Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (7/14/14 - 7/20/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 503 by Bomber D Rufi , Bleach 588 by BadKarma
New Reply

Thread: Tokyo ESP

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Tokyo ESP

Tokyo ESP

Episodes: ?
    Aired: Jul 12, 2014 to ?
    Producers: Xebec, Lantis, Rakuonsha
    Genres: Action, Comedy, Sci-Fi, Shounen, Super Power, Supernatural

Synopsis
    The science fantasy story Tokyo ESP begins with Rinka, an extremely poor high school girl who lives with just her father in modern Tokyo. One day, she is going home from school when she chases a "flying penguin" to the top of New Tokyo Tower—only to have "fish swimming in the air" suddenly appear before her. One of the fish goes through Rinka and gives her extraordinary powers beyond those of normal humans, particularly the ability to slip through solid objects.

Horosho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Tokyo ESP

A weird place to start, but still an amazing first episode. I guess this pretty much guarantees all of part one will be animated. Loved the Ga-Rei Zero cameos!

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Ok, it seems promising, but I'm a bit confused about what happened, because, even though I'm not following the manga, I'm pretty sure that this isn't the beginning of the story.
    Either way, the fights in this one are interesting to watch and also the plotdoesn't seem to be bad.
    I'll watch it and then I'll read the manga.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Zasz View Post
    Ok, it seems promising, but I'm a bit confused about what happened, because, even though I'm not following the manga, I'm pretty sure that this isn't the beginning of the story.
    Either way, the fights in this one are interesting to watch and also the plotdoesn't seem to be bad.
    I'll watch it and then I'll read the manga.
    The manga is split into two parts. Episode one previews the end of part one. Episode two should be chapter one of the manga. I don't think they intended new viewers to know exactly what was going on. They probably wanted to start the series on an exciting note, and build suspense before getting to character introductions. The main characters were not even introduced this episode. It was a strange choice, but effective. I had been a little worried before watching, but really liked how they handled it. A more exciting start then the manga, without ruining the story or changing anything important.

5. Thanks 2 Member(s) thanked this post
    Rewriter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Sounds like an interesting way to go with, surely that episode managed to get people interested/curious. Do you know how closely it is related to Ga-Rei Zero? I read it plays in the same world and has some characters seen in Tokyo ESP too.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    The manga is split into two parts. Episode one previews the end of part one. Episode two should be chapter one of the manga. I don't think they intended new viewers to know exactly what was going on. They probably wanted to start the series on an exciting note, and build suspense before getting to character introductions. The main characters were not even introduced this episode. It was a strange choice, but effective. I had been a little worried before watching, but really liked how they handled it. A more exciting start then the manga, without ruining the story or changing anything important.
    As always I must thank you for your help.
    Then I'll be looking forward to the next episode and see the beginning of this intriguing anime.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Sounds like an interesting way to go with, surely that episode managed to get people interested/curious. Do you know how closely it is related to Ga-Rei Zero? I read it plays in the same world and has some characters seen in Tokyo ESP too.
    Not very. Yomi, Kagura, Natsuki, and Tooru make cameo's in episode one. I can't remember if they have similar cameo's in the manga. They definitely don't play any role in the plot. There is no plot connection between the two manga (Ga-Rei Zero is anime only), Tokyo ESP is an independent story.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

As someone who came into the pilot without knowing much about what the anime is about, I was overwhelmed by the first episode. People started shooting and things were blowing up before I even got settled. It was a little confusing because I felt as if I was watching a climax of a movie and missed several key scenes before all the action started.

I love shows where characters have superpowers (like Darker than Black) so I'll stick around for the next episode regardless.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Good. That's reassuring, I was completely lost.

OK first episode but the villains could have chosen better costumes, I could not take that old man with super strength seriously .
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Asarii's Avatar
    Country
    Canada
    Post Thanks / Like

Okay, now this episode felt more like a pilot episode. We're introduced to Rinka -the protagonist and the white haired girl- and how people with ESP got their powers. I found it awesome how the source of the power are glowing fish. It's not just one or two floating about- there's a whole school of them swimming through the air so just as Azuma (?) said, there will be more people with superpowers.

It looks like those with ESP are split into two groups: those who try to use it for good (such as Azuma who pretends to be a superhero) and others who try to exploit it (the thief and the criminal group).

I had initial doubts about Tokyo ESP because the first episode was confusing, but this episode turned the tide around. I think we'll be introduced to the other characters, and it will lead into what's happening in the present timeline/Christmas.

Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

What a nice second episode it was and I'm already loving Rinka's father. LOL
    As for Rinka herself, she's an awesome protagoinst and her power could allow her to be deadly (other than giving us some other hot fanservice. ).
    Loved that they've allready shown us the source of the espers' powers and also given us an anticipation of what we will see in the future.
    Looking forward to watching the next episode.

Registered User 初心者/ Shoshinsha / Beginner theruleofflaw's Avatar
    Country
    Philippines
    Post Thanks / Like

An interesting start. The one-week wait is a killer, off to go read the manga.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Glowing fishes Better than last week.

Classic introduction with a bit of wackiness. Rinka accepted rather easily, she has a strong sense of justice.

This is not even Ecchi and the fanservice is one of the best of this fall , nice art. Villains could wear better costumes though.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

New Reply