Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Sakigake!! Otokojuku by MIYASHITA Akira

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sakigake!! Otokojuku by MIYASHITA Akira

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    After all the negative things i said, actually i really enjoy the fact that we have 3 new students fighting for Otokojuku, that was a twist (still i wouldn't be surprised if Dokugantetsu, Eike and Henshouki were alive). I haven't read the chapter that reveals the other, but my bet is that they'll be related to Akashi (the second best 2nd years). Howcome the third years were revealed but not the second years? Actually i've been thinking about this scenario (though it's not very original) - it would be great to have a tournament where all of the good guys have to fight against eachother or at least have their evil counterparts (like evil clones or something). I always loved the evil counterparts in whatever cartoon or manga or anime i was watching/reading.
    1. One of those three who "dies" will return somewhere along the line in the "finals bracket".
    2. The only second-year that matters is Akashi, the others (like Edogawa) are essentially losers
    3. The "evil versions" of the characters...well, won't spoil it but something is close to that I read much, much later on.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

At which volume are you? SPOILERS HEAD!!!

I dared to take a lookt at volume 33 or so and they were still chasing Edajima's rival...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

At which volume are you? SPOILERS HEAD!!!

I dared to take a lookt at volume 33 or so and they were still chasing Edajima's rival...
    Spoiler show

As for why no new chapters...I've been busy and trying to work through Kinnikuman so Otokojuku has to remain on the backburner for a while.

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully now i'll get to read a chapter or 2 or 3 at most per day (when they do come) and i'll be able to enjoy this manga once again. Usually i don't like reading whole volumes or watch several episodes of a given anime one after another. But i don't know what happened with Otokojuku... After the Kyora i really felt that this is a godly manga and i basically read like the rest (couldn't stand waiting for ardneh's releases). Guy did a great job releases a chapter or 2 every day, but when he stopped that's when i flipped...

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Hopefully now i'll get to read a chapter or 2 or 3 at most per day (when they do come) and i'll be able to enjoy this manga once again. Usually i don't like reading whole volumes or watch several episodes of a given anime one after another. But i don't know what happened with Otokojuku... After the Kyora i really felt that this is a godly manga and i basically read like the rest (couldn't stand waiting for ardneh's releases). Guy did a great job releases a chapter or 2 every day, but when he stopped that's when i flipped...
    Ardneh takes his time like all scanslators, it happens. We all have lives, me included.

BTW: Personal opinion of the series (so far):
    -Intro Arc: A ton of fun (aside from Momo being a bit godly), short but fun fights with a few intense ones.
    -Kyoura Daiyon Kyousatsu: Epic from start to finish. (essentially everything from the festival and the rugby game to the final battle of Momo/Date)
    -Daiishin Paaren Seiha: Has some emotional moments (Togashi's story for the most part until it was thrown out halfway through), great fights, starts getting more gimmicky and had a couple snags (Date/Rasetsu)
    -Daibukai: For the most part it's all gimmicky fights now with a bit of story or emotional parts here or there...not as epic but still a ton of fun and hilarious in the "what will they think of next" way.

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay. Ataru which is/are your favourite manga/s? I really like Fonts (Snk is good too, but something is missing...), Grappler Baki (SOO, Garouden), Guyver. What do you think about Berserk. There's something stopping me from reading the manga, i tried twice so far (maybe because the volumes are SQ - shit quality) with no result... I also started Jojo (hated it until recently because i always thought it was gay and the animals having stands was waaay too much) but part 3 started the downside of the series (alright maybe part 4). Have you read Battle Angel Alita? Ow i also read Riki-oh, but it made NO SENSE to me. It started really well (great art, Hnk inspired) but turned... I want to be able to read Cobra some day. Also should i start kinnikuman (teamkinniku is doing great job i guess but the letters are too small)? Ow i recommend you Blaster Knuckle - about some black nigger (because he's a nigger in the manga, not a black man at the time) with iron knuckle and boxing style with guns and stuff who battles monsters. It's kinda like berserk, but lasted for 3 or 4 volumes. Ow i also started Parasyte (kiseijuu) a while ago but didn't finish it (story was interesting though). Any thoughts about Gants? Only saw the anime and 1 volume i think after the events in the anime and it made no sense (the main hero got defeated by the alien in one of the showdowns, then the alien came in the human world? and then some guy who seemed to use magic abilities appeared and i dropped it).

