Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/21/14 - 7/27/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by kewl0210 , One Piece 753 by cnet128 , Bleach 589 (2)
New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Thread: Sakigake!! Otokojuku by MIYASHITA Akira

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Sakigake!! Otokojuku by MIYASHITA Akira

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    I don't dare click on "Show"...

Actually i was just reading Date/Rasetsu so i have a few questions:

Tomaru jumping into the sea of ignited oil was really cool.

Why did Edajima let Jaki do whatever he wanted again?

So why did Date let Toramaru get damaged, or why did he let Rasetsu catch him with the rings?

Rasetsu was in a way a chool character, because he was betting it all in his fight with Date, something that you don't see often from the villians. Besides he "gave up" his life at the end of his fight with Date.
    1. Date sort of wanted to handle Rasetsu on his own. Thus he faked his trouble with him so Toramaru would dive right in, get knocked out somehow to "save him" and thus save him all the trouble of dealing with Toramaru for the rest of it. Honestly though while I get why Date did some of what he did (not trusting Toramaru and probably trusting Gekkou to at least be enough for Eikei is my best bet), I still think it was cruel that he at least couldn't let Toramaru have maybe Baron Dino or a longer chance at Rasetsu. But then again...compared to J, Momo and even Togashi (who pretty much is so unpredictable and so much a loose cannon that no one can stop him even with his limited skill set), Toramaru is probably the least skilled of the Otokojuku fighters at that time since he tried to use a self-taught kenpou style instead of just a trained ability or, in the case of Togashi, unpredictable, wild guts.

2. I think Edajima just trusted Jaki's rule over the school enough to let him control things for as long as he did. We know Jaki is nothing compared to Edajima, but he's still strong enough to put down any other dissenting force that came his way. And for the most part until Momo's group started shaking the apple cart, he just kept things in a stable, strong condition that allowed for Otokojuku to appear as tough as it did, even if it wasn't tough enough to, say, have enough for a Daibukai appearance. (but still strong enough to appear in lesser tourneys like the one where Jaki fought Zeus the first time or the one Eikei annihilated by himself)

3. Rasetsu is just such a weird bird to me: I like his portrayl, but he always seems a tad off compared to the other 3rd years. He did have a lot of great moments like early in his fight with Date and his background story we hear when he fights one of the Ryouzanpaku leaders.

Registered User 下級員 / Kakyuuin / Jr. Member
    Country
    Bulgaria
    Post Thanks / Like

Is Miyashita working on another project? I really wish you could answer whether Akatsuki is better or not, but i'll have to wait patiently when you do it one of these days...

And Atalu for the record, please don't give away spoiilers with your T-notes. I really like your comments, but saying that someone 's last fight ended just now and that for the rest of the manga he won't even land a punch doesn't really add to the enjoyment of the manga.

Just a minor offtopic. I'm not sure but maybe Ring Ni Kakero was the first manga that introduced some super-powered attacks and moves? What's your opinion on this? I'm asking cause i always thought that it's Hnk and DB that set the bar for really crazy attacks (like throwing energy balls, or fighting so fast that you can't see the chars moving).

Have you read Hakusho, if so what's your opinion of it, both anime and manga?
    Last edited by Freezer; January 23, 2011 at 09:04 PM.

Translator 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member StrangerAtaru's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Freezer View Post
    Is Miyashita working on another project? I really wish you could answer whether Akatsuki is better or not, but i'll have to wait patiently when you do it one of these days...

And Atalu for the record, please don't give away spoiilers with your T-notes. I really like your comments, but saying that someone 's last fight ended just now and that for the rest of the manga he won't even land a punch doesn't really add to the enjoyment of the manga.

Just a minor offtopic. I'm not sure but maybe Ring Ni Kakero was the first manga that introduced some super-powered attacks and moves? What's your opinion on this? I'm asking cause i always thought that it's Hnk and DB that set the bar for really crazy attacks (like throwing energy balls, or fighting so fast that you can't see the chars moving).

Have you read Hakusho, if so what's your opinion of it, both anime and manga?
    1. I don't try to spoil on Otokojuku. The problem is that sometimes it feels frustrating waiting for someone to fight again and they don't...that's why I do a bit of that in the notes.

2. No clue on Miyashita's latest works. I know he's still working on the Edajima origin manga but nothing else for the time being since Akatsuki ended. (he has done other series though...I remember that he did do one series for Playboy before Akatsuki started that some say somewhat is an alternate universe with Otokojuku characters)

3. I remember reading somewhere that Ring ni Kakero is sort of the beginning of the "modern action and sports" series in modern shonen. (at least in the Jump model) It's sort of the series that began having characters gain more and more absurd and super-human moves in the midst of their training and battles. Since the series started in '77, it comes way before the series that would start to take advantage and evolve it in their own way. (Kinnikuman being one of the first but later being taken by Toriyama and the rest...and in some way Kurumada further refining it through Saint Seiya)

New Reply
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3