Not a member? Register now!
Announcements
Manga returns! Catch up with the details. Enjoy downloading, translating, and scanlating manga HERE legally!
Like us on Facebook, follow us on Twitter! Celebrate another year with MH and read our yearbook.
Manga News: Check out this week's new manga (9/8/14 - 9/14/14).
Forum News: Visit new sections for Nisekoi and Kingdom!
Translations: Gintama 510 (2) , Naruto 692 by aegon-rokudo , Bleach 595 by BadKarma
New Reply
Page 29 of 64 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast

Thread: What are You Watching and What is Next on Your List?

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Re: What anime are you watching and next on your list?

Quote Originally Posted by phio_chan View Post
    Hello, world. I finally finished Neon Genesis Evangelion and End of Evangelion.

Current status: a mid-level mental confusion. I need to excuse myself very soon.

What I want to say about the series is that it is great in its own way. Starting from the very first episode of the 26-episode of NGE, I think the basic plot is good, as well as the characters used for the plot. For me the characters are real; as annoying and confusing as they could be, they all have painful stories that make up to who they are throughout the story. Plot wise, well, I think it's the most confusing part of the series. I'm still trying to connect the pieces of information to form one big story line to help me understand the story better, but I guess I get the general idea. The message is probably simple, but delivered in such a way to make you think a bit deeper about it.

The presentation of the series is rather 'serious' with the blood and rather sexual-related scenes, but otherwise, it's a good series.

I'm planning to take a break from thinking and will probably find a laid-back slice of life anime after this. Continuing the second season of Natsume Yuujinchou sounds like a good idea. XD
    Go and watch the damn Evangelion Rebuild movies, don't you dare ignore them <___< I believe you will definitely enjoy them more than the anime, the second movie still is one of the best ones I've seen.

Wrecking Ball 有名人 / Yuumeijin / Celebrity Doraku's Avatar
    Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

I'm just recently rewatching the EoE too. Another Anime that I finished for the last two weeks were Kaiba. Masaaki Yuasa really knows how to do his job. The story is great, a mix between mental problems (amnesia) and SciFi. The message about life ideals, told in a simple yet complex occasionally, Kaiba is definitely a must-watch recommendation from me.

The next Anime in my to-watch list: Tekkonkinkreet and Nisemonogatari, but first I think I have to finish Mawaru Penguindrum soon.

3. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Harasho 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member Kaiten's Avatar
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Tekkonkinkreet is spectacular. I promise you'll like it. Other than Redline, I can not think of a better animated anime. I own the DVD, I need to upgrade to BD soon.

I never finished Nisemonogatari. That is also high on my list. I loved Bakamonogatari, of course.

Light and Shadow 伝説メンバー / Densetsu / Legendary Member naruto-niichan's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten View Post
    Tekkonkinkreet is spectacular. I promise you'll like it. Other than Redline, I can not think of a better animated anime. I own the DVD, I need to upgrade to BD soon.

I never finished Nisemonogatari. That is also high on my list. I loved Bakamonogatari, of course.
    Probably trying Tekkonkinkreet next too, heard a lot of good stuff about it.

And I can assure you that Nisemono is as good as Bakemono

MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by naruto-niichan View Post
    Go and watch the damn Evangelion Rebuild movies, don't you dare ignore them <___< I believe you will definitely enjoy them more than the anime, the second movie still is one of the best ones I've seen.
    Hey I'm not saying I won't watch it. I think I definitely will, given how I feel like I still need more of the plot. Just not now.

Well to make you happy I've addedTekkonkinkreet, Bakemonogatari, and Nisemonogatari to my to-watch list. Hopefully I'll get there soon after clearing other debts.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

tuturu. I finished Steins;Gate. Wow. I really have no rational, objective things to say about this anime. An all time classic, comparable to the best anime ever made. I can't really describe in a forum post everything that makes this show great.

---------- Post added at 08:20 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

Next I'm going to watch Humanity Has Declined.

---------- Post added December 13, 2012 at 12:47 PM ---------- Previous post was December 03, 2012 at 08:20 PM ----------

Last night I finished Humanity Has Declined, a solid anime that left me with some mixed feelings. Overall it was a good title, but I feel like it could have been better. The characters were interesting, the premise was interesting, the fairies were unforgettable, but it felt like the execution was not always perfect. The first four episodes were good, fun entertainment. Episodes 5 - 8 were mediocre, but the last four episodes were outstanding. The series only then reached it's full potential. Overall I would say it was good enough that if a second season aired, I would watch.