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay. Ataru which is/are your favourite manga/s? I really like Fonts (Snk is good too, but something is missing...), Grappler Baki (SOO, Garouden), Guyver. What do you think about Berserk. There's something stopping me from reading the manga, i tried twice so far (maybe because the volumes are SQ - shit quality) with no result... I also started Jojo (hated it until recently because i always thought it was gay and the animals having stands was waaay too much) but part 3 started the downside of the series (alright maybe part 4). Have you read Battle Angel Alita? Ow i also read Riki-oh, but it made NO SENSE to me. It started really well (great art, Hnk inspired) but turned... I want to be able to read Cobra some day. Also should i start kinnikuman (teamkinniku is doing great job i guess but the letters are too small)? Ow i recommend you Blaster Knuckle - about some black nigger (because he's a nigger in the manga, not a black man at the time) with iron knuckle and boxing style with guns and stuff who battles monsters. It's kinda like berserk, but lasted for 3 or 4 volumes. Ow i also started Parasyte (kiseijuu) a while ago but didn't finish it (story was interesting though). Any thoughts about Gants? Only saw the anime and 1 volume i think after the events in the anime and it made no sense (the main hero got defeated by the alien in one of the showdowns, then the alien came in the human world? and then some guy who seemed to use magic abilities appeared and i dropped it).
    Can we please keep those types of conversations out of a thread that is supposed to just be about Otokojuku?

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Okkay... When i started the topic it was meant to be about Otokojuku, but not ENTIRELY about it (the mod edited my topic - put a picture, wrote "[Complete]", etc). So i should start another topic just to ask you which are your favourite mangas?

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner dolpiff's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

we need moar chapters xD

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by dolpiff View Post
    we need moar chapters xD
    Unfortunately I'm a tad held up at the moment. I do want to finish the Daibukai arc...hopefully I'll still have time to do the Seven Tusks and the final arc, but it all depends on my scenario. (hopefully I'll have time in the next few days but I can't guarantee it)

So...any particular favorite fights?

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah how about we discuss the LAMEST FIGHTS and THE BEST FIGHTS? (i'll have to re-read quickly the chapters again in order to answer). Ataru?

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Yeah how about we discuss the LAMEST FIGHTS and THE BEST FIGHTS? (i'll have to re-read quickly the chapters again in order to answer). Ataru?
    Heh, it's all a massive blur (and I really need to review the whole series) but here are probably the fights I think are the most memorable off the top of my head (with the series nearly completely scanslated):

-A lot of Togashi's early fights, particularly the boxing match, Hien and Senkuu. (they just throw him away later because he just has his guts and brawling style...I never liked that)
    -Most of Momo's fights: Akashi, Date, Eikei, Jaki, Pharaoh, Red Thunder, Gouki (his fight with J I'm torn about because of how Akashi stepped in to help develop his inner eye, his fight with the Gandhara leader...well, it involved snowboarding so let's not mention of it again, and...let's not mention the Gekkou fight with the Nazi either)
    -Pretty much nearly all of J's fights were epic (Raiden, the first Henshouki fight with the candle, Manjimaru, the Genseki-ryuu, Hakuhou, Gobarski, the downtrodden boxer...probably the only one I can't think of real well for the moment was his fight with the Kokurenju leader with the snakes...but my favorite fights of J's were probably Manjimaru and Gobarski...and the Genseki massacre)

I guess I'll start with those.

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

For some reason some of the most memorable i can think of are Gekkou? vs Centaur. Maan Centaur was godly. Guy was kicking a football ball with blades on it... Epic. And the unicycle guy that defeated Senkuu i think ? It was hilarious but at the same time entertaining. And J vs the Black Boxaa. The fight was great and all, but maybe what made it even better was the relationship between those two, it was more of an emotional.

Gekkou vs the Giant Iron Ball

Worst fight - the guy that attached a spring on top of his head. Maan i swear i was really about to drop the manga. At that point every opponent that was introduced had to be accompanied by Raiden's sweat and comment that he has heard of that technique and that it was terrible, that it was the best etc. I WAS SO SO PISSED back then...

Generally speaking Date and Akashi's fights were epic.

Edajima vs the Quasimodo guy, maan Edajima bit him.

Edajima vs Hon! SOOO epic (probably most epic fight!!!)

Date vs the i-will-copy-your-style guy.

Jaki vs the chariot guy.

Togashi Genji's fights were sweet as well.

J vs Raiden, Togashi vs Hien, Toramaru vs Gekkou, Momo vs Date. Those were really interesting and their anime part was done really well accompanied by some creepy music that really made you feel the terror of the Sanmenken.

I think some of the most memorable opponents came from Pharaoh's side. The vinegar guy ? The introduction to Pharaoh (his "clone" made of flies). The guy that was thought to have no head (who was on Otoko's side fighting him?). The bubble guy, the hypno guy... At least their design was cool, and before a fight they wore masks and such, they just looked badass.

Homo (Momo) vs the the Chinese guy with the armour, that was a cool fight!

We should make a list with rip-offs. Maan not only is Kennou a rip-off of Raoh, but if you remember Raoh wanted to be known as Ken-oh (get it Ken-oh - Kennou)... I remember the Heart rip-off, there were 2 Yuda rip-offs i think. Falco - Senkuu. One of the guys under Kennou used a style similar to Nanto Sei-ken. Who else? I'm sure there were others as well. That first year guy with the brim hat (again?) looks like Jotaro Kujo in some way.

Would want to read your review, but i know you're going to mention mostly its good sides. Maybe my expectations were too high...
    Last edited by Freezer; January 21, 2011 at 02:03 PM.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

A few comments on what you mentioned of those fights (since I didn't get to those yet):

-Senkuu/Achilles is probably one of my favorite fights of the series and sort of the point Miyashita utterly goes anything goes with the fighting styles. I mean, the mere fact that Senkuu had to use an external source to defeat Achilles showed how unstoppable he was...not bad for a guy using a unicycle. Heck, except for maybe the Gemini fight, all of the Olympus fights were godly (well maybe not Henshouki/Centaur...but that set up the epicness of Gekkou's part, and Jaki/Zeus was just beyond insane)
    -Also agree of all of the Edajima fights, particularly the Hon fight and even the one before it with the head-guy.
    -Akashi's fights were for the most part good...the general in Ryouzanpaku was probably his best one though, but I also liked the one with the tennis player early in the Kokurenju section. I also liked the fight with the gunslinger in Alcatraz, but hated the marine part.
    -Date I'm hit or miss on. He had some great fights like the okama who used the crows in Pharaoh Sphnix but some of them I really feel torn on. The final fight in the Daibukai with Shuuran was only awesome for the infamous bluff attack, though. Though he had some better fights early on like his one with Momo and some parts of the Paaren Seiha before Rasetsu started that stupid flying squirrel bit. And don't get me started on that mess with the female fighter...
    -Wan Taaren vs.Kennou was boss, pure and simple. Sort of Taaren's version of Edajima/Hon.
    -Can't forget some of Raiden's awesome fights, particularly the ones with Enpou and early in the fight with the Ryouzanpaku leader. (with the clone Raiden that was actually the three monkeys) I love those monkeys if you haven't gathered from my scripts.
    -Worst fights...admittedly I agree that Manjimaru got a bunch of dummies after that awesome fight with J. (though I love the boomerang he hides in his mohawk) Also wasn't a fan of Toramaru's sumo fight with the first of the Khan brothers...and Hien/Dokugantetsu was ruined because they turned Dokugantetsu into a blabbermouth.

If we're going to talk of the sequel, though, I got a few interesting spoilers to mention having finally looked through the whole scans of Akatsuki:
    Spoiler show

Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

I don't dare click on "Show"...

Actually i was just reading Date/Rasetsu so i have a few questions:

Tomaru jumping into the sea of ignited oil was really cool.

Why did Edajima let Jaki do whatever he wanted again?

So why did Date let Toramaru get damaged, or why did he let Rasetsu catch him with the rings?

Rasetsu was in a way a chool character, because he was betting it all in his fight with Date, something that you don't see often from the villians. Besides he "gave up" his life at the end of his fight with Date.

T.Hawk - Leddo Thundda
    Dhalsim - the Yoga guy
    Chief of Kiba clan (Hokuto no ken) - Gobarski.

New Reply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast