst ... 38 46 47 48 49 50 LastLast