Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Akame ga Kill!

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Akame ga Kill!

Akame ga Kill!

Episodes: 24
    Aired: Jul 07, 2014 to ?
    Producers: Square Enix, White Fox, TOHO animation
    Genres: Action, Adventure, Fantasy

Synopsis
    In a fantasy world, fighter Tatsumi sets out for the Capitol to earn money for his starving village, and finds a world of unimaginable corruption, all spreading from the depraved Prime Minister who controls the child Emperor's ear. After nearly becoming a victim of this corruption himself, Tatsumi is recruited by Night Raid, a group of assassins dedicated to eliminating the corruption plaguing the Capitol by mercilessly killing those responsible.
    Last edited by Skyguardian; July 02, 2014 at 12:37 PM.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity SharkBait's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: Akame ga Kill!

OP is pretty boring songwise and visually, while the ED is fairly forgettable.

Tatsumi is a great lead, Rabac perfect voice and scenes carrying the episode well.

Kind of a boring first episode not really dong anything and a predictable plot though did tear up when the shed was opened and it was shown to be Ieyasu in there

SoTaku is Love | Team Haikyuu!! | Team Hi-Fi Cluster | Team Food Wars!

MangaHelper 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Hakuteiken's Avatar
    Country
    Netherlands
    Post Thanks / Like

Bloody first episode. Not the most intriguing start. I wasn't particularly impressed by any of the characters in the first episode. Though, a slow start might happen, since it's two cour.
    Seems a bit too "shounen" for my taste, but we will see.

4-Star Loli-Hunter 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Skyguardian's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Kinda boring yes. Akame is adorable and cool but that's about it for now.
    We saw a lot of blood and a few good jokes now and then.

Was kinda obvious that those people were murderers after the stuff he was told at the beginning.

Well now he will be an assassin... At least he isn't a wuss.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I loved it. Very enjoyable combat. That alone will make this one worth watching, I think.

The characters and story seemed decent to me too. Hopefully we'll get some better villains as it goes on. The villains in the first episode were a bit too extreme because they were obviously foils rather than characters. They layed it on about as thick as they could. That whole thing was a little too far over the top, I thought.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

6. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm with Jammin here. I really enjoyed the first episode. Sure, it was predictable, but I already knew from the description he was going to join them. I had a feeling after the guard mentioned Night Raid that they were going to attack the estate, too. I like the male lead, Akame is kinda 'meh', and I really like Leone. She's spunky. Akame will probably grow on me, I'm sure.

I feel like the episode was a standard first episode. It does what it came to do: set up the plot, introduce the characters, and get things started. I'm looking forward to this being more interesting as the series continues.

8. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I dont know if it really setup the plot well, what is Tatsumi's goal? How will Night Raid help his village? The thing about the child king being corrupted by the prime minister just felt pointlessly throw out there with no direct relevance to the main character.

MH's Best Reviewer MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Jammin's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    I'm with Jammin here. I really enjoyed the first episode. Sure, it was predictable, but I already knew from the description he was going to join them. I had a feeling after the guard mentioned Night Raid that they were going to attack the estate, too. I like the male lead, Akame is kinda 'meh', and I really like Leone. She's spunky. Akame will probably grow on me, I'm sure.

I feel like the episode was a standard first episode. It does what it came to do: set up the plot, introduce the characters, and get things started. I'm looking forward to this being more interesting as the series continues.
    I'm glad you said that about Leone and Akame. Those were my feelings as well. I assume just from the way things were presented that Akame is the female lead but Leone definitely felt more like that to me in this episode.

Quote Originally Posted by SharkBait View Post
    I dont know if it really setup the plot well, what is Tatsumi's goal? How will Night Raid help his village? The thing about the child king being corrupted by the prime minister just felt pointlessly throw out there with no direct relevance to the main character.
    That seems like the nature of the setup though. A good natured but dangerous bumpkin finds himself swept up in something he really doesn't understand. We don't really know what's going on but neither does he. He knows nothing about night raid, the people who are a part of it, or what they hope to achieve; or the slightest clue how any of this could relate to making things better for his village. The whole time he was basically just reacting to what other characters had done.

This week was just him getting swept up in something. Next week hopefully we'll find out what; and with whom.
    Jammin's Recommended Reading
    The Gamer [Esp. for Everybody]
    I Don't Want This Kind of Hero [Esp. for Superhero/Comedy fans]
    Girls of the Wild's [Esp. for Romance/Martial Arts fans.]
    Ultimate Legend: Kang Hae Hyo [Esp. for Delinquent/Comedy fans]
    Otogi Taisen Fantasma [Esp. for Harem Fans]

MangaHelper 英雄メンバー / Eiyuu Menbaa / Hero Member kindredxiuxiu's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tatsumi wants to help his village, and if his village is getting taxed to high hell because of a corrupt government, being with Night Raid and taking down a corrupt government would help his village as well. He may also feel a bit of resentment from what happened with his friends. And now that we've been somewhat introduced to Night Raid, the next episode will hopefully clear some of that up.

And the prime minister controlling a child emperor is something relevant to the overall plot, even if it's not directly relevant to the main character himself. I don't see why something like that seems to be randomly thrown in, considering the MC now dislikes the government after everything that transpired.