I'm going to finish Nisemonogatari next, yet another series I started but never finished.
    Last edited by Kaiten; December 13, 2012 at 12:52 PM.

8. Like 2 Member(s) likes this post
    MH Senpai 九千以上だ! / Kyuusen Ijou Da! / It's Over 9000! phio_chan's Avatar
    Country
    Holy Britannian Empire
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished with Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou recently. I just so love this anime, with Natsume and Nyanko-sensei, and the moral messages of life it presented. Now entering the third season, as well as trying out Shakugan no Shana. It has been too long on my to-watch list, lol.

10. Thanks 1 Member(s) thanked this post
    Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to watch the Natsume Yuujinchou anime, I've heard such good things about them. I've read the manga, a beautiful story reminiscent of Mushishi, but have not watched any of the anime. Adding it to my list.

Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I need to watch the Natsume Yuujinchou anime, I've heard such good things about them. Adding it to my list.
    I've secretly put it into my nieces dvd with some other movies. Still waiting for a feedback from them. :P

Need to finally get over myself and watch further than the first couple of this seasons Magi, Shinsekai Yori, Little Busters, Psycho-Pass, K, Tonari no Kaibutsu-kun, Jojo and the second season of Jormungand. Some freedom around christmas should get me through some of these. And still have to finish Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou and up. :'(
    Last edited by Schabrak; December 17, 2012 at 05:48 PM.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

I finished Nisemonogatari this afternoon, an anime that only took me a year to watch
    Nisemogatari was as good, maybe better, than it's predecessor, Bakemonogatari. Now knowing what to expect, it was easier to relax and enjoy the superb story telling and characterization. Both are brilliant series, I'm dying to watch Nekomonogatari (Black) and Kizumonogatari. Anyone who has not watched the Monogatari series really should immediately move them to the top of their watch list.

Next up is K-On. Right now I'm looking for something light and fun to watch. I'd also like to see the show for myself, especially with Tamako Market debuting in a few weeks. It is one of the few prominent KyoAni shows I have never watched, time to cross it off my list.

Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Two anime I recently finished:

1. Jinrui wa Suimashita/Humanity Has Declined - A fun and gorgeous anime, but I have to say that the middle part was troublesome. Because of episode 5-8, I couldn't enjoy this anime to the fullest. Nevertheless, I'm also hoping that the second season would air too, I love the not-so-straightforward-humor part of Jinrui. Watashi is an adorable leading character.

2. Mawaru Penguindrum - I regret that I did not know this Anime earlier. Possibly one of the most underrated series of 2011, because its popularity overwhelmed by Madoka and Steins;Gate. Excellent character development, the plot is well-written and I couldn't ask more. Even though I could say that Mawaru Penguindrum is subtle or symbolic, I would say that what makes Mawaru so interesting.

15. Like 1 Member(s) likes this post
    Registered User MH中毒 / MH Chuudoku / MH Addicted Schabrak's Avatar
    Country
    Germany
    Post Thanks / Like

I can't see how it was overwhelmed by Madoka and S;G. All were great and Penguindrum had it's good share of attention when it ran. Just that some viewers couldn't live with how Ikuhara imagined the plot to go.
    Twitter - Firm but Fair

Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Schabrak View Post
    I can't see how it was overwhelmed by Madoka and S;G. All were great and Penguindrum had it's good share of attention when it ran. Just that some viewers couldn't live with how Ikuhara imagined the plot to go.
    To be honest I did not know how well-received Mawaru back then in 2011, I was taking a wild guess. Madoka and S;G are arguably the two most discussed series of 2011, and the fact that I just recently knew about Mawaru somewhat confirmed my believe that Mawaru is underrated. From what I've gathered, It was indeed had its own strong fanbase, but the hype does not last as long as Madoka or Steins;Gate. I might be wrong, but that's what I think about Mawaru.

---------- Post added December 25, 2012 at 09:47 PM ---------- Previous post was December 24, 2012 at 08:57 PM ----------

Today I finished Toki o Kakeru Shoujo/The Girl Who Leap Through the Time - Another Tsutsui's novel to get animated. The animation quality is wonderful, but not distinguishable. I found the plot is simple yet the execution is a top notch. One thing that I dislike is the suspense building part is too slow for my taste. The plot did not really kick in until it got to the 40-something minute mark, something which could annoy impatient watcher like me.

Country
    United States
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    Two anime I recently finished:

1. Jinrui wa Suimashita/Humanity Has Declined - A fun and gorgeous anime, but I have to say that the middle part was troublesome. Because of episode 5-8, I couldn't enjoy this anime to the fullest. Nevertheless, I'm also hoping that the second season would air too, I love the not-so-straightforward-humor part of Jinrui. Watashi is an adorable leading character.

2. Mawaru Penguindrum - I regret that I did not know this Anime earlier. Possibly one of the most underrated series of 2011, because its popularity overwhelmed by Madoka and Steins;Gate. Excellent character development, the plot is well-written and I couldn't ask more. Even though I could say that Mawaru Penguindrum is subtle or symbolic, I would say that what makes Mawaru so interesting.
    Humanity Has Declined sagged badly during the episodes about Pion and Oyage. Those episodes were just silly. The last four or five episodes were so good I would recommend watching the show based on them alone. Overall a show that could have been a classic, but fell short.

Mawaru was wonderful, one of the most intelligent shows I have watched in a long time. It's a pretty difficult watch, and almost complete nonsense if taken too literally. The use of symbolism and metaphor was above and beyond what I expect from anime, truly brilliant execution. The end was heartbreaking. Overall one of the most original anime I have watched in years.

Quote Originally Posted by Doraku View Post
    To be honest I did not know how well-received Mawaru back then in 2011, I was taking a wild guess. Madoka and S;G are arguably the two most discussed series of 2011, and the fact that I just recently knew about Mawaru somewhat confirmed my believe that Mawaru is underrated. From what I've gathered, It was indeed had its own strong fanbase, but the hype does not last as long as Madoka or Steins;Gate. I might be wrong, but that's what I think about Mawaru.
    Penguindrum definitely was not as popular as Magica or S;G. I only knew about Penguindrum because Hamy was such a big fan. Magica and S;G were unavoidable during the summer of 2011. I would not say Penguindrum was obscure, but it definitely was not a title non-anime fans, or even the most casual fans would have heard about.

Quote Quote:
    Today I finished Toki o Kakeru Shoujo/The Girl Who Leap Through the Time - Another Tsutsui's novel to get animated. The animation quality is wonderful, but not distinguishable. I found the plot is simple yet the execution is a top notch. One thing that I dislike is the suspense building part is too slow for my taste. The plot did not really kick in until it got to the 40-something minute mark, something which could annoy impatient watcher like me.
    Hosoda Mamoru has emerged as one of my favorite directors. Have you watched Summer Wars? I actually liked it a little more than The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". I'm really looking forward to subs of his latest movie, "Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki".

Country
    Uganda
    Post Thanks / Like

Humanity Has Declined sagged badly during the episodes about Pion and Oyage. Those episodes were just silly. The last four or five episodes were so good I would recommend watching the show based on them alone. Overall a show that could have been a classic, but fell short.
    Have to agree on this one. My favorite episodes are the third and fourth episode, where Jinrui makes a parody about doujinshi culture. The Pion arc is bad because.. Jinrui is trying to be dramatic, but it fell flat. I also love the flashback when Watashi became a mediator for the very first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten
    Penguindrum definitely was not as popular as Magica or S;G. I only knew about Penguindrum because Hamy was such a big fan. Magica and S;G were unavoidable during the summer of 2011. I would not say Penguindrum was obscure, but it definitely was not a title non-anime fans, or even the most casual fans would have heard about.
    and I knew Mawaru because you posted about it here. I could name last year Anime which are more familiar (to me, at least) than Mawaru: AnoHana, Tiger and Bunny, Fate/Zero, Children Who Chases Lost Voices from Deep Below.. but shamefully I never heard about Mawaru. I watched Utena, but never followed the news about its creator, so I was a tad surprised when I found out that Mawaru was created by him.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiten
    Hosoda Mamoru has emerged as one of my favorite directors. Have you watched Summer Wars? I actually liked it a little more than The Girl Who Leapt Through Time". I'm really looking forward to subs of his latest movie, "Ookami Kodomo no Ame to Yuki".
    Never heard of him before I watched Kakeru Shoujo, but probably I watched one of his works previously since I also watch One Piece and Digimon movies. Going to add Summer Wars to my watching list.

New Reply
Page 29 of 64 FirstFirst ... 19 27 28 29 30 31 39 ... LastLast