Also, the series is 24 episodes, so there is time to continue setting things up.

That's just my impressions anyway. I think things flowed the way they were supposed to for the start of the series.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by kindredxiuxiu View Post
    Tatsumi wants to help his village, and if his village is getting taxed to high hell because of a corrupt government, being with Night Raid and taking down a corrupt government would help his village as well. He may also feel a bit of resentment from what happened with his friends. And now that we've been somewhat introduced to Night Raid, the next episode will hopefully clear some of that up.

And the prime minister controlling a child emperor is something relevant to the overall plot, even if it's not directly relevant to the main character himself. I don't see why something like that seems to be randomly thrown in, considering the MC now dislikes the government after everything that transpired.

Also, the series is 24 episodes, so there is time to continue setting things up.

That's just my impressions anyway. I think things flowed the way they were supposed to for the start of the series.
    But he expressed no interest to join Night Raid which is why I believe the goal to not be setup well or even addressed, he also display no interest or concern at trying to make it to the capital to satisfy that goal. It just seemed to be left open ended for what his interest is after not ever making it to being a commanding officer. Since people were already lying we dont even know if what the guard said about a child in command being controlled in the shadows is even true. Plot relies on too many assumptions which also makes it seem murky on the overall plot. Night Raid was also just doing random minor things against the govt too, so they may not even be interested in going to the top of the city, so going with them, is not really a good option for Tatsumi.

MH Senpai 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity MiyamotoMusashi's Avatar
    Country
    Marine Headquarters
    Post Thanks / Like

Spoiler:

Spoiler show

Registered User 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zasz's Avatar
    Country
    Italy
    Post Thanks / Like

Violence, fountains of blood, corrupted trash that must be disposed of and assassins that are serving a just cause.
    Hmm, despite its predictability, I think I'm going to like this show, also because the main characters' seem to be intriguing.
    Looking forward to watching the next episode and the next bath of blood.

MangaHelper 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Demonspeed's Avatar
    Country
    France
    Post Thanks / Like

Good animation, pace, Iwasaki's music, no heavy censorship, this is better than expected.

I still can't believe Tatsumi was naive enough to give all his money like that.
    http://mangahelpers.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic172142_25.gif

News Writer 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Zeltrax's Avatar
    Country
    Singapore
    Post Thanks / Like

Akame ga Kill is good, don't let the first episode fool you.
    DAMNIT THIS EPISODE WAS GOOD AND THE ANIME IS FINALLY HERE I FEEL LIKE A DAMN FANBOY.
    But seriously whitefox better not mess this one up it has so much potential as an anime, the manga itself is really good too(dropping a recommendation here).

And for people who think this as "just another shounen", you will be proven wrong in the future(provided whitefox don't messed shit up).

That said I felt the first episode could be a little slow, they kindda rushed last part took some of the emotional impact away and still-shots are really not my thing either. But overall still awesome.

Whoa, Akame Ga Kill anime I am so happy I don't think I need a nap before Brazil VS Germany.

---------- Post added at 11:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:36 PM ----------

But he expressed no interest to join Night Raid which is why I believe the goal to not be setup well or even addressed, he also display no interest or concern at trying to make it to the capital to satisfy that goal. It just seemed to be left open ended for what his interest is after not ever making it to being a commanding officer. Since people were already lying we dont even know if what the guard said about a child in command being controlled in the shadows is even true. Plot relies on too many assumptions which also makes it seem murky on the overall plot. Night Raid was also just doing random minor things against the govt too, so they may not even be interested in going to the top of the city, so going with them, is not really a good option for Tatsumi.
    His goal is to save his village from poverty to bring home wealth but after coming into the capital and facing a potential corrupted government imposing high tax and causing suffering to his villages and all other villages as well, our righteous hero can't just do nothing right?

Even without reading the manga, anyone that watched this first episode would tell you that there is something seriously wrong with the capital if something like the family being a mass murderer pass by the govt's eyes.

Plot relies on what assumption again? There is no assumption in Tatsumi's goal and there is every right to believe that the Capital is a dark place and that is only possible because of a corrupted government, just link A to B. The soldier wasn't lying, he had no reason to. He was just moving the narrative. Obviously this guy isn't just any hired scum he was the same guy that repented on his actions before his death.

Of course he had no interest at first to join the Night Raid. His initial impression of the Capital and the soldiers was that they were the good guys which was why he wanted to fight for them and that the Night Raid was the bad guys. I wonder if that perspective will change after this episode?
    Last edited by Zeltrax; July 08, 2014 at 10:46 AM.

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

While I am not particularly attached to the series yet, I see great potency. The concept of a group of assassins fighting bad guys is something I like. Since it is only first episode out I didn't expect much from characters or the plot, but we've seen basic ones. I would be interesting to see how this "pure" young man from village will play a part in a revolution of the capital. And of course, some nice action scenes. At first I thought the series lack blood, but then those cuts near the end of the episode made me went "urgh" a bit, lol. But at least it's still tolerable. I've seen worse~ *coughBlood-Ccough*

New Reply
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